Thread: Jeff Bezos (of Amazon)

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Jeff Bezos (of Amazon)

quotes:

Your margin is my opportunity.

Life’s too short to hang out with people who aren’t resourceful.

There are two ways to extend a business. Take inventory of what you're good at and extend out from your skills. Or determine what your customers need and work backward, even if it requires learning new skills. Kindle is an example of working backward.

When it comes to space, I see it as my job, I'm building infrastructure the hard way. I'm using my resources to put in place heavy lifting infrastructure so the next generation of people can have a dynamic, entrepreneurial explosion into space.

The thing that motivates me is a very common form of motivation. And that is, with other folks counting on me, it's so easy to be motivated.

If you're competitor-focused, you have to wait until there is a competitor doing something. Being customer-focused allows you to be more pioneering.

What consumerism really is, at its worst is getting people to buy things that don't actually improve their lives.

In the old world, you devoted 30% of your time to building a great service and 70% of your time to shouting about it.
    In the new world, that inverts.

If you only do things where you know the answer in advance, your company goes away.

If you're competitor-focused, you have to wait until there is a competitor doing something. Being customer-focused allows you to be more pioneering.

I think that, ah, I'm a very goofy sort of person in many ways.

He looks pretty crazy. Apparently he's super paranoid about getting complaints from his customers. Doesn't seem good at treating his employees well, though.
    Last edited by silke; 10-10-2020 at 02:57 AM. Reason: updated links

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impression is some extroverted intuitive type, maybe ILE or EIE. Clearly attuned to new opportunities and to marketing/communication. Known for his need for despotic control over the company and not paying much attention to the needs of his employees (or apparently his own needs too, as he describes very vividly -- suggestive Si?). Some parallels with Steve Jobs.

-describes himself as "wildly overconfident"
    -doesn't pay attention to his diet
    -the importance of getting people's attention

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don´t say LIE.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

OP post picture #3. The filters are off and the Random Crazy shines through.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Please don´t say LIE.
    Lol, I don't think so. He seems to be a merry extrovert.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

LSE so/sx 6w7??

updated: yeah Te-LSE, and this video is a nice example of what sx in secondary position is like - he's wielding it masterfully

Last edited by silke; 10-18-2019 at 07:05 PM.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ILE- seems legit. He's got that wide eyed, enthusiastic, infantile gaze, lol.

Don't know much about him though, except he is now the world's richest man.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EIE. Capitalized on intuition of time (Ni) as it becomes very clear in his speech. This is usually the area where ILE ponders the trends but hardly never an action and later notices that it is too late now (so guilty of this).

Idea also involves lots of dynamics.
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 08-03-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With bold guys, I always make it a point to look up pictures where they were younger and still had hair on their heads:

Ergo: IEE. Yes, I know it sounds odd, but this is what a very gayish (in every sense of the word) IEE looks like...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

His eyes do not look at all.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I find Bezos to be hard to type. There is a point where childhood trauma or mental illness overwhelms type for me, and I think he is well past that point.

I had a business partner who was probably the smartest guy I've ever known when it came to computer software and electronics, and he was totally scary in his complete lack of real human emotions. He had all the humanity of a crash test dummy but also had a strong need to be seen and admired.
    After I asked him to partner with me, he built himself a huge house on a hill with great views of the surrounding land. He lived there with his wife and five kids and did the best work I've even seen on designing a real time operating system that ran on cutting edge TI DSP's. He designed the RTO system and the boards it ran on, and it all worked. It was world class, and he did it all himself. He was also able to spend every dollar and more that I was pouring into the company, and we eventually had to bring in an investor with even deeper pockets to support his spending.
    But I was visiting him one day when his "favorite" daughter came into the building to say hi, and he acted as if she didn't exist. Not that he was ignoring her; she wasn't in the room making human sounds. No one was there, other than the two of us. It startled me like few other things have. His whole life was like a false-front imitation of a human life. He had a vast, howling wilderness where his human should have been.
    Eventually, the business collapsed, he cheated on his wife with a stripper, his wife divorced him and took the kids, and he drank himself to death in his vast, empty house one winter.

Bezos reminds me of this guy.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 08-03-2018 at 12:05 PM.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post

I had a business partner who was probably the smartest guy I've ever known when it came to computer software and electronics, and he was totally scary in his complete lack of real human emotions. He had all the humanity of a crash test dummy but also had a strong need to be seen and admired.
    After I asked him to partner with me, he built himself a huge house on a hill with great views of the surrounding land. He lived there with his wife and five kids and did the best work I've even seen on designing a real time operating system that ran on cutting edge TI DSP's. He designed the RTO system and the boards it ran on, and it all worked. It was world class, and he did it all himself. He was also able to spend every dollar and more that I was pouring into the company, and we eventually had to bring in an investor with even deeper pockets to support his spending.
    But I was visiting him one day when his "favorite" daughter came into the building to say hi, and he acted as if she didn't exist. Not that he was ignoring her; she wasn't in the room making human sounds. No one was there, other than the two of us. It startled me like few other things have. His whole life was like a false-front imitation of a human life. He had a vast, howling wilderness where his human should have been.
    Eventually, the business collapsed, he cheated on his wife with a stripper, his wife divorced him and took the kids, and he drank himself to death in his vast, empty house one winter.
    This character description actually kinda reminds me of DiCaprio's character in the Wolf of Wall Street. I remember how much that movie shocked me when I watched it, and I've been around the block a few times. It's not that there is anything "shocking" about hookers and blow, but the main character and his clique live in a grossly distorted reality where they think they can get away with anything. I guess that is the shocking part, not so much the acts themselves but how they are protrayed, as relfecting a completely deluded attitude.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

^ He was more "I, Robot", than DiCapprio.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IEI

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Bezos reminds me of this guy.
    I must admit, until today I had only read about the guy (Bezos, that is), but after having seen the videos in this thread, it seems to me Bezos is out of touch with his deeper emotional world, and what we see on the outside is very much an emotional façade, possibly a smokescreen to hide what's underneath, not so much from us, but from himself in the first place.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That interview part: Listen the flow. It is not abrupt at all. It just goes on, never stops, does not define. Like static people would have.

Idea of his business: be cheap, handle logistics, minimize expenses and work hard.

Full of memory with rich detail. Maybe he is LSE after all.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff Bezos - ESFP - Napoleon

…Blood-black nothingness began to spin
    A system of cells interlinked within
    Cells interlinked within cells interlinked
    Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct
    Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Last edited by khcs; 09-09-2018 at 08:51 AM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    With bold guys, I always make it a point to look up pictures where they were younger and still had hair on their heads:

Ergo: IEE. Yes, I know it sounds odd, but this is what a very gayish (in every sense of the word) IEE looks like...
    Tbh I can see where you got this. I assumed he was merry quadra, but I watched that interview where he goes on and on about his family ties and how unconditional love makes him able to take risks, combined with him talking about wanting to do new and inventive things (ie sell books online when the Internet was young), and ok hm maybe.

I don’t mind @silke’s LSE typing, but I’m reserved about how Bezos talks so confidently and lengthily about meaningful relationships, and unless the worst is yet to come or he just got miraculously lucky, Ni polr strikes me as questionable for someone who has ridden such a long entrepreneurial wave.
    Last edited by golden; 08-03-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    ... Ni polr strikes me as questionable for someone who has ridden such a long entrepreneurial wave.
    Could you explain what Ni PoLR has to do with lack of success in entrepreneurship? If anything it seems like a booster, for it means having Ne "hidden agenda" and I've literally seen xSEs "light up" with new ideas and express lots of interest in keeping up with the news.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    Could you explain what Ni PoLR has to do with lack of success in entrepreneurship? If anything it seems like a booster, for it means having Ne "hidden agenda" and I've literally seen xSEs "light up" with new ideas and express lots of interest in keeping up with the news.
    Because entrepreneurship at this level works out better if you can predict where the market is going in the long run.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    Because entrepreneurship at this level works out better if you can predict where the market is going in the long run.
    So are Si-egos forever deprived of the option to be successful entrepreneurs?

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

entrepreneurship is characterized by high openness which is more intuitive. i think Si egos can consistently achieve a high degree of success in small business and in workaday or salaried employment, but theyre inherently less interested in gambling on perceived trends... they may nevertheless get caught up in a trend by opening a business they're passionate about that catches on and catapults them into big business. but these types are likely to say they never set out with that in mind. almost by definition Si egos aren't going to set out to realize a business dream based on speculation, why would they do that? that's annoying. its not like entrepreneurship is an honorific we're depriving Si of, its literally a form of antonym. its not that they're "deprived of the option", Si types don't really want to be entrepreneurs. true there are exceptions where any type can want anything so its possible, and some have probably succeeded, but they're the exceptions not the rule, hence its fair to say inasmuch as people want to do what they are good at and enjoy, it is unlikely that a Si ego is going to want to be an entrepreneur by trade. I would suggest if you think you see a legit entrepenuer who is successful it is highly unlikely theyre a Si and its not because there are Si egos out there wishing they had these skills and are denied them because we've personally defined them as outside their capacity, as if spite alone were enough to control their real capabilities. its because the definition tracks the reality on the ground and the unrealistic desires of anyone to be good at what they were not naturally gifted at, in an arena so highly competitive that natural talent, and luck, make the only meaningful difference, since everyone is already working maximally hard, can't change that
    Last edited by Bertrand; 08-04-2018 at 01:12 AM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    So are Si-egos forever deprived of the option to be successful entrepreneurs?
    I don’t believe I said that. We’re talking about the world’s most successful entrepreneur, and there must be entrepreneurs of all kinds out there. I worked for an LSE entrepreneur. Nice guy, had some success. Lots of energy and ideas. (He did lose control of his own company, though, unfortunately.)

I do think there is a reason why LIE gets associated with entrepreneurship and LSE with administration. Those two roles can overlap, ofc. But all else being equal if I had to put a stake on an entrepreneur, I’d go with an LIE over an LSE.

Anyway my point had been that I like your LSE typing for Bezos pretty well but I’m hung up on a couple of points and need more time to digest the possibility.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it really just depends on if he ever envisioned amazon becoming huge in virtue of the developing internet trends, and with them in mind intentionally set out to exploit them.. golden is right this is where admin overlaps, because with admin it may be he simply wanted to make getting books cheaper and more accessible to people, which is more LSE. he only needed to be passionate about the logistics and the general purpose and wasn't really thinking he was sitting on a zillion dollars. where LIE is more like, doesn't care about books or whatever, just sees the strands of time all creating a massive opportunity. setting aside Ni/Si its the difference between +Te and -Te

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a good litmus test of people's typing ability. Anyone who says anything other than ILE needs to reexamine their knowledge of the model. This guy is as blatant an ILE as feynman.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, maybe LIE is worth looking into more.

Not only is he described as a ruthless materialist who doesn't care about employees' wellbeing, but as being clinical and somewhat socially awkward. Very attentive to what is effective in the long term or not, "speaks in lists".

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 13858

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a sort of classic post about Bezos (something I actually read long ago but forgot about):

https://plus.google.com/+RipRowan/posts/eVeouesvaVX

The whole platformization strategy is an example of his demanding and long-term-oriented leadership style, the kind of foresight @golden was talking about.

(And btw Steve Yegge is probably ILE or (less likely) EIE. An entertaining read even if you don't care about Bezos.)

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post

He reminds me of someone:

Maybe they share the same quadra.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Hm, maybe LIE is worth looking into more.

Not only is he described as a ruthless materialist who doesn't care about employees' wellbeing, but as being clinical and somewhat socially awkward. Very attentive to what is effective in the long term or not, "speaks in lists".
    This doesn´t sound much like any LIE I know:

"Jeff Bezos is an infamous micro-manager. He micro-manages every single pixel of Amazon's retail site. He hired Larry Tesler, Apple's Chief Scientist and probably the very most famous and respected human-computer interaction expert in the entire world, and then ignored every goddamn thing Larry said for three years until Larry finally -- wisely -- left the company. Larry would do these big usability studies and demonstrate beyond any shred of doubt that nobody can understand that frigging website, but Bezos just couldn't let go of those pixels, all those millions of semantics-packed pixels on the landing page. They were like millions of his own precious children. So they're all still there, and Larry is not.

Micro-managing isn't that third thing that Amazon does better than us, by the way. I mean, yeah, they micro-manage really well, but I wouldn't list it as a strength or anything. I'm just trying to set the context here, to help you understand what happened. We're talking about a guy who in all seriousness has said on many public occasions that people should be paying him to work at Amazon. He hands out little yellow stickies with his name on them, reminding people "who runs the company" when they disagree with him. The guy is a regular... well, Steve Jobs, I guess. Except without the fashion or design sense. Bezos is super smart; don't get me wrong. He just makes ordinary control freaks look like stoned hippies."

If anything companies run by LIEs suffer from a lack of micromanaging because you know...interesting stuff to think about, next project, and so on.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE. Regardless, I'm confident in gamma.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way he talks in interviews, he does very much speak in detailed lists, which can be attributed to the vast sensory experience of Se.

Additionally, if he is SEE, then he has causal-deterministic cognition, meaning that he thinks in terms of overarching solutions. This trait can be easily perceived as "control freakish" by people who don't think that way. The way he talks about his business processes sound very CD.

From his mannerisms, I'd say gamma, so all things considered, SEE.
    Last edited by Desert Financial; 10-14-2018 at 09:27 AM.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anything companies run by LIEs suffer from a lack of micromanaging because you know...interesting stuff to think about, next project, and so on.
    I don't agree with this. HA Se can be a real son of a bitch. Additionally, the superego functions with LIE can lead them to think that they should maintain some kind of polished image, which can translate into micromanaging.

The bottom line here is that unhealthy LIE micromanages in the way people hate the most because it doesn't even play to the strengths of LIE.

Nevertheless, I don't think Bezos is LIE.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This doesn´t sound much like any LIE I know:

"Jeff Bezos is an infamous micro-manager. He micro-manages every single pixel of Amazon's retail site. He hired Larry Tesler, Apple's Chief Scientist and probably the very most famous and respected human-computer interaction expert in the entire world, and then ignored every goddamn thing Larry said for three years until Larry finally -- wisely -- left the company. Larry would do these big usability studies and demonstrate beyond any shred of doubt that nobody can understand that frigging website, but Bezos just couldn't let go of those pixels, all those millions of semantics-packed pixels on the landing page. They were like millions of his own precious children. So they're all still there, and Larry is not.

Micro-managing isn't that third thing that Amazon does better than us, by the way. I mean, yeah, they micro-manage really well, but I wouldn't list it as a strength or anything. I'm just trying to set the context here, to help you understand what happened. We're talking about a guy who in all seriousness has said on many public occasions that people should be paying him to work at Amazon. He hands out little yellow stickies with his name on them, reminding people "who runs the company" when they disagree with him. The guy is a regular... well, Steve Jobs, I guess. Except without the fashion or design sense. Bezos is super smart; don't get me wrong. He just makes ordinary control freaks look like stoned hippies."

I would agree, if that quote was given in isolation. But he also mentions a distinct lack of micromanagement in his management style:

"He didn't (and doesn't) care even a tiny bit about the well-being of the teams, nor about what technologies they use, nor in fact any detail whatsoever about how they go about their business unless they happen to be screwing up."

That makes it sound like the pixel thing is the exception, not the rule.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Moderator View Post
    I don't agree with this. HA Se can be a real son of a bitch. Additionally, the superego functions with LIE can lead them to think that they should maintain some kind of polished image, which can translate into micromanaging.

The bottom line here is that unhealthy LIE micromanages in the way people hate the most because it doesn't even play to the strengths of LIE.

Nevertheless, I don't think Bezos is LIE.
    Okay, but it´s not exactly fair to use very unhealthy versions of a type to prove a point. I think LIEs can create a lot of chaos in their companies but typically not in the way Bezos is listed to. Excessive optimism, disregard for details, overpromising on the delivery dates, etc.

Anyway, SEE is an interesting typing.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mackenzie Bezos - ESTP - Zhukov

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hag 2 View Post
    LIE have "secondary ego" (Mirage type) LSI, which is the micromanager type. the way i understand secondary ego is its sorta one's backbone, always present but quiet and in the back of the mind way. then we have the "benefit shift" theory, which posits when one is in a good headspace they act like their Benefactor (Ben+) but in a bad headspace they act like their Beneficiary (Ben-). Ben+ for LIE is IEE, accounts for his smileyness (its more complicated than this, but zzz typing) - Ben- is SLE, accounting for his bulking up i guess (again: more complicated imo, but zzz).

as for your "micromanaging is not LIE" argument and bringing in seemingly anecdotal/personal comparisons - those LIE you know, are they among the richest and most successful business founders and CEOs? perhaps micromanaging is what top success takes - Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Zuckerberg...

there is also a theory as we get older we sorta blend into our semi-dual, which for LIE is EII - note bezos passionate philanthropy (i also [mostly-]consider Bill Gates LIE too), but im not sure how 'solid' that theory is (my typing list is small, and idc about reading novels of memoirs and shit to see if s-dual patterns can even be seen and if so to what 'extent').
    I don´t subscribe to this secondary ego theory, sorry. Seems to bring confusion to the table. Even worse if combined with benefit shift, basically everyone can be 3 types at the same time.

Was Bill Gates known as a micromanager? Zuckerberg?
    Steve Jobs is a recognized EIE, Zuckerberg ILE...

I was not referring to anedoctal episodes but to type descriptions - more than one notes that LIEs are usually not particularly good at managing processes. This can be one of the main sources of their problems. Elon Musk doesn´t seem good at this at all, for example.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hag 2 View Post
    you can disregard those theories, no prob. just providing some reasoning and discussion. as for those typings of Jobs and Zuck, i disagree with them myself. but im not a debating person so i'll see myself out
    Anyway, Bezos could be LIE, but would you agree that he´s quite different from say, Bill Gates or Elon Musk in his approach towards his business?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast