Thread: David Sanborn

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default David Sanborn

He's been a major musical influence on my saxophone playing and I absolutely love his style and sound (Really sharp, bright, edgy and soulful).

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

istp/estj
    asd

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTj
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting - so you guys are picking up Te and Si?

Read this interview and look at his responses
    http://www.davidsanborn.com/Interviews/jazz_iz.aspx

And listen to this audio: (He's the guy on the phone being interviewed)
    http://www.radioiowa.com/mp3/sanborn.mp3

And see if your impressions still hold

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i say ISTp or ESTj, too.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESFj or ESTj.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta get better at this V.I. thing. I can sometimes tell someone's type by looking at a picture (usually a stranger), or if it's someone I know, I can usually tell someone's type by talking with them, seeing their thinking patterns, and seeing them move, but honestly I didn't expect ESTj/ISTp, but now I can kinda see how. I think my judgement was clouded by my impressions of his music for which I have a great appreciation. What did you guys see that said ESTj/ISTp?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

his look conveys control and self-satisfaction, but not in a negative way.
    asd

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with ESTj/ESFj. I haven't listened much of his music though. What would you recommend for starters?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark
    I agree with ESTj/ESFj. I haven't listened much of his music though. What would you recommend for starters?
    Hey Winterpark,

I've downloaded some of David Sanborn's songs off of different albums, but here's a few I really like:

"You are Everything", "Chicago Song", "When You Smile at Me", "Spooky", the "Double Vision" album with Bob James which has got "Maputo", "It's You". I also like his take on "Isn't She Lovely", "Masquerade", and "Another Time, Another Place".

I'd also say David's album, "Love Songs" is a good one, and his new one looks pretty cool (I forgot the name of it).

And there's so much I still have to check out, there may be some others I'm forgetting but those are a decent start.

BTW right now I'm listening to a cut off of Will Downing & Gerald Albright's "Pleasures of the Night Album" - great stuff.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve6
    Hey Winterpark,

I've downloaded some of David Sanborn's songs off of different albums, but here's a few I really like:

"You are Everything", "Chicago Song", "When You Smile at Me", "Spooky", the "Double Vision" album with Bob James which has got "Maputo", "It's You". I also like his take on "Isn't She Lovely", "Masquerade", and "Another Time, Another Place".

I'd also say David's album, "Love Songs" is a good one, and his new one looks pretty cool (I forgot the name of it).

And there's so much I still have to check out, there may be some others I'm forgetting but those are a decent start.
    I listened to a few songs and his playing sounded somewhat familliar to me. I think he might be playing in some of the records I listen to by other artists and I just haven't listened much of his solo projects. I am not very impressed by his style though. It's nice and soulful but it's kinda bright and too easy-flowing for my taste.

I was listening to some records the other day by I guy who I 'm curious what you think about. I 've already started a thread about him a few months ago :

http://the16types.no-ip.info/forums/...pic.php?t=2882
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark
    Quote Originally Posted by steve6
    Hey Winterpark,

I listened to a few songs and his playing sounded somewhat familliar to me. I think he might be playing in some of the records I listen to by other artists and I just haven't listened much of his solo projects. I am not very impressed by his style though. It's nice and soulful but it's kinda bright and too easy-flowing for my taste.

I was listening to some records the other day by I guy who I 'm curious what you think about. I 've already started a thread about him a few months ago :

http://the16types.no-ip.info/forums/...pic.php?t=2882
    Ah yes, Brian Culbertson. Sure he's got some great stuff out there too. I like his song "Back in the Day" and a few others I can't quite remember the name of. What I like about Brian is that his songs seem fairly thematic; like each one has a mood or flow that the song revolves around and the melodies basically tickle it. And his chorus liines are always very distinct.

I think David Sanborn's sound you either like it or you don't. It's that very bright edgy forward sound. Some people dig it some don't. Actually his sound even borders on the sound you'd hear from a rock saxophonist. But I guess everybody's got their preferences. (I actually play a metal Dukoff mouthpiece on my saxes, and I love the cutting razor sound and I can just stand out and carry the song when I'm playing :wink: ) (Actually if you compare 2 extremely bright sounding players, Sanborn and Kenny G, both use metal Dukoff mouthpieces on Alto and Soprano respectively.) Other players prefer a darker more subdued mouthpiece sound that blends more with the music. Everybody has their style.

Oh BTW Sanborn played in the Lethal Weapon movies throughout different scenes, and yeah he plays on a lot of other people's albums.