Thread: Best bands of the mid-90s

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best bands of the mid-90s

i'm sort of looking for post-grunge type stuff. someone mentioned blur. it would help if you named the cd you enjoyed also.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

• Toadies - Rubberneck
    • Third Eye Blind - self-titled & Blue
    • Candlebox - selft-titled (technically early 90s, but still an awesome album)
    • Silverchair - only bother with Frogstomp, everything else sucks
    • Collective Soul - "Whoaaaa, heaven let your light shine down!" Yeah, that was them: Hints, Allegations, and Things Left Unsaid
    • Foo Fighters - Every goddamn album except In Your Honor
    • Our Lady Peace - Clumsy & Naveed are probably the best of this group
    • Bush - Anything they released while signed with Trauma
    • Filter - Short Bus & Title of Record
    • Marcy Playground - whatever album has "Sex and Candy"
    • Some early Matchbox 20 (yeah, yeah, call me a fag, but I just don' give a fukkkkkkk)
    • Live - Um..everything? if I had to pick one, Throwing Copper
    • Harvey Danger - Arguably a one hit wonder, "Flagpole Sitta" is still one of the most well-known tracks from this era. It appeared on Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?.
    • IXNAY ON THE HOMBRE, HOMAY!!! You know who this is, The Offspring. In addition, check out their entire discography.

I think that clears up (most) of the obvious choices. Anyone feel free to add.

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Nirvana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhhh, I feel young again. I would add Pearl Jam, but that's not really post-grunge so much as in-the-middle-of grunge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

Hilary walked to her death because she couldn't think of anything to say
    Everybody thought that she was boring, so they never listened anyway
    Nobody was really saying anything of interest, she fell asleep
    She was into S&M and bible studies
    Not everyone's cup of tea she would admit to me
    Her cup of tea, she would admit to no one

God, they have the worst/best lyrics ever.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nation of ulysses - 13 point program to destroy america

everything by big black or any of steve albini's little projects (although that's technically "early 90's.")

i'll post some more later.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aurora_faerie
    Nirvana
    i said post-grunge

I think that was intentional.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on another note. what about mudhoney, sonic youth, cake, blur...? trying to think of others. i'm getting stuff from allofmp3. so far i've gotten some 311 and i'm stil reviewing all of the suggestions thus far. thanks everyone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the failure
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...C415E3468BC5B3

sonic youth is great but not really post grunge

Are we going to try to claim that Sonic Youth plays grunge music?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xiuxiu
    sonic youth is great but not really post grunge
    yeah i know that was totally unrelated

which cd of theirs do you like best?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember sonic youth . . . first saw them in the mid 80's.

i kind of like fiona apple from the mid 90's.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for something faster, quicker, heavier, and more upbeat

maybe something punky like rancid or bad religion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

daydream nation is my favorite and also the first one i heard. that album should be issued to people. all of them are very good, even their latest which was released in june i think.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    aha yes i didn't read the first post only the topic.

dunno, tho, stopped listening to that stuff when i had kids lol.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@cpig: THANK YOU. things like The Kids Aren`t Alright are exactly what I am looking for.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ace of bass
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

@cpig: THANK YOU. things like The Kids Aren`t Alright are exactly what I am looking for.
    :wink: I grew up on this shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah me too. i just never bought cds when i was in 6th-11th grades because i was always broke. that is why i was trying to remember what i listened to. i'm getting some deftones too. not sure what else i want.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, i am resurrecting this as i am buying more music. by the way why did no one mention filter last time around? !!! that is the sort of shit i am looking for.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its' called METALLICA
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. metallica is 80's not 90's
    c. it is downbeat not upbeat
    3. i own a lot of metallica
    v. i don't particularly care for them anymore

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. metallica is 80's not 90's
    c. it is downbeat not upbeat
    3. i own a lot of metallica
    v. i don't particularly care for them anymore
    Metallica became superstars in the '90, and were still very popular in the nineties and to this day:

The Load era (1995-1999)

Lars Ulrich (2004)After almost three years of touring to support The Black Album, during which time the trek was relabelled the Nowhere Else to Roam Tour, Metallica took a respite until late 1995. On December 13, they recorded during their rehearsal for Lemmy's 50th birthday party; four Mot๖rhead covers were later released as a two-part limited edition CD single. The band spent around a year writing and recording new songs, resulting in Load (1996). At one point during early production, Load was intended to be a double album. Ultimately, it was decided that it would be best to release half of the songs first, and continue to work on the remaining songs and release them the following year. This resulted in the follow up album ReLoad (1997). Some songs written during Load were changed by the time they were recorded for ReLoad; in particular, "Fuel" had different lyrics than the version played during the Load Tour, as evidenced by the version played on the Cunning Stunts concert film (the song was then-titled "Fuel for Fire").

These albums represented a significant musical change for Metallica. The band's breakneck metal tempos and layered guitar compositions had largely been replaced by bluesy guitar tones, slide guitar and shuffle rhythms. Hetfield's vocals took a larger role than ever before, and several songs (such as "Mama Said" and "Low Man's Lyric"), and showed the band's willingness to experiment with varied sounds and instruments. These changes included the use of the steel guitar (commonly used in country music) in "Mama Said" (this is not supported by Kirk Hammett, who in a Guitar Player interview claimed it's not pedal steel guitar on "Load", but an electric guitar processed to emulate one), as well as the use of the hurdy-gurdy and violin in "Low Man's Lyric".

Many of the changes on Load and ReLoad had been anticipated by earlier experiments (especially on The Black Album), but listeners generally regard the two albums as the band's turning point. Sales were lower than sales of the previous three albums. Many songs from Load and ReLoad received extensive radio play, including "Until It Sleeps", "Hero of the Day", "King Nothing", "The Memory Remains", "The Unforgiven II", and "Fuel".

Hetfield noted later in the documentary film Some Kind of Monster that many songs on these two albums were initially thought by the band to be of only average quality, and polished and re-worked repeatedly until judged to be releasable.

By 1996, all of the band members had cut their hair (although Hammett eventually grew it back), which was ridiculed by many, including band friends Alice in Chains, whose edition of MTV's Unplugged featured, on Mike Inez's bass, the words "friends don't let friends get Friends haircuts." Metallica were in the audience for the taping of the show.

In 1998 Metallica compiled a double CD called Garage Inc.. The first CD contained newly recorded covers, ranging from obvious Metallica influences such as The Misfits, Thin Lizzy, Mercyful Fate and Black Sabbath to more unexpected choices like Nick Cave and Bob Seger (the band's cover of Seger's "Turn the Page" garnered extensive radio airplay). The second CD gathered together previously released covers, including the original The $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-Revisited, which had become a scarce collectors' item. The CD also included B-side covers going as far back as 1984.

On March 7, 1999, Metallica were inducted into the San Francisco Walk of Fame. The mayor of San Francisco, Willie Brown, proclaimed the day "Official Metallica Day" in San Francisco. A month later, on April 21-22, 1999, Metallica recorded two performances with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, then conducted by Michael Kamen. Kamen, who had previously worked with Bob Rock on "Nothing Else Matters", approached the band with the idea of pairing Metallica's music with a symphony orchestra. Kamen and his staff composed additional orchestral material for a number of Metallica songs and the concerts featured broad selection of songs dating as far back as Ride the Lightning. Metallica also wrote two brand-new Kamen-scored songs for the event, "No Leaf Clover" and "−Human." The audio recording and concert footage were released later that year as the album/concert film S&M, in November 1999, on CD, VHS, VCD, and DVD.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As to the tempo, I don't see Metallica as depressive if that is what you mean by downbeat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most of their best stuff/things they are famous for (the black album being the major exception)came out in the 80's and the genre of which they were consistently a part was very 80's. the black album was produced in the very early 90's which were still quite "tainted" with an 80's feel to the music. the pixies for example fall into a similar category

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting you should say that. The Pixies were a mojor influence on Cobain from what I hear.

The Black Album is the best Metalica album according to most people and it defined rock before Cobain.

But if you don't like Metallica theree is no point in me changing your mind. I myself am going through a Metallica phase for some reason, No LEaf Clover for some reason resonates with me tremendously.

As to the types of bands you seem to be interested in, you might want to check out BECK, I don't know if anyone mentioned GREENDAY. A band you might not know about is called METRIC, but they are somewhat later, but in the same vein I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was really into that song as well. in general i prefer the performances on S&M to the originals (the accompaniment of the orchestra makes them more intricate). i also own a lot of green day. i am not that big of a punk fan anymore though. perhaps some ska of some sort as i never got into it in the past and could do with a change-up

Creepy-bg

the only good Metallica was 80s Metallica. from One onward they went steadily downhill. Ride the Lightning, Garage Days, and Master of Puppets! after that it was pretty much pop crap.

some random 90's bands I liked...

Sky Cries Mary
    Phunk Junkeez
    KMFDM
    My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult
    Chemical Brothers
    Fugazi
    Primus
    Sublime
    Social Distortion (kinda 80's though)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay Primus!

*drags out old Primus CDs
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm gonna third Primus there...

Ever heard Mr. Bungle? The singer of Faith No More doing, well, very strange things.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radiohead - Karma Police
    The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Symphony X
    Meshuggah
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Have you tried these websites?:

http://gnod.net/
    http://music-map.com/
    The first lets you put in 3 bands you like, and suggests similar artists, the second one maps out one artist in relation to others. The first one lets you do books, films too.

Also, there's http://rateyourmusic.com/
    where you can rate albums out of five stars and it makes recomendations based on your ratings. It's time consuming, but very .

My suggestions would be
    Tindersticks
    Wilco - Summerteeth
    Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
    and also Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People , though maybe not that one as its actually quite dark electronic stuff , despite the name

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    thanks for the recommendation! I was quite skeptical when I was instructed to type the artises I like so as to recommend me other related artises. And I was so surprised that the ones they recommended happen to be the ones I like as well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nirvana, Incubus, Foo Fighters
    "I never saved anything for the swim back" - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca