Hybrid View

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    So, I was talking to this middle-aged Trump supporter who believes that Hillary Clinton was behind the murder of Epstein.

I asked him why someone who isn't American would be such a hardcore Trump supporter, especially given the fact that Trump had soured relations with his country and has attempted to damage it economically. In one of those rare, serendipitous revelations inspired by vast quantities of alcohol consumption, he finally blurted out what he was thinking all along: "I support Trump because he's against Muslims; I know he's bad for our country."
    I'm surprised he believes HC is behind the murder of Epstein... That gives her props.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by My Chemical Bromance View Post
    I'm surprised he believes HC is behind the murder of Epstein... That gives her props.
    Well, he's a conspiracy nut to begin with. He talks about Hillary like she's some mastermind trying to claw her way back into power. He even thought that Covid-19 was created by the Democrats and the CIA to destroy Trump's reelection chances, a belief he instantly dropped once he learned that Trump's approval rating actually went up because of the crisis.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, he's a conspiracy nut to begin with. He talks about Hillary like she's some mastermind trying to claw her way back into power. He even thought that Covid-19 was created by the Democrats and the CIA to destroy Trump's reelection chances, a belief he instantly dropped once he learned that Trump's approval rating actually went up because of the crisis.
    These guys are not operating on or influenced by logic.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    These guys are not operating on or influenced by logic.
    He's operating on alcoholism and clinical depression. At one point, I recall him being centre-left, even sympathetic to helping out refugees.

Now, he's dug himself into a pit where he spends his whole life surfing Fox news and lurching from one right-wing YouTube video to another. There are anecdotal reports about alt-right figures attracting massive online followings of lonely, depressed people -- I can say that I've witnessed this firsthand.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He's operating on alcoholism and clinical depression. At one point, I recall him being centre-left, even sympathetic to helping out refugees.

Now, he's dug himself into a pit where he spends his whole life surfing Fox news and lurching from one right-wing YouTube video to another. There are anecdotal reports about alt-right figures attracting massive online followings of lonely, depressed people -- I can say that I've witnessed this firsthand.
    Any theories about this?

I think that Ni-doms can be susceptible to conspiracy theories, or maybe it's people with low Te, IDK. I'm guessing.

I also think that Authoritarianism increases when people feel threatened. Bush & Company rode that horse as far as they could. Make people feel afraid, and they will follow the leader longer and farther.

Maybe he needs someone to tell him what is what at this point in his life when his own decisions are not working out for him, and he's mistaken assertive certainty for truth and accuracy?

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Any theories about this?

I think that Ni-doms can be susceptible to conspiracy theories, or maybe it's people with low Te, IDK. I'm guessing.

I also think that Authoritarianism increases when people feel threatened. Bush & Company rode that horse as far as they could. Make people feel afraid, and they will follow the leader longer and farther.

Maybe he needs someone to tell him what is what at this point in his life when his own decisions are not working out for him, and he's mistaken assertive certainty for truth and accuracy?
    He's Ti-dom. for sure. I worked with him for five years and, though he was always into conspiracies, it was minor, anti-government stuff like the conspiracy theory surrounding the Sandy Hook massacre — i.e. that it was faked. While he was always a bit xenophobic and had an in-group bias, it was never this visceral hatred of Muslims and refugees. If I recall correctly, his life spiralled out of control once his wife left him. My hypothesis is that she was his only source of Fe.
    Last edited by xerx; 04-20-2020 at 04:58 AM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He's Ti-dom. for sure. I worked with him for five years and, though he was always into conspiracies, it was minor anti-government stuff like the conspiracy theory surrounding the Sandy Hook massacre -- i.e. that it was faked. While he was always a bit xenophobic and had an in-group bias, it was never this visceral hatred of Muslims and refugees. If I recall correctly, his life spiralled out of control once his wife left him. My hypothesis is that she was his only source of Fe.
    Sad case.

It makes me wonder how many long-suffering wives are preventing the next mass shooting massacre, just by not leaving. They deserve medals.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, giving Dems props by assuming competence.