Thread: Socionics types and Music Preference

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't like emotional dissonance i.e. if the contrast between my mood and the music is too wide then I feel unbalanced, so I think there's a lot of mood management involved. I love music that makes me feel calm, like a continuously smooth transition from sound to sound, and I like experimental sounds, especially if the sounds don't immediately make sense together. hip hop and its stylistic variants probably comprise the sum of my playlists. I gravitate toward alternative and experimental hip hop, which comprises dozens and dozens of mini-genres, and I have a strong affinity for instrumentals (especially of the foreign variety) and I enjoy a mix between electronic and ambient with an experimental edge (downtempo, trip hop, nu jazz, chillstep, jazz rap)

here's an example of music that makes me feel calm [x] followed by some nujabes which is high up there for me [x] [x] [x] and I love tracy chapman [x]

hip hop is difficult for me to flesh out in terms of illustrating my tastes because it's so expansive, but I think I might have a slight preference for semi-modern midwest hip hop (atmosphere is my #1) and I love the dirty south. I don't know why but the energy is just so contagious I can't resist, whereas midwest hip hop is slicker, more smooth in comparison. what's interesting about the "east coast vs west coast" debacle, is that in terms of geography alone, I like the west coast, but I'm a way bigger fan of east coast hip hop. I like conscious rap in the realm of artists such as mos def, common, talib kweli, lauryn hill, aesop rock, which includes def jam poetry (I don't know if this falls under music preferences?) but there's a lot of overlap between those artists and the aforementioned subgenres, so it's hard to place them anywhere perfectly. partially because I don't care, but mostly because it's too hard.

I love the 40s-early 60s (?) so genres such as swing, variations of jazz (i.e. bebop and hard bop), rhythm and blues, even some 50s rock, but I don't like rock and roll from the late 60s-70s, aside from blues rock and psychedelic rock (namely jimi hendrix) but this is all fairly light listening for me. I wouldn't consider myself too knowledgeable outside of the knowledge that if you were to play music from the aforementioned genres, I'd probably welcome it.

with foreign music, it's always been hard for me to remember specific artists or groups from this category. I just know I have a natural affinity for spanish, irish, and traditional japanese music, I like some indian and I don't know which specific area, but different variations of arabic music are pretty. essentially if it's foreign, there's a high chance I'll like it, especially if it's more traditional and folk-y, but europe is slightly less enticing than the rest of the world.

I don't usually listen to albums all the way through (with a few notable exceptions) but I do think the music I listen to follows a certain flow while I'm listening. most of the music I like doesn't inspire a strong urge to listen to anything and everything created by said artist or group. I just listen to music as I find it and if that results in me listening to more of that specific artist or group, then that's cool, but if not then I don't get too hung up on "covering all my bases" so to speak. my music preferences have changed a lot over the years, but it's more like branching out from my original genres of choice into slightly different territory, like it expands slowly, sometimes it seemingly breaks away from the original genres, but there is probably still an underlying pattern to my likes/dislikes since there are quite a few genres I haven't even bothered checking out, or I have and it was just a traumatizing experience.

tl;dr after quickly skimming my post, it seems that I almost exclusively enjoy music made by black people, but I can enjoy music made by white people as long as they're not american, which I don't think is entirely accurate because I like female folk singers who tend to be white americans, so it might be more accurate to say that I don't like music made by white american men, especially when they come in the form of rock bands from the 60s/70s era
    Last edited by wasp; 03-05-2018 at 06:34 AM.