Thread: Post Interesting Psychology Articles

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Post Interesting Psychology Articles

From forensic to Forer, everything is welcome here!

My recent focus is on the psychology of outward appearance in society.

/invites @Slugabed @Cassandra @Adam Strange to the party/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Thanks for reviving the thread, that was a surprise!
    This thread deserves more attention

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Small article about the history of gender roles/ attributes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5115265.html

- Blue and pink were once swapped around for boys and girls, and longer ago both just wore white
    - High heels were invented for men
    - Teaching/Secretary work were once male-dominated jobs
    - Lace was once associated with upper-class men and women alike
    - Men crying was a must in 18th-century theater!
    - Cheerleading was once occupied by men
    - Long hair and huge wigs were a medieval status symbol for males, short hair was like a degradation
    - As men get older, their desire of wanting kids increases
    - Brewing beer was invented by women

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Small article about the history of gender roles/ attributes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5115265.html

- Blue and pink were once swapped around for boys and girls, and longer ago both just wore white
    - High heels were invented for men
    - Teaching/Secretary work were once male-dominated jobs
    - Lace was once associated with upper-class men and women alike
    - Men crying was a must in 18th-century theater!
    - Cheerleading was once occupied by men
    - Long hair and huge wigs were a medieval status symbol for males, short hair was like a degradation
    - As men get older, their desire of wanting kids increases
    - Brewing beer was invented by women
    did you see Liev Schreiber's son was Harley Quinn!

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    did you see Liev Schreiber's son was Harley Quinn!
    Harley Quinn? Looked it up. I dig that! Cool, Bert They also made the outfit less sexist It's badass either way, that counts. Reminded me of Angelina Jolie's children, and Will Smith's, they're also experimenting and picking stuff from both gender markets which is really interesting. More gnc is needed

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The difference between True Love and Unhealthy Obsession: http://www.anewmode.com/dating-relat...thy-obsession/

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carl Jung on “Figures of the Unconscious."
    https://carljungdepthpsychologysite.blog/2015/04/08/carl-jung-on-figures-of-the-unconscious/

Jungs typings of celebrities according to this chart
    https://carljungdepthpsychologysite....ities-of-1934/

Last edited by Tallmo; 07-31-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chae didn't post the only gender fact that really surprises anyone though: boys used to wear dresses like girls.

Victorian boys in dresses, displaying varying levels of dis/contentment at being forced to sit for photographs in dresses for future generations to stare at

...And that was even mentioned in the article.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this site has a number of interesting articles on psychology topics: https://curiousmindmagazine.com/category/psychology/

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...y-barish-virgo

I think I'm dreaming... don't wake me up

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Hot Coffee, We See a Warm Heart, Yale Researchers Find - "Our judgment of a person’s character can be influenced by something as simple as the warmth of the drink we hold in our hand."
    https://news.yale.edu/2008/10/23/hot...searchers-find

Yale University psychologists show that people judged others to be more generous and caring if they had just held a warm cup of coffee and less so if they had held an iced coffee.

To test their hypothesis about the importance of temperature, research assistants casually asked that the undergraduate test subjects briefly hold either a warm cup of coffee or iced coffee as they wrote down information. The subjects were then given a packet of information about an individual and then asked to assess his or her personality traits. The participants assessed the person as significantly “warmer” if they had previously held the warm cup of coffee rather than the iced cup of coffee. On personality scales unrelated to the trait of “warmth,” the researchers found no difference in how participants who held an iced, versus hot, coffee responded.

“It appears that the effect of physical temperature is not just on how we see others, it affects our own behavior as well,” Bargh said. “Physical warmth can make us see others as warmer people, but also cause us to be warmer – more generous and trusting – as well.”

The demonstration of the power of temperature on character assessment has been supported by recent brain imaging studies, Bargh noted. For instance, the experience of hot or cold stimulus has been shown to trigger strong activity in the insular cortex. Researchers have also implicated the same area of the brain in borderline personality disorder, a debilitating illness characterized by an inability to cooperate and near complete inability to determine whom to trust.

This is interesting, something as simple as holding a cup of coffee can affect how we view ourselves and others. Our assessment of ourselves and others may not be as reliable as we had thought.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Friend or foe? Study finds anxious people make more accurate shooting decisions

http://www.psypost.org/2017/10/study...ecisions-49839

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

They're basically describing e6

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    They're basically describing e6
    And this is a post where I'd just use the dislike button with no like if we had one.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://heleo.com/conversation-how-c...r-brain/16689/
    In a challenge state, your heart rate variability improves. Your blood vessels all dilate, you burn stored glucose, you get an increase in testosterone, you get a depression in cortisol, you get increases in adrenaline versus noradrenaline.
    In a threat state, your heart rate variability drops. Your heart rate goes up, but you have vasoconstriction, so you’ve got all this blood rushing out of your heart, but it doesn’t have anywhere to go. Your fingers start getting tingly and numb. You get a burst of energy because you burn circulating glucose, not stored glucose.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...facts-science/

"Find out how the date got its unlucky reputation and how even nonbelievers may be influenced by our collective triskaidekaphobia."

I used to have triskaidekaphobia because of belief systems passed on to me as a kid.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bothered by Negative, Unwanted Thoughts? Just Throw Them Away

If you want to get rid of unwanted, negative thoughts, try just ripping them up and tossing them in the trash.

In a new study, researchers found that when people wrote down their thoughts on a piece of paper and then threw the paper away, they mentally discarded the thoughts as well. The results are published online in the journal Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science.

“At some level, it can sound silly. But we found that it really works — by physically throwing away or protecting your thoughts, you influence how you end up using those thoughts. Merely imagining engaging in these actions has no effect.”
    http://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/bothered-by-negative-unwanted-thoughts-just-throw-them-away.html

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Resiliency Critical To Overcome Effects of Bullying
    For the research, investigators hypothesized that resilient youth are less likely to be targets for bullying both at school and online, and that those who are targeted are less impacted by it at school.To test this concept, they used a validated biopsychosocial 10-item resilience scale to explore the relationship between resilience and experience with bullying and cyberbullying.The scale included statements like “I can deal with whatever comes my way,” “I am not easily discouraged by failure,” and “Having to cope with stress makes me stronger.”Items on the scale were designed to assess both the protective capacity of resilience as well as its ability to repair or restore equilibrium in the lives of youth when they face adversity.Based on a nationally-representative sample of 1,204 American youth ages 12 to 17 and living in the United States, results from the study found that uniformly, students with higher levels of resilience were bullied at school or online less often. [...]“We want children to learn and develop the skills they need to deal with problems, and yet we rarely help them engage with those problems so that they can grow in their ability to solve them,” said Hinduja.“Instead, we seek to constantly protect and insulate them — instead of bolstering their self-confidence, problem-solving ability, autonomy, and sense of purpose — which are all innate strengths."
    !

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Act-frequency signatures of the Big Five

Abstract
    The traditional focus of work on personality and behavior has tended toward “major outcomes” such as health or antisocial behavior, or small sets of behaviors observable over short periods in laboratories or in convenience samples. In a community sample, we examined a wide set (400) of mundane, incidental or “every day” behavioral acts, the frequencies of which were reported over the past year. Using an exploratory methodology similar to genomic approaches (relying on the False Discovery Rate) revealed 26 prototypical acts for Intellect, 24 acts for Extraversion, 13 for Emotional Stability, nine for Conscientiousness, and six for Agreeableness. Many links were consistent with general intuition—for instance, low Conscientiousness with work and procrastination. Some of the most robust associations, however, were for acts too specific for a priori hypothesis. For instance, Extraversion was strongly associated with telling dirty jokes, Intellect with “loung[ing] around [the] house without clothes on”, and Agreeableness with singing in the shower. Frequency categories for these acts changed with markedly non-linearity across Big Five Z-scores. Findings may help ground trait scores in emblematic acts, and enrich understanding of mundane or common behavioral signatures of the Big Five.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there supposed to be another kind of thought? Even "literal" is referencing a letter in a word.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Holmes and Rahe stress scale

"The Holmes and Rahe stress scale is a list of 43 stressful life events that can contribute to illness."
    ...And children have way more way harder. Bliss and ignorance of childhood my ass... This is why all the old fairy tales are terrifying. They have the burden of reflecting reality.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Hm, interesting. The only factors I have very high behavioral correlation with are factors 4 & 5. Perhaps I'm not as conscientious as I imagine myself to be as almost none of those fit - but how the hell can you go a year without reading a book?? And I'm curious - why not buying a book and not even reading a book and high conscientiousness go together. . . I wonder what that correlation is about.

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Hm, interesting. The only factors I have very high behavioral correlation with are factors 4 & 5. Perhaps I'm not as conscientious as I imagine myself to be as almost none of those fit - but how the hell can you go a year without reading a book?? And I'm curious - why not buying a book and not even reading a book and high conscientiousness go together. . . I wonder what that correlation is about.
    I guess the questions took into account frequency and/or strength of preference. Perhaps the trend with people who score especially high on Conscientiousness is that they only read that which is strictly necessary. Also, if you are the sort of person who buys far more books than they read, that sounds like a trait of low Conscientiousness.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    They seem to make "Conscientiousness" into a very specific thing about following rules to avoid uncertainty instead of just orderliness and discipline nowadays based on what I've read. Considering that's a common enough trait, it works statistically, but it doesn't really align with the standard use of the word, and I feel like there's quite a bit of a feeling of "people can't have multiple egotistically-useful traits combined!" in there. Successful people tend to be high on Openness and Conscientiousness IMO. I might have to link the study where people are baffled that people who like action films score higher than average on both and the researchers are shocked, but that's just what I'd call the Will to Get Shit Done tbh.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One study that directly compared a “type” instrument (the MBTI) to a “trait” instrument (the NEO PI) found that the trait measure was a better predictor of personality disorders.[5] Because of these problems, personality type theories have fallen out of favor in psychology. Most researchers now believe that it is impossible to explain the diversity of human personality with a small number of discrete types. They recommend trait models instead, such as the five-factor model.[6][7][8]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_type

Personality type theory is dead. Long live the personality type theory.

Several pop psychology theories (e.g., Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, the enneagram) rely on the idea of distinctively different types of people.
    Enneagram is categorized under pop psychology?

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    They seem to make "Conscientiousness" into a very specific thing about following rules to avoid uncertainty .
    That's interesting - as I'd associate that with neuroticism instead.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Carl Jung on “Figures of the Unconscious."
    https://carljungdepthpsychologysite.blog/2015/04/08/carl-jung-on-figures-of-the-unconscious/

Jungs typings of celebrities according to this chart
    https://carljungdepthpsychologysite....ities-of-1934/

Could you sum up what that figure tell us?

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post
    Could you sum up what that figure tell us?
    Read the text in the links, that's what I did. Jung explains quite a lot. But one has to contemplate about it for some time and read it many times.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast