Kane : LSE
    Finn : ILE
    Lincoln : ESI

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default The 100

Please put spoilers inside spoiler tags.

The unrealistic plot devices in this show drive me nuts sometimes, but I'm hooked on it. In a socionics context it seems to me like a power struggle between beta and gamma with a bias towards gamma. Themes are strength and loyalty. It asks questions like "should the group sacrifice for the individual," "should the outgroup be sacrificed for the ingroup," "should principles be sacrificed for love" etc.
    (if anybody else sees this all differently I'd be interested to hear it.)

There are a buttload of characters to type and I haven't typed most of them. These are most of the main ones, feel free to add. I'm extra curious/confused about the ones with asterisks.

Abigail Griffin
    Bellamy Blake - SLE?
    Callie Cartwig
    Clarke Griffin - Fi-ESI 1w2
    Echo
    Finn Collins - *
    Jasper Jordan
    John Murphy
    Lincoln
    Marcus Kane - *
    Monty Green
    Octavia Blake - SEE?*
    Raven Reyes - Se ego, 8w7
    Roan
    Thelonious Jaha - Ti base?
    Wells Jaha

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarke - ESI? really SEE could be possible... and sometimes she seems to have strong intuition
    Octavia - Beta extrovert > SEE, E8
    Raven - i am not sure which introverted logical type... why am i avoiding LSI when it works well...
    Thelonious - has Ti? could be Beta?
    Murphy - EIE, cp6
    Kane - Ti lead? I see him as starting out as LSI-like but then transforming into some sort of Delta... E1 anyway
    Jasper - SEI, E7? I can see the IEE idea and maybe that is right... maybe I simply want to see this sort of character as a possible SEI archetype
    Bellamy - SLE-Ti? > LSE?? E3?
    Monty - LII? ILI?
    Niylah - EII > SEI?
    C. Diyoza - SLI?
    Emori - ESE? E6
    Harper - SEI, E9
    Nate - ?
    Roan - SLE? LSE? E3?
    Luna - IEI? E4?
    Lincoln - 8w9 or 9w8? LSI?
    Indra - SLE?
    Lexa - LSI > IEI
    Echo - Fi/Te something?
    Madi - IXI?
    Abby - ESE I guess
    Jackson - EII??? ethical definitely
    Sinclair - LII?
    Shaw - ethical...
    Jordan - SEI???
    Gaia - XEI???
    Maya - Delta NF?
    Anya - SLE?
    Niko - SLI
    Dante - LXE-Te
    Becca - Fi type?
    Gabriel - ILI?
    Russell - Fe lead?
    Josephine - i can't figure out which loon she is, she seems like an Ne loon
    Cage - EIE?????
    Lorelei - LSI I guess
    Finn - SEE? (I know this is weird)
    Pike - i feel like everyone would type him LSE and maybe they are right
    Sheidheda - SLE
    Bill - ILE?
    Calliope - Clarke's identical? lol though really probably Delta NF...
    Illian - ?
    Anders - ?
    Hope - ?
    Doucette - ?
    Levitt - ?
    Wick - ?

Murphy although prone to inappropriate emo violence, largely doesn't do anything. His main role is to figure out how to navigate the powers over his head (he is never in power, and always a "victim" of power). He plays the role of advising others, manipulating others, being there to offer moral support and jokes for others, and does absolutely nothing (except when deemed necessary) if he can get away with it which is why he gets the nickname "cockroach." Sometimes others don't see what he does provide when stable, which is a lot of emotional support + guidance to help the "more useful" people hold it together when necessary. Basically he navigates all situations and events for his survival, plays alliances, etc. and I think deep down sees himself as otherwise at the mercy of a world he has no power in. He knows the timid often don't survive so he makes sure he's aggressive; he knows the passive don't often survive so he pulls strings. Ahem... by the end Murphy has actually become pretty heroic (as much as anyone can be a "hero" in this land of anti-heroes), and has become a leader. Really by the end he seems more sane than many who out-saned him in the beginning.

I guess if I'm mentioning Murphy I should mention Emori because they have their survivor bond. Emori is generally more practical and more able to tap into ways to be useful, but she also uses manipulation when needed, even to the point of outright lies. I generally see them as both these E6 people who are afraid that the others will leave them to die or choose them as expendable. Emori has a better command of the physical world in my view than Murphy does. She also frets a lot, and he generally doesn't because he feels he has a good sense of how things will play out and feels he's been able to influence the outcomes. Emori is better at merging with the social group and they are more likely to like her because she gives off these togetherness vibes. She's friendly and warm and positive (positive emotional expression is her thing). Her issue has been not having a tribe and in the show if one doesn't have a tribe things are very hard for them. They both want to belong but feel they can't so they are outcasts having to lie and steal (for a while).

Moving onto Octavia, by the end of the show I'm wondering if EIE is actually plausible. She just seems really passionate in a way I associate with Beta not Gamma, and if she is far too emo for SLE, then it has to be EIE. I think about her and Indra and it's possible Indra is a far more fitting SLE than she is... I do believe the show shoved her into an SLE archetype off and on, especially when she's in charge while they're trapped underground. She would be more of the Scarlet O'Hara sort of SLE if she is SLE, Se subtype. Octavia IMO is the best developed character on the show. I could kind of see it as growth through Se HA...

Lincoln is a clear-headed sort generally who isn't very impulsive. For being this heavy warrior character what he seems best at is explaining and reconciling differing points of view, and displays moral clarity pretty much all the time. He isn't inclined towards vengeance because he understands the why behind the what (although he will kill those he sees as monsters). He seems to prefer to spend his time alone in his cave and is artistically inclined. All of this was kind of confusing me, but I guess I'm leaning towards Ti dominance and seeing human behavior as a series of cause and effect (if, then) and it's actually the strong logic/weak ethics that is providing the clarity. He provides his causal explanations for the hot heads, which will involve explaining the rules different people live by (possible actions can only fall within the rules). Generally his explanation leads to only one end (no Ne). He's a thinker-warrior.

Lexa: I think the interactions between Lexa and Clarke show very similar egos but that the lead and role fct are flipped. Lexa emphasizes head over heart and is trying to get Clarke to stop "thinking" so much with her feelings, but eventually Lexa comes to understand this is who Clarke is and then she tries to adapt herself. They have this feeling that they deeply understand one another, of being kindred spirits, but it keeps disconnecting. When together they start becoming more like the other, as described in business relations. This fusion is why they feel like soul mates.

Diyoza: It seems deep down Diyoza might be a very homey person who initially became this terrorist military leader to defend the homestead (this pathway became available to her due to her military background). Without any conflict she seems to like to exist in peaceful nature and is fine existing in almost total solitude. Unlike many of the very Beta characters who have an ideology or social set of rules that govern them, Diyoza is adaptive, and understands the rules are likely to change. Te > Ti. Unlike some of those who Clarke has faced who see her as betraying a code of honor to protect her relationships, Diyoza seems to simply find it both natural and slightly amusing, for instance when she tells Clarke, "it's hard to keep track of which side you're on." I think Diyoza would greatly benefit from having people around her with strong Fi and Ne. Understanding interpersonal dynamics is not her strong suit, and it can lead her to thinking since relations are "ruined forever" she has no choice but to do something extreme. But she wants to reach an ideal of goodness and humanitarianism, it's just her poor relational abilities make this rather difficult. Deep down, it seems she wants peace, but not simply peace as in lack of conflict, peace and harmony in nature. (it could be possible she's a different ST... she is surely one of them)

Bellamy seems to be very good at adopting ideologies and becoming an unyielding warrior fighting against most of his friends for these ends. Usually he is following an older leader when he does this (perhaps looking for a father figure), and has adopted their ideology which he has reasoned out in his mind to be correct on ethical and practical grounds, and the ends do justify the means. Once he's determined "this is the way it must be" he goes all in, though the painful distress of his friends (Fe) hurts him deeply. Bellamy is also a sort of natural leader and tends to be deeply respected for his strength and courage. I really am not sure if he's actually Te lead... I guess I might be more inclined to see LSE than LIE if he is. I suspect that Bellamy vs. Clarke issues may boil down to Fi vs. Ti... though the show likes to pit them against each other for the sake of drama. Really I feel like Bellamy is less personal about his actions... he tries more consistently to consider the broader picture of everyone than Clarke does. Clarke is more about her strong personal bonds with individuals. This isn't to say that Bellamy doesn't form strong bonds with people he cares about or that Clarke never considers everyone as a whole.

Gabriel really seems to have the classic role of Ni leading mystical sort who is there to guide others. He generally doesn't believe in factions even though the factions around him may involve him in them. Everything he does is trying to further what he believes looks like the best outcome for humanity and he generally is dispassionate not getting caught up in revenge or the back-and-forth fighting most characters engage in. This isn't to say he's a total pacifist but I think it would be his preference. What he provides is wisdom and all his actions are to bring the future he is path-finding for others. It is possible Gabriel could be a type like LSI, but I dunno... I feel like it's a sort of Ni archetype in stories.
    Last edited by marooned; 10-02-2020 at 08:18 PM.