Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long did it take you to figure out your Enneagram type?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty much immediately. That is, when I really started paying attention to it. I had glossed over it out of curiosity before, and almost always got enneagram 4 in test results. With tri-type, it took me a while because I wasn't sure on my head fix. Now that I know, it's very clear but at the time vague tritype descriptions didn't help lol. Instincts took me about a year because I automatically discounted SX first because they were supposed to 1) aggressive 2) very attractive and attract people without even trying and 3) exude sex and charm. It was some oddly romanticized version of the type that I to this day do not connect with, but the descriptions had plenty of Fe in it. And with 4's focus on authenticity, I was automatically put off by the "fakeness" if you will, of that.

Then about a year later another SX 4 I had been speaking with pointed out what had been my obvious primary instinct or "neurosis" all along.

this is very redundant, but gosh yes, this is exactly how I felt when I read those sex sex sex SX descriptions:

"deal with or describe in an idealized or unrealistic fashion; make (something) seem better or more appealing than it really is."

People do not realize how miserable or ugly this can actually be. At least what I have read on online forums. I feel more drawn to reality as it actually is/ "authentic."

It is easy for the primary instinct to backfire, turn "ugly" so to speak, because of the emphasis and value put on it to succeed.
    Last edited by necrosebud; 01-19-2021 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know some ppl with obvious types. their 9 or 4 or 8 is just caricature-like.

I still don't get what my type is.

I've had a lot of maybes over the years: 5w6, 1w2, 6w7, 7w6, 3....I dunno.

I keep getting typed as sx/so.

That stacking, along with high stress jobs/life prolly makes my type difficult to pick out.

All the descriptions Gulenko, Aushra, et al. have for ENTjs include the aspects I was seeing as indicative of certain plausible enneatypes for me, so I don't know anymore.

I know I'm not as 9 as my ex, not as 8 as my friends, and not as 4 as my family member.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still haven't figured out my tritype but figuring out my main type didn't take very long, was a matter of deciding between 6w5 and 1w9 and 6w5 was clearly it. Considered 5w6 and 9w1 shortly but those aren't me at all so very short considerations. With instincts, my being sp first is a no brainer, never had to even think about it. Now whether I'm sp/sx or sp/so took years to figure out but at this point I'm pretty certain it's sp/sx

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quickly; what others notice here is uniform

Banned
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp684 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LemurianLo View Post
    Now whether I'm sp/sx or sp/so took years to figure out but at this point I'm pretty certain it's sp/sx
    I'm trying to figure out the same. How did you do?

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lkdhf qkb View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the same. How did you do?
    Don't have anything helpful to say about it, I just kept reviewing my interactions and motivations with others and it increasingly became clearer that I lean more towards spsx over spso.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sort of like the cartoon version of SLE’s is gas-station robber and rapist.
    lmao. How is it so cartoony though when it has a lot of realism to it?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post

lmao. How is it so cartoony though when it has a lot of realism to it?

It does have some realism to it, but it's not their most common mode of operation. I don't think that any of the SLE's on the forum are robbing gas stations at gunpoint.

On the other hand, we haven't heard from @niffer recently. She might be a one-woman crime wave across the Pacific Rim for all we know.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well @Adam Strange - I don't think it really applies to female SLEs. I think niffer might be LIE anyway, I always thought that. Or she's just kinda LIE-ish for a SLE.

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was instantaneous but also took years at the same time. What I mean by this, is that I immediately felt a strange connection to type 7 right off the bat, even when I was severely depressed at my time of discovering enneagram and looked nothing like the standard 7 should. But I read up on a few of the other types more and overthinked it like I normally do. I am still aware of the possibility that I might not actually be a 7 after all so I try not to put too much emphasis on it. Other types I have tried on were 5w6 (yes lol), 4w5, 4w3, 3w4, 9w8, 6w7, 2w3... that probably covers it. Some of those I clung on to more than others and as you can see there was a lot of heart triad identification in particular, which you would not expect from a 7. If I look back at my childhood, though, my biggest nuisance in life was the feeling of boredom that I often fell victim to. And it wasn’t just your everyday boredom, it was sheer emptiness and pain at its worst and it always controlled me. I was a sociable kid who was utterly hooked on anything that would take away that feeling, and I was always looking to have fun. I’m clearly a more complex person at this stage in my life, but none of those things about me ever changed.

What I AM 100% confident in is my Sx/So stacking: there is no doubt lurking there. I have reached the conclusion that enneagram really starts to work its magic when you stop taking it so seriously.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flames View Post
    It was instantaneous but also took years at the same time. What I mean by this, is that I immediately felt a strange connection to type 7 right off the bat, even when I was severely depressed at my time of discovering enneagram and looked nothing like the standard 7 should. But I read up on a few of the other types more and overthinked it like I normally do. I am still aware of the possibility that I might not actually be a 7 after all so I try not to put too much emphasis on it. Other types I have tried on were 5w6 (yes lol), 4w5, 4w3, 3w4, 9w8, 6w7, 2w3... that probably covers it. Some of those I clung on to more than others and as you can see there was a lot of heart triad identification in particular, which you would not expect from a 7. If I look back at my childhood, though, my biggest nuisance in life was the feeling of boredom that I often fell victim to. And it wasn’t just your everyday boredom, it was sheer emptiness and pain at its worst and it always controlled me. I was a sociable kid who was utterly hooked on anything that would take away that feeling, and I was always looking to have fun. I’m clearly a more complex person at this stage in my life, but none of those things about me ever changed.

What I AM 100% confident in is my Sx/So stacking: there is no doubt lurking there. I have reached the conclusion that enneagram really starts to work its magic when you stop taking it so seriously.
    yeah ur not a 7

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    yeah ur not a 7
    I don’t think anything really fits me 100% for that matter.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@flames thinking you could be a 3w4 imo
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    @flames thinking you could be a 3w4 imo
    Oh, what makes you think so? I can buy it for sure. I would just have to be a very unsuccessful one. (But there have been times in my life where I was adequately successful, I guess)

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, what makes you think so? I can buy it for sure. I would just have to be a very unsuccessful one. (But there have been times in my life where I was adequately successful, I guess)
    lol well do you relate more to seven here in this comparison 7 vs 3 https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/m...ifying-3-and-7

it sounds like they can look similar at certain levels
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yeah ur speshul

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    yeah ur speshul
    lol no, I hate the whole special snowflake caricature (a lot of 4s can suck my dick). When I said that I was more speaking from my realization that my type might be less clear than someone else’s due to my circumstances and mental illness, etc. I’m not unique in this aspect.

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol well do you relate more to seven here in this comparison 7 vs 3 https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/m...ifying-3-and-7

it sounds like they can look similar at certain levels
    I’ve seen this before. Truth be told, I relate to pieces of both enough that I could argue either way. I don’t find it necessary to solve it right now but I may return to the subject later.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve seen this before. Truth be told, I relate to pieces of both enough that I could argue either way. I don’t find it necessary to solve it right now but I may return to the subject later.
    lol it’s all good. I understand. I figured you’d prob seen it before.. I just asked because you do seem to care about your image that seems more image tried thing, from what you said. and you seem more extroverted, and 4’s are generally more introverted. 3 is the more extroverted type.

The thing about feeling negative emotion vs wanting to escape is, at one point, if you want to live, you have to distract yourself. Because once you start dwelling in that negative emotion and it keeps pulling you down and down, it can seem like there is only one way out, and it’s not pretty. I’ve been there several times and if you don’t want to self destruct and keep living you have to learn coping mechanisms. You have to read a book to escape or watch a funny movie or do something fun with friends. Because if you stay home dwelling in the dark place, well... let’s not go there. this is kind of why I think I’m not a 9. I’m not afraid of my emotions and tend to embrace the negative ones. But I know if I want to live, I have to stop and one point. And I’ve learned ways of pulling me out of it, which seems 9’ish, I guess. Tbh, I didn’t think I’d make it to my 30’s in my teens. I thought I’d end up OD’ing in my early 20’s. I wasn’t on a good path. My husband is really the only reason I’m not dead. Because he told me when I was being a dumbass and playing with Fire to my face, in not a pretty way, but not to the point where I felt terribly restricted, so I ended up stopping on my own. Many 4’s commit suicide. Were they looking at a way out from their negative emotion because they couldn’t take it anymore? Does that make them not a 4?

anyway, whenever you want to talk about it, I’ll be here
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

My husband is really the only reason I’m not dead.
    To stay you alive contributed anything what was useful or pleasant, including done by many people.

Where people with who you communicate the most, for example as your pair and others in a family, affect strongly on your emotional state. When you feel good or bad - those people are among main reasons, and how we deal with them. Main part of life's pleasure and suffering goes from relations and actions with other people. It's doubtful to feel happy when you do not perceive yourself as loved and loving, as humans psyche is collective. And the most pain we remember from events with people, not from physical traumas or diseases.

When you long feel good or bad emotional state - people near you affected on this much, including the husband. By what they did and did not. It's also your pair's duty so you'd feel good, including emotionally. With other people near you'd could to feel significantly differently - better or worse.
    When you choose a pair with a small attention to mutual personal sympathy - it's hard to feel emotionally good in such relations, as you are among personally alien people who do not give what you want the most. It's useless to try compensate this by material things and by mental distractions. It can be compensated in communications with other people which are more appropriate for you, or somehow to change your relations with those who are near already closer to friendship relations - when you have more what you do together and like how you do that.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Sol I know you are trying to ‘help’ but I don’t think you understand my situation. you don’t know the details of my life, and if I told you, you’d probably ignore them anyway and insist your theory is right. I’ve been seeing a clinical therapist and a psychiatrist. your arm chair psychology isn’t really helping. it just feels like gas lighting.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    When I found out about tritype and the Head, Heart, Gut triads. Then it was easier to paint a more complete picture.
    Same.

I was initially typed as 9 by some people here who probably didn't know what they were doing. Then I did some in-person test at a socionics meet-up and got 5, which makes a lot more sense in general.

1 seems like a decent alternative but I prefer to think of it as a strong fix.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Are LIIs with ennea 9 even common?
    My opinion is that the alignment of Sociotypes and enneatypes is best in the LII e5 categories. Like, 99.44% overlap with no loose ends.

LIE's overlap with e3 and e8, ESE's are pretty much all e2, ILI's are e5 and e1, LSI's are mostly e5 but with some e9 and e6, and so on, but LII seems to be made for e5.

Incidentally, @one, this chart shows that female e5's typically marry male e1's, but I do know one LII-LII couple. Very well off, one is in computer science, the other is a chemist in the drug field, with a huge designer house, every toy you can imagine, and no kids.

https://www.9types.com/writeup/ennea...ationships.php

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

impossible

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading a book (I no longer remember) that explained each enneatype and their motivations and how they contrast with each other, along with anecdotes and stories about the different types, I realized I didn't have the 5 core motivation, even though 5 made superficial sense. I did have the 9 core motivation, even though it's not really a cool thing to identify with.

To paraphrase what I remember about the book:
    Basically 5 was described as a kind of metaphorical child with overbearing parents that gave the child everything they wanted, except space and freedom. So a 5 kind of seeks an independence not out of fear of being weak and defenseless or out of some kind of fear of being deprived or anything like that, but to be able to do their own thing. They want independence.
    9 was described as someone having a natural oversensitivity to things. They will feel negative and positive experiences with greater magnitudes, rather than something more balanced. Creates a fear of being overwhelmed and a person that will use things like entertainment, drugs, alcohol, dissociation, etc. as a form of escape. And schizoid and avoidant personality "disorders" were mentioned here as well.

So with that said, I do believe I am LII and 9 and see this more as an Si problem personally.
    But the problem with this not being "common" seems to be a problem with typology communities in general and probably is a lot more common than realized. For some reason a lot of self-described "T"s like to correlate their shitty behavior as T or seem to think that if someone is a bit sensitive, they can't be T either. It's just simply not true though, no matter how easy it might be to think that makes sense, even if it does make a lot of sense for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm probably not the right person to ask but it seems so. Theoretically 5 fits the 4D TiNi but 9 can fit any type with high priority on Si to an extent. Some say that LII 9s are actually more common than LII 5s, I don't know enough to comment on that.

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol it’s all good. I understand. I figured you’d prob seen it before.. I just asked because you do seem to care about your image that seems more image tried thing, from what you said. and you seem more extroverted, and 4’s are generally more introverted. 3 is the more extroverted type.

The thing about feeling negative emotion vs wanting to escape is, at one point, if you want to live, you have to distract yourself. Because once you start dwelling in that negative emotion and it keeps pulling you down and down, it can seem like there is only one way out, and it’s not pretty. I’ve been there several times and if you don’t want to self destruct and keep living you have to learn coping mechanisms. You have to read a book to escape or watch a funny movie or do something fun with friends. Because if you stay home dwelling in the dark place, well... let’s not go there. this is kind of why I think I’m not a 9. I’m not afraid of my emotions and tend to embrace the negative ones. But I know if I want to live, I have to stop and one point. And I’ve learned ways of pulling me out of it, which seems 9’ish, I guess. Tbh, I didn’t think I’d make it to my 30’s in my teens. I thought I’d end up OD’ing in my early 20’s. I wasn’t on a good path. My husband is really the only reason I’m not dead. Because he told me when I was being a dumbass and playing with Fire to my face, in not a pretty way, but not to the point where I felt terribly restricted, so I ended up stopping on my own. Many 4’s commit suicide. Were they looking at a way out from their negative emotion because they couldn’t take it anymore? Does that make them not a 4?

anyway, whenever you want to talk about it, I’ll be here
    I agree that I am an extrovert or at least identify as one. Even when it is not always so obvious. You can ask one person how they perceive me and they would describe me as shy, distant and mysterious but you could ask the very next person and they would describe me as talkative, lively, dramatic. It all depends on what point of time they met me because my entire outward character changes all the time. But I simply cannot survive on my own. I need to be around people all the time or as much as possible - I don’t just feel this way, I quite literally live it. I was rarely caught home except for some nights of sleeping there and mornings spent being properly fed but those were more like attempts to show I’m still alive and having interest in being alive. What was I doing in all that time away from home? Hanging out with people. Engaging in outside activities. I am still human, I have times I need to recharge in isolation and react aggressively to its disruption, but my need for people is almost an incurable sickness.

I embrace negative emotions sometimes - I like to pull as much fun from them as I try to with everything else. Drama with other people is especially wickedly fulfilling. I have thrived off drama in my immature years. I like the futile apologies and reconciliations after the messes just as much. I like anything that will win love from others. I like anything that’s cosmically entertaining. I have wanted to kill myself. I know the single track mind in doomed scenarios. I have actually OD’d before.

Banned
    TIM
    EII-Ne 6w5 SP/SX 629
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ever mistyped to be 4w5 , coz i was emotional. But my motivation isn't be unique , my motivation is being safety like money , relationship , and safe place. I'm 6w7

TIM
    SLI 9w8 sp/so
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It didn't took me a lot of time actually, understainding my core fear and motivation was pretty easy. I'm a 9w8 sp/sx. I'm still not sure about my trytipe but I lean to 947.

TIM
    SLE-D 8w7 863 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One year. I can't say it was a hard and long path. but, I know the only bold reason for it's long time was my impatience. but finally I got the right answer. Struggle with it until you find yourself. when you do, you'll realize it. be alone in this path. get information from others but make decisions yourself. it's too dangerous to let people determine you. you're the only one which knows yourself.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of time

I don't watch my actions often and even if I did , I don't analyze the motives behind them enough

Yesterday I read more descriptions of subtypes + enneagrams with wings and rechecked my own self-typing , I came up with something completely different from what I thought

However, I want to read more

Edit : it's just a fix , yesterday I disintegrated again towards 1
    Last edited by Squirrel; 08-17-2022 at 06:43 AM.
    Souls know their way back home

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom types as an INFP 4, not sure she is on her wings. She's very curious and studious like 5, but also work hard and achievement based like 3.

She identifies as INFP due to self reflection and creativity with imagination and fiction.
    Raptor had to lose in 2006 to become Revan, important errands of knighthood and valor to walk with Pokemon and charm the melodies of sweet channels to lush frenzy galloping solo yet swiftly into the sunrise for maximum presents and signed in deluxe oceans of fast trading cards bazooka cascading rumba of love Force constellations restoring last battle cardinal plants actively swirling for juice and petals to wishes
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZidaneLugia View Post
    My mom types as an INFP 4, not sure she is on her wings. She's very curious and studious like 5, but also work hard and achievement based like 3.

She identifies as INFP due to self reflection and creativity with imagination and fiction.
    She can be with a balanced wing

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZidaneLugia View Post

Also , she can be 4w5 with 1 fix
    or 4w3 with 5 wing

I suggest you to read 4w3 and 4w5 descriptions or something like that
    This might help

https://typevolution.com/2017/12/02/...n-4w5-and-4w3/

Years, probably. I'm still open to the possibilities that I might be a different type than I thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 years.

I was very unhealthy when I discovered enneagram (like, really really unhealthy), and deluded myself for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by persimmonism View Post
    Ten minutes at age 14. Is that a good or bad thing? Someone is clearly far too self-obsessed LOL.

Instincts took a couple of days. Half a year for tritype. I started with 469 as they nicknamed it something like "the doubter." I would scroll through shitty Enneagram Tumblr textposts, and one day it just clicked that I'm 7, not 6, and then another day that I'm 1, not 9.
    It's probably easier to identify your type at a younger age. Your nature comes through more purely then.
    In my case, it's after I went through some very tough things in my 20s that I disintegrated, and went away from who I naturally was.

If an enneagram coach would have analysed me at 14, I think they would have discovered very quickly what I am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12