Thread: Enneagram Type Six: Defender

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    You can't surpass a 6 in terms of loyalty and watching out for ya. Gotta love em.

bro you okay that ur okay or are you not sure
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I thought these Springsteen quotes were interesting because to me they speak to his music as a vehicle for integration to 9.

"Adult life is dealing with an enormous amount of questions that don't have answers. So I let the mystery settle into my music. I don't deny anything, I don't advocate anything, I just live with it."

"The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with."

"Until I realized that rock music was my connection to the rest of the human race, I felt like I was dying, for some reason, and I didn't know why."

"The wonderful thing about rock music is even if you hate the other person, sometimes you need him more, you know. In other words if he's the guy that made that sound, he's the guy that made that sound, and without that guy making that sound, you don't have a band, you know."

"I'm always in search of something, in search of losing myself to the music."

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some counterphobic imagery by one of the most popular 6 representatives.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

lowish health level 6w7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SX-6w7

SP-6w7

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

6 so/sx (IEI?)

"intense cynicism that really is based in fear"

"fear is the key word for me"

"afraid of ... everything, you name it"

"but it's not like a cowering fear: it's a deep down, core belief that ultimately the world cannot be trusted - the world is going to get ya, and so is everybody else in it. That there is not another person on the planet that you can rely on, so like ... every person is going to hurt you, the world is going to hurt you. In the end, you always die alone and you're never going to be ok - you're never going to be safe. And that provokes in me a response. That response is, I guess, what they call 'counterphobic', which is: "I'm not going to cower. I'm going to run into the danger." It sort of looks like courage, but it's just more fear - it's just one response to fear."

"I'm constantly preparing for the next catastrophy - doesn't matter what it is. If you get into an emergency you want a Six around, because we are the folks who have not only prepared for the emergency, but we've been expecting the emergency for years. We brought everything that you're going to need. We've already read 6 books on how to fix it. We're just mad it didn't come earlier, because we were expecting it. And it's not like hurricanes and floods, it's also relationships - it's people, it's relationships, it's people breaking up with you, it's people firing you ... I like constantly believe I'm going to get fired, regardless of my job performance."

"I want people who deal with Sixes, whether it's at work or at home, to know that ultimately we want you to be consistent, reliable, and loving. Consistency and loving are almost the same thing for me. ... For me the most romantic thought in the world is that my wife has made a commitment, that I know she believes we're committed to each other."

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Combination of 6, 8, 2:

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite sure what's 6 about these?
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Shit, that sounds like my mother.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

468 tritype with core 6?

The Truthsayer archetype is primarily about living in alignment with truth. But what truth? If you happen to belong to a religion, then you may align yourself completely with the doctrine and tenets of that religion. If you are raised by hippies, gypsies or other fringe groups you will find a need to articulate your truth according to your reality and therefore live by that. The Truthsayer needs something absolute to align themselves with. They are typically not flaky people who flip-flop according to popular opinion. Quite the opposite actually: They prefer to establish their beliefs and then hold to them with the tenacity of an alligator bite. Sometimes this makes them rigid and unyielding and in an argument they are always RIGHT, even if they are wise enough not to state it outright.

Understanding the Shadow Truthsayer

Black or White?

The Shadow Truthsayer is often bound by black and white thinking. In its extreme, this can become a borderline personality disorder known as splitting. Black and white thinking gives the Shadow Truthsayer a false sense of security and a platform from which to preach their truth. Being able to place all events, ideas, motives and behaviors into two camps is not much different than any of the other obsessive disorders such as OCD where the external world needs to be modified so that it can be controlled. The Shadow Truthsayer scrambles to fit all of life into the logical world of light and dark, good and bad, acceptable and unacceptable, legal and illegal, moral and immoral. This creates a deep dilemma for the Shadow Truthsayer: What happens when the legal becomes immoral, the unacceptable becomes the good? This torturous dichotomy makes the Shadow Truthsayer deeply conflicted.

Being Right

The Shadow Truthsayer feels compelled to align everyone to the same truth even if this means forcing their truths onto others or more subtly, manipulating others to feel bad about their choices and to see, on their own, the wisdom of the Truthsayer. This can be done on a very minor scale such as correcting someone’s account of events, or reminding them that their time was off by a few minutes, or that they misquoted someone by a word or two. Even though the spirit of their statement was true the Shadow Truthsayer is fixated on the absolute and specific. Living by the letter of the law is a good motto for the Shadow Truthsayer. The Shadow Truthsayer’s good intentions can end up alienating others and causing them to avoid certain topics or engaging in conversation at all. No one likes to be preached to or be constantly corrected. The main focus of the Shadow Truthsayer is being right. They don’t need to bend the rules or manipulate facts, they believe they are more right than others because they don’t bend the rules or manipulate facts. This allows them to maintain a superiority over others and a judgmental nature that they feel is completely justified.

All or Nothing

The Shadow Truthsayer tends toward extremism. They live by an all or nothing rulebook that leaves little room for moderation and open-mindedness. This all or nothing mindset gives the Shadow Truthsayer a tenacity that others find perplexing if not a little admirable. They plunge themselves into whatever they believe is their truth and take it all the way to its limits. They are seeking, not just some truth but the most truth. This is why they end up in extreme behaviors. For example: A Truthsayer in the shadow might be promoting a certain politician. They will not rest until everyone in their immediate circle agrees to vote for that politician and then they move onto influence others further outside their circle. They are an unstoppable force willing to go to whatever ends required as long as it does not infringe upon their other beliefs. If the politician asks them to lie, they would feel compelled to abandon the politician completely and disregard his/her entire message and all the policies involved on account of that one request. They would never consider that they could support the policies without supporting the politician. This kind of extremism shows a lack of critical thinking and mindless obedience to a set of beliefs. Paradox is an impossibility for the Shadow Truthsayer.

Rigid and inflexible

The Shadow Truthsayer is rigid and inflexible. They are rigid and unyielding out of a sense of commitment to their positions or beliefs. A good example of this rigidity and inflexibility is the character of Javert from Les Miserable. Javert is so obsessed with following the law that he never stops to consider whether or not that law is just and worthy of following. The law is the law. This kind of inflexibility is standard procedure for the Shadow Truthsayer. Just as Javert is blind to the nobility and sacrifice of Jean Valjean so the Shadow Truthsayer is blind to the values of others, denying them the freedom to learn and to follow their own path. When Valjean actually has a chance to kill Javert he does not do it, out of sense of principle, and Javert is both startled by Valjean for his mercy and also disgusted with what he deems a lack of commitment to his cause. Javert has single-minded focus on capturing Valjean and bringing him to justice according to the law. Javert cannot reconcile Valjean as both a criminal and noble individual. This kind of paradox is impossible to the Shadow Truthsayer. This causes so much distress that Javert’s only recourse was to commit suicide, thus ending the struggle. This is another example of the extremism associated with the Shadow Truthsayer.

The Need for Authority

The Shadow Truthsayer needs to ally themselves with some authority to which they bind their loyalties. For many, that authority can come in the form of the law, the boss, the religious leader, the guru, etc. This comes from a profound sense of insecurity and the inability to trust themselves and their own inner guidance. Once they gain this false sense of security they will not question the authority or their own beliefs nor do they want others to question it either. This alliance with some kind of authority is a form of survival. Deep down the Shadow Truthsayer longs to be accepted and supported and they fear being abandoned and left alone. This is one reason they are so loyal, because loyalty is the currency which they can buy their security. The authority figure provides the framework for the Shadow Truthsayer to feel supported and ultimately to provide the guidance they feel they lack. Because of this dependence on some external form of authority the Shadow Truthsayer lacks problem solving skills and creative thinking. They tend to repress emotions that are not in alignment with this authority or set of beliefs and deem themselves the problem when things don’t fit in the model of black or white. They really believe that if they try harder, focus more, improve faster, that absolutism can be achieved.
    At its worst the Truthsayer is a self-righteous extremist, who can be pushy, insecure, judgmental, narrow minded and inflexible.

Understanding the Enlightened Truthsayer

Sense of Honor

The Enlightened Truthsayer believes in honorable actions as well as honorable motives. Similar to the Knight’s Code of Chivalry the Enlightened Truthsayer follows a personal code of honor that reflects their own deepest truths. They bind themselves to this code of conduct with a kind of blind faith. Because this code is created by the Enlightened Truthsayer and not some outside authority figure or liege lord, the code can be re-examined and modified as needed and it acts as a personal compass for living an honorable life. The Enlightened Truthsayer’s “word is as good as his bond” and forms the law by which they align themselves. The Enlightened Truthsayer, is therefore, careful about what he or she says and is not flippant about commitments. Their sense of duty to themselves and their code of honor can be a source of inspiration and support for others.

Absolute Balance

A common image from the Tarot, the High Priestess, represents the Enlightened Truthsayer. She sits crowned and calm between two pillars, one black and one white with her foot resting on the moon. She represents the power that holds the two polarities of dark and light from colliding. She wears a blue robe representing wisdom and knowledge and wears the solar cross on her breast. This is a symbol of the balance of male and female. She sits in front of a thin veil covered in palm leaves and pomegranates. This is depicting the worlds of awareness and unawareness. She is the guardian of balance and has a connection to the mythic Persephone. In her hands is a book of laws and yet she carries the secret law in her heart. She is connected to the wisdom of both positive and negative energies. The Enlightened Truthsayer is easily connected to intuition and has an innate gift to bring balance to any situation. The Enlightened Truthsayer often acts as a mediator bringing a new perspective to two side of an argument, clarity where there is misunderstanding and guidance to those who feel lost. They can separate truth from fiction, light from darkness and even take the muddled gray and return it to its pristine origins of black and white for the purpose of greater understanding and awareness of the larger reality.

Speaking the Truth

The Enlightened Truthsayer is first and foremost an honest person. Sometimes their honesty can be too much for some people. Trustworthy, loyal, reliable, responsible and committed they are usually the ones everyone relies on and can count on. The Enlightened Truthsayer can see the truth in themselves and are willing to make an honest assessment of their own beliefs. They trust their inner voice and the values that guide their life. The truth is a constant source of strength and a strong motive for correct actions. The pursuit of truth is the goal of the Enlightened Truthsayer. They are so truthful that they become extremely trustworthy and people can depend on them for accurate information. They are gifted with wise and good judgements and can discern the truth from all the lies out there. Some Enlightened Truthsayers are adept at sensing when someone is lying or not being completely forthcoming. They are typically empathic and can sense accurately the emotions in others.

The Clarifier

Whenever there is a conversation the Enlightened Truthsayer is right there to make sure everyone understands and communication is clear. They make it a point to speak clearly and give all the details (sometimes too many) and generally prevent the kinds of misunderstandings that cause arguments and social tension. In a way, they become the balance for the whole room asking questions and prompting further investigation of motives and statements to bring a harmonious element to the conversation. Getting facts right is another important quality to the Enlightened Truthsayer.Look to a Truthsayer when you need to verify information. Truthsayers make excellent historians, archeologists, biographers and anyone dealing with uncovering facts and details. Clarification is an ability to sort things into compartments for understanding but not into camps of right and wrong.

Persephone and the Underworld

Persephone is also a symbol of the Truthsayer archetype. She is kidnapped by Hades and taken to the Underworld (the dark side) where she eats a single pomegranate seed condemning her to spend half of her time in the underworld and the other half in the world above creating a new awareness of both the light and the dark. Persephone is transformed in the Underworld. She returns to Demeter with new wisdom and awareness of the balance between life and death. She represents the two seasons, spring/summer and fall/winter. The seasons are broken into two halves-light and dark, growth and decay. It is this concept of separating everything into two polarities and holding the balance that is at the heart of the Enlightened Truthsayer.
    At its best the Truthsayer is honorable, wise, balanced, truthful and trustworthy.

Questions to better understand the Truthsayer Archetype

1.Do you have a compulsion to tell the truth even if it is to your disadvantage?
    2. Do you feel really guilty when you lie, even about meaningless stuff?
    3. Is honesty extremely important to you?
    4. Do you find yourself being very specific about details and getting facts right?
    5. Has it been difficult to trust your inner voice?
    6. Have you leaned on some authority figure for guidance sometime in your life?
    7. Do you clarify for others when you sense a misunderstanding?
    8. Do you relate to the concept of the Knight’s Code of Chivalry?
    9. Do you have a strong sense of personal honor?
    10. Do find it difficult or dishonorable to live in the “gray zone?”
    11. Do you like to put things into black and white compartments?
    12. Have you always considered yourself either a “good girl/boy” or a “bad girl/boy?”

To better understand the Truthsayer learn about the # 6 Enneagram which corresponds to many of the qualities of the Truthsayer. Also read more about the Tarot card of the High Priestess and the story of Persephone and Demeter.
    https://susannabarlow.com/on-archety...yer-archetype/

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Type Six - The Loyalist, also known as the Hothead or the Social Justice Warrior

Sixes are one of the most widely dispersed types, but they are particularly common on Tumblr, in focus groups and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. They loathe being oppressed by other people, which in turn leads them to oppress others to prevent being oppressed themselves...don't worry, it's complicated. Everything about this type is complicated. Remember that!

Do not make a joke about fat pride, the IQ gap or Islam in front of a Six, as they will identify you as a Trump voter (their nemeses) and become Ax-Crazy. Sixes in this reactive state are also allergic to sexual contact, so they cannot be calmed down by a sensual pussy grab. This is a major point of difference between Sixes and their patriotic, vaginally explosive cousins Four and Eight.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

self-pres 6

[img]https://68.media.tumblr.com/eae52700ede96d401434440b0cc5053d/tumblr_ovnz***Rb51rir0h2o1_540.jpg[/img]

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Default Sx/Sp 6w7

SX 6: Strength and Beauty - Symbols of Power and Connection - Fierce - Bulldog - The Warm Ally - The Warrior - Provocative
    "I am provocative, dedicated, elegant, charismatic, daring and caring."
    SX/SP
    • Need to prove desirability and strength
    • Males likely to show strength and females likely emphasize looks, security comes from knowing they’re desirable
    • Resemble 3’s need for validation and competitiveness
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w7 social - Douglas Murray

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This picture is terrifying to me after watching the interview of Jeffrey Dahmer and his father. His father has admitted that he would imagine killing people who have offended and crossed him. His belief was that internal wishes of parents may become realized by their children, and implied that this is why he is not denouncing his son for the murders because he feels his own guilt in his behavior.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuivienen View Post
    Type Six - The Loyalist, also known as the Hothead or the Social Justice Warrior

Sixes are one of the most widely dispersed types, but they are particularly common on Tumblr, in focus groups and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. They loathe being oppressed by other people, which in turn leads them to oppress others to prevent being oppressed themselves...don't worry, it's complicated. Everything about this type is complicated. Remember that!

Do not make a joke about fat pride, the IQ gap or Islam in front of a Six, as they will identify you as a Trump voter (their nemeses) and become Ax-Crazy. Sixes in this reactive state are also allergic to sexual contact, so they cannot be calmed down by a sensual pussy grab. This is a major point of difference between Sixes and their patriotic, vaginally explosive cousins Four and Eight.
    Type doesn't determine political leanings. An unhealthy 6 could just as easily be hypersensitive wrt to perceived left wing authoritarianism. I've seen it, and I think ppl like that mistype as 1s sometimes but they're too reactive and easily triggered. (ie @InvisibleJim vs @squark)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    This picture is terrifying to me after watching the interview of Jeffrey Dahmer and his father. His father has admitted that he would imagine killing people who have offended and crossed him. His belief was that internal wishes of parents may become realized by their children, and implied that this is why he is not denouncing his son for the murders because he feels his own guilt in his behavior.
    Damn, that is a lot of guilt to carry for having thoughts but I understand why someone might feel that way if their child carried out their repressed desires. I don't know much about Dahmer specifically but have read about other serial killers who consciously chose to kill and knew they had the choice not to. They also knew the difference between right and wrong but didn't have a conscience about it. I think his dad needs to get a lot of therapy so he realizes that he may have thought about it but he chose not to do it. His son chose to do it.

Funny that you quoted this right now because I was about to respond to something @Simo posted with this image but I decided I would just mention the synch here.

YWIMW

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Type doesn't determine political leanings. An unhealthy 6 could just as easily be hypersensitive wrt to perceived left wing authoritarianism. I've seen it, and I think ppl like that mistype as 1s sometimes but they're too reactive and easily triggered. (ie @InvisibleJim vs @squark)
    Yeah, your environment will play a role in determining how you act out your type's neuroses.

That being said, the revolutionary/activist left most definitely has Six-ish motives and concerns.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny that you quoted this right now because I was about to respond to something @Simo posted with this image but I decided I would just mention the synch here.

how cruel & cold-hearted can you get to kill someone who is as innocent as a new born baby?!
    but if you're gonna kill me in your mind anyway at least make sure to do it in an elegant & painless way

P.S. don't just say "something" I posted it makes me curious , tell me which post

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice resource, added to my to read list

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Default 6w5

New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Faith is a state of openness or trust…In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe, becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to the truth, whatever it might turn out to be.
    Shunryu Suzuki

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Gavin McInnes - 6w5 sp/so (SLI-Te)

Anna Kendrick is very likely a 6 soc (Fi-EII)

Last edited by silke; 10-09-2017 at 06:38 AM.

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

John Lennon - syn-flow 6 integrating to 9 (Ne'Si)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes girl, yes. Expose their lies!!!

Niki Sky - 6w5

(I used to believe most of these. NOT ANYMORE HUHHHH!)

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“The world is so contradicting. It tells us to be creative, and then lays down rules to keep us the same. It is against judgment, and then tells us to trust no one. It tells us happiness is out there, but won't tell us where. It encourages us to be all we can be, so that we can take advantage of each other. It tells us to learn from experience, and then puts us in boxes so we don't hurt ourselves.”
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Healthy 6

Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sixes... always testing us...

....they're right

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Sixes... always testing us...

....they're right
    weak, you have to slightly nudge the headphones while you pretend to swipe your hair away from your face so that you actually listen perfectly clearly despite all appearances of obscured hearing

not that I've ever done that
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast