Thread: Movie Reviews

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Movie Reviews

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I thought it'd be neat to have a thread on movie reviews. Right now there is just a thread on What are you watching? This would be to Rate/Review movies that are new or you've seen before. You can either rate 1-5 stars (*****), or rate and review, or I guess plain review. Or rant. Whatever. If anyone has any better ideas, that'd be fine, and I can change the initial post to accomadate it. I don't think this has been done before?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

+++++++++[Coming soon] Star Trek Beyond ++++++++++++++
    (I'll watch it on Saturday)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I was kind of dissapointed in that one. I didn't think it was as good as the last two. I'll have to watch it again to properly review it, though. I hope you like it
    I did see in the theater yet I kind of forgot what was going on, all I know is that I really liked Chris Fine

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I liked the last Harry Potter universe movie, 4 stars (lacks emotional connection from time to time)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now, Star Trek Beyond.

So I watch movies looking at the characters primarily: Significant personality developments were more between Spock and Bones, the former especially in his decision to *spoiler*. Other than that, there was nothing new, just Jaylah and Krall as a concept, just like the "stuck in a rut" theme. Parts reminded me of Guardians of the Galaxy (was it Zoe Saldana's presence?). Visual effects were ok, the story line was kind of simple and easy to follow and all, but there was no major philosophic testimony (unlike the other Star Trek movies prior to this one), not very sophisticated. Costumes - me likey, vehicles - uh, music - yes pretty good. My highlight: Captain Kirk's eyebrows, as usual.

Rating:

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Meh 3/5

3/5 kinda like Lord of War, but just boring

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

3.5/5

4/5

3/5

5/5 Must watch

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I use a website called nextfilm.co.uk to set alerts for film appearances on TV - I have a a database of about 1000 films I wish to see (derived from people with film tastes most similar to mine), and setting an alert means I get sent an email a few days in advance - very useful! If you can find a similar service in your own countries, I would recommend it. But I 'only' have 382 alerts set at the moment - I guess because many of the older films have never been shown on TV, and of course with the very recent ones, they haven't even premiered on the premium tv channels.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5/5

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by willowglass View Post
    4.5/5

Out of all the John Wayne movies I've seen, this one is now my favorite...Suprisingly good. Recommended to my by someone.

The Quiet Man is very good. John Wayne is SLI, Maureen O'Hara is probably IEE. I first saw it when I was a kid. My father is also SLI (and Irish, and a good fighter, but as with Wayne, you might not know that at first), and this movie showed me (I was really young) what a grown-up relationship should be like. (Except for the woman-as-property part. Lol.)

I wonder if this movie created my Imago. I'm attracted to women with red hair, and my ex looks a bit like a thinner Maureen O'Hara.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great movie. Humor, insight, more thrilling than horror.
    Hey, feel free to PM me with any opinions about my type

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Mỹ Nhân Ngư (The Mermaid, 2016) - 3.8/5.0 light action movie with some interesting visual effects
    there is a full version with english subtitles floating around youtube though the video quality isn't high

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

5 Stars, it was perfect, showstopping, absolutely hilarious and also dealt with an important social issue.

Disclaimer: The English version could differ a lot. Morgan Freeman's German voice actor surpasses Freeman's real voice. It's the truth. I still can't stop laughing.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

What a trip! Haha, I had a little trouble falling asleep last night after watching it in the cinema/movie theatre.
    Intense, intriguing... Great performances and a good story.
    Side note, the girl's mother is probably IEI-Ni...

Don't watch the Trailer, it spoils too much.

4/5

P.S: Oops, just noticed @Slade had already written about it, ha. Anyway, I can recommend it, too.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5/5

The trailer contains spoilers tbh.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4.5/5. Good heart-felt movie. A bit on the predictable side, but not in a bad way. Just enough to think 'I know what's going to happen, but I'm looking forward to it'. I knocked off .5 because I went in expecting a bit more emotion.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oooo I like this thread. I keep going back and forth trying to decide if I should watch La La Land or not...I just get so incredibly bored with musicals....

The two most recent movies I saw were Hacksaw Ridge which I give a 4/5 and American Honey which I give a 5/5. Freaking great movies, Hacksaw Ridge would've been a 5/5 if it weren't so gory.

American Honey:

TIM
    SLI-H sp/so
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

your-name-anime.jpg
    @ApeironStella
    Studio Ghibli niveau. It starts like "Freaky Friday" and turns into a really original movie that blows you away when you watch it the first time.
    Thankfully the trailer does not explain too much.
    Makes even my SLI friend cry 9.5/10

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Teapot View Post
    your-name-anime.jpg
    @ApeironStella
    Studio Ghibli niveau. It starts like "Freaky Friday" and turns into a really original movie that blows you away when you watch it the first time.
    Thanks, gonna watch this.

Sir that's my emotional support gremlin ApeironStella's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-Ne 5w4 594 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Teapot View Post
    your-name-anime.jpg
    @ApeironStella
    Ooh, I heard the name of this movie (hah.) but I didn't know what it was about. It actually sounds interesting and yesss angst. Fictional pain fest, here I come! ...tomorrow. But thanks for suggesting it, definitely going to check!

...assuming that you didn't accidentally tag me I mean.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rogue One

2/5

Con: Started out nice, then got tedious. No solid character developments, the bad guys weren't cruel/villainous enough (Vader should've been used way more! He was a total badass!), music wasn't persuasive and bombastic, the usual humor and friendship moments were cut out. Female protagonist (nice!) but didn't talk much Katniss-style, ratio of female-male was extremely disappointing in general. We had like 6 front-row women yet 400+ plot-relevant guys. Boring. The Star Wars signature droid/force/lightsaber dynamics were left out as well :/ There was no actual wit coming across, and the spiritual dimension was lacking. The rebellion wasn't credible either since it was touched on in a superficial/impersonal manner. Very confusing introductions of new places and people without a proper backstory. It should have been more intense, suspenseful, personal.

Pro: finally a blind character! For real! Disabled people representation in Star Wars was always a strong point (see Luke, Anakin). The cast aimed at being diverse, two Asians, one black man, that could be developed though. The visuals were pretty cool. Interpersonal workings were aimed at a good direction. Plot was unpredictable. It ended on a good note despite all tragedy, that was well-made. No unnecessary shock scenes, gore or much slime. The way they digitally restored old actors was a surprise. Costumes were ok but not stunning. Landscapes and wide shots were pretty excellent. Stunts: decent. Mads Mikkelsen was completely awesome as usual, he carried his role. Very authentic and emotional. Fake romance for romance's sake yada yada was finally abandoned - it really doesn't fit space battles let's get that straight - and conflict was emphasized, there was an actual Star War even if it got dull after some time. Movie was placed neatly into the context of the other movies.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't know how to rate it, but I was way more impressed with guardians of the galaxy 2 then I expected to be. It was hilarious. I laughed & I cried. I have to watch the first one now.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Has anyone seen "Passengers" with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt?
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Has anyone seen "Passengers" with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt?
    2/5

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

3.5/5

Basically abduction in space, some disguised outdated fairy tale in a shiny package as some article said. Sorta made me think and think and then reach out for several critiques, so it hit a nerve, and that's what a movie should do. I got enraged and stunned at once so hm. Lots and lots of moral and political questions in there, esp from the woman's perspective.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reverie View Post
    I watched Passengers. I'd rate it the same as Chae. 3.5/5.

Kept my attention the whole time. I thought it was an interesting idea. Wouldn't buy it, though, or probably watch it again. But I'd say it's worth watching at least once.
    Could say a number of things about this movie. One thing I noticed, something I have not seen mentioned in the review utube videos or columns. The thing was Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt had zero on screen chemistry. It was very stitled. They are both actors, just no chemistry together. My theory is because they are the same person in male/ female form.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got out of the theatre for Aliens Covenant.

Excellent movie. They made some excellent, excellent choices, through-out the whole film.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

4/5 Great movie. More heavy on drama rather than action despite the title, but still worth seeing nonetheless. Multiple correlations to past historic events are implemented into the film.

3/5 Decent movie. Excellent visuals and sounds, top notch. Despite being based on a true story, a bit lacking in character development and plot, which prevents it from being great.

4/5 Entertaining movie. Great premise with great visuals, acting and story. Definitely worth watching.

5/5 Amazing movie! First half starts off slow and dramatic, but second half is intense and action packed. Great directing, acting, visuals and story. This movie has it all, a must see!
    Last edited by Raver; 02-19-2019 at 12:56 AM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

4/5 Good sci-fi movie. Starts off slow and dramatic, but the alien encounter and intense ending make this movie worth watching.

5/5 Incredible sci-fi flick! Much better than I expected. Great premise, intense action with strong character development backed up by a good plot. Everything you would want in a sci fi action movie.

5/5 Excellent sci-fi movie! Exceeded the hype and praise this movie got. Engrossing film that will keep you on the edge of your seat for the entire movie. An unforgettable ending that will leave you speechless.

2/5 Awful sci-fi movie. Lacks the story and character development of the first movie. Predictable plot and action scenes. Good example of how not to do a sci fi movie. I fell asleep for a bit at the climax and ending of the film.
    Last edited by Raver; 08-05-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, I really enjoy the S. Korean Thriller Genre. The top 5 movies to watch if you like intense smart films and don't mind subtitles
    1. The Chaser
    2. I saw the devil
    3. Yellow Sea
    4. The Wailing
    5. Memories of Murder

All 5/5 films
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    For what it's worth, I really enjoy the S. Korean Thriller Genre. The top 5 movies to watch if you like intense smart films and don't mind subtitles
    1. The Chaser
    2. I saw the devil
    3. Yellow Sea
    4. The Wailing
    5. Memories of Murder

All 5/5 films
    Darn, only The Wailing is on Netflix US Streaming.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazymaisy View Post
    Darn, only The Wailing is on Netflix US Streaming.
    Memories of Murder you can watch directly off the IMDB website.

The top 3 circle in and out of Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Good Korean films currently streaming: (All between 8-9 out of 10)

Train to Busan, Assasination, The Man from Nowhere, Divine Move, Mother, The Host, War of the Arrows, The HandMaiden, Tiger: A hunters story.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Pookie Me and my SLE son watched Train to Busan on Netflix the other week. We really enjoyed it.

I also like Kung Fu movies, Chinese historic wars, etc. Netflix gives me easily more options in the apps once I start watching a lot of any foreign genre, so as it goes, I do have a bunch of Korean movies on My List and have gone into the browser to seed My List with "similar" searches, so I'm getting a lot more Korean films easily now. The titles (8-9) are familiar titles, so I'll get to them sooner than later.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okja 5/5

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dark Tower 1/5 fucking hatchet job.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love from Gaspar Noé - 7/10

It's hot and sort of disturbing. It's full of great powerful images, it's dynamic and gets right under your skin. It tries to deal with existencialism, but the value of philosophical dialogues gets lost in a shallow stereotypical story that doesn't really surprise you. Gaspar Noé is all about sex, love and death, which is basically pretty shallow anyway. It's a shallow movie that tries too hard to be deep. Sometimes it wins you over and sometimes you think he could've done a better job.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamers: The first time I watched this movie, I was about 18 and I just thought it was Absolutelyamazing. Now, watching it years later, it wasn’t that good.Probably because I expected too much from this film. I have to sayit’s one of the better ones though. I like how “special” it tries tobe, how it’s not afraid of any taboos and crosses the line of whatcan be shown in a film. It’s definitely not for everyone, butsometimes… all the weirdness is just forced. Like a 15 year oldthat tries too hard to be a rebel and nobody really buys it. Thescenes sometimes don’t make sense and I think the way it plays withtaboos is not believable. I can see why I loved it when I was 18, allthat sexual and spiritual freedom is more than close to my heart, butnow when I’m older, I know the world just doesn’t work this way.

I have to give it 7,5/10 because of the perfect bohemian atmosphere it has. I give anything to experience a vacation like this one. Nothing but wine, sex and pseudo-philosophical discussions.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3.5/5

Tbh, I thought this looked kind of dumb, but I rented it for my kids. It was actually pretty funny. It seemed like one big metaphor. I wouldn't want to buy it, but it was worth watching once, even as an adult. Good family movie, anyway.

Anyone seen the new IT movie yet?
    I will never watch the Big Baby Boss movie in my entire life, but thanks for the review.

So I saw "It" in theatres and it was fantastic. It followed the book closely. It paid tribute to the made for TV series from the 80's by casting similar looking kids and several similar scenes. It was creepy as fuck. I never felt scared, I did feel really creeped out. It was just creepy from the first scene onwards and the pace never stopped. There were no slow spots, no useless character development spots, it was a very tight script, that moved quickly and genuinely topped each scene with a more creepy one for the next. It featured fantastic young actors who were convincing and the plot was updated with current dialogue terms which made it feel relevant to todays age while remaining true to the source materials time frame of the 80's. It had preteens being terrorized and attacked by pennywise the monster and showed several disturbing sequences. I'm told the Netflix series Stranger Things felt similar in style to the It, although I wouldn't know I couldnt get passed the second episode of that show. I would recommend the movie to watch in theatres. It was fun to see teenagers feel the fear of "It" for the first time.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So an excellent film is The Place beyond the Pines.

Here is a film that follows two generations of men while creating visceral anxiety for the audience through-out the whole spectacle as one truly cannot tell what is going to happen. The tension inducing soundtrack with minimalist tones, the audio visual style that amplifies reality, the nerve racking scenes shot long take style give the story extreme realism, and the fantastic cast give us sympathetic characters who are living in a realistic world makes this movie so successful for me. This is a tale about cause and effect, about consequences, about men entrenched in their stations and the desires to break free from their lot in life. You are given decades long spans that don't feel contrived, but distinctly intimate. By the end you cheer for all characters as the lines between protagonist and antagonist blur. Not all criminals are bad people and not all cops are good. I rarely have a beating heart throughout a whole movie that makes me anxious for the people involved. This was one of them. If you like high Leaves of Grass style dramas where everyday men face choices of which they must eventually deal then this is the movie for you. The laws of karma cannot be escaped from.

Plus, I mean come'on its got Ryan Gossling and he's just yummy.

I choose to put up the first opening scene of the move instead of the trailer, as it is a good example of how the film maker keeps you wondering what is going to be happening. You can never really know where the characters stand or what they are going to do. It is a totally objective omniscient view, the director does not force you to believe one narrative or another. You fill the film with your own emotion, although there are touchstones where you are led to feel one way or another, such as several adrenalin inducing chases. The director makes the ordinary into monolithic, almost Shakespearian in breathe and depth, seamlessly amplified by the audio and soundtrack and I personally appreciated that.

I would say overall you are seeing a V-S style film, so if you are not big on imagery, sound, pace, tone (hello, cinematography) then this might not be appropriate movie to watch.

Here is the trailer.

Last edited by wacey; 09-20-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

3.5/5

Tbh, I thought this looked kind of dumb, but I rented it for my kids. It was actually pretty funny. It seemed like one big metaphor. I wouldn't want to buy it, but it was worth watching once, even as an adult. Good family movie, anyway.

Anyone seen the new IT movie yet?
    Also rented Boss Baby for my kids. They loved it. I thought it was okay. There were some funny parts in it.

Saw "It" and thought it was excellent and really captured many of the horrifying elements of the novel. They did change the story around a bit, but it kept with its overall horrific spirit. Loved it.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast