Thread: Movie Reviews

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    I rewatched Fritz the Cat after so many years. The X rating is warranted. I can see why Robert Crumb was unhappy with Bakshi's harsh portrayal of 1960's counterculture.
    I tried to watch Fritz the Cat a couple times. I thought it was boring and unrelatable. The existential angst that Crumb continuously expressed in his comics was simply something that didn't interest me. And the movie added silliness to that by creating characters which represented types instead of being people. It all seemed incredibly sophomoric.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I tried to watch Fritz the Cat a couple times. I thought it was boring and unrelatable. The existential angst that Crumb continuously expressed in his comics was simply something that didn't interest me. And the movie added silliness to that by creating characters which represented types instead of being people. It all seemed incredibly sophomoric.
    The characterizations didn't seem subtle to me, either. Bakshi was a counterculture figure himself, so I'm not too sure about his original intent. If he wanted to paint the 1960's rebels as sex-addicted, impulsive opportunists who used politics as a cover for their actual goal of juvenile violence, that's definitely the message that I got. FWIW, there's a redeeming moment for Fritz near the end.

Power and the money, money and the power Lolita's Avatar
    TIM
    SEE-Nô LPEW 863
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw The Age of Innocence for the first time all the way through. Iíve seen it multiple times in the past but broken up into segments because I canít just watch a 3 hour movie all the way through. I love dramatic period pieces and Iíve read the book but itís been a long time since. I know Scorsese films are slow burns. Very deep and poignant but Iíve always had trouble sitting through them. This time, I felt the full spectrum of the uncomfortable tension build up and the emotional stifle that goes with fitting in with the social milieu and being approved of. I truly felt for Archer. He was tricked into giving up love and a chance for real happiness by his vapid but manipulative Alpha Fe wife and the rest of the hypocritical, moralistic Fe society. I think Edith Wharton is ESI and gave a very true account of high society during the late 1800s and society at large.

TIM
    ISFp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
    I truly felt for Archer. He was tricked into giving up love and a chance for real happiness by his vapid but manipulative Alpha Fe wife and the rest of the hypocritical, moralistic Fe society. I think Edith Wharton is ESI and gave a very true account of high society during the late 1800s and society at large.
    I think the point is the opposite: Archer never had it in him to live the way he truly wanted. The last scene, when he refuses to go into the building and just 'imagines' perfect bliss, speaks to this.
    Sicuramente cercherai il significato di questo.

˚*・༓ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓ aster's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Nô
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started watching first season of peaky blinders, finally...I like it a lot so far
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

˚*・༓ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓ ‧͙⁺˚*・༓ aster's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Nô
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got around to watching Joker. Loved it. The second half more. Wasn’t crazy about the first half, but I suppose it had to build up. Anyway 4.5/5

Joaquin Phoenix was perfect for that part. After Heath Ledgers performance as the joker, I was doubtful anyone could do as good of a job, but imo Joaquin Phoenix was pretty good.. Of course, I still prefer Heath Ledger’s joker.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    itsp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i olga hepnarova - about the last woman to be executed in czechia, starting with her suicide attempt at 13 and following until the execution a decade later. well made but unfortunately most real life psychopaths are bores with no interests beyond morbidity and so this is too. 2/5

la belle noiseuse - an old painter comes out of retirement to make emmanuelle bťart contort herself into all kinds of positions so that he can draw stick figures of her callipygian shape from every angle, furthering his appreciation of the female form and its proportions to help aid in the completion of his final masterpiece: an unfinished painting of charlotte gainsbourgs mom. in doing so, belle's beau and the painters wife grow suspicious of all the time the two spend together while the artist and his new muse behave hot and cold towards one another locked away in their private world. 5/5

donkey skin - king of the crip gang tries to fuck his daughter after his wife croaks so with the help of her godmother a young princess adopts a fursona - the eponymous donkey skin - and runs away. after finding work taking care of pigs, dashing prince of the rival blood gang spots her in the forest with the furry suit off and sends his goons to make the local thots bring him baked treats, hoping catherine deneuve will turn up to get turned out and be his ride or die forever. 4/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    It's really terrible having an IQ of less than 75 when I've always wanted to have a higher IQ than everyone else in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I knew from the shape of her mouth in the picture that I posted that she wasn't ESI.

Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The movie recommendations Movielens gives me after 1500+ ratings, for movies I haven't rated (only 417 pages for me to get through!):

How it sees my taste (the top movies for me of those I've rated - my actual ratings in orange/gold)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456