Thread: Personality traits correlations

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Personality traits correlations

To be added to periodically with assortments. (Others of course can post anything they find also).

I would ideally like to see correlations between the eight Jungian functions and measures such as the Big Five, IPIP, the enneagram etc., and also, correlations between relationship success/happiness/length etc. I have found very little - and nothing in regards exactly what I want. (It is known for example that extroversion, conscientiousness, and low neuroticism in the Big Five are correlated with successful relationships).

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The big five versus the big four: the relationship between the MyersBriggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and NEO-PI five factor model of personality: Adrian Furnham
    Person. indirid. Dif;r: Vol. 21, No. 2, 303-307, 1996

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE REVISED
    NEO-PERSONALITY INVENTORY AND THE
    MYERS-BRIGGS TYPE INDICATOR
    ADRIAN FURNHAM, JOANNA MOUTAFI AND JOHN CRUMP
    University College London, UK
    SOCIAL BEHAVIOR AND PERSONALITY, 2003, 31(6), 577-584

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

An empirical investigation of Jung’s psychological types and personality disorder features.

Correlations between each disorder at the 99% confidence level (with each MBTI scale in order of strength of correlation: the letters in brackets are the scales in MBTI "order"): after the semi-colon (if present) are correlations at the 95% confidence level.
    Antisocial: TPN (NTP)
    Avoidant: I
    Borderline: NP
    Dependent: I
    Histrionic: EF
    Obsessive-Compulsive: IJT (ITJ); IJTS (ISTJ)
    Paranoid: TI (IT)
    Passive-Aggressive: P; PIN (INP)
    Sadistic: TP; TPN (NTP)
    Self-Defeating: NI (IN)
    Schizoid: TI (IT)
    Schizotypal: ITNP (INTP)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Relationships Between Suicidal Behavior
    and Personality Types
    Sue Street, PhD, and Jeffrey D. Kromrey, PhD
    Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, Vol. 24(3), Fall 1994

Study participants were asked to respond on a 6-point scale according to the most extreme extent they had experienced suicidal ideation or actions: actual attempt (6), some planning (5), serious consideration (4), entertained thoughts (3), idle thinking (2), and never considered (1).

(The average score is in the "Mean" columns).

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Spiritual But Not Religious? Evidence for Two Independent Dispositions
    Gerard Saucier1 and Katarzyna Skrzypinska2
    1University of Oregon 2University of Gdansk, Poland
    Journal of Personality 74:5, October 2006

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Building Evidence of Validity: The Relation Between Work Values, Interests, Personality, and Personal Values
    Melanie E. Leuty and Jo-Ida C. Hansen
    Journal of Career Assessment 2013 21: 175 originally published online 16 November 2012

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The five-factor model of personality and Holland's RIASEC interest types
    F. De Fruyt, I. Mervielde
    Personality and Individual Differences
    Volume 23, Issue 1, July 1997, Pages 87–103

If:
    = (+)Extraversion, (+)Openness, (-)Conscientiousness
    = (-)Extraversion, (-)Agreeableness, (-)Conscientiousness
    = (+)Extraversion, (+)Agreeableness, (+)Conscientiousness
    = (-)Extraversion, (-)Openness, (-)Conscientiousness
    = (+)Extraversion, (-)Openness, (-)Conscientiousness
    = (-)Extraversion, (+)Agreeableness, (+)Conscientiousness
    = (+)Extraversion, (-)Agreeableness, (+)Conscientiousness
    = (-)Extraversion, (+)Openness, (-)Conscientiousness

then:

(You find a brief summary of the traits here: http://www.unifr.ch/ztd/HTS/inftest/...df2d1dc/hb.htm
    and a list of the assorted behaviours for each here: http://ipip.ori.org/newNEOKey.htm

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Type scores from the above chart (^), assuming that the primary function makes up up two-thirds of a person's Ego, and the secondary function makes up one-third. This basically tells you, for example, in the case of NeTi (ILE)...or perhaps "pseudo"-ILE, how it might theoretically score for each trait. Perhaps rather limited.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

(Holland Code correlations)

Thus a list of which codes fit each primary code best, in order
    (e.g. this might be useful if you know you favour a particular code)
    R: RICE (-A-S)
    I: IRCE (-A-S)
    A: ASE (-I-R-C)
    S: SAEC (-I-R)
    E: ECRSAI
    C: CERIS (-A)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Correlations of NEO-PI-R facet scores with Holland code scores

Correlations between Big Five traits and Holland codes.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Correspondence between five-factor and RIASEC models of personality.
    Schinka JA, Dye DA, Curtiss G.
    Journal of Personality Assessment
    1997 Apr;68(2):355-68.

Correlations between Holland codes and NEO-PI-R scales (Big Five)
    Correlations for men are in the top right of the diagram, and in the bottom left for women

.................................................. ...................

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Effect of Color on Personality Traits
    Lauren Hartsfield
    Robert Morris University
    http://www.drspeg.com/research/2008/...alitycolor.pdf (pdf link)

The subjects were asked to pick their most preferred color and their least preferred color of the four given. Blue was chosen as the most preferred color among both sexes. In the younger group the order from most preferred to least preferred was blue, red, green, then yellow. For the older group the order of color preference from most preferred to least preferred was blue, green, red, then yellow. Yellow was the least preferred color in both groups. In this study it shows that gender doesn’t make a difference in color preference. It was age that was the divider (Dittmar, 2001).

However, this study leaves a lot of room for changes for more consistent and accurate studies. Once again there was an uneven amount of male and female participants in the study which in turn begs to question whether or not the data collected is accurate or significant. The study did not represent a certain color or shade of the color so it was up to the participant to determine what they likes which leaves too much room for participant’s creativity. There was also an age gap from 44 to 52 years of age. The fact that there was not a consistent color or colors to choose from leaves room for error.

Lange and Rentfrow referenced a study done by Stone on Designing Effective Study Environments showing that the mood of workers tended to be much more positive when working in a blue environment rather than a red one. The arousal of the individual was much higher when working in the red environment so that when they were asked to do a more thrilling task the red color interfered with their performance. Lange and Rentfrow also referenced Luscher and Scott on their studies of Personality and their color test. Their findings found that introverted people, i.e. people with high internal arousal, preferred much cooler colors like blues and greens because they reduced their inner arousal. On the flip side, extroverts, i.e. people with low internal arousal, were drawn to warmer colors such as reds and oranges to increase their inner arousal. Lange and Rentfrow also state that readers read slower and comprehend less when reading in a red environment. This suggests that color effects cognitive arousal which in turn can effect, or even hinder, cognitive performance.

Looking at the Murray and Deabler’s study on mood-tones, their results indicated the association between mood and color. Their cross-regional study that corresponded with an earlier study by Wexner, proved that Americans across the board associate colors to moods, however, not always in the same way. The subjects were given a set list of words and a set of eight colors in the form of 8.5x11 inch pieces of paper, they were then asked to select the color that best represents the word in the word list. Both Wexner and Murray and Deabler’s studies had variations and differences, but they also had some definite similarities. Blue and green were consistent among both studies. The participants overwhelmingly related these two colors with the words Secure, Tender and Calm. These colors were also somewhat systematically not relevant to the word Defiant. Contrasting evidence showed that Red was most correlated with Defiant, Cheerful, Exciting, and Powerful and was by and large not associated with Secure, Tender, and Calm. Indicating that certain colors correspond with certain moods and those certain colors elicit the same strong emotional responses consistently among different groups of people.

Leon, Gillum, Gillum, and Gouze concentrated a portion of her research to looking at personality stability. Her longitudinal study obtained substantial evidence towards personality stability on an individual level. Using the MMPI, she gathered data 4 different times from the same 71 men over a 40 year period. The group of emotionally stable and physically healthy men was reported, in her study, to have a significant degree of personality stability over the 40 years span. The MMPI scores of the men’s tests were fairly consistent with some minor fluctuations, supporting that personality is stable over time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanna hook me up with a thread TL;DR?

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody tried to compare(correlate the categories between) the big5 and MMPI?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nondescript View Post
    Nobody tried to compare(correlate the categories between) the big5 and MMPI?
    I will have a look some time in the semi-distant future.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The objective of this study was to evaluate differences in college students’ dietary intake and quality in relation to their Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality preferences. Students from three large introductory nutrition classes and 26 other classes were recruited to participate. Students (n = 302) completed a scannable version of the food frequency portion of the National Cancer Institute's Health Habits and History Questionnaire (NCI-HHHQ) and the MBTI. Dietary intake was compared using an adapted version of the Diet Quality Index (DQI), a multidimensional indicator of quality, and the recommended servings from the Food Guide Pyramid. Differences were determined by grouping the students according to their personality preferences and applying analysis of variance. Students preferring Extraversion, Intuition, or Judgment had tendencies for better dietary habits. Although some differences existed between men and women, Extraverts, in general, in comparison to Introverts, had higher intakes of grain, fruit, and dairy servings, with an overall superior DQI and a lower percentage of kcalories from fat; however, they also had a higher percentage of kcalories from alcohol. Intuitive women, in comparison to Sensing, had a superior DQI, consumed more fruit servings and breakfasts per week, and had a lower percentage of kcalories from sweets. Women preferring Judgment, as compared to those preferring Perception, consumed a significantly lower percentage of kcalories from alcohol and more frequent breakfasts. Suggestions for future research and for improving nutrition education are made based upon the link between certain personality preferences and dietary quality.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...22318298703619

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

During the past decades, a number of studies have explored personality group differences in the Big Five personality traits among students in different academic majors. To date, though, this research has not been reviewed systematically. This was the aim of the present review. A systematic literature search identified twelve eligible studies yielding an aggregated sample size of 13,389. Eleven studies reported significant group differences in one or multiple Big Five personality traits. Consistent findings across studies were that students of arts/humanities and psychology scored high on Neuroticism and Openness; students of political sc. scored high on Openness; students of economics, law, political sc., and medicine scored high on Extraversion; students of medicine, psychology, arts/humanities, and sciences scored high on Agreeableness; and students of arts/humanities scored low on Conscientiousness. Effect sizes were calculated to estimate the magnitude of the personality group differences. These effect sizes were consistent across studies comparing similar pairs of academic majors. For all Big Five personality traits medium effect sizes were found frequently, and for Openness even large effect sizes were found regularly. The results from the present review indicate that substantial personality group differences across academic majors exist. Implications for research and practice are discussed.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...91886915300921

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I found the following in a text file on computer dated from about a month ago (I think I must have been intending on gathering more studies together, because two of these studies are small, and because there seemed to be quite a lot of variability when I was looking into it before. I am posting it nonetheless).

https://johnmeunier.wordpress.com/20...es-for-clergy/
    Top 3 personality types for clergy
    Roy Oswald and Otto Kroeger of the Alban Institute collected data about Myers-Briggs personality types for more than 1,300 clergy. The selection of clergy was not random, so may not be representative of the entire clergy population, but information is still interesting.

Of the 16 Myers-Briggs types, these three were the most frequent.
    ENFJ (16.1%)[...]
    ESFJ (12.4%)[...]
    ENFP (11.6%)[...]
    The two least common types are:
    ISTP (0.9%)[...]
    ESTP (0.3%)
    [quote]

https://link.springer.com/article/10...089-005-2588-8
    Psychological Types of Male Evangelical Missionary Personnel Training in England: A Role for Thinking Type Men?
    A sample of 92 male evangelical missionary personnel completed Form G (Anglicised) of the MBTI. The two predominant types among this group were ESTJ (24%) and ISTJ (15%). In the group as a whole there were clear preferences for extraversion over introversion, for sensing over intuition, for thinking over feeling, and for judging over perceiving.
    http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/50191/
    Psychological type profile of Roman Catholic priests : an empirical enquiry in the United States
    This study explores the psychological type profile of Roman Catholic priests serving in the United States, drawing on data provided by 55 priests who completed the Francis Psychological Type Scales. The data demonstrated clear preferences for introversion (67 %), sensing (64 %), and judging (91 %), and for a balance between thinking (49 %) and feeling (51 %). A very high proportion of priests reported preferences for ISTJ (27 %), compared with 16 % of men in the U.S. population. Implications of these findings are discussed for ministry in the Roman Catholic Church.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TL;DR: MBTI has no reliability nor accuracy.

In socionics I think they tend to be ENxp.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I somehow ended up on this reddit but can't remember how. People are all the same when it comes to defending their strongest belief systems... the irony doesn't escape me.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I doubt the majority of the people are typed correctly so they all have no reliability. I doubt that priests are mainly S too because S are more down to earth generally.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I somehow ended up on this reddit but can't remember how. People are all the same when it comes to defending their strongest belief systems... the irony doesn't escape me.

oh god...that is rather terrible.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Thalmayer, A. G., Saucier, G., & Eigenhuis, A. (2011, August 22). Comparative Validity of Brief to Medium-Length Big Five and Big Six Personality Questionnaires. Psychological Assessment. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1037/a0024165

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~gsaucier/comp_val.pdf (pdf link)

A general consensus on the Big Five model of personality attributes has been highly generative for the field of personality psychology. Many important psychological and life outcome correlates with Big Five trait dimensions have been established. But researchers must choose between multiple Big Five inventories when conducting a study and are faced with a variety of options as to inventory length. Furthermore, a 6-factor model has been proposed to extend and update the Big Five model, in part by adding a dimension of Honesty/Humility or Honesty/Propriety. In this study, 3 popular brief to medium-length Big Five measures (NEO Five Factor Inventory, Big Five Inventory [BFI], and International Personality Item Pool), and 3 six-factor measures (HEXACO Personality Inventory, Questionnaire Big Six Scales, and a 6-factor version of the BFI) were placed in competition to best predict important student life outcomes. The effect of test length was investigated by comparing brief versions of most measures (subsets of items) with original versions. Personality questionnaires were administered to undergraduate students (N  227). Participants’ college transcripts and student conduct records were obtained 6–9 months after data was collected. Six-factor inventories demonstrated better predictive ability for life outcomes than did some Big Five inventories. Additional behavioral observations made on participants, including their Facebook profiles and cell-phone text usage, were predicted similarly by Big Five and 6-factor measures. A brief version of the BFI performed surprisingly well; across inventory platforms, increasing test length had little effect on predictive validity. Comparative validity of the models and measures in terms of outcome prediction and parsimony is discussed.

Keywords: inventories, psychometrics, psychological assessment, test validity, five factor personality
    model

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to add Big Five - Enneagram correlation to this thread

b231dc79b6169f9dd62e3268f28e7699.jpg

TIM
    ILE ENTp-Ti
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that logicals are so disordered. Maybe because they are more logical with their disorder - I am ill so therefore I am doing ill things hehe. But seriously, it looks weird as ethicals were less likely to have personality disorders.

TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by falsehope View Post
    Interesting that logicals are so disordered. Maybe because they are more logical with their disorder - I am ill so therefore I am doing ill things hehe. But seriously, it looks weird as ethicals were less likely to have personality disorders.
    This surprised me, too. The only guess I have is that ethicals, being more in touch with their feelings, may be better at regulating them and keeping them healthy (on average).

Edit: although unfortunately this doesn't apply to me, since I'm dealing with depression. blegh.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

test was interesting @Subteigh

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dang you really need to work on forgiveness and patience.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lolita View Post
    dang you really need to work on forgiveness and patience.
    ._. lol.. no.. fuck shitty ppl.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    High scores in openness and also conscientiousness - Fi Ne ?
    It forms a new trait called "need for cognition" - I had a bunch of stuff written up about this at one point, but it might all be gone now. I think there was another facet possibly too involved in Need for Cognition, but the two most important ones were Openness and Conscientiousness. It's about wanting to challenge yourself cognitively, which requires the openness to look at stuff new to you and explore it, and the conscientiousness to follow through with learning it. Edit: Looked stuff up to refresh my memory, and Low Neuroticism is the other factor.

As an aside. Openness is not Ne. Ne is about potentials/possibilities, about seeing what isn't there yet, where openness can just as easily be about exploring what is. Also things like aesthetic appreciation fall into the realm of openness. Appreciation of art can lead to a score high in openness for example. Openness is exploration in any of multiple realms.
    Last edited by squark; 03-03-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    After giving it more thought, openness has more to do with temperament than IEs.
    Not sure what you mean, whether you're referring to IP/IJ/EP/EJ, or the temperament leanings of DCNH or something else? Anyway, here are the scales used to determine Openness:

Openness to Experience Domain

The Aesthetic Appreciation scale assesses one's enjoyment of beauty in art and in nature. Low scorers tend not to become absorbed in works of
    art or in natural wonders, whereas high scorers have a strong appreciation of various art forms and of natural wonders.

The Inquisitiveness scale assesses a tendency to seek information about, and experience with, the natural and human world. Low scorers have
    little curiosity about the natural or social sciences, whereas high scorers read widely and are interested in travel.

The Creativity scale assesses one's preference for innovation and experiment. Low scorers have little inclination for original thought, whereas high scorers actively seek new solutions to problems and express themselves in art.

The Unconventionality scale assesses a tendency to accept the unusual. Low scorers avoid eccentric or nonconforming persons, whereas high
    scorers are receptive to ideas that might seem strange or radical.
    Last edited by squark; 03-04-2021 at 01:52 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Saucier, G. and Goldberg, L.R., 1996. Evidence for the Big Five in analyses of familiar English personality adjectives. European journal of Personality, 10(1), pp.61-77.

Based on the correlations in the above paper, I made charts for each Global 5-SLOAN type (SimilarMinds.com) of which words best describe each type.

Firstly, the "calm" (non-neurotic) types:

And also, the "limbic" (neurotic) types:

Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 03-10-2022 at 08:45 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

(From the book Originals by Adam Grant)

Root-Bernstein, R., Allen, L., Beach, L., Bhadula, R., Fast, J., Hosey, C., Kremkow, B., Lapp, J., Lonc, K., Pawelec, K. and Podufaly, A., 2008. Arts foster scientific success: avocations of nobel, national academy, royal society, and sigma xi members. Journal of Psychology of Science and Technology, 1(2), pp.51-63. (direct link to pdf file)

"Our data confirm McClelland’s (1962 ) finding that physical
    scientists enjoyed music but avoided art, poetry, plays, and
    most other arts, while also validating Terman’s (1954 )
    report that scientists’ favorite arts-related avocation is
    photography. Nonscientists appear to enjoy writing
    poetry, performance arts, and visual arts to a significantly
    higher degree than the average scientist.
    Eminent scientists have a different profile of arts
    and crafts interests than do typical scientists. The typical
    Royal Society and National Academy of Sciences
    member was almost twice as likely to have crafts avo
    cations as the typical Sigma Xi member or the U.S.
    public. Nobel laureates were almost three times as
    likely to have arts and crafts avocations as Sigma Xi
    members and the U.S. public, and about 50% more
    likely to have such avocations than Royal Society or
    National Academy of Sciences members."

"A more detailed analysis of the incidence of specific
    avocations yields equally significant differences
    between the various groups. The results (Figure 2)
    demonstrate that Nobel laureates are at least as likely
    (and as much as a factor of 8 more likely) to be
    photographers than the average scientist; at least a factor
    of 2 (and as much as 18) more likely to be a practicing
    musician, composer, or conductor; at least a factor
    of 7 more likely to be a visual artist, sculptor, or
    printmaker; at least a factor of 7.5 more likely to be a
    craftsperson engaged in woodwork, mechanics, electronics,
    glassblowing, and so on; at least a factor of 12
    more likely to write poetry, short stories, plays, essays,
    novels, or popular books; and at least a factor of 22
    more likely to be an amateur actor, dancer, magician,
    or other performer. "
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 07-14-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These metrics are all wrong! Where is the measurement for their posture while seated? Frequency for their eyes to waver during a conversation? How do we know if their stools are loose or solid?

Socionics is lightyears ahead of all this pseudoscience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast