0 Thread(s)

The Imitation Game: 9/10... just amazing

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reverie View Post
    Yeah, my initial reaction to Boss Baby was about like waceys, but when you have kids... ...I particularly liked the Gandalf alarm clock. I thought he was the best part of the movie.

I'm so terribly jealous of everyone that has seen It. I haven't been able to go because I'd need a babysitter and there aren't any matinees close enough to go to to be back in time. But I'm so determined to see it in theaters.

How did you think it compared to the old It movie? Do you think it was scarier? It seems they might have put parts in from the book that weren't in the old movie. And the old one was long. Over 3 hours long...
    I really loved the old movie when it came out. I was probably 10-11 when I saw the movie for the first time. That put me right at about the same age as the Losers. I read the book when I was 12 and it probably became one of my favorite books at first because of the friendships between the main characters. It had that youthful, coming of age feel that is very relatable. I thought that the old movie had that same sort of vibe to it....as a preteen. Overtime, however, the movie seems more and more "cheesy", although it still has a place in my heart and memories.

In comparison, while the old movie is a horror classic and was written as an adaptation to television, the new movie surpassed it. It is creepier and came much closer to what it was that made the book frightening; it is the lingering fear of the unknown that is at the core of the children's fear, and the creature that is It uses it to prey and hunt. But it is more than that. It likes to play with its food, feeding off fear as much as the flesh. It is evil incarnate, or at least that is how humans see It, and the movie did a great job of doing it in a way that was not cheesy and very much in the spirit of King's horrific visions. The house on Neibolt St. played an important role in this movie as well, which the first movie completely ignored. The scenes involving the house in the book were some of the most frightening parts within it. The new movie did an excellent job in this area. It was a little different, but again captured the feel. I wish they included the Stand Pipe from the book, and the Mummy from when Ben was walking home, and the Ironworks that Mike wandered through. Those would have been awesome scenes to include.

One of the things that the movie did differently was change the roles of some of the characters. Mikes role thus far seems rather insignificant, whereas he played a very prominent role in the book and the first movie. The timeline was different too. The book was the late fifties and then the eighties, where the new movie was the late eighties and then today. That gave it a different atmosphere and is nostalgia for a different generation. I could go on, but I do not want to spoil much at all. I hope you find a babysitter, and that you get to go watch and enjoy the movie and see for yourself. If was pretty awesome.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went and saw the new Kingsmen movie. Was exactly what I expected it to be. Just pure entertainment. I read a reviewer who hated it saying "it was just like the first and for that reason I hated it." I thought wow way to entirely miss the point of the movie. Kingsmen 2 was a totally tongue and cheek spy movie that brilliantly was a serious themed movie done comedically. As soon as the villian played by Julianne Morre (who chewed the role just as good as Samuel L Jackson did in the first one), hilariously had one of her henchman shoved into a meat grinder and made cheeseburgers out of him, I knew the rest of the film was going to be worth the ticket price. Plus the long shot, single take action sequences were spectacular - like watching choreographed ballet. Just a fun, silly film, that had me laughing, much like Gaurdians of the Galaxy, except better, less Disney and geared towards adults (Kingsmen is more of a guys show btw). This fact and also that the protagonists are sophisticated English gentlemen who like to dress well, puts this film squarely in alpha quadra territory. 7 ESE loudest laughs in crowded theatre out of 10.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm watching gangs of new York after @reverie said it was good and I like it a lot. A really good story, and the world it happens in is captivating... I wonder how much it actually matches the past.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@reverie But the camaraderie!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha

I've thought about this. I think the reason why I didn't feel the camaraderie as strongly in the It movie was because when the adults came together in the books and the miniseries, they seemed connected by their experience, and the flashbacks which they shared with each other made it seem to me like they were more connected by this experience as children. It just seemed to make them closer to me, or seal this bond they had together. Since the new movie didn't have the adults in it, that certain equation that I liked in the book and miniseries was lost, and I think this is why I personally wasn't getting that vibe as strongly.
    Fair enough. I think chapter 2 will basically be like the miniseries. It'll be them as adults with random flashbacks to the original.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Alatriste (2006)
    Soldiers of Spanish Empire in end days of its glory. Aragorn is not bad there.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395119/

new Kingsmen
    new Star Wars and spin-off
    Gaurdians of the Galaxy
    - I don't understand how such may like someone except teenagers. To spend tens millions dollars on making such trash and be able to get money on this. Fascinating.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Alatriste (2006)
    Soldiers of Spanish Empire in end days of its glory. Aragorn is not bad there.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395119/

new Kingsmen
    new Star Wars and spin-off
    Gaurdians of the Galaxy
    - I don't understand how such may like someone except teenagers. To spend tens millions dollars on making such trash and be able to get money on this. Fascinating.
    Its what the people want.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh, still waiting for a movie I'll like as much as Perfume, Only Lovers Left Alive and The Fountain..

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    Ugh, still waiting for a movie I'll like as much as Perfume, Only Lovers Left Alive and The Fountain..

Those movies...

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen Perfume! I didn't even know they made a movie . I feel like I've been living under a rock. It's been on my to-read list for the longest time. Did you read the book?
    Yeah, loved both the book and the movie. Found it through some now forgotten page that lets you search litterature by different parameters like 'dark' etc.. I remember putting the settings to something extreme. Perfume and like two other books where the only ones that showed up.
    Last edited by Tonatiuh; 10-04-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Its what the people want.
    It's what they get. People want better, but have no choice and can spend money only for such shit. Except teenagers I doubt others like that, at least among intellectual others (corn farmers may think that ok too while are drunk).

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    It's what they get. People want better, but have no choice and can spend money only for such shit. Except teenagers I doubt others like that, at least among intellectual others (corn farmers may think that ok too while are drunk).
    Relax comrade, we all know you are a serious adult who would never lower himself to the level of the common immature teenage masses.

At any rate my ex roomate is 56 and he loved the movies, called them brilliant. I can see the merit.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saw this yesterday and absolutely loved it. it's interesting how split people are on it, either they love it and see it as a perfect (or slightly flawed) sequel to the old one or they are dumbstruck that it's gettting such positive reviews from anyone. I could totally see how it would be grueling for someone who wasn't feeling it, but I feel like if you enjoy it, you really enjoy it it seems.
    Last edited by bgbg; 10-08-2017 at 04:27 AM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blade Runner 2049 5/5

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neon Demon 4/10

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Blade Runner 2049! 4.5/5

I must say it's a visual masterpiece. Colors and landscapes, camera work in particular - perfectly crafted. My eyes have never caught glimpse of something so grand.
    The roaring and booming score by Zimmer - ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!
    The tiny bits of gory violence (not for the faint of heart) - so poignant, so intense, because the rest was narrated slowly. The length didn't bother me. But you really have to be patient for this one.

Was a bit disappointed because they didn't show much intimate scenes while going into dialogue & fights extensively elsewhere. Also... so many unanswered questions

Ryan Gosling did a very good job. Ford, quite so.
    Jared Leto's character was hard to understand sometimes with the effect used on his voice.

A lot of female characters, which is good - Bechdel test: passed! I was particularly impressed by Robin Wright. Sylvia Hoeks - terrifyingly strong performance. It was so good, it still haunts me.

Lastly, the tech and buildings... very novel and striking, reminded me a bit of Waterworld mixed with the 5th Element and Mad Max.

Certainly worth seeing.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

3/5. Not bad, good visuals and acting with a decent storyline. A good amount of funny moments, but nothing spectacular overall.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2/5

It was alright, imo. I read the book when it first came out and really liked it. I didn't like the movie nearly as much, and they changed the ending in the movie adaption. The book ending was better, imo. It kind of ruined it for me, changing the ending like that, tbh.
    you can't have bombs blowing up buildings in today's world in a movie. It would not be appropriate and would also leave the audience feeling destroyed.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blade Runner 2049

4/5

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was Ron Howard's reason supposedly: http://amp.denofgeek.com/us/259431/e...ing-the-ending

Was there buildings blowing up in the book ending? Haven't read it in a while.
    Someone told me the real bomb went off in the book and the protagonists disarmed the wrong one...?

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    So an excellent film is The Place beyond the Pines.

Here is a film that follows two generations of men while creating visceral anxiety for the audience through-out the whole spectacle as one truly cannot tell what is going to happen. The tension inducing soundtrack with minimalist tones, the audio visual style that amplifies reality, the nerve racking scenes shot long take style give the story extreme realism, and the fantastic cast give us sympathetic characters who are living in a realistic world makes this movie so successful for me. This is a tale about cause and effect, about consequences, about men entrenched in their stations and the desires to break free from their lot in life. You are given decades long spans that don't feel contrived, but distinctly intimate. By the end you cheer for all characters as the lines between protagonist and antagonist blur. Not all criminals are bad people and not all cops are good. I rarely have a beating heart throughout a whole movie that makes me anxious for the people involved. This was one of them. If you like high Leaves of Grass style dramas where everyday men face choices of which they must eventually deal then this is the movie for you. The laws of karma cannot be escaped from.

Plus, I mean come'on its got Ryan Gossling and he's just yummy.

I choose to put up the first opening scene of the move instead of the trailer, as it is a good example of how the film maker keeps you wondering what is going to be happening. You can never really know where the characters stand or what they are going to do. It is a totally objective omniscient view, the director does not force you to believe one narrative or another. You fill the film with your own emotion, although there are touchstones where you are led to feel one way or another, such as several adrenalin inducing chases. The director makes the ordinary into monolithic, almost Shakespearian in breathe and depth, seamlessly amplified by the audio and soundtrack and I personally appreciated that.

I would say overall you are seeing a V-S style film, so if you are not big on imagery, sound, pace, tone (hello, cinematography) then this might not be appropriate movie to watch.

Here is the trailer.

I have a friend that's a cameraman in Hollywood. He said this movie and Rush were his favorite films because of the technical quality of the shot choices and camera direction.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and to add something useful to the thread. Baby driver is the best movie of the last 5 or so years, and The new Spiderman and Thor movies are top 5 MCU films.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to see justice league, it was OK -> could do better. Light entertainment, was pleasant enough.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lump View Post
    I'm watching gangs of new York after @reverie said it was good and I like it a lot. A really good story, and the world it happens in is captivating... I wonder how much it actually matches the past.
    That was the film I realized Leo was a great actor. The butcher is possibly the GOAT performance of all time and Leo held his own on screen with DDL.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bomb was to release a mass bioweapon. It wouldn't have actually blown anything up, just released a virus.
    Oh right right right. I forgot. Even still, the world needs hope right now, which is a central theme to the Dan Brown movies.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    That was the film I realized Leo was a great actor. The butcher is possibly the GOAT performance of all time and Leo held his own on screen with DDL.
    whats a GOAT performance?

TIM
    IEI 4 so/sp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    For what it's worth, I really enjoy the S. Korean Thriller Genre. The top 5 movies to watch if you like intense smart films and don't mind subtitles
    1. The Chaser
    2. I saw the devil
    3. Yellow Sea
    4. The Wailing
    5. Memories of Murder

All 5/5 films
    Next time I'm in the mood, I'll check those out. I've watched many Asian eng sub movies, I especially like thrillers.

Here are some favourites:

1. The red shoes AKA Bunhongsin based on the novel from Hans Christian Anderson.

2. A millionaires first love, it starts off like any other romantic comedy, light and fluffy but turns out to be a real tear jerker.

3. A fantasy-horror based on Hansel and Gretel, surprisingly good but beware their are a few parts that are quite sad/ disturbing:

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll pretty much watch anything with Leo in it. He's in almost all of my favorite movies. Almost all his movie are buy worthy, imo. I'd buy them without seeing them first. I don't do that much anymore. I usually rent them from the library first, unless I go to the movies. It's not even that I like him. He's just a great actor that's in great movies.

I think The Departed and The Beach are my favorite of his. Gangs of New York is probably 3rd.

I liked Catch Me if You Can, too.

The Wolf of Wallstreet was my least favorite, but the acting and movie was good, imo. I just didn't like his character at all (Jordan Belfort). Maybe my least favorite character of all time.
    Leo is a good actor.

What do you think of Jason Statham? He's not an acting-actor, but I think he's really cool, and does his type of film well. I really enjoyed the three transporter films he was in, and I've watched them a few times.

The Mechanic 2 was a good film as well, probably because of Jason.

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure. I don't think I've seen any movie with him in it. I haven't seen any of those you mentioned yet, but I'll have to!
    If you watch it, and you don't happen to enjoy it for some reason, and you're annoyed, that's all good, I'm OK with being shouted at haha

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. I wouldn't shout at you about it. I watched the trailers. I thought they looked pretty good. I think my husband would like them, at any rate.
    Yeah you're husband would like for sure.

Once you get more familiar with him (Jason Statham that is haha), you can decide whether to call him Jason, Jason Statham, or the 'Stathe' haha.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stathams best movie is Parker, or Safe. Well, not including lock stock & snatch.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lump View Post
    whats a GOAT performance?
    Greatest of all time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"The Shannara Chronicles" - 3/5.
    It's boring, cheap, strange races, idiotic script, bad actors, with redundant homosexual propaganda. But it looks pretty to switch off your brain. For those who likes fantasy + a little of post-apocalyptic.

"The Orville" - 2.5/5
    They evidently imitate "Star Trek". It's bad and good. Made for teenagers, so it looks primitive in everything. The future of people is prosperous, many human-like aliens which think almost like humans, the culture of people after hundreds of years seems did not changed significantly, besides the technology. A lot of homosexual propaganda, - even the captain was must to fuck with a man, being kind of heterosexual. If you liked "Star Trek" - there will be good moments and you are able to watch the season to the end.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Movie review in advanced:

Jumanji: Return to the Jungle (or whatever)

without having seen the movie and basing this soley off the trailer. Jumanji 2 is a steaming pile of horse shit and Robin is rolling in his grave. What a terrible looking CGI fuck fest and its got Dwayne Johnson so you know its going to be a commercialized turd. Jumanji is a computer game now? Right, need to stay current. Fuck you hollywood for once again ruining the legacy of a fantastic film. 0/5.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Movie review in advance:

Jurrasic World 2

premise: the fallen theme park is now under threat by a formally extinct volcano. Right, Isla Nublar is actually an awakened volcano and the Dinosaurs need to be rescued. Like COME ON hollywood, fuck you for writting, producing and directing such a lame piece of garbage. I guess where do you go after T-Rex, cuddle fish hybrids..? Right lets make the island an erupting volcano and lets have our protagonists (Chris Pratt - soo hot right now) AND the Dinosaurs all running away from a flowing pyroclastic cloud of ash and pummice. God what a derivative piece of Dino dung. 0 Dante's Peak outta 5

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 5 / 10
    idiocy for teenagers like all except original 4-6 parts. 1-3 at least did not look so cheap

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw a lot of movies this year. My top five in order:

1. The Disaster Artist (hilarious and with surprising heart; watch The Room beforehand to fully appreciate; left theatre feeling great)
    2. Get Out (representing real-life fears in symbolic form is the true essence of horror; left theatre feeling deeply disturbed)
    3. Dunkirk (hate Nolan usually, but I thought this was his most disciplined and focused film in ages; took full advantage of 70mm and IMAX; plus am a sucker for WWII period pieces)
    4. Coco (a bit formulaic, but otherwise Pixar’s best since Inside Out)
    5. The Big Sick (forgot this came out this year; really great film)

(I haven’t seen Baby Driver, Logan, Spider-Man Homecoming, The Post, Call Me By Your Name and a few other well-regarded movies this year.)
    Last edited by Animal; 12-20-2017 at 03:37 AM.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@reverie

So, star wars was 4.5/5 eh? I should go see?

I'm not keen on the star wars, they could be doing so much more. Now it's all owned by the same company, why iron man fighting the jedi etc. Anyway I shall try to fit it into my busy schedule.

Also, 4.5/5? What qualifies for 5

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

4.5/5

Rarely do I want to see a movie in theaters anymore, but I don't regret seeing this one in theaters. It didn't dissapoint. Might be the only one I enjoyed seeing in the last year, or thought was worth going to see in theaters (but I'm not in the loop as much as I used to be). I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

3.5/5

This surprised me. Had no idea what is was about when I rented it...but it had Daniel Craig in it, and some other good actors, so yeah... Thought it was actually pretty funny. The cast, I thought was pretty good, makes it work and enjoyable. Good chemistry. Same director as Oceans 11/12/13, and you can tell, but I think Oceans was much superior. This is like a hillbilly version of Oceans 11. lol. I wouldn't have went to the theaters and seen it, or would buy it, but worth watching once.
    Last Jedi was great.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast