Thread: Magnus Carlsen

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alive View Post
    I think bobby fischer is an ILI with a dominant subtype, so ýour dual. chess seems to be more about functional accentuations. Te and Ti are very important, but there are quite a lot of ethical types with an >2000 Elo, too. even EJ temperaments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byn-cinHfPQ

I think it's a game that's very attractive for normalising subtypes. when I spend more time really analysing carlsen, I noticed that he's not as abstract and quiet as I initially thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVS-NIkkUrA
    LOL oh no my dual is probably the most famous chess player in western history. Somehow... that option doesn’t surprise me. I am able to briefly analyze chess moves (I’m not good, just know some plays mechanics) but it’s from straight deductions. I don’t know about Magnus but I find him totally boring and dry and don’t care for his play style at all. I don’t understand why he would choose a move over another but Fischer, I can understand. I can understand the history of chess moves from various players but I just don’t get Magnus. He could be normalizing subtype or any subtype for all I care, all I know is his logic is what I can’t figure out.

My question is, who would win if there’s a match of Magnus vs Fischer?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Magnus seems to have memorized every potential outcome and most likelihood scenario logically of chess which makes him so good since chess is a very logical Te/Ti un-feeling game at it's core, but he does seem to be the most outplayed by emotional and creative NF players who also know what they are doing logically. He is often quite trolled by this tbh and loses the most games because of this even though he is also objectively 'the best.' There is limits to this though as there really is only so much creativity that is allowed cuz certain moves are clearly objectively better than others and he just studied the patterns to almost perfection. He looks SLE to me although LSI works too I think.

I think his playstyle - he puts much more emphasis on the Ti tactics of something rather than a sound Te strategy so I think Ti valuing over Te. He lets the Ti carry the Te for him instead of the other way around. (and often becomes the most blindslided by the right Te moves) Chess has Te/Ti/Ne/Ni (probably in that order?) some Se and Si too. He's great at Se... his over-all Si position he doesn't seem to take into account as much and often sacrifices a good Si position for a swift Se attack. Which means he understands the goal of the game is to win by capturing the opponent's king- it isn't to play super defensive. ((an obvious Ti lesson that can be outgunned by the right Te however.)) His strategy really feels like a Se+Ti thing to me over all. He also doesn't know what he's doing when he plays against an IEI/EII because he feels gay and they troll him emotionally rather naturally & put him off his game when he's normally so smug and logical and 'I know all the Ti parameters there's no way I can l- OH SHIT . WHAT? HOW? NO. WHAT? HOW? NOOO.'

To me what chess doesn't have a lot of is Fe or Fi lol. In many situations it's beneficial to sacrifice a piece(s) you like for greater control of the board- and it clearly doesn't have much in the way of Fe except maybe if you are a complete idiot or just really new? Like you can use Fi and Fe to troll complete newbs who don't know what they are doing but the higher you go the more Fi and Fe seems to matter less and less. I guess a high Fi player can attempt to force draws and stalemates though. I think being Fi polr would make you pretty dang good at chess as you would know more the objective value of each piece/move in the moment rather than getting too attached to a piece or a specific strategy.

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that’s what I find so hilarious about him is that he’s all unemotional and logical and his ass gets trolled a lot. It’s like, how the hell you’re all Ti, don’t do any Te, and want Fe rooting you on but instead it just trolls you. SLE are NOT analytical because they have high dimensional Te and Ti is only visible in close range. Getting an SLE to explain anything Fischer is analytical and aggressive because he’s both high dimensional Ti and Te as ILI-D with emphasis on Te and obscure PoLR Fe.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah it's funny to me when he plays against a NF player. It's like this soft baby faced victim you wouldn't expect to win but he just calmly kind of trolls him and Magnus is like wtf. He does have that typical SLE bulldog face too kind of so makes sense to me.

Yeah you're right he is sooo dry but chess itself is a dry game so his strategy often works- he's just weak against players with the most right emotional strategy. (typical warrior class trolled against NF magic) I used to be so bored by chess because of it's lack of Fe & Fi but I find it interesting now that I'm older.

"he wants Fe to cheer for him and it just trolls him instead" Yesss very Ni insight you got there I noticed that as well lolol. When Ti/Fe fails you have to get inside the head more of what the Te/Fi valuer is trying to accomplish since much of Te/Fi is counter-intuitive in a sense and he doesn't do that enough and instead becomes too focused on his own limited Ti strategy. He's still INCREDIBLY good with how he memorized all those Ti outcomes that most people don't - but if he fixed this weakness- he'd be even better.

Fisher's Fe polr also helped him become incredibly good. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I only see Fe being effective at chess at the very beginner levels. It just creams opponents you would have creamed anyway- but maybe faster yeah. Chess can be sadistic though where you can kind of toy with a newer player before going in for the kill rather then just using Fe blaze runs to dominate their obvious fuck-ups.

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL I've been saying Magnus is LII all this time. He gets trolled like an LII would, too. SLE would just rage quit cuz they hate dealing with so many theoretical rules. They don't care about playing by all the game's rules, they want to dominate and make up their own rules. Hard pressed to find an Se lead in a slow game of chess, but more likely for SEE to slip in than SLE since SEE doesn't seek to overthrow set rules and install their brand of Ti. SLE's Se wants to eliminate weaknesses. SEE wants to stregthen what is weak so it becomes strong, not throw it out. Just from functions, I don't think there's any SLE that would play chess.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand why some discussion as to LII vs LSI might come up because I recently typed someone I know whose non-verbals are very similar to Carlsen's and I was between those types. But one could always argue extreme subjectivity so let's pit those types with something observable: it becomes clear if you watch a good number of videos with Carlsen in them that by the way moves, walks and generally interacts with the environment like an Antonov that he lacks the configuration that would make him sensitive to soft touches like a childlike type. Erotic types are not always clear from visuals alone so maybe we got lucky this time. I see someone called him ‘unimaginative’ in the thread; I'd refer to him more as straightforward in thinking and behavior as commonly understood, which then spills into a particular erotic behavior of type and subtype. In short, I’ll just give him the same type as my friend: some kind of LSI-Se. I could entertain ILI I guess if the justification makes sense but not LII. For comparison, here's a video of him and Alireza Firouzja, whom I type ILE based on this video alone because of his ‘But he spoke Norwegian' comment.

Sicuramente cercherai il significato di questo.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a video of Viswanathan Anand who I think is clearly LII. There's a big difference in demeanor, and I don't think subtypes are enough to explain it. I go with LSI for Carlsen, personally.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnus is too cool to be a chess player lol. That video Rusal posted made me laugh the way he just nonchalantly put grabbed his jacket after the match.

I think that he is gamma NT more specifically LIE. His playstyle is very fluid and exploratory. He is able to discover openings and strategies seemingly out of thin air.

He's also very good with time pressure and uses time well even when it looks like he isn't.

The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    He's also very good with time pressure and uses time well even when it looks like he isn't.

Wouldn't it be a bit of a stretch to peg that too much to type? It sounds like arguing mistakes on board positions happen due to poor sensing. When I see him and hear him I see Se linearity and intractability. IDK. Maybe we could break the emergency glass and try to type his girlfriend. In the first pic she looks downright ESE but I don't know what to say about the second. The last two are of his sister, a very clear good-natured logical beta, in my experience. I suppose here I'm arguing…genetics?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusal View Post
    Wouldn't it be a bit of a stretch to peg that to type? It sounds like arguing mistakes on board positions happen due to poor sensing. When I see him and hear him I see Se linearity and intractability. IDK. Maybe we could break the emergency glass and try to type his girlfriend. In the first pic she looks downright ESE but I don't know what to say about the second. The last two are of his sister, a very clear good-natured logical beta, in my experience. I suppose here I'm arguing…genetics?

The creative use of and seeming reckless waste of time I was attributing to creative Ni. Also, I can't say what I think about the types of the women in the picture.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    The creative use of and seeming reckless waste of time I was attributing to creative Ni. Also, I can't say what I think about the types of the women in the picture.
    I understand that but my point still stands with my counterexample I think.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't it be a bit of a stretch to peg that too much to type? It sounds like arguing mistakes on board positions happen due to poor sensing. When I see him and hear him I see Se linearity and intractability. IDK. Maybe we could break the emergency glass and try to type his girlfriend. In the first pic she looks downright ESE but I don't know what to say about the second. The last two are of his sister, a very clear good-natured logical beta, in my experience. I suppose here I'm arguing…genetics?
    I understand that but my point still stands with my counterexample I think.
    I wasn't making the argument that the mistakes on the board are due to poor sensing, in fact I didn't imply there were any mistakes. He makes moves in an exploratory way that may seem to an outside observer as blunders until the end game is revealed and the opponent realizes he had a plan all along.

Also in what do you mean by "se linearity" in reference to his communication?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introverted. Thinking type. Sensation type as he is not looking for possibilities in the realm of the unconscious but looking for possibilities in chess, a game grounded in reality.

LSI.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

v.i.s lsi-se.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LiE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12