Quote Originally Posted by tejing View Post
This is probably important. I notice that in real-time text communication I can't really hold my full attention on the relationship because there just isn't enough there to work with, so I tend to try to switch back and forth between the conversation and my own internal world... it doesn't work very well; the rhythm of the communication is all wrong. If your friend is like me, then what you see as disinterest is probably more like "huhwhat? I was thinking about something else." (like this)

You might want to consider sticking to voice (where the rhythms work more naturally) and non-real-time text (where short-term rhythms don't really matter).
I second this.

I'd rather communicate over text if the focus of the conversation is NOT socialization for its own sake, such as schoolwork. In this scenario, I'm not necessarily communicating in real-time, so I have ample time to switch my focus to what the other person is bringing up.

I'd rather communicate over voice if I'm actually socializing with someone else for its own sake, because I have a hard time going back and forth over text in real time without getting distracted or disinterested. For me, this applies to any real-time communication scenario.