Thread: Work and play

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Work and play

Do j types find it difficult to balance work and play?

Do p types find it easy to balance work and play?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that j types either play a lot or work a lot, but are unable to interchange between the two easily.

However, p types can interchange between work and play easily. They can "switch off" from work easily.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You may have a point. I'm an INTj and find that although it can be hard to motivate myself to do something I don't really want to do, once I get going, I feel compelled to carry it into completion. I also find I will get into a zone and want to keep going. I can work on a task for a long period of time without stopping if needed. I also don't appreciate interruptions while I'm working. If I stop working for too long, it can then be difficult to gain momentum again.

Contrary to many other J's I know, I often find myself getting assignments done at the last minute because when I could have been working on the assignment I chose to do something more interesting instead. Once I get going on something of interest, its hard to pull myself away from it.

Laura INTj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats exactly like me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian
    You may have a point. I'm an INTj and find that although it can be hard to motivate myself to do something I don't really want to do, once I get going, I feel compelled to carry it into completion. I also find I will get into a zone and want to keep going. I can work on a task for a long period of time without stopping if needed. I also don't appreciate interruptions while I'm working. If I stop working for too long, it can then be difficult to gain momentum again.

Contrary to many other J's I know, I often find myself getting assignments done at the last minute because when I could have been working on the assignment I chose to do something more interesting instead. Once I get going on something of interest, its hard to pull myself away from it.

Laura INTj
    Yes, me too. I think it's called "that inconstant intuitive fire." I work in spurts, then rest and blow things off. Once I'm into it, though, I'm into it!
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think Tjs need someone to pull them away from their work every once in a while or it becomes obsessive. By work I mean any active interest they currently have.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blaze: Do p types (such as yourself) find it easy or difficult to balance work and play? Can p types interchange between work and play easily. Can they "switch off" from work easily?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can switch from work to play immediately. Thats a problem sometimes. If Im in a very destracting environment I cant get anything done unless I really force myself. When it comes to work I like to have a mixture of Ps and Js in my environment.

Topaz

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes, Topaz, that's me exactly.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    Blaze: Do p types (such as yourself) find it easy or difficult to balance work and play? Can p types interchange between work and play easily. Can they "switch off" from work easily?
    I can balance it easily, but my work tends to blend with my personal life - my husband and I work for the same agency, the students I teach at the university end up getting jobs at my agency. There's all kinds of bleed-through.

The one thing about human services work is that once the initial razzle dazzle wears off, work is the last thing you want to think about at home!
    Entp
    ILE

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    I can switch from work to play immediately. Thats a problem sometimes. If Im in a very destracting environment I cant get anything done unless I really force myself. When it comes to work I like to have a mixture of Ps and Js in my environment.
    But can you switch from play to work easily?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But can you switch from play to work easily?
    Thats a good question. If the answer were definitely yes that would be great but it depends on how good a time Im having.
    Usually when working with Js I try to figure out their limit for shenanegans, and I usually do that by going past it. When I can see they are getting upset then I become more serious. Its very tough working with ESTJs and ISTJs cause it doesnt take much before they vocally let you know to get back to work (that is if they are your boss).
    To do bad work for me is very shamefull. I take pride in doing a very good job. In part because I like to strive for excellence (maybe not in spelling ) but in most everything and also because I love to please others and have praise :wink: .

Topaz

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kinda in the extremes... All work, no play... All play, no work It's "on/off". I usually can't relax/play if I've got something to do. So, I'll try and do it as quickly as possible, and early, so I can relax without thinking "darn I have to do this thing...". I like getting work done quickly and early so it's out of my mind.
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I find it easy just not to work. Hows that? :wink:

In all honestly though... If I AM doing school work.... it's gonna be late, the day before its due, there's gonna be music on in the background, and I'm going to be daydreaming a bit inbetween every question.