Thread: Mapping functions to brain areas

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mapping functions to brain areas

This is preliminary and not tested. The best way to test these would be to give a bunch of people certain tasks pertaining to each of the possible functions, while monitoring their brain activity. For example solving a math equation (-Ti), or watching a highly emotional movie (+Fe , +Fi).

This thread uses these:
    http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/...e-edge-effect/ -- Thanks @Chryssie
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...n-of-functions

-Frontal lobes: +Ti (left lobe), +Fi (right lobe), -Te (left lobe), -Fe (right lobe), +Se (both), +Ne (both),
    -Parietal lobes: -Fi, +Fe, -Ti, +Te, -Si
    -Temporal lobes: -Ne, +Ni, -Ni,
    -Occipital lobe: -Se, +Si

Analysis: On first view, it seems unbalanced that the frontal lobes perform so many tasks in contrast to the other lobes, but as evidence we have the instances were a person has suffered damage to their frontal lobes (or a lobotomy) and there have been major changes to their personality.

Last edited by mclane; 09-14-2019 at 08:30 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclane View Post
    This is preliminary and not tested. The best way to test these would be to give a bunch of people certain tasks pertaining to each of the possible functions, while monitoring their brain activity. For example solving a math equation (-Ti), or watching a highly emotional movie (+Fe , +Fi).

This thread uses these:
    http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/...e-edge-effect/ -- Thanks @Chryssie
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...n-of-functions

-Frontal lobes: +Ti (left lobe), +Fi (right lobe), -Te (left lobe), -Fe (right lobe), +Se (both), +Ne (both),
    -Parietal lobes: -Fi, +Fe
    -Temporal lobes: -Ne, +Ni, -Si , -Ni, -Ti, +Te

Analysis: On first view, it seems unbalanced that the frontal lobes perform so many tasks in contrast to the other lobes, but as evidence we have the instances were a person has suffered damage to their frontal lobes (or a lobotomy) and there have been major changes to their personality.

This makes me wonder if you can tell a person's type by which parts of their head are the most bony

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of the functions are primarily in the frontal lobe. You won't see well-defined brain regions so much as just patterns of activation if you do a scan.

Also, remember:

is being a human calculator, is finding the grand unified theory
    is singing operas, is soap operas
    is war and sports, is food and spa trips
    is stealing fire from the gods, is hanging yourself on a tree and learning the runes

Don't get your introvert and extravert functions confused.

@ouronis Congratulations, you have just re-invented phrenology. Great idea there. Remember, many black people are SEE.

Edit: I want to write a function poem now like the various rune poems for some reason. I think that's what people need to remember the functions better.
    Last edited by Pallas; 10-28-2016 at 04:11 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what its worth, Scientists change the dominant viewpoint on exactly what parts of the brain do what so often that it is likely fruitless to attempt this. For instance, there have been dozens of behaviors, emotions, and disorders pegged on the Amygdala that have since been removed.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verbrannte View Post
    Also, remember:

is stealing fire from the gods, is hanging yourself on a tree and learning the runes

This actually isn't that bad.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

All of the functions are primarily in the frontal lobe. You won't see well-defined brain regions so much as just patterns of activation if you do a scan.

Also, remember:

@ouronis Congratulations, you have just re-invented phrenology. Great idea there. Remember, many black people are SEE.

Edit: I want to write a function poem now like the various rune poems for some reason. I think that's what people need to remember the functions better.
    With these two facts in hand, my adventure begins.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

-Parietal lobes: -Fi, +Fe
    -Temporal lobes: -Ne, +Ni, -Si , -Ni, -Ti, +Te
    Uh... no.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have alternatives, go ahead and pòst them.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

If you have alternatives, go ahead and pòst them.
    I don't - that would require years of serious scientific research first - but I don't need any alternative to see how this is wrong.

It's simply not how the organization of the brain works. If you want, you can read up on it in depth.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Myst what do you think about the right frontal lobe being more P/irrational-ish and the left frontal lobe being more J/rational-ish.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    I don't - that would require years of serious scientific research first - but I don't need any alternative to see how this is wrong.
    Why is it wrong?

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    @Myst what do you think about the right frontal lobe being more P/irrational-ish and the left frontal lobe being more J/rational-ish.
    IIRC, that's an old theory and it's a lot more complex than that actually about how the hemispheres work.

Why is it wrong?
    I already said why - the brain's organization is way more complex than assigning one thing to one lobe. If you need the details, read up on it in more depth. Wikipedia isn't a bad place to start at for it.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already said why - the brain's organization is way more complex than assigning one thing to one lobe. If you need the details, read up on it in more depth. Wikipedia isn't a bad place to start at for it.
    I don't know about that. Since you seem to have researched the subject in depth, I was expecting some kind of response instead of just saying that my hypothesis is wrong. Did you see this in the op http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/...e-edge-effect/ ? This is what I used. You are probably right that is is more complicated than that though. Especially the fact that so many different types exist; it means there are many types of brain configurations regardless of the functions/brain areas they are more proficient at using.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC, that's an old theory and it's a lot more complex than that actually about how the hemispheres work.
    ok. idk if you have any sources. (i btw trust in your ability to search.)

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I don't know about that. Since you seem to have researched the subject in depth, I was expecting some kind of response instead of just saying that my hypothesis is wrong. Did you see this in the op http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/...e-edge-effect/ ? This is what I used. You are probably right that is is more complicated than that though. Especially the fact that so many different types exist; it means there are many types of brain configurations regardless of the functions/brain areas they are more proficient at using.
    I saw that article. My response: http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/braverman/overview.html

But it seemed to be too much bullshit even before reading about the author (since I noticed they were supposedly a M.D., it surprised me and looked them up).

Some of it is correct information but the way it attempts to link things together is... not.

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    ok. idk if you have any sources. (i btw trust in your ability to search.)
    I trust in your ability to search, too I don't have any specific sources that I could quote to you by heart.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw that article. My response: http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/braverman/overview.html

But it seemed to be too much bullshit even before reading about the author (since I noticed they were supposedly a M.D., it surprised me and looked them up).
    So, when asked what is wrong with the hypothesis presented in this thread, the best you can produce is an article critizicing non-allopatic medicine? That, and character assasination...

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, when asked what is wrong with the hypothesis presented in this thread, the best you can produce is an article critizicing non-allopatic medicine? That, and character assasination...
    I think she was just posting that article for its critique of that one doctor and the silly neurotransmitter hypothesis, although the site as a whole that that's from is just obnoxious IMO. I really think "allopathic" vs. "alternative" medicine should be chosen based on the context, like if you get stabbed in the leg or a case of bird flu, you should probably go to a modern doctor, but if you have chronic pain or hypothyroidism, herbs, diet and acupuncture are probably far better. Modern medicine is pretty much traumatic in nature, while alternative is gradual in nature, so of course the former works better for trauma and the latter for more gradual or chronic problems.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I think she was just posting that article for its critique of that one doctor and the silly neurotransmitter hypothesis, although the site as a whole that that's from is just obnoxious IMO. I really think "allopathic" vs. "alternative" medicine should be chosen based on the context, like if you get stabbed in the leg or a case of bird flu, you should probably go to a modern doctor, but if you have chronic pain or hypothyroidism, herbs, diet and acupuncture are probably far better. Modern medicine is pretty much traumatic in nature, while alternative is gradual in nature, so of course the former works better for trauma and the latter for more gradual or chronic problems.
    Yes I was posting it for that reason. And btw yes, that site is also crappy but I didn't bother with criticizing that too.

Oh and reposting the part that didn't belong to the derail discussion

I am quite sorry if you are unable to go and utilize Wikipedia or google for some other basic sources on how the brain works beyond my short summary of why the hypothesis doesn't fit with that.

And no, the point with that link was not character assassination, you've completely missed that one. Let go of your bullshit assumptions you are doing just because you didn't like my criticism of the original idea in this thread.

Stop distorting the facts too. It's not simply an article criticizing non-allopatic medicine, it for example talks about how this person charged people thousands of dollars for tests that weren't really doing anything to fix the patients's health problems. Clearly either zero understanding of how the human body works or worse, extracting money out of people on top of having that crappy understanding. What's relevant of that here is the fact on the bad understanding of the human body and brain.

But if you want to believe quacks on stuff, feel free to.
    Last edited by Myst; 11-10-2016 at 12:24 AM.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've made some modifications to the first post. Will try adding neurotransmitters shortly.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

neurotransmitters and hormones:

+Ne : controlled by dopamine
    +Se : controlled by dopamine and adrenaline
    -Te/+Ti: controlled by dopamine and [other]
    -Fe/+Fi: controlled by dopamine and endorphins
    -Se/+Si : controlled by serotonin and testosterone (plus estrogen-woman)
    +Te/-Ti: controlled by serotonin
    -Ni: controlled by GABA (?)
    +Ni/-Ne: controlled by acetylcholine and DMT
    -Si: controlled by GABA, histamine and glutamate (?)
    Last edited by mclane; 09-14-2019 at 08:55 PM.