View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 41.57%
  • No

26 29.21%
  • I'm not sure.

13 14.61%
  • It doesn't matter

13 14.61%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Do you believe in God?

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking InterPrizeWes's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard XD001 View Post
    My home has always been pretty luxurious and decorated in Family bird nesting with charm and ceremony entertaining our Wishes and effects to be treated in sanctuary and bells of windows to the Soul giving light and hope to all stars in the sky of desire.

The 1 exception is that My sister who used to live here got too much safeguarding and presents of care without being so ecstatic about the life meteor shower of enactments of diary festival beams of radiant bliss augmenting its doorway to learning. I guess My sister is an esfp, which is not necessarily bad, but when being bossy, materialistic, unsophisticated, socially demanding, entirely appearance based and focused on how you act rather than how you feel, it's in desperate need of letting go of.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard XD001 View Post
    No, but she always cut Me off when I was talking about something intellectual. When I talk to her, she's very quiet. She was way too focused on school and everything about the control system. She also took attention away from Me, and was extremely easy to upset. Almost all of My Family gave into her episodes of greed. She even had a hateful attitude towards God, believing in science instead.

Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Mr. Mime = Mastermind
    The time is alway right to do what is right.
    Become who you are.
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Jesus endorses socionics, enneagram, etc...

He also suggests listening to yourself above others.
    That’s so IEI of you
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    long talk about God / beliefs / experience with churches
    You seem like a person that looks for the truth regarding your beliefs, and trusts their own thoughts. So you should overlook the peculiar beliefs of specific churches, or specific people regarding religion. These are only superstitious, confused interpretations of very ancient texts that have been translated through six different languages. For example, we know there is no concept of hell in the ancient hebrew bible. That isn't any reason to toss away all the vital concepts - like any belief in God - along with the superstitions. People are constantly confused, reasonable attitudes can't really be expected, but despite the confusion... people are still groping their way toward answers. For most of human history people couldn't even read, and there were no printing presses, but they were still able to connect with God.

"Most people I know who are Christian believe in god because they were taught to."
    There isn't an explanation for existence or a basis of right and wrong that isn't completely arbitrary without God. People that believe in God are clinging to the belief that there is something good and right which is true and not arbitrary. They're also clinging to the feeling they get from identifying with what they believe is good. Without that people would probably just be left with ambivalence and nihilism.

"
    I am not sure if I would call what I believe in "god". It is a universal multi-dimensional force of creation, for lack of a shorter term. I don't believe that force has any personal feelings or preferences in how creation evolves itself and has probably gone through many changes of forms even before there was what we now call the universe."
    If you ascribe a set of forms to God you're forced to accommodate contradictory forms. Contradiction can exist temporarily within certain limits but it is self resolving in the broader context. Any kind of form is a limit imposed onto God and has reduced God to something less, this introduces confusion and contradiction... God is undefined and beyond fathoming in the same way that reality is eternal and limitless. We can't control God. God is God, we are just a part of that. And we are just part of existence...

"Incidentally, I have never dreamt of the Christian god. I have however dreamt of the Christian Satan and demons on many occasions"

If you read the ancient hebrew bible even the concept of Satan bears almost no resemblance to the figure thought about today, it is much more like a force compelling us toward destruction. It's hard to deny that force exists...
    As far as dreams, there is something to be said about keeping one foot in the real world, slip too far into the dreamworld and you can miss your whole life / neglect everything around you. What if God wanted you to be connected to the living world around you? Would you exclude God from your awareness in favor of slipping back into the dreamworld?

You said some more interesting things about the shadow side and how you find redemption in it... coming to terms with the shadow amounts to the resolution of the shadow and some realization of the healthy form of the animal self. Admittedly this is something that alot of churches make difficult, sometimes impossible (though not all). But I wouldn't say in regular society you're any better off - at work you're completely smothered... even around your friends and family you're usually smothered. If you go and live up on a hill by yourself for the next 20 years... I don't think that's coming to terms with yourself either, it's just avoiding the issue and going off to die somewhere.
    So people need to be seen in whole, to accept one another and love one another in spite of that ugliness, but while not abandoning the ideal of a whole, redeemed self. I don't think you really can achieve true acceptance and love by abandoning the ideals because contradictions remain and are inherent.

It is worth asking why we fall asleep in the first place. What is that which smothers us, why does it? And what is it that we need to keep us alive that we are missing?
    To some degree self-repression is inescapable, animals living in modern society will always be repressing themselves just to function. But then if we have internal contradictions, which may be rooted in contradictory experience, part of the self is not able to fully express, we are forced to smother it... so one partial remedy would be to avoid doing things that put you into contradictory states, another would be to find an accepting environment willing to tolerate and reconcile the contradictions. Hence the idea of groups of people coming together based on shared beliefs. And while the implementation is not perfect I don't really see a better alternative... if you go up and live on a hill for 20 years you will probably just wind up insane.
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 01-23-2022 at 12:18 PM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mythology (religion) expresses deep psychological truths about existence. God and Hell are two polarities of the psyche. God can be said to be the progressive force that pulls the human being out of a pure natural existence. What this force ultimately is we don't know. Hell is a state were the destructive forces of the psyche have taken over (psychosis, addiction). Ultimately all is one, though. God transforms the individual so that (in the end) hell can do no harm no more because it has been integrated.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those believe in God seem to really need something to protect their soul, because if they won't, they will lost their way. And they also want to share it with other people, so they don't have to be alone.

Like Yuval Noah Harari said, Imagination is what really make mankind unite in a big scale. Races, gods, nations, and even ... companies. (ladder?!)

People want to have something to believe in, so their life would'n be so meaningless. It's doesn't even have to be a religion. Nationalism, or any kinds of philosophy could work.
    Last edited by Tarnished; 01-23-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Satan in the Hebrew bible was God's devil advocate. He worked for God, even in the Book of Job where he has a significant role. The Christian depiction of Satan is completely different from this - they depict Satan as an enemy of God.

Satan in the bible "only" killed ten people - all in the Book of Job - and after asking for God's permission. God by contrast is estimated to have killed about 25 million people in the bible alone.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Satan in the Hebrew bible was God's devil advocate. He worked for God, even in the Book of Job where he has a significant role. The Christian depiction of Satan is completely different from this - they depict Satan as an enemy of God.

Satan in the bible "only" killed ten people - all in the Book of Job - and after asking for God's permission. God by contrast is estimated to have killed about 25 million people in the bible alone.
    So, as Presidents, Jimmy Carter is the Devil and Donald Trump is God?

This sounds like it might explain a lot.

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post

A common enemy is a good tool to unite people though.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Well, yes, I do, OP. I can’t say that I am 100% affiliated with Christianity because there are many misalignments and misinterpretations. So, for now, I do believe in God and pray to him pretty often.
    So, I’ve been to many different churches all across the US. They all are different and different people go there.
    Despite all of this, I do believe in the unmoved mover, in someone who started our universe and looks after us from there.
    Last edited by SpencerWhite; 04-29-2022 at 12:02 PM.

TIM
    whatever
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the God whose name is simulation

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't believe that a deity exists. I'm not sure if one exists, I've seen no absolute proof either way. But I do go to church anyway and enjoy doing so. That's all I can say about it now.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

TIM
    Intuitive
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted no because I don't know what "God" is or why I'd believe in it. I do believe in an underlying principle of everything as strongly as I can believe anything though. But how to act in accordance to that principle is something you ultimately have to figure out on your own, though I'm sure some religious texts have some good ideas.

Banned
    TIM
    ILI-DC™
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came to the realization that I might be my own God once.

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking InterPrizeWes's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    I came to the realization that I might be my own God once.
    That we love our own soul as the harbinger and self electrocution of true imagination and expansion is always a key for another resolution.
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Mr. Mime = Mastermind
    The time is alway right to do what is right.
    Become who you are.
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea of being our own God is an interesting perspective. It's like finding strength and inspiration within ourselves to navigate life's challenges and pursue personal growth. Believing in our own potential and nurturing our souls is indeed a crucial aspect of self-improvement and expanding our horizons. It's empowering to recognize our own capabilities and tap into our imagination to shape our lives. By the way, I recently stumbled upon a website called First Church Love while browsing online. Here's the link: https://firstchurchlove.com. It explores various aspects of church and religion that might offer insights or perspectives on these deep existential questions.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed
    No, I don't believe that a deity exists. I'm not sure if one exists, I've seen no absolute proof either way. But I do go to church anyway and enjoy doing so. That's all I can say about it now.
    To say that God "exists" is to deny God.

TIM
    SCS: SLE
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pole View Post
    No. The idea of a bearded sky daddy watching me touch myself is ridiculous.
    Well, God isn't even a man, no assignment if you will.

TIM
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    To say that God "exists" is to deny God.
    What crack are you on?

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuoso
    What crack are you on?
    Existence is an attribute. You or I can exist right now, or have a heart attack and stop existing. The creator of existence can't "exist" or have any other attributes.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Existence is an attribute. You or I can exist right now, or have a heart attack and stop existing. The creator of existence can't "exist" or have any other attributes.
    attributes of god - Google Search

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
    What crack are you on?
    He's usually drunk at 5:00 in the morning on a Tuesday. Crack would probably be an improvement.

TIM
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    He's usually drunk at 5:00 in the morning on a Tuesday. Crack would probably be an improvement.
    I see

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yall learn this at AA meetings?
    Eat my ass

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm agnostic-atheist. There is no evidence of there being any god(s), nor evidence of nonexistence; thus, I believe it's a possibility. However, I also believe the religions available to us as human beings are false. Therefore, I believe it's impossible for us to know at this time. If there were specific instructions that were so important for us to follow, I think they'd have been made clear and beyond reason for doubt.

In other words, I believe the existence of god(s) is a possibility that is impossible for us to actually confirm or deny. That's why I put, "it doesn't matter."

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213