Thread: INFjs, blood, gore, and violence

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    One reason why I haven't typed myself INFj - as many people have brought it up as a possibility - is because I love horror movies and macabre stuff. I want to buy a genuine boar skull to hang on my wall for instance (they sell them in some antiques shops and stores as decorative ornaments.) This doesn't seem INFj-ish to me. I think gore is overused in horror movies, but sometimes fascinating in a gross way. I've never seen any gore/real violence irl so I think that would traumatize me but in movies? Ew but not a big deal at all.
    @Sol
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuathe View Post
    I hate violence. Both physical and emotional abuse are very, very hard to stand and deal with (although the latter is a little bit easier than the former). That's the reason why it took me a year to watch the 1st season of GOT (I was curious why so many people watched and liked it) and why I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest. The worst nightmares I've had were those in which people were being tortured and murdered in cruel ways, and I was completely hopeless and unable to stop the acts of terror. It's painful for me to even look at any kind of physical abuse or serious injuries and blood that appear for example in TV series such as Peaky Blinders or Vikings. I can't help but shudder at it.
    this nails your typing as EII
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and sex scenes are awkward too. One weak Se thing I relate to is not knowing your own strength. Fear of maiming yourself or others. That was such a specific trait I saw in a description and I have it. I also don't like things like heavy machinery. I don't feel comfortable around those things.
    "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

TIM
    LSI 6w5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thought that somewhere in the world someone is torturing another man or harrassing a child or a woman truly saddens me very often.

My gf told me "you are the kind of person that most of the time thinks about things like the fact that somewhere in the world a husband is cheating on his wife, and becomes sad about it". I become sad about cheating, so you can imagine how the thought of torture and gore makes me feel...

I can't handle horror movies. The IT movie I was nearly forced to watch was terrible. All those infants dying...

Just reading descriptions off snuff movies can take me into a depressive and static state of mind for at least a week. I stopped an online friendship once because the other person was into gore.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these answers left me a bit unsettled, and here's what I came to think:

I remember this girl in a college class, we were watching artsy pictures of killed animals and this girl was "ewww they can't do this" and "awww poor kitty" and "uhuh nono I can't watch thisss" the entire time. Her reactions were annoying for me.. and at the end of the lesson I dared to ask, "N., are you maybe a vegetarian? a PETA member?”, and she "no." (with a pissed voice). So much hypocrisy, I thought.

Last night, while thinking of gore and violence in movies, and the reactions the types supposedly should have, I reconnected this episode of the killed animals to another lesson I went through while in college. We were talking about the moral repercussions of the display of sensitive pictures, is it wrong or right to show a corpse on the main page of a journal? Is it wrong or right to show extreme violence and so hurt some people's dignity and other people’s sensitivity?

These same ideas appear anytime some tragic mass event happens in a developed part of the world Vs what happens in poorer parts of the world everyday. You start seeing these angry "intellectuals" complain about how the pain of the rich are respected and not displayed, while "we see starving African kids dying everyday, with no respect for them".

I know I’ve taken this way broadly, but here's the whole point: some pictures are really important to awaken our consciences, that the span of our attention is very low when it concerns things far and unfriendly to us, only a metaphorical bomb can make us attentive. Which is not the case when our neighbors, those friendly and a bit snob guys who built the Tour Eiffel (for example), are going through a tragedy... we instantly recognize them and their pain; for some reason, they're closer.

I'm not a fan of splatter movies, but I like some horrors that depict a good level of psychological characters, a good suspense, a good graphic... definitely not a fan of the gorey trashy movies, but I'm not against "horror" just because of the blood it can appear or the discomfort it might cause. Actually… Psychological discomfort is one of the main tools to asses right and wrong, attraction/repulsion, distance or closeness, in a world, Fi.

Harmony, Relationships, Empathy, Sense of duty, Morality. These are the best, highest levels in which Fi operates, but these heights can happen when a person is so well aware of their inner states to recognize them in the other, but for these heights to be reached, we need to know their opposites, ie. = we need the experience of the bad states ( a natural part of human nature) in order to choose the good.

Fi is muted in its nature, its experience is placed inside. It doesn’t voice its motions, but reveals them through active actions that support the Fi sense of “emotional understanding” with the keywords mentioned above.

Externally, Fi translates as an ability to understand and empathize with the outside emotional states, because they are already stored inside as an inner catalogue that is made of all the psycho-emotional experiences they’ve been through.

The choice of Dostoyevski as the representative of a Fi lead describes well how Fi operates. In fact the characters of Dostoyevski are far from pure, saint-like individuals at peace with their conscience. This accurate depiction of humanity’s psychology is possible only in the extent that a Fi lead can recognize and analyze these same bad sentiments within themselves.

Dostoyevsky know well what immorality, mischieviousness, and betrayal mean, and their denouncement, empathy, the desire to surpass these sates comes with the highest levels of a sense of self understanding.

From these concerns, I came to type that schoolmate of mine as a SiFe, the outspoken expressions of her discomfort was a showing of Fi (demonstrative), but not utilized as a meter to use to actively change her world.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I kind of doubt this stuff... my sister made to watch Hostel and I pretty much covered my eyes most of the time. Why anyone would want to do that to someone is beyond my understanding... making someone physically suffer.

The thing is that I can easily separate the context. Stuff like horror comedy is absolutely fine when it is done for absurdity in mind.. things get mixed up where it serves as a platform for various views.

EII's can be bit blind to it.

Mindless stuff is just stupid (whatever it contains).
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking for the bio of T. Dreiser (I had no idea about him and his works) and just to support the ideas on Fi I expressed above, here's what wikipedia says about him: "His novels often featured main characters who succeeded at their objectives despite a lack of a firm moral code, and literary situations that more closely resemble studies of nature than tales of choice and agency." And even his life was far from the idealized holiness often mistyped for Fi.

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    I was looking for the bio of T. Dreiser (I had no idea about him and his works) and just to support the ideas on Fi I expressed above, here's what wikipedia says about him: "His novels often featured main characters who succeeded at their objectives despite a lack of a firm moral code, and literary situations that more closely resemble studies of nature than tales of choice and agency." And even his life was far from the idealized holiness often mistyped for Fi.
    (quoting this because it's much shorter than the stuff above)
    Wow, yes, overreactions like what you describe are really grating to me, and the people who do it are usually annoying.
    I personally don't like purposeless violence or gore. I don't like Game of Thrones or Vikings-- yet, Penny Dreadful was and still is one of my favourite shows of all times and it has plenty of guts and glory. With the former, it feels like gore is simply there for the shock factor, whereas with Penny Dreadful, all of the horrors the characters endured were fleeting agents of despair; darkness with a direction.

I was watching Gerald's Game with a few classmates one week ago. This was the first movie that actually made me go pale, even paler than I already am, and nauseous. I had to go out and fill my head with shiny happy people's stuffs just to even momentarily erase the thought of whole pockets of skin getting torn away as Jessie tried liberating herself from the cuffs. That, was too much. Maybe the psychological aspect of it was what contributed to me seeing everything as so repulsive, too.
    I was also pretty sick when I read the book-- I remember almost throwing up as I read about Gerald's corpse being devoured by a stray dog within the span of three. Detailed. Pages.
    I also can't stand gore that involves the eyeballs. No, not in a million years, no.

And I see where you're coming from with the Fi bit but I'll have to ruminate on that for a bit longer.
    You pass the exam, Lady Ooo
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yey

btw, there's a poll on the16personalities https://www.16personalities.com/arti...rsonality-type it's about how the types enjoy horrors... and although the types are not the same in the two systems we have that:

SiFe/ FiSe/ FeSi: the guys who dislike it more

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it depends on the medium.
    Cartoon violence, even cartoon gore is fine (think Tom & Jerry) unless it's too over the top (Mr. Pickles).
    But I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to raw violence on live action movies. I know it's all acted, but it's still... very uncomfortable for me. I generally avoid action movies. IRL gore you sometimes see on the internet has made me even physically sick.
    I must admit that as a kid, even cartoon violence was too much for me. The adult swim stuff I sometimes saw by accident by staying up late genuinely made me scared, lol.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must be Se, because I love the Vikings shows. lol. I’ve seen every episode. The gore in it doesn’t bother me that much. The most disturbing things I’ve seen in movies lately, to me, were in The Witch,
    when she was cutting up the baby.
    And in Heredity
    when the girl gets her head cut off (what was it, by a pole) and it shows her head on the side of the road.

im mostly desensitized by everything on tv. I prob wouldn’t handle it so well if it was happening right in front of me and it was real.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

There are very few horror movies that I like, other than ones that have a positive ending and/or are humorous in tone (such as Dawn of the Dead, An American Werewolf in London, Shaun of the Dead etc.). Rosemary's Baby might be an exception. It is certain that I object to extreme gore and misery for the sake of misery.

I think works that are satirical in tone have some merit, but I don't like it if it is too prolonged, too direct, not very aesthetically pleasing (!): A book/movie like American Psycho is supposed to be so overblown that it is obviously satire, but for some reason, in that example, overall, I find it "too much" (although perhaps I regard it as a "must see" movie). With The 120 Days of Sodom by the Marquis de Sade...that is supposed to be satirical, but I don't like the feeling that I am unable to know whether or not I am reading him at face value, and thus, I generally think it would have been better if he had not written it.

A Clockwork Orange is a book/movie I have long liked however.

I think generally, I dislike horror, black comedy, satire, transgressive fiction etc. compared to sanitized alternatives (e.g. dystopias, mysteries, plain comedy, screwball comedy, fantasy etc.), and yet I find them very powerful when they accord with my standard of taste - whatever that is. Perhaps I like things to be impressionistic, done in general terms, rather than brutally overdone.

If I was choosing a director to make a horror biography of my life, I'd probably choose Dario Argento.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I must be Se, because I love the Vikings shows. lol. I’ve seen every episode. The gore in it doesn’t bother me that much. The most disturbing things I’ve seen in movies lately, to me, were in The Witch,
    when she was cutting up the baby.
    And in Heredity
    when the girl gets her head cut off (what was it, by a pole) and it shows her head on the side of the road.

im mostly desensitized by everything on tv. I prob wouldn’t handle it so well if it was happening right in front of me and it was real.
    Reminds me of a little boy who plays with my daughter. He is set to become the next doctor when he grows up. He scraped his knee and had a bound and the scab started to peel off. I would have been very faint-y about it and would have had a hard time looking at it. He sat there in front of my husband and started to peel it off. I got queasy looking at him do it and I told his mom maybe she should put a bandage on it so it can heal.
    -

Eccentric Neurotic Narcissist andreasdevig's Avatar
    TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    It's a myth... My EII brother is probably into violent/gore things more than I am. He also listens to heavy metal/death metal... I think Se PoLR has more to do with direct confrontations and physical confrontations in real life. Se has also to do with "bluffing", threats and humiliations like "I'm going to fucking kill you" "I'm going to fuck you up" "You look like a pussy" etc. It also has to do with even just making yourself look physically tougher or more threatening. I think those are the things that Se PoLR doesn't deal well with.
    That's very relatable. I get so fucking triggered when people call others 'pussies', '******s', 'cucks', 'soy boys', 'beta males', 'alpha males', etc. I view it as extremely mean and childish.
    EII-INFj / INFP / Strong E4 and 9 energy / Melancholic-Phlegmatic / Musical-Intrapersonal-Spatial / Kinky-Sensual

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope someone's kidding when saying such things, otherwise they're complete idiots.

TIM
    no clue
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know an SEI that cannot stand violence. She is also vegetarian because she doesn't agree with eating animals. She also doesn't like it when people are overly pushy about their beliefs.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

We watch that movie was called “apocalypto” it was horrifying to watch the Incas sacrifice other people and I kept telling my husband to change the movie to something sentimental and warm. He said “no I like this!” Nah I don’t like watch people be treated like that
    -

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Are EIIs intolerant of blood, gore, and violence as the profiles say? Or is this a myth?
    Physical violence relates much to Se, so Ne types like it _the least_. Women, especially, being lesser aggressive by the nature.
    It's about the comparision of average between types, as individual difference may exist for any behavior. Also western individualistic culture has much of violence accent, so type's influence on this mb reduced.

If you notice above average interest to a violence/necro content at a woman - I'd think it's low possibly IN*J.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    We watch that movie was called “apocalypto” it was horrifying to watch the Incas sacrifice other people and I kept telling my husband to change the movie to something sentimental and warm. He said “no I like this!” Nah I don’t like watch people be treated like that
    Hi Maritsa. : ) I still pray for you and yours every Sunday at the moment of consecration*, in that glorious moment of the Mass.

Yes, the Incas and the Aztec human sacrifices are pretty horrific.

I just leave if something is on that is offending me. Its not worth it to me to feel bothered or offended; I have too much self-respect to put myself through that (maybe becasue I can get super-bothered or offended). There is always something to be done in another room. Usually my husband and I agree what to watch, though he will more often pick light over serious, and I get tired of light sometimes and likewise he get's tired of serious. But the fact is I am harder than most to please in that department.

Often it's guests that want to watch things I would never watch. So there is earplugs and a good book. Or an hour of some stretching on the floor. Or mail to sort, or a junk drawer. If I knit, I would do that. But I don't really; I have only done a couple of simple scarves and my lack of skill makes it an uninteresting undertaking. But I am going to order some unfinished needlepoints, where all the floral center is done and the background needs filling in. Times like this I could do that. Also there is always mending, provided you have a pile of that set aside somewhere. Something probably needs a button or has a rip or needs a hem adjustment. It is nice when TV time is over, if you did not enjoy the show, to have something accomplished.

And next time, you get to pick!

.................................................. .................................................. ...........................*->
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 05-20-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Physical violence relates much to Se, so Ne types like it _the least_. Women, especially, being lesser aggressive by the nature.
    It's about the comparision of average between types, as individual difference may exist for any behavior. Also western individualistic culture has much of violence accent, so type's influence on this mb reduced.

If you notice above average interest to a violence/necro content at a woman - I'd think it's low possibly IN*J.
    Se/Ne - that explains why my SLE son and I have such divergent taste in what to watch.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12