Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IQ Test (Raven's Progressive Matrices)

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post

Yeah I got that, you're talking about percieved difficulty. I actively chose not to adress it. Because I am not interested in that phenomenon.
    Considering that was my main point. . . sigh, eh, don't worry about it. Rant on if you please.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Considering that was my main point. . . sigh, eh, don't worry about it. Rant on if you please.
    Well, I was done three posts ago.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    It doesn't require a high IQ to remember that there are sixteen types of people, and to read an inter-type relationship chart.

Anything more is just icing on the cake, speculation, or anecdotal socializing. (I'm projecting, if you can't tell.)

I happen to think that Socionics is "right", and that the information exchange processes reflect underlying structures in the brain, but that is also not hard to understand, and is really not essential to the practical uses of Socionics.

The sheer number of patterns in this theory is massive, and thats not taking into account how they work within each other, in different types, and to what extent each types psyche changes that interplay. This is just flat out wrong, and it makes sense that you think this way considering you have never shown that you have been practicing anything more complex than this. You are practicing MBTI at this point, for all intents and purposes.
    Hey, feel free to PM me with any opinions about my type

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    The sheer number of patterns in this theory is massive, and thats not taking into account how they work within each other, in different types, and to what extent each types psyche changes that interplay.
    The only problem with that is that the logic of the theory does not do much with those patterns. That internal logic of the theory is simple, way too simple for dealing with all those patterns of observation. It would be nice if the reality of how people work could be that simple but nah.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    The only problem with that is that the logic of the theory does not do much with those patterns. That internal logic of the theory is simple, way too simple for dealing with all those patterns of observation. It would be nice if the reality of how people work could be that simple but nah.
    There are several schools of thought within the Socionics community that go far beyond Model A and basic intertype theory. You might want to do some research before making sweeping judgments like this.
    Hey, feel free to PM me with any opinions about my type

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    IMO, I think it depends on what you're studying about Socionics. To understand the basics of Socionics for instance, I think an average IQ is more than sufficient, but to understand the more complex aspects of Socionics then an above average IQ is probably required.

As for the average IQ of the forum, it is probably around one standard deviation above the norm like around 115 and the majority of posters hovering around 110 to 119. This is above average intelligence, but not anywhere near genius level intelligence.

As for approaching genius level IQ, which is 130+ and two standard deviations above the norm. The ones in the forum that appear to be in that range I can likely count on one hand. Those are the kind of people you talk to and you can tell they are at another cognitive level compared to you, which is intimidating and rare to encounter in life and in this forum.

Also, everyone should take this post with a grain of salt btw as it is mostly speculation.
    Yes. Above average IQ. I've never mentioned genius IQ.

You can't tell exactly who has 130+ IQ. This is an English speaking forum. And English is not everyone's first language. It's very likely that an individual has 130+ IQ and is not able to exploit it here due to his/her poor knowledge of English. I always think that if I knew English better you would take me more seriously. And this is painful. But I'm just 16, and I'm trying to improve my skills everyday. To really know whether a person is intelligent or not you should interact with him/her.
    KEEP IT LIGHT AND KEEP IT MOVING

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The sheer number of patterns in this theory is massive, and thats not taking into account how they work within each other, in different types, and to what extent each types psyche changes that interplay. This is just flat out wrong, and it makes sense that you think this way considering you have never shown that you have been practicing anything more complex than this. You are practicing MBTI at this point, for all intents and purposes.
    No, no, MBTI has no theory of inter-type relationships. What I'm practicing is a level of socionics that is just complex enough to meet most of my needs, and no more complex.
    Compared to some users, though, I'm sure that I'm at a pretty simple level. Socionics-Light, you might call it.
    If I need to learn more, I'll do it, but brain space is finite, and I've been wondering recently if quantum decoherence destroys the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics, and if it is morally right to date a woman who is much younger than me, and if hard cheese is a good or bad thing. (I'm leaning toward "good", but the jury is still out.)
    You've got to choose your battles.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 09-05-2017 at 08:05 AM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Yes. Above average IQ. I've never mentioned genius IQ.

You can't tell exactly who has 130+ IQ. This is an English speaking forum. And English is not everyone's first language. It's very likely that an individual has 130+ IQ and is not able to exploit it here due to his/her poor knowledge of English. I always think that if I knew English better you would take me more seriously. And this is painful. But I'm just 16, and I'm trying to improve my skills everyday. To really know whether a person is intelligent or not you should interact with him/her.
    I am speaking more in general rather than specifically. If English is someone's first language, it is much easier to tell then if it is someone's second language of course. In the end of the day, the best way to know is if someone took a certified IQ test from a psychologist.

If you took a certified IQ test from a psychologist and you got 130+ then I will take you for your word and believe you. Otherwise, it is just speculation and guessing if going by online impressions like I did in that post so I hope you did not take that post too seriously for that reason.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I am speaking more in general rather than specifically. If English is someone's first language, it is much easier to tell then if it is someone's second language of course. In the end of the day, the best way to know is if someone took a certified IQ test from a psychologist.

If you took a certified IQ test from a psychologist and you got 130+ then I will take you for your word and believe you. Otherwise, it is just speculation and guessing if going by online impressions like I did in that post so I hope you did not take that post too seriously for that reason.
    I don't need you to judge me by my IQ. I find it rude. I will never take a certified IQ test because it's completely useless. I've started this thread because I love IQ puzzles and matrices. Finding rules behind those shapes. I was curious about the feedback of others. IQ is just a number. And I don't need a number. I need some fun tasks.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I don't need you to judge me by my IQ. I find it rude. I will never take a certified IQ test because it's completely useless. I've started this thread because I love IQ puzzles and matrices. Finding rules behind those shapes. I was curious about the feedback of others. IQ is just a number. And I don't need a number. I need some fun tasks.
    My point is, I was not talking about your IQ specifically in my original post, I have no idea what it is and I am not interested in it. I was talking about the forum in general, but if you got offended by that, it was not my intention. I got carried away with speculation, which I tend to do.

Perhaps you misunderstood my initial post because English is not your first language and you thought it was addressed to you specifically due to quoting you rather than the forum in general. Nonetheless, your English is quite good as your second language.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've started this thread because I love IQ puzzles and matrices. Finding rules behind those shapes. I was curious about the feedback of others. IQ is just a number. And I don't need a number. I need some fun tasks.
    One thing I wondered is when the patterns can fit more than one set of rules, how do they determine which one is the right one? It seems to me that if you find rules that apply it should be right whether or not it's the rule they were looking for. I've wondered the same thing with word-based analogy tests, because those can also depend on what rule you decide to apply to them, and sometimes there are several ways to look at a set.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Raver: I get your point now. Glad to hear your opinion and, no, you didn't offend me in any way.
    @squark: True. This is why I don't really believe in IQ testing alone as a measure of intelligence. Anything can be interpreted subjectively (Ti) despite what general rules (Te) try to impose. Also, I agree that if you find a different rule than the one proposed by the test creator, your answer is valid, since you've followed logical principles to come to that conclusion.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

There are several schools of thought within the Socionics community that go far beyond Model A and basic intertype theory. You might want to do some research before making sweeping judgments like this.
    I saw them, but they still don't hold a candle to more complex scientific theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    No, no, MBTI has no theory of inter-type relationships. What I'm practicing is a level of socionics that is just complex enough to meet most of my needs, and no more complex.
    Compared to some users, though, I'm sure that I'm at a pretty simple level. Socionics-Light, you might call it.
    If I need to learn more, I'll do it, but brain space is finite, and I've been wondering recently if quantum decoherence destroys the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics, and if it is morally right to date a woman who is much younger than me, and if hard cheese is a good or bad thing. (I'm leaning toward "good", but the jury is still out.)
    You've got to choose your battles.
    Heh I think you chose your battles pretty well.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

This is why I don't really believe in IQ testing alone as a measure of intelligence. Anything can be interpreted subjectively (Ti) despite what general rules (Te) try to impose. Also, I agree that if you find a different rule than the one proposed by the test creator, your answer is valid, since you've followed logical principles to come to that conclusion.
    Yah, I once saw a demonstration somewhere about how you can make all options right for each question (in a multiple choice IQ test that involved mainly numbers). The thing is, it's hard to make these things 100% unambiguous in terms of what rule we want the test taker to find, but I guess the test makers decided 99% unambiguousness was good enough... or something like this. It gives you an advantage if you are able to sense what the expectations of the test maker are, sure. Such as, one way you could pick the best answer is, which rule is the simplest one. This is even logical, if IQ measures how well you can get and use knowledge to adapt to circumstances then it would be pretty sensible to go with the simplest and quickest solution that already works instead of wasting time and other resources on finding convoluted ideas for fun or whatever. And if the aim is testing the ability of managing in very complex circumstances requiring more "convoluted" ideas, just give very complex test questions.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

More comprehensive test

http://wechslertest.com/

Probably lower because I did this partially with pen and paper. I'm not that good at direct verbal confrontation settings either where those test are held. Used algebra on one age question and stuff like that. So probably at least -4 score from 40. I also prepared for it by looking at example questions.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• Correct Answers: 43/60
    • Percentile: 25
    • IQ: Below average
    • Group: IV +

Interesting. Perhaps I am a dumbass.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Hey @Limitless. What's with you posting here on the forum again. Wb. Cool about the neuropsychology program and the PhD stuff.

My quick thoughts/comments on what you posted...

Which textbook is the one discrediting IQ tests so to speak, do you have the exact title and authors/editors, etc? In what way are they discredited, can you make a summary on the reasoning. Just curious. I don't think any psychologist thinks they are some perfect measure or something like that, btw.

About the psychology theory parts - I wouldn't really say that intelligence is simply working memory. A good definition is about ability to use knowledge to adapt to the environment's demands. This involves many brain functions beyond working memory. Also different people have different ways of managing with situations. Different types of intelligences in that sense. In general, IQ tests are pretty well correlated with academic performance for example, though certainly hardly the one factor. They are less correlated with other aspects in life, sure.

Not sure which IQ test you were discussing when you said "the test". If by psychological buffs you just mean laymen, OK, I can access the tests at my university though, and yeah they are for the use of psychologists mainly. That doesn't really have to do with Wikipedia, which isn't an official resource for psychology.

I like the point on how it's best that one's interests (intellectual or otherwise) be integrated with aims aligned with society. I don't think however that someone liking to do logical puzzles like @User Name likes to automatically means they are also completely asocial and whatnot.

As for your bolded message - I don't know what thread you are talking about because this thread was created 10 days ago so it couldn't have made any forum member miserable for months. I guess you are thinking of another thread? Anyhow that sounds like the forum member just needs to figure out why it made them miserable and fix it for themselves, with some help of a therapist or friends possibly. Instead of shutting down a thread that other people have enjoyed for the information being shared and discussed. I hope that forum member will deal with the issue whatever it is exactly!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Limitless

I think you're right. IQ is meaningless, I said it. Socionics has some good points, but it's mainly theory and its assumptions are not always relatable to real life. Human beings are way too complex to be categorized into 16 standard groups. I can't disagree. This is the truth.

But I like Socionics. I see it as a way to understand better myself and people around me. At the same time, I like "IQ" puzzles, because they're useful for my brain to keep trained. These are my ways to have fun, music aside, which is possibly the most beautiful thing that this world has to offer.

Just because I'm interested in Socionics and in random problem solving it doesn't mean that I'm a socially inept who's completely detached from the real world. You can't judge a person only by his/her interests. I have friends. They're a few (because, from a theoretical point of view, they're the only one who can "turn my Fe Suggestive on"), but I have them. You're just making me feel inferior. And this isn't helpful.

You say that "Socionics/IQ" is a wrong correlation. True. But also "interest in Socionics and (IQ) puzzles/social isolation" is false as well, as @Myst pointed out.

If you like, I can close this thread. There's no problem. I understand (and share) your point of view.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

@Limitless

I am so proud of you and not surprised by this news. I knew you would find your way. <3

This news is one of the best things I have read on this forum. Now I am remembering a song I sent you once...

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Limitless View Post

It gets complicated by complex anatomy. Eye movements, saccades, are one example. For instance, they have been shown to play a role in visuospatial sketchpad working memory. This working memory loop, specifically from the superior colliculus, and also dorsal visual stream, to the dorsolateral frontal eye fields, comes back to the dorsolateral area, however; that is another reason why several professors adduce this region when talking IQ. So IQ is really interesting in that it is like a religion - both put a name to something that certainly generates some volition, breathes life into people, yet may not quite be the absolute truth yet.
    Hmm.. do you have any information how alternating strabismus affects on visual working memory. My visual memory is crap (granted that I don't pay lot of attention to it and yes, there are people with good visual capabilities and visible stabismus.) Movement repetition is hard.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

The science, as you said @Myst (how are you, btw? ), is a ton more complex than simply saying IQ = dorsolateral prefrontal cortex + posterior parietal + uncinate faciculus, which connects the frontoparietal lobe with the hippocampus, which is also essential in learning and memory, etc... But that's just it - this network I summarized is also essential as underlying working memory. Working memory does seem to be crucial to manipulating or engaging any knowledge, but working memory is similar in all people. Psychology's current working memory model is that it is comprised of a phonological loop and a visuospatial sketchpad, combined in an episodic buffer where knowledge can be further manipulated. The manipulation of reason you mention is true, and it actually is posited to occur in working memory.
    Hey. I forgot to respond earlier, sorry. I'm doing ok.

I'm curious, how did you get into this neuro stuff? I finished my Msc thesis earlier this year on a neurocognitive psychology topic myself

It gets complicated by complex anatomy. Eye movements, saccades, are one example. For instance, they have been shown to play a role in visuospatial sketchpad working memory. This working memory loop, specifically from the superior colliculus, and also dorsal visual stream, to the dorsolateral frontal eye fields, comes back to the dorsolateral area, however; that is another reason why several professors adduce this region when talking IQ. So IQ is really interesting in that it is like a religion - both put a name to something that certainly generates some volition, breathes life into people, yet may not quite be the absolute truth yet.
    Uhm, I don't really see a concept as a religion. I don't think it should be treated as such. Then that's no longer science, no longer clear impartial thinking.

The other physiological aspects corresponding to IQ, besides dorsolateral connections to various regions, are brain size and myelination. Both are genetically determined, so they are definitely suggestive of a global intelligence. Multiple intelligences also have some physiological substrates, including notably the posterior parietal for math, which is very IQ-ish. Emotional intelligence, like I said, is very medial and orbitofrontal. Kinesthetic intelligence may correspond to somatosensory cortex, maybe? That has not been discussed in class too much. Literary really is left-brained, as the old myths would have it, and spatial is right-brained (these two and working memory and processing speed combined as the four subfactors of traditional IQ). Musical playing taps into medial and actually deactivates the dorsolateral area. Interesting. The dorsolateral network of high IQ people is like that of low IQ people isntead of average IQ people, because both high and low IQ people have less blood flow to the region for the task, as measured by fMRI. IDK about natural intelligence correlates, but experiences of God actually correspond to deactivation of the left posterior parietal and dorsolateral areas, both of which are involved in solving IQ type puzzles. Pretty interesting to think of that!
    Haha, I didn't know about the God experiences showing up like that in brain imaging. It kind of makes sense tho'

Even in working memory, people usually have 7+- 2 on digit span forwards (phonemic loop = verbal working memory), which is 1/2 the WAIS working memory subtest for IQ. IQ is only measured in neuropsychology by Weschler as far as I know, although one neuropsych professor did say sometimes Stanford-Binet or SAT or GRE scores are used in remediation cases or cases of sparse funding. The expensive testing procedure for WAIS makes it so that many neuropsychologists only give IQ tests if requested, and I confirmed this with a clinical neuropsychologist lasts spring. The time for IQ testing is very short, and only 10 subtests are given, so if there is a discrepancy with the score and scholastic success for instance, academic performance is given more repute. Academics is interesting because working memory really makes sense as explaining why there is vissitude in student performance, i.e. I definitely think it explains why some students forget to capitalize or pronounce. Pronunciation, indicative of reading level through the Weschler WTAR IQ test, is actually the single other official Weschler IQ test given for clinical or research purposes, and this only takes a minute to administer. Sounds science-ish, right? So yes, there are brain areas that seem correlated with IQ. Let's be honest, IQ describes how humans love to make things smart and simple. It is a fun theory, but smart and simple historically have been shown to have limits. The highest IQs don't do anything, and I think that is because high IQ really is unremarkable, except in certain physiological cases. Pronunciation, I noticed, is something Marilyn vos Savant regularly encouraged people to learn to do correctly. There is a brain region correlating with both IQ and pronunciation, tied in with working memory. Also interesting how Marilyn encouraged pronunciation, but then, who knows what she knows?
    I really don't think any psychologist or researcher is supposed to simplify things down to just this one IQ concept. If you were targeting laymen with that, OK.

Lastly, the forum member who posted about his "low IQ" (clearly not the case, given not only the context of our discussion, but also his posts), for months, was suedehead. He posted a bunch of really sad shit about being retarded or something like that, and it was clearly not close to the case. It really made me sad for a month or so, whenever I remembered it. At the time, I reached out to him for an entirely disparate subject which he complained about, and of course I did bring religion into the whole thing there too, lol. Forgive me for bringing up religion into that cheesy post, heh, and forgive me for hypocritically mentioning my education and educators. The reason I did that was 'cuz I honestly figured the only people to read my post would be User Name and maybe Aylen!
    Oh suedehead was not doing it because of this thread tho'. He's kinda trolly. IQ is not the only one thing he complained about in himself. Many other things, if you search his threads heh

The model Chris introduced actually uses math to prove past lives and the Bible!
    Heh what assumptions does the proof use?

P.S. Myst, the text was written by Lezak, who recently published the 5th version through Oxford Press. It is called "Neuropsychological Assessment." The following is copied and pasted from the textbook:
    Thanks, read it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• Respuestas correctas: 59/60
    • Percentil: 95
    • Cociente intelectual: Muy superior al término medio
    • Grupo: I

I can tell you my actual IQ on a professional test is 136 SD15, though I scored 140 on the performance section which this test is similar to. Which means the true ceiling of this test is probably somewhere around 140, though it probably isn't that accurate at that range.

EDIT:
    34/36 on the other one. I think the IQ estimates you made for that one are a bit high, 144 is a too high for me. And the 2 I missed were just careless errors.
    To really test above the ceiling the test needs to be designed to measure that.
    Last edited by rat200Turbo; 11-12-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... Ok, did I ever indicate I gave a shit about what you are saying? You claim IQ isn't important - do I care? I don't even care. I don't give a shit about you... or your anti IQ crusade... Go away. Lol!
    Talk about a spastic!
    Goodbye!

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah well I've heard a harvard PHD lecture on how the people who claim IQ is meaningless are ignoring loads of statistics and are basically making a claim to make themselves feel better, I can even link the video of him saying just that, so...

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you're 19 years old and you are lecturing me on how I should get a PHD education before I speak about IQ... meanwhile you don't have a PHD - you just want one, I have 4 years of college psychology under my belt and you have ... what? Hmmm.. interesting.
    Yeah I'm sure you know more about psychology than Jordan Peterson, Harvard professor and PHD, at 19.
    Forget it you're way over my head, I couldn't possibly debate you on the topic.
    You're smarter than Peterson, too.
    You're probably smarter than all of us, honestly.

Hey thanks for telling me what Aspergers is, I never knew before now. Thank you for that
    So you argue psychology is getting perverted but then you adamantly support the self-esteem promoting "IQ means nothing" movement (which happens to ignore alot of data).

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giving too much importance to IQ test scores probably means you are not very intelligent.

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a world of difference between saying "there are other factors than IQ" or "IQ is not overly important" and saying "IQ means nothing", which seems to be what his point is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who ever saw a reason to argue? Why argue? I'm not attacking you, I simply posted a high score. You are going absolutely batshit after I took the test in the OP and posted it, mainly I posted it just to show what the ceiling was (and maybe to brag a little bit, but that's what the thread is). I mean, I have a right to post my IQ score in this thread.
    You clearly have some mental stability issues that are centered around your intelligence. I think you should just chill out and stop trying to be the best at everything. You don't have to be the absolute best at everything.
    The fact you've tried to kill yourself at 19 - you should focus on your mental health rather than your intelligence. Stop being concerned about your intelligence. Stop being obsessed with super high achievement... it isn't mentally healthy.
    You can get women easier with a less than ceiling IQ. Ok? It has advantages. Find a female, be happy.
    If you want to know the truth, hard work is pretty important and accounts for alot. I know quite a few very high IQ individuals who are sitting around masturbating and playing video games and have been for the last 10 years. So... don't do that, you'll have a leg up.
    Carry onward

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if IQ is supposed to predict how well you do on a theoretical physics exam, then why not give people the theoretical physics exam instead? It seems like an awfully weasely, round-about way of measuring something.

The IQ score is an easy way to benefit lazy, narcissistic people who want to feel superior without putting in the necessary effort (which *gasp* involves work).

IQ tests are also of incredible use to people who want to bilk money off the idiots who pay to take them.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish he'd write a book. lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limitless you've got alot of anxiety and thoughts on this matter, you just need to chill. I am not interested in turning this into some huge debate. I doubt I would dispute anything you can find evidence to support.
    Consider taking a GABA supplement, it is homeopathic and helps with anxiety. You have some racing thoughts, I bet your mind is scattered all the time.
    Maybe get away from the internet and let your mind relax.

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that makes alot of sense - the glutamate excitation problem that you have, I can sense some serious overactivity and anxiety in your posts. I'll say next to nothing and there will be this wall of text...
    I do think getting off the internet would help you, the internet definitely stimulates your mind in ways associated with the problems of excess excitation which you are mentioning.
    But it's your life, do what you want with it.
    Do you know what is causing the quinolic acid deficiency?
    From what I'm reading GABA, although inhibitory, can be excitatory in the developing brain, so who knows whether it'd help you. But I'm pretty sure GABA can regulate the expression of glutamate.
    It's likely you have an imbalance in your digestive system that's contributing to a neurochemical imbalance, it's extremely common in aspergers-like individuals and common in Americans.
    Try eating alot of sugar free oatmeal and see if it helps you. ... it contains GABA and if you eat it consistently it actually will rebalance your digestive system and help you to produce more inhibitory neurotransmitters. Diets like that can actually help clear up many aspergers like symptoms.
    Anyway, have a nice day

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

@Limitless I have not read the thread in awhile actually. Don't stress I didn't see the tirade but even if I did you are fine. I am not prone to holding tirades against most people.

It was just a weird coincidence that I posted a video of Langan yesterday. I went back now and saw that you did indeed mention him. lol Not sure how I missed the notification. I guess I was guided by synchronistic forces to post it here since I had missed your post where you mentioned him. It makes some kind of strange sense to me now. Anyway, I had noticed the thread was alive again and had just watched the video after it was posted elsewhere. I was looking for the right place to put it since I wasn't wanting to do a typing thread and "what you are watching" thread didn't feel relevant.

I just woke so I will read what I missed when I can.

YWIMW

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Hi! Sorry it took so long to reply... i am so so so so busy applying to grad school.... Any recommendations for researchers I could work with?
    No worries. Sorry, I'm not in the USA so I can't really give you recommendations.

Here's an article which substantiates the legitimate finding that IQ is actually working memory: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/tracy...b_4168628.html
    That article is full of errors (reasoning/factual). Maybe it's to simplify things down but they oversimplified it for sure. It doesn't actually claim that working memory is IQ, btw.

To answer your question, the only reason I'm interested in psychology is because of neuroimaging. Lol! It sounds awful. Also, I love love love the ethics, metaphysics, and ontology implied by psycholoigcal research. That combo is basically what impells me to do psych.
    Why do you like neuroimaging, then?

Recommendations for researchers would be sooo good! I will be applying to these schools by Dec 1st:
    Good luck

- Soooo interested in research at UC Irvine, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Cornell, NYU, but apparently I'm too dumb LOL. Get this broo: 47% quantitative, whereas 93% verbal and analytical. HAHA, I a sucky sucky That's reallly why I insist people here realize IQ has been out-ed from the closet as secretly working memory. If I wanted, I could probably find some researchers doing research on that topic, but unless its neuroimaging, anything in psych is boooorrrriingg lol!
    Hm, NFs are probably not very "quantitative", heh. That doesn't mean they can't do research, tho', I think...

I finished my Msc thesis earlier this year on a neurocognitive psychology topic myself

WOW That is wonderful broo! Keep up the fantastical work girly! <3 That is truly a great update. I want all the deets. How did it happen, who was your MSc adviser, what brain areas do you love, did you use certain equipment, etc. etc. ... Can't wait to hear all about it!!! Wonderful wonderful!!!!

Heh, thanks. How it happened, umm, ask a more specific question than that. It involved study by EEG on spatial navigation. Uhm, brain areas involved were mostly frontal-striatal and parietal (this is very generally put now). I don't think names of the advisors (two) would say much to you, because I'm not in the USA, again. Oh and what brain areas I love, lol, that's a funny question. I guess I do personally find some of them more interesting than others lol, well, ok, the ones that serve functionality for spatial and especially mathematical cognition (dorsal visual stream and associated areas, some other parietal and frontal stuff, hippocampal and associated areas, etc) and reward cognition (striatal-associated areas, some more limbic stuff, frontal, etc) and consciousness especially in terms of executive functioning (anterior cingulate, frontal, etc), along with general principles for organization of brain functions (certain lower level/older brain structures are also interesting to me here beyond just cortical functions).
    Last edited by Myst; 11-13-2017 at 05:55 PM.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I wondered is when the patterns can fit more than one set of rules, how do they determine which one is the right one? It seems to me that if you find rules that apply it should be right whether or not it's the rule they were looking for. I've wondered the same thing with word-based analogy tests, because those can also depend on what rule you decide to apply to them, and sometimes there are several ways to look at a set.
    When my daughter was being generally evaluated including an iq test pre-2nd grade, when she would give a non-expected answer the psychiatrist would ask her why she answered that way. For example, "Is milk pink? Yes. Why yes? Strawberry milk is pink." and "Do trains run on roads? Yes. Why yes? Tracks go across roads sometimes." The psychiatrist said it was a good thing I was going to be homeschooling her, as she'd likely have problems in school with her lateral thinking.

When I underwent my own psychiatric evaluations (pre-motherhood), I would be having conversations with the psychiatrist while he was testing me, and then also when I had forgotten a word from a list of words I was supposed to recite back, I would spontaneously say it, or if I recognized an error I had made I'd later give the correct answer. So basically, the testing + the conversation + mentally reviewing my own answers afterwards while still continuing with the test.

Basically, just saying that when going through an evaluation with a good psychiatrist, they take into consideration reasonings and behaviors not typically expected. But when doing with someone of lesser studies/understandings, and/or on internet tests, they don't/can't really consider other factors going on.

Last I heard, though, there's some other 'tests' being given these days. For one example, when my daughter was much older and we went to the neurofeedback guy, he had us use a handheld machine that tested visual/spatial memory plus reaction time. That was an interesting one. Though the guy was a bit upset that I was carrying on a conversation while doing it..at least until it sped up to a more interesting speed for me. There really was only one right answer, but it didn't require reasoning to get there, just memory and speedy reactions.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Basically, just saying that when going through an evaluation with a good psychiatrist, they take into consideration reasonings and behaviors not typically expected. But when doing with someone of lesser studies/understandings, and/or on internet tests, they don't/can't really consider other factors going on.
    That makes perfect sense to me. There's so much you can't see when it's just a multiple choice answer.

Last I heard, though, there's some other 'tests' being given these days. For one example, when my daughter was much older and we went to the neurofeedback guy, he had us use a handheld machine that tested visual/spatial memory plus reaction time. That was an interesting one. Though the guy was a bit upset that I was carrying on a conversation while doing it..at least until it sped up to a more interesting speed for me. There really was only one right answer, but it didn't require reasoning to get there, just memory and speedy reactions.
    Oh, that does sound really interesting!

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the OP, I don't particularly care for IQ tests and IQ discussions, but I like puzzles so checked it out. As I expected, I missed 4, with over 20 minutes left on the clock. I'm not a patient person, and 4 of those questions required a little more analyzing than I'm typically interested in doing when a clock is ticking away and I still have questions to answer. If given the choice I would have used the remaining time to look them over again, but we weren't given the option.

Back when I was in my early 20s, I underwent IQ testing with psychological evaluations. My score was over 145. Thus it was used against me when I was initially applying for disability. Yes, people who test high IQ and even higher than my own CAN be non-physically disabled. I get sick of people describing high IQ as if that automatically meant the person was high Conscientiousness and low Neuroticism. I'm the opposite: REALLY low on Conscientiousness, and REALLY high on Neuroticism. I always felt bad in school when my honors classmates were working their asses off to get their As, and I would only give the teacher just enough of what s/he wanted to get my A. I always felt like a fraud. These people earned their As!!! I was just working the system. In my mind, they were the smart and intelligent ones, while I was a fish out of water. A few teachers recognized that I wasn't engaged/interested in the work, and would try to encourage me to find something of interest that WOULD engage me. But anytime we did, my father would step in and fuck things up. So early on in life I learned that there was no sense in my even trying, just do enough to not get a beating.

I remember pre-Richard dating a guy who was a really good mechanic. He worked on all sorts of machines and was good at his job/hobby. I admired him. One time his teen boys convinced him to take an online iq test. He was sooo excited that he got 100 on it. He kept trying to get me to take it, but I didn't want to. He even got his boys to try to get me to take the test. He'd be telling me that it's ok if I scored lower than him. (I wonder if he thought my being on disability meant I was low iq??) I don't remember anymore what he said that finally triggered me into taking it..in front of them all, so I couldn't even hide my score from him. (Maybe he thought I'd lie and say high?) Anyways, when the score came up, his confidence and happiness just dropped...hard!! I kept trying to say that iq didn't matter, it was what one DID with what one had that does. I kept pointing out the smart things in life that he does, and the car problems he's fixed, and how valuable that is. And look..I was on disability, so it obviously meant little in the bigger scheme of things. Well, after he took me home he stopped taking my calls and wouldn't return messages.

So basically, iq is one of those things where damned if you do and damned if you don't. Supposedly I had it, but couldn't use it to help me function in our capitalistic society. And those who could function in it but didn't have the valued iq felt low. I'm glad to hear that things are moving away from iq.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, that does sound really interesting!
    If I come across my notes from the neurofeedback days, I'll be able to find the name of the machine that was used. Googling isn't giving me good results, and I suck at googling.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    For the OP, I don't particularly care for IQ tests and IQ discussions, but I like puzzles so checked it out. As I expected, I missed 4, with over 20 minutes left on the clock. I'm not a patient person, and 4 of those questions required a little more analyzing than I'm typically interested in doing when a clock is ticking away and I still have questions to answer. If given the choice I would have used the remaining time to look them over again, but we weren't given the option.

Back when I was in my early 20s, I underwent IQ testing with psychological evaluations. My score was over 145. Thus it was used against me when I was initially applying for disability. Yes, people who test high IQ and even higher than my own CAN be non-physically disabled. I get sick of people describing high IQ as if that automatically meant the person was high Conscientiousness and low Neuroticism. I'm the opposite: REALLY low on Conscientiousness, and REALLY high on Neuroticism. I always felt bad in school when my honors classmates were working their asses off to get their As, and I would only give the teacher just enough of what s/he wanted to get my A. I always felt like a fraud. These people earned their As!!! I was just working the system. In my mind, they were the smart and intelligent ones, while I was a fish out of water. A few teachers recognized that I wasn't engaged/interested in the work, and would try to encourage me to find something of interest that WOULD engage me. But anytime we did, my father would step in and fuck things up. So early on in life I learned that there was no sense in my even trying, just do enough to not get a beating.

I remember pre-Richard dating a guy who was a really good mechanic. He worked on all sorts of machines and was good at his job/hobby. I admired him. One time his teen boys convinced him to take an online iq test. He was sooo excited that he got 100 on it. He kept trying to get me to take it, but I didn't want to. He even got his boys to try to get me to take the test. He'd be telling me that it's ok if I scored lower than him. (I wonder if he thought my being on disability meant I was low iq??) I don't remember anymore what he said that finally triggered me into taking it..in front of them all, so I couldn't even hide my score from him. (Maybe he thought I'd lie and say high?) Anyways, when the score came up, his confidence and happiness just dropped...hard!! I kept trying to say that iq didn't matter, it was what one DID with what one had that does. I kept pointing out the smart things in life that he does, and the car problems he's fixed, and how valuable that is. And look..I was on disability, so it obviously meant little in the bigger scheme of things. Well, after he took me home he stopped taking my calls and wouldn't return messages.

So basically, iq is one of those things where damned if you do and damned if you don't. Supposedly I had it, but couldn't use it to help me function in our capitalistic society. And those who could function in it but didn't have the valued iq felt low. I'm glad to hear that things are moving away from iq.
    Wow, that's ridiculous that he reacted that way. Online IQ tests are known to boost your score to make you feel better about yourself hence why I never take them seriously because it is easy to score high on them. The only IQ test that truly mattered and was real was the one you took in your early twenties. It is very strange for someone to take a fake online IQ test so seriously and shun you because of that. Also, I think there are a couple studies out there that show high IQ is linked to low conscientiousness and if anything your example asserts this. However, thanks for sharing this, it helps put things in perspective.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast