TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Socionics types and Music Preference

For reference:
    http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=Music

I cannot remember if I posted on this topic before.

Based on my observations of rateyourmusic users taste in music and what they scored on personality tests (these are recollections from a long time ago):

-dominants: interested in short, punchy music, perhaps songs that are about two minutes long.
    Genres such as Punk Rock (The Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, The Ramones, Wire, Minutemen, Dead Kennedys, Hüsker Dü etc.), Power Pop (Green Day, Supergrass, Weezer etc.). The Pixies would be a good example of an artist they would like with short tracks (perhaps ILEs would prefer this).
    Might enjoy music like Ween, Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa etc.
    Possibly also Post-Punk/New Wave artists like Devo, Gang of Four, The Clash, Talking Heads (the first two mentioned may be more ILE-like).
    ILEs might be more inclined than IEEs to like Hard Rock such as Led Zeppelin, The Who, Black Sabbath, and Queen. IEEs would probably be more inclined towards Twee Pop and Chamber Pop (e.g. Belle and Sebastian, Sufjan Stevens, Andrew Bird, Tindersticks, The Divine Comedy... ILEs might be more inclined to like stuff like Of Montreal and The Shins (this is more of a guess on my part).
    Some forms of Art Rock may be preferred more by -types than -types (and perhaps it is more -like, in a similar way to how Post-Rock may be more -like). Television and Brian Eno's Art Rock albums (Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy), Another Green World, and Before and After Science, especially) may be examples
    Hip Hop and/or Plunderphonics artists such as Wu-Tang Clan, Madvillain, Dr. Octagon, DJ Shadow, The Avalanches, Girl Talk etc..

-dominants: more inclined to be interested in Latin Rock (e.g. Santana, Os Mutantes etc.), some forms of Psychedelic Rock (e.g. The Grateful Dead) and Acid Rock (e.g. Jimi Hendrix), Reggae, some forms of Jazz, "fusion" music. Some forms of Hard Rock, like AC/DC.
    Perhaps Singer/Songwriter artists in general, and perhaps the various forms of Folk, as well as Lo-Fi music (such as Pavement, Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel, Beach House, Ty Segall, Elliott Smith etc.).
    May like Glam Rock artists such as T. Rex, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, Suede etc. (some such artists like Sparks and The New York Dolls maybe also: I'm not sure if they would suit the -mood, or if they were perhaps be better suited for -dominants for example).
    May like Art Pop artists such as Björk, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Sufjan Stevens, Róisín Murphy, Bat for Lashes etc.
    Perhaps also Downtempo/Trip hop music, especially AIR, Goldfrapp, Gorillaz, Portishead, Massive Attack, Moby.
    Possibly some Prog Rock bands like Jethro Tull, Camel, Caravan, Renaissance, Yes.
    I am uncertain if -types would be especially inclined to Ambient music, but I think there is a possibility.

-dominants: Prog Rock (particularly Genesis, King Crimson, the applicable Pink Floyd albums (i.e. especially Ummagumma, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, and Wish You Were Here. (Everybody likes The Dark Side of The Moon.), Yes, Rush, Porcupine Tree etc.).
    Math Rock
    Concept albums in general.

-dominants: more inclined to listen to Post Rock (Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Sigur Rós, Mogwai, Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra etc.), Ambient, and Drone music, and similar dirge-like music.
    The Shoegaze genre.
    "Dark wave" artists such as Dead Can Dance.
    Techno artists like Aphex Twin and Autechre.
    Perhaps the Electronic genre in general.
    May like Downtempo/Trip hop music.
    I'm inclined to think Noise Rock (e.g. Sonic Youth) may be -like, although -types may also be inclined to like it.

-dominants: Queen may be a prime example (although it has been argued in the past that their music overall is indicative of an Alpha-vibe). An example of a Beta NF narrator/performer would be The Smiths/Morrissey

ST types: Metal music. Beta ST types may like metal that is more ominous such as death metal and similar variants.
    Delta ST types Possibly artists that fit into the "Heartland Rock" genre (a genre of rock music that is exemplified by the commercial success of singer-songwriters Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, and John Mellencamp).
    EF types: Pop in general. Singles rather than albums.
    NF types: Gothic Rock such as The Cure and The Sisters of Mercy. Perhaps Synthpop artists such as Depeche Mode, New Order, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark etc.
    EP types: Hip Hop artists such as Wu-Tang Clan, DJ Shadow, Kanye West etc.

"F"-types in general: more inclined to listen to music by female artists, as a crude rule.

Alpha quadra: Classic Rock bands in general. (i.e. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Beach Boys etc.)
    Beta quadra: Seem more inclined to what some might consider "dark" and/or angsty music and lyrics. Band such as Opeth, Tool, My Bloody Valentine, System of a Down etc.

I seem to have a notable blindspot when it comes to -music. Possibly artists such as Iggy Pop, Blondie, and The Pixies would appeal, as well as some artists with bawdy humour or style that I have already mentioned under (e.g. Ween, Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart), and Hip Hop artists like Kanye West.

(May be updated over time).

Others can of course post their own thoughts.
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 06-19-2021 at 08:11 PM.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    Joanna Newsom seems very .

i'll come up with more ideas, eventually.
    Yeah, I think she would fit in with "Delta quadra" musical preferences quite well. I will perhaps make some general quadra, club etc. observations at some point, although they will seem unnecessarily divisive.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's a cool topic

The reference sums up my taste quite a bit,

" : well-articulated, strong, unchanging rhythm; melody highly dependent on chord changes; preference for fairly fast tempo (e.g. a fast walk); strongly defined sections"

My favourite genre is trap (essentially a subgenre of hiphop), mix in a bunch of upbeat EDM and (k-)pop, house, R&B, trance, dubstep, grime. Bassdrums & hihats for the club all the way. Can be without lyrics, no problem. If there's text, it can have a statement of strength, power, energy (it's called braggadocio). What I like to listen to is pretentious Ballads... can be yearning, but I don't like them.
    Genres I avoid at all cost: metal, classical, folk music, punk, country. Experimental things.
    Tolerable: jazz, indie, alternative, latin, reggae.

Example time:

This track makes me want to explode. The context is romantic but the music has a good tempo and an unexpected chorus:

Ok, my all-time favourite to raise the roof, explicit and obnoxious. I can go all out on this

Simon Curtis making seductive music, 100% SX/SP vibes, kind of explicit as well.

And something slow that I prefer, also has a trap beat:

Bonus: Steve Aoki / Neon Future Album Mix, I adore the sound. The patterns are classic but the execution is so good.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm definitely like the Ni type music listed here the most.

Perhaps the Static/Dynamic dichotomy my play a large role in music preferences, with Static types prefer music that is constant and monotone while and Dynamic types preferring music that flows through ups and downs.

Some observations I just wanted to list based on my experience:

Delta types seem most inclined towards traditional folk-type music.
    Fi-doms seem to love piano songs.
    Ti egos all seem to be into some sort of rock/metal.
    Se-doms seem to pay attention to popular bands/artists the most.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought traditional folk type music meant stuff like going and listening to African drumming, American Indian chants, yodeling and polka type stuff, or Caucasian music. I think there's enough variety in there that that'd be a whole other thing besides classifying popular artists.

Also, I think opera is music. Would anyone else agree? I think NFs tend to like classical music more than most, followed by SFs, but not so many logical types. Stuff like Beethoven and Wagner is more beta (EIE/IEI) and Saint-Saëns is definitely EII music. Italian classical music is probably mostly alpha SF. ESI tends to like piano and flute music and things like that, SEE doesn't seem to care about classical music generally.

@Chae Congratulations on having almost opposite tastes to me. My favorite music tends to be classical, metal, folk, and sort of... art rock stuff? I can't believe I never learned the term for that, but basically whatever David Bowie's normal kind of music (that is, not Let's Dance) is called. Also prog rock sometimes. Basically I'm just sort of a Romantic artistically.
    Last edited by Pallas; 10-17-2016 at 05:28 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verbrannte View Post
    I thought traditional folk type music meant stuff like going and listening to African drumming, American Indian chants, yodeling and polka type stuff, or Caucasian music. I think there's enough variety in there that that'd be a whole other thing besides classifying popular artists.

Also, I think opera is music. Would anyone else agree? I think NFs tend to like classical music more than most, followed by SFs, but not so many logical types. Stuff like Beethoven and Wagner is more beta (EIE/IEI) and Saint-Saëns is definitely EII music. Italian classical music is probably mostly alpha SF. ESI tends to like piano and flute music and things like that, SEE doesn't seem to care about classical music generally.
    Opera is Fe yes.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I wanted to elaborate a bit more but people have already posted.

Music I dislike: Screamo, grunge, the vast majority of punk, the vast majority of mainstream pop, disco, whatever that hip hop stuff I keep hearing people play is

Weird things: I like some dance music, Europop, and New Wave stuff for dancing to but not so much just listening (I mean, that kind of music sounds nice, but it's sort of empty and utilitarian as far as art goes for me). I also like some music from musicals for some reason, but not musical music as a category (I mean, the Sound of Music and My Fair Lasy have some really good songs, but High School Musical and Newsies just tick me off. I guess I like sort of folksy musical music like you find in old musicals but not pop-ish musical music like in new musicals).

I think tribal music is pretty broad. Shamanic music is to me. That Indian polka mariachi music I heard of once, on the other hand, is probably not, to say the least. African drumming is largely, but not entirely, utilitarian from what I remember (like playing rhythms to communicate across the plains, which is cool), so I think that would vary.
    Last edited by Pallas; 10-17-2016 at 06:07 AM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Genres I avoid at all cost: metal, classical, folk music, punk, country. Experimental

That's kind of sad you would avoid these at all costs when you consider that all of these genres you mentioned have incredible amount of diversity. I mean I could maybe understand not liking a specific subgenre or artist but to dismiss all classical music folk, etc and avoid it at all costs seems quite narrow minded in my view. Like anything that happens to fall in that category cannot possibly be good and I'm not willing to find out that I might be wrong about that and maybe even once in a while be pleasantly surprised to discover new I now enjoy that I didnt expect. What is it exactly that repels you so strongly about these genres? And experimental music maybe I perceive it a available bit differently than you do but to me it's about willingness to take chances and push the boundaries a bit. Musically it can be a bit hit or miss but there is some that's pure genius and what's great is the uniqueness and originality . They don't sound just like everyone else.

LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly electronic music (trip hop, trap, downtempo, chill, ambient, trance, dubstep, drum and bass, synthpop...)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3f10xcrZFU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUEdtwct0ac
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyiUgXaCp2U

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I prefer melodic, action inspiring music. Mostly metal.
    May like some music in different genres: pop, trance, techno dance, ethnic, ...
    Had no significant interest still to: jazz, rap, orchestral classical, ... Maybe I need to hear more some of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB_zVyuAEDk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4WAc6mUNT0
    Last edited by Sol; 10-17-2016 at 09:34 PM.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    That's kind of sad you would avoid these at all costs when you consider that all of these genres you mentioned have incredible amount of diversity. I mean I could maybe understand not liking a specific subgenre or artist but to dismiss all classical music folk, etc and avoid it at all costs seems quite narrow minded in my view. Like anything that happens to fall in that category cannot possibly be good and I'm not willing to find out that I might be wrong about that and maybe even once in a while be pleasantly surprised to discover new I now enjoy that I didnt expect. What is it exactly that repels you so strongly about these genres? And experimental music maybe I perceive it a available bit differently than you do but to me it's about willingness to take chances and push the boundaries a bit. Musically it can be a bit hit or miss but there is some that's pure genius and what's great is the uniqueness and originality . They don't sound just like everyone else.
    We're dealing with taste here, which is highly subjective. I'm not narrow-minded, but selective - perspective. If you like these genres, dope! I keep to what matches my inner beat as well. It would be boring when we all liked the same things. That's why there are so many genres, they exist to be chosen or not, liked or not. You make me sound like a traditionalist hehe and if that is actually the case and I don't even realize it, amen, my approach is conventional then. But my point is: I don't want what you like, I want what I like and like you to like what you like.

Everything else is unrealistic. It's common sense that everyone doesn't sound like everyone else as well, yes I get that you refer to mainstream phenomena, and you're not into it, that's amazing. If I'm really missing out on something, being absolutely ignorant in the face of genius and variety, I don't care. I'm too busy blasting my latest discoveries Just like you, I hope. People who enjoy their faves make the world a better place. Your concerns are valid and I think about them but I prefer operating within my established system. Case in point, that's .

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My music tastes don't seem to align with any type observation.

I don't like: rap or hip hop (mostly) or slow and relaxing music, it's just boring imo. there are always exceptions. I also don't like screamo or thrash metal etc. Lighter metal is OK.

I like rock, punk rock, indie rock, a fair bit of classical, swing, jazz, a lot of electronic music (drum & bass, edm, electroswing), music in foreign languages, country (!), historical folk songs and marching songs, movie and game soundtracks, quite a lot of pop (and even disco LOL)
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It can be okay to listen to when angry, but that's it.
    It needs time to adopt. Then you'll accentuate on the melody.
    It has different emotional tones. Not aggression only, or anger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPjuuLKsGbM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtzw...995FE5DE85425E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODpXIYEQMxg

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We're dealing with taste here, which is highly subjective. I'm not narrow-minded, but selective - perspective. If you like these genres, dope! I keep to what matches my inner beat as well. It would be boring when we all liked the same things. That's why there are so many genres, they exist to be chosen or not, liked or not. You make me sound like a traditionalist hehe and if that is actually the case and I don't even realize it, amen, my approach is conventional then. But my point is: I don't want what you like, I want what I like and like you to like what you like.

Everything else is unrealistic. It's common sense that everyone doesn't sound like everyone else as well, yes I get that you refer to mainstream phenomena, and you're not into it, that's amazing. If I'm really missing out on something, being absolutely ignorant in the face of genius and variety, I don't care. I'm too busy blasting my latest discoveries Just like you, I hope. People who enjoy their faves make the world a better place. Your concerns are valid and I think about them but I prefer operating within my established system. Case in point, that's .
    Maybe you missed my point. I want to enjoy my faves too. I also don't like to miss out and I value keeping an open mind and expanding my tastes. It's the creative Ne. There are no genres I entirely dislike, although I do prefer some over others. I don't like to limit myself by genre because I listen to each song individually, judging it by its own unique merits. Also some of my tastes are admittedly traditional. I even like some of today's pop music (gasp!).
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

My top 100 artists for 2016. Some of the tags are wrong because I listen to a lot of chakra stuff and binaural beats that aren't tagged correctly. This is not all I listen to. I think there were 6 more pages of artists. Funny, I don't remember playing the foo fighters that much. It's possible my cousin listened on one of my devices while visiting. I guess the rest seems about right. I don't always have scrobbler running when I listen to music so I have listened to a lot more than 1101 tracks in 2016. I don't have scrobbler on my phone so Pandora isn't counted.

Total tracks: 1379
    Total unique tracks: 1101
    Song Repetition: 1.25

Top 10 Tracks: (more)
    1. Halsey - Castle (9 plays)
    2. Binaural Beats Opium - Pain Relief, Relaxation, sedative effect (8 plays)
    3. 7 Hours Mega Theta Meditation - Intense Theta brainwave entrainment with all theta binaural beats (7 plays)
    4. Florence + the Machine - Howl (Lyrics) (7 plays)
    5. Katatonia - The One You Are Looking For is Not Here (from Dethroned & Uncrowned) (7 plays)
    6. The Pretty Reckless - Make Me Wanna Die (6 plays)
    7. Tiamat - Carry Your Cross And I'll Carry Mine (6 plays)
    8. Aesthetic Perfection - Under Your Skin (5 plays)
    9. Amber Run - I Found (5 plays)
    10. Audioslave - Like a Stone (5 plays)

Top 10 Artists: (more)
    1. The Pretty Reckless (39 plays)
    2. Metallica (33 plays)
    3. Katatonia (28 plays)
    4. Foo Fighters (27 plays)
    5. Aesthetic Perfection (20 plays)
    6. Bohren & der Club of Gore (20 plays)
    7. Korn (20 plays)
    8. Nick Cave (20 plays)
    9. Green Day (17 plays)
    10. Halsey (15 plays)

Top 10 Albums: (more)
    1. The Pretty Reckless - (39 plays)
    2. Katatonia - (28 plays)
    3. Foo Fighters - (27 plays)
    4. Metallica - (23 plays)
    5. Bohren & der Club of Gore - (20 plays)
    6. Aesthetic Perfection - (20 plays)
    7. Nick Cave - (20 plays)
    8. Green Day - (17 plays)
    9. Korn - (17 plays)
    10. Halsey - (15 plays)

Top Artists:
    Artist Plays
    The Pretty Reckless (39 plays)
    Metallica (33 plays)
    Katatonia (28 plays)
    Foo Fighters (27 plays)
    Korn (20 plays)
    Nick Cave (20 plays)
    Aesthetic Perfection (20 plays)
    Bohren & der Club of Gore (20 plays)
    Green Day (17 plays)
    Rob Zombie (15 plays)
    Halsey (15 plays)
    Chelsea Wolfe (14 plays)
    Digital Daggers (14 plays)
    In This Moment (14 plays)
    Alice in Chains (13 plays)
    Death Cab for Cutie (13 plays)
    Tiamat (13 plays)
    Fever Ray (13 plays)
    Baroness (12 plays)
    Dorothy (12 plays)
    The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble (12 plays)
    My Dying Bride (11 plays)
    Marilyn Manson (11 plays)
    Florence + the Machine (10 plays)
    Type O Negative (10 plays)
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (10 plays)
    Judas Priest (9 plays)
    Lemon Jelly (9 plays)
    The Sisters of Mercy (9 plays)
    Anathema (8 plays)
    Placebo (8 plays)
    Puscifer (8 plays)
    She Wants Revenge (8 plays)
    Binaural Beats Opium (8 plays)
    Lykke Li (7 plays)
    Nine Inch Nails (7 plays)
    7 Hours Mega Theta Meditation (7 plays)
    Nirvana (7 plays)
    Delerium (7 plays)
    Iron Maiden (7 plays)
    Evoken (6 plays)
    Pantera (6 plays)
    Queens of the Stone Age (6 plays)
    Guns N' Roses (6 plays)
    User 254385527 (6 plays)
    Young Jeezy (6 plays)
    Slipknot (6 plays)
    Electric Wizard (6 plays)
    Flying Lotus (5 plays)
    Audioslave (5 plays)
    Limp Bizkit (5 plays)
    Crystal Castles (5 plays)
    Monster Magnet (5 plays)
    Mortal Love (5 plays)
    Portishead (5 plays)
    Slayer (5 plays)
    Tweaker (5 plays)
    Ulver (5 plays)
    Amber Run (5 plays)
    DMX (5 plays)
    Corrosion of Conformity (5 plays)
    Halestorm (5 plays)
    All Them Witches (5 plays)
    Mad Hatter (Lyric Video) (5 plays)
    Creed (4 plays)
    Doves (4 plays)
    Eminem (4 plays)
    Interpol (4 plays)
    KT Tunstall (4 plays)
    London Grammar (4 plays)
    Madonna (4 plays)
    Melanie Martinez (4 plays)
    Omnia (4 plays)
    Red Snapper (4 plays)
    Bauhaus (4 plays)
    Saint Pepsi (4 plays)
    Celtic Frost (4 plays)
    Team Sleep (4 plays)
    Deep Purple (4 plays)
    The Fixx (4 plays)
    The Offspring (4 plays)
    The Prodigy (4 plays)
    The Smashing Pumpkins (4 plays)
    The xx (4 plays)
    Tool (4 plays)
    Tricky (4 plays)
    Warpaint (4 plays)
    White Zombie (4 plays)
    Afghan Whigs (4 plays)
    Red Sun Rising (4 plays)
    Autolux (4 plays)
    Sex Pistols (4 plays)
    Burial (4 plays)
    The Clash (4 plays)
    Apocalyptica (3 plays)
    Brain Music (3 plays)
    3 Doors Down (3 plays)
    417 Hz (3 plays)
    Amesoeurs (3 plays)
    Danzig (3 plays)

When I search further back these are some of my tops artists.

The only Jace Everett song I have listened to is "Bad Things" when I was obsessed with "True Blood".

Country and Opera are my least favorite to listen to.

Edit: When I check the actual lastfm site for my top 100 artists for the last 365 days it is a little different from the site I used above but it is counting October 2015 to October 2016.

• ARTISTS SCROBBLED

Share…
    Last edited by Aylen; 10-18-2016 at 01:44 AM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Sol if you like metal and want to try classical to see if you like it I'd recommend German Romantic music. That was actually an inspiration for a lot of contemporary metal. Don't try Chopin or Saint-Saëns to determine if you like classical.

@totalize That reminds me of my dad's taste in music. I guess I can type him as gamma something-or-rather then. Also, screamo isn't actually a subgenre of metal and metalheads and screamos tend to hate each other's guts. Screamo is derived from emo (scream + emo) which is punk. Metal comes from blues and is not a form of rock at all. Metal is really at least half as diverse as rock but a lot of people who listen to Ozzy Osbourne and stuff call it rock and also other people call AC/DC metal when that's hard rock. [/nitpick]

Also, I apologize to the Russians here, but does anyone know what Caucasian music would be? Georgian and Chechen music at least sound like xIE to me somehow or another. It doesn't come across strongly defined for logic vs. ethics but it's melodic and tends to be loud with generally a lot of vocals and little percussion as well as basically the most dynamic music I've heard. I think a lot of "hill people" music generally classifies like that.
    Last edited by Pallas; 10-18-2016 at 12:56 AM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post

I think I have listened to every version of this song on youtube. This is still my favorite and the one I find most haunting. I remember turning off my scrobbler years ago (so no one would see how lame I was being) and playing this version 10 or more times in a row.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verbrannte View Post
    I'd recommend German Romantic music. That was actually an inspiration for a lot of contemporary metal.
    From what I heard in recent times, Handel was not bad.

> it's melodic and tends to be loud with generally a lot of vocals and little percussion as well as basically the most dynamic music I've heard

Music is mostly betish in impression. Dance music has significant percussions and is repetative, with a little trance effect. The example of Chechen's:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vOOZ_thTnY
    http://soundcloud.com/u12925712/umar-sagaipov-15
    http://soundcloud.com/u12925712/vis-...ird-allah-dela

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

love arab music and culture (before they went back in time). It is the pure opposite of my country.

This is good

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Aylen

"2. Binaural Beats Opium - Pain Relief, Relaxation, sedative effect(8 plays)"

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

A few years ago I did an analysis of my music ratings on rateyourmusic.com, to see which genres I preferred more than average (genre definitions as defined by rateyourmusic). At least one of these genres is not used on their site anymore (Alternative Singer/Songwriter).

The top genres I preferred which have a lot of releases attributed to them, in approximate order of preference, were: Art Rock, Twee Pop, Experimental Rock, Jangle Pop, Baroque Pop, Alternative Rock, Art Pop, Dream Pop, Indie Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, Singer/Songwriter, and Indie Rock.

The top genres I preferred which have comparatively fewer releases attributed to them, in approximate order of preference, were: Baggy/Madchester, Krautrock, Glam Rock, Art Punk, Ambient Pop, Rock Opera, Britpop, Chamber Pop, Slowcore, Progressive Pop, Alternative Singer/Songwriter, Proto-Punk, and Noise Pop.

Other genres I preferred, but to a lesser extent, which have a lot of releases attributed to them were: Soundtracks, Classical Music, Synth Pop, New Wave, Modern Classical, Pop Rock, Progressive Rock, Post-Punk, Pop, Electronic, Ambient, and Dance.

Other genres I preferred to a lesser extent, with comparatively fewer releases attributed to them, were: Alternative Dance, Plunderphonics, Downtempo, Post-Rock, Gothic Rock, Progressive Electronic, Country Rock, Electropop, Symphonic Prog, Vocal Jazz, Folk Rock, and Psychedelic Pop.

Some notes:
    -some of these genres are parents of others, e.g. Classical -> Modern Classical, and Progressive Rock + Experimental Rock -> Krautrock (obviously this may mean that -I prefer a subgenre more or less than its parent genre).
    -I indicate a slight preference for Noise Pop here, but do not seem to be especially fond of Noise Rock, which is a somewhat distinct entity. There may be other similar hidden preferences. (However, my preference for Dream Pop does not necessarily mean I similarly have a tendency to dislike "Dream Rock", which I do not believe even exists as a genre, at least not on rateyourmusic.com!
    -rateyourmusic.com does not really cater for Classical Music very well. I believe that I am someone who likes classical music more than the average discothequer, but in the context of what I've posted here, I cannot so accurately show my relative preference compared to the other genres.

I may post my least favourite genres at some point, although this is not something I have explored so much. Also, I may post some research I did on moods from allmusic.com, unless I have done so in the past...in which case, I may repost it again.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

@Aylen

"2. Binaural Beats Opium - Pain Relief, Relaxation, sedative effect(8 plays)"

They are relaxing.

I like stuff like this too, now and then.

The visuals are pretty mesmerizing.

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

love arab music and culture
    Middle Eastern culture is more correct term, as it's Egypt. Reminds Turkish music.

Swedish metal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT9sEHhJjcw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_NtCdMdGrg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c92ah7Wb3hU (kind of)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

In broad terms, genres I seem to dislike more than average include: Industrial Music, Jamaican Music, Metal, Hardcore Punk, Hispanic Music, Heavy Metal, Latin American Music, Electro, Caribbean Music, Reggae, Hip Hop, Traditional Folk Music, Avant-Prog, Punk Rock, Soul, Regional Music, Hard Rock, House, R&B, European Folk Music, Blues, Jazz Funk, Experimental, Jazz-Rock, Country, Garage Rock, Folk, Contemporary Folk, Electronic Dance Music, Lo-Fi Indie, and Indietronica.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Middle Eastern culture is more correct term, as it's Egypt. Reminds Turkish music.

Swedish metal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT9sEHhJjcw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_NtCdMdGrg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c92ah7Wb3hU (kind of)
    This is better

This too, is closer to metal

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

My favourite allmusic "Moods" from maybe a year ago:
    I collated all the Moods from my favourite albums (I think those I rated 4 to 5 stars out of 5) (432 in total).
    There was an average of 17.6 moods attributed to each album.

The 18 most common moods from my favorites were as follows (in order): Reflective (46.5%), Bittersweet (35.0%), Literate (34.5%), Hypnotic (32.9%), Melancholy, (32.6%), Theatrical (31.9%), Detached (31.0%), Playful (28.7%), Stylish (27.8%), Rousing (27.8%), Cerebral (27.6%), Dramatic (27.1%), Intimate (27.1%), Brooding (26.6%), Sophisticated (26.6%), Atmospheric (26.2%), Wistful (25.5%), Poignant (24.1%).
    The percentages are the % out of 432.

There were a further 16 that in combination with the first 18 made up just over 50% of all attributions: Intense, Quirky, Eerie, Ethereal, Trippy, Nocturnal, Earnest, Cathartic, Amiable/Good-Natured, Energetic, Freewheeling, Dreamy, Tense/Anxious, Witty, Elegant,Autumnal, Passionate, and Laid-Back/Mellow.

I have no baseline stats to how these might compare to "average" tastes, so I have no indication how significant they are.
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 10-19-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    The Ramones, Tom Waits, The Clash, Talking Heads, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Queen. Brian Eno, Santana, some forms of Jazz, "fusion" music. AC/DC NOT (= unimaginative LSE music, had to mention this),Roxy Music, Björk, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, AIR, Jethro Tull, Camel, Caravan, Yes, Ambient music (great when stoned, I particularly like the soundtracks Raoul Valve made to porn movies by Andrew Blake), Genesis (as a teenager, this was ma favorite band), King Crimson, Pink Floyd albums Yes, Rush (my favorite band in adolesence), Porcupine Tree, etc., Concept albums in general (I have a lot of them), definitively the Electronic genre in general, Trip hop, death metal, The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, (Why wasn't Gary Numan mentioned?), more inclined to listen to music by female artists, as a crude rule (guilty as charged), The Rolling Stones, Opeth, Tool, System of a Down etc., Lets not forget The Prodigy! Iggy Pop, Blondie,
    Yes, I'm a true cultural omnivore. And sentimental too:

“I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Gary Numan would probably be Synthpop, at least his most famous albums/songs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

This too, is closer to metal
    Led Zeppelin is one of those under influence of which metal was made.

another band, 1972
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr9ie2J2690

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Gary Numan would probably be Synthpop, at least his most famous albums/songs.
    Synthpop, really? To me, he's all gloom and doom. Even Are Friends Electric? has got quite some balls, I was awe-struck when I heard it when it was released. Still have the cassette I recorded it onto in 1979, you can't beat the vintage sound of that ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1P93r9xes&t=36m37s
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Synthpop, really? To me, he's all gloom and doom. Even Are Friends Electric? has got quite some balls, I was awe-struck when I heard it when it was released. Still have the cassette I recorded it onto in 1979, you can't beat the vintage sound of that ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1P93r9xes&t=36m37s
    I think @woofwoofl typed him ILI, and I typed him IEE at one point (I can see the merit in both typings). But his type might be distinct from which types might be more dispositioned to liking his soundscapes!

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Based on these clusters:

(as defined in this paper: http://ismir2009.ismir.net/proceedings/PS4-14.pdf (pdf link))

My preferences are as follows (with each mood in order):
    MM3 (36.4%): Bittersweet, Literate, Brooding, Wistful, Poignant, Autumnal.
    MM5 (18.6%): Intense, Tense/Anxious, Volatile, Visceral, Fiery,Aggressive
    MM4 (18.0%): Quirky, Witty, Whimsical, Wry, Humorous, Campy, Silly.
    MM1 (15.3%): Rousing, Passionate, Confident, Boisterous, Rowdy.
    MM2 (11.7%): Amiable/Good-Natured, Fun, Sweet, Rollicking, Cheerful.
    (Fun and Sweet were tied).

MT4 (31.1%): Bittersweet, Melancholy, Detached, Autumnal, (Whimsical, Wry: tied), Yearning, Plaintive, Somber, Wintry, Cynical/Sarcastic, Gloomy, Ironic, (Austere, Acerbic: tied), Sad, Bleak, Snide, Fractured, Bitter.
    MT3 (28.2%): Hypnotic, Intimate, Cathartic, Dreamy, Laid-Back/Mellow, (Soothing, Gentle: tied), Confident, Calm/Peaceful, Warm, Precious, Romantic, Sentimental, Innocent, Relaxed, Smooth, (Soft/Quiet, Springlike: tied), Naive.
    MT2 (25.3%): Playful, Rousing, Intense, Energetic, Freewheeling, Passionate, Lively, Exuberant, Fun, Rollicking, Exciting, Sexy, Cheerful, Carefree, Gleeful, Happy, Gritty, Joyous.
    MT1 (15.5%): Eerie, Tense/Anxious, Volatile, Fiery, Angst-Ridden, Aggressive, Boisterous, (Confrontational, Paranoid: tied), Provocative, Rebellious, Rowdy, Spooky, Brittle, Angry, Outrageous, Hostile, Unsettling, Fierce.

On the allmusic "Advanced Search", it groups the various moods into "meta-moods":
    Sad/Longing (15.3%): Reflective, Bittersweet, Melancholy, Brooding, Wistful, Searching, Yearning, Plaintive, Somber, Sentimental, Sad, Weary, Nostalgic, Elegiac.
    Refined/Cerebral (12.6%): Literate, Detached, Cerebral, Sophisticated, Elegant, Complex, Refined, Clinical, Austere, Stately, Difficult, Motoric, Narrative, Lyrical, (Dignified/Noble, Martial, Philosophical, Serious, Technical: all tied), (Mechanical, Understated: tied).
    Calm/Relaxed (11.6%): Intimate, Ethereal, Dreamy, Laid-Back/Mellow, (Gentle, Soothing: tied), Restrained, Calm/Peaceful, Delicate, Reserved, Relaxed, Pastoral, Soft/Quiet, Sparse, Lazy, Meditative, (Benevolent, Introspective Languid: all tied).
    Dramatic/Theatrical (11.4%): Theatrical, Stylish, Dramatic, Cathartic, Ambitious, Lush, Enigmatic, Elaborate, Epic, Indulgent, Eccentric, Hedonistic, Spiritual, Uplifting, Brassy, Reverent, (Hungry, Mysterious: tied), Opulent.
    Aggressive/Volatile (8.1%): Intense, Ominous, Volatile, Visceral, Angst-Ridden, Aggressive, Confrontational, Provocative, Rebellious, (Menacing, Reckless: tied), Uncompromising, Manic, Angry, Malevolent, Outrageous, Hostile, Harsh, (Nihilistic, Unsettling: tied), Fierce, Explosive, Outraged.
    Fun/Good-Natured (8.0%): Playful, Amiable/Good-Natured, Freewheeling, Witty, Fun, Cheerful, Carefree, Humorous, Campy, Gleeful, Happy, (Silly, Joyous
    Animated: all tied), Giddy, Agreeable, Positive.
    Trippy/Druggy (7.9%): Hypnotic, Atmospheric, Trippy, Druggy, Sprawling, Spacey, Meandering, Messy, Circular.
    Sweet/Light (5.2%): Poignant, Whimsical, Precious, Sweet, Bright, Innocent, Light, Naive, Effervescent, Tender, (Optimistic, Shimmering: tied), Transparent/Translucent, (Airy, Thoughtful: tied), (Pure, Rhapsodic: tied).
    Anxiety/Fear (4.9%): Eerie, Tense/Anxious, Gloomy, Urgent, Paranoid, Spooky, Fractured, Anguished/Distraught, Suffocating, (Dark, Suspenseful: tied), Apocalyptic.
    Cynical/Wry (3.8%): Wry, Brash, Cynical/Sarcastic, Ironic, Acerbic, Snide, Sardonic.
    Organic/Earthy (3.2%); Earnest, Warm, (Earthy, Organic: tied), Gritty, Ramshackle, Knotty, Rustic, Crunchy.
    Passionate/Sensual (2.9%): Passionate, Romantic, (Sensual, Sexy: tied), Self-Conscious, Sleazy, Euphoric.
    Bleak/Cold (2.8%): Nocturnal, Cold, Insular, Bleak, Brittle, Bitter.
    Swaggering/Street-Smart (1.6%): Swaggering, Irreverent, Gutsy, Trashy, Driving, Street-Smart, Strong, (Bombastic, Powerful, Thuggish: all tied), (Greasy, Virile: tied).
    Slick/Smooth (0.7%): Smooth, Sparkling, Slick, Flowing.
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 10-20-2016 at 12:11 AM.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is somewhat tangential to the main thread but I still think it would be interesting to examine type and musical preferences in relation to this: I sort of think think classical music can also be sorted by Gulenko's cognitive styles based on a comment goldenbane made on Chopin's music containing fractals.

Casual-determinist: Bach, Mozart
    Dialectical-algorithmic: Wagner, Schoenberg
    Holographic-Panoramic: Chopin
    Vortical-Synergetic: John Cage, Morton Feldman, Penderecki
    Last edited by Pallas; 11-01-2016 at 04:26 PM.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try anything and I enjoy a lot of different genres, but I tend to gravitate toward indie music and EDM. The harder, the better.
    Music from games, movies, and shows are also A+.

And then there's things like this

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genres I listen to are: Classic rock, rock, grunge, heavy metal, stoner/sludge/doom metal, hip-hop & rap, indie rock, oldies like Motown and 50's on up, old school outlaw country, Appellation folk, blues. I like a lot of different types but the most I stick with is heavy rock, always. Fave bands would be Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kid Rock, Eminem, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, KoRn, Primus, early 90's Chilli Peppers, System of a Down, Godsmack, and some others but those are my faves.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Music has to be hypnotic and familiar, so my musical preferences differ when it comes to what emotions I am familiar with and what moods I can get into. I can't exactly listen to antagonistic and aggressive music, overly experimental music(which to me alot of the times feels emotionally void in that they try too hard to focus on interesting and distracting effects rather than mood), simplistic music where the lyrics makes the singer's life seem boring as fuck(this comment is 100% towards Country music) alongside music that is way too verbose and dramatic like metal music where the singers are all white with white beards in a white background (power metal) and they just cheesily yell everything as if yelling is an emotion. I think the common theme with my taste is that it's easier for my imagination and heart to get involved with music that doesn't force you to feel a certain way or is about specific events rather than relatable moods or values, or is just too boring or distracting. I love music that catches your attention but you can just listen to it while doing something else and it puts you in a zone.

The type of music that would be the polar opposite of what I like would be five guys in pirate costumes screaming the 5 most recent events in the main singer's life where the tempo never changes and he just repeats the same lyrics just so the details of his relationship are etched in my brain. A song like that would give me a headache and It's making me sick just thinking about it. Maybe I am not Fi valuing when it comes to music too personal and too boring

I listen to simple music too though it's just that it's usually not mundane or meaningless, Like folk music for example. Or anything with a simple melody but has the power of affecting you.
    Last edited by chrys; 02-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I really enjoy complex musical arrangements with a subjectively pleasurable harmony. I do not like repetitious song structures, especially dance music. I don't pay much attention to lyrics, probably because they are very specific to the mood and circumstances of the artist, and often just do not apply. I don't really look for music to relate to in this kind of way. I just want something musically enjoyable to listen to and isn't too boring. I like some classical music, like some Baroque, Classical, and Romantic Era composers, and movie scores. However, I find much of classical music unenjoyable. I do love the sound of certain instruments, like the piano and the cello. However, I absolutely love the electric guitar and drums together. I love guitar work that changes tempo and keys, that works up and down the neck, and have complex progressions. I love complex drum arrangements. I am really drawn to hard rock and metal for these reasons. I also like lyrics that more idea based, philosophical, and concept based than sentiment or heavy in personal emotional expression, although I can't help but be influenced by such music from time to time(I'm only human).

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I pay the most attention to the lyrics and how much they resonate with me. I listen to mostly classic rock, 90's and today's alternative.

My favorite band ever is Led Zeppelin. I love their lyrics and they just have this really mystical and fantasy like band persona, a little more on the darker side, that really calls to me and draws me in, not to mention their LOTR themed songs (). I'm a fellow LOTR enthusiast. I like their more folk-like songs the most.

I like bands with more poetic, deep, or heavy lyrics, slower, and darker in nature. Simon and Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, The Doors, are among my favorites.

I also like some lighter classic rock like The Eagles, CCR, Steve Miller Band. I refer to The Eagles as my antidepressant band because they always uplift my mood. Crosby Stills Nash and Young are also a favorite. Love their lyrics and their harmonious vocals.

I listen to AC/DC when I need motivation.

I'm also a big fan of The Goo Goo Dolls. I like their lyrics a lot.

I hate rap and hip hop. Some pop songs are 'ok' but I don't really like pop music. I was raised on country music, and I don't really care for it that much either, maybe I'm burnt out, but I don't enjoy listening to it anymore.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    I really enjoy complex musical arrangements with a subjectively pleasurable harmony...
    I just want something musically enjoyable to listen to and isn't too boring...
    I do love the sound of certain instruments, like the piano and the cello...
    I love complex drum arrangements...
    I like this ones too.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i had to pick a favourite artist/composer, it would probably be J.S. Bach, specifically his sacred cantatas. The blend of beautiful harmony, a moving, often poetic setting of great passages from biblical texts as well as original poems, the great instrumentation and, of course, the contrapunctal movements. Nearly all of them are absolutely divine, and they never fail to move me, often to tears.
    Heres a few i've been enjoying recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWY02RC2LSQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln9MBa8lXV4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQl42VeDqmU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast