Thread: Bob Baldwin

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bob Baldwin

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTj?

<prepares to be chased down by a group of angry mobs>

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, ENTj is possible.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't type someone by a few pictures, this "VI" or whatever it's called is completely bogus. There are shortcuts around knowing a person in-depth, but pictures alone don't work.
    Mr. Crumbles
    INTJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark
    Thanks, ENTj is possible.
    It's just that he has this eery resemblance to my E(N)Tj father, in terms of facial expressions, except he's less ugly, less fat, and better dressed.

(Kind of mean thing to say about my own father, but even he scares himself sometimes)
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrumbles
    You can't type someone by a few pictures, this "VI" or whatever it's called is completely bogus. There are shortcuts around knowing a person in-depth, but pictures alone don't work.
    Yo, thanks, I didn't know that. :wink:

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raisonpure
    It's just that he has this eery resemblance to my E(N)Tj father, in terms of facial expressions, except he's less ugly, less fat, and better dressed.

(Kind of mean thing to say about my own father, but even he scares himself sometimes)
    Hahaha...

This guy's a musician and his music definitely lacks a little attention to detail, sound clarity and production quality which could be related to Si PoLR, and which is why I think ENTj is possible.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VI this guy please

Hey Winterpark, you listen to Bob Baldwin too? I thought I was the only one lol. I saw him in the city for free at the South Street Seaport a few years ago along with Marion Meadows and you're right, I think the emphasis is more on the overall sound and the mood the music creates. That's also a defining quality of the overall Smooth Jazz genre in general. I listen to it for exactly that reason. I can kinda get deep and dreamy over the sultry harmonies and icing on the cake melodies. I also enjoy playing that stuff on keys and sax because of the way the grooves blend with the smooth sophistication. I particularly like his take on "People Make the World Go Round", "Summer Breeze", "Funkin for Jamaica" "Good Morning Love" (which actually stemmed from the local smooth jazz station's old jingle) and "The Way She Looked at Me". What other artists in that genre are you into?

As for Bob, I'd say definitely an N type - probably ENTj as others have said. When I heard him talk (both from the concert and from his website) he sounds fairly structured and he's good at leading bands and keeping everything together (so it seemed) (Te perhaps).

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VI this guy please

Quote Originally Posted by steve6
    Hey Winterpark, you listen to Bob Baldwin too? I thought I was the only one lol. I saw him in the city for free at the South Street Seaport a few years ago along with Marion Meadows and you're right, I think the emphasis is more on the overall sound and the mood the music creates. That's also a defining quality of the overall Smooth Jazz genre in general. I listen to it for exactly that reason.
    Yeah, the "mood" is definitely a key point in smooth jazz and it's also the main reason I listen to it. But quality production with attention to detail can also have a big effect on the mood sometimes and increase my appreciation towards the artist. Bob is not really bad in that aspect, don't get me wrong, but his earlier recordings are a little "muddy", which I don't really mind cause his music is always rich and uplifting.

I also enjoy playing that stuff on keys and sax because of the way the grooves blend with the smooth sophistication.
    Hey I play the keys, too.

I particularly like his take on "People Make the World Go Round", "Summer Breeze", "Funkin for Jamaica" "Good Morning Love" (which actually stemmed from the local smooth jazz station's old jingle) and "The Way She Looked at Me". What other artists in that genre are you into?
    Yeah, "People Make the World Go Round" and "Summer Breeze" are excellent (except for my production remarks ), and I haven't listened to the other two. "Standind Tall" is my favorite album and I particularily like "Stand Tall" and "Let's Fly Away". The production is much better here, too. I listen to a lot of smooth jazz artists; Brian Culbertson, Norman Brown, Chuck Loeb, Will Downing, Joyce Cooling...

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a black guy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    Is that a black guy?

Interesting thread. I think I'll look around for his music now. Thanks, Winterpark.
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENFp?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a black guy?

Interesting thread. I think I'll look around for his music now. Thanks, Winterpark.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Winterpark, you listen to Bob Baldwin too? I thought I was the only one lol. I saw him in the city for free at the South Street Seaport a few years ago along with Marion Meadows and you're right, I think the emphasis is more on the overall sound and the mood the music creates. That's also a defining quality of the overall Smooth Jazz genre in general. I listen to it for exactly that reason.
    Yeah, the "mood" is definitely a key point in smooth jazz and it's also the main reason I listen to it. But quality production with attention to detail can also have a big effect on the mood sometimes and increase my appreciation towards the artist. Bob is not really bad in that aspect, don't get me wrong, but his earlier recordings are a little "muddy", which I don't really mind cause his music is always rich and uplifting.

I also enjoy playing that stuff on keys and sax because of the way the grooves blend with the smooth sophistication.
    Hey I play the keys, too.

I particularly like his take on "People Make the World Go Round", "Summer Breeze", "Funkin for Jamaica" "Good Morning Love" (which actually stemmed from the local smooth jazz station's old jingle) and "The Way She Looked at Me". What other artists in that genre are you into?
    Yeah, "People Make the World Go Round" and "Summer Breeze" are excellent (except for my production remarks ), and I haven't listened to the other two. "Standind Tall" is my favorite album and I particularily like "Stand Tall" and "Let's Fly Away". The production is much better here, too. I listen to a lot of smooth jazz artists; Brian Culbertson, Norman Brown, Chuck Loeb, Will Downing, Joyce Cooling...
    Yep I'm right there with you on those other artists as well. Will Downing did an excellent version of "Daydreaming" and I enjoy his work with Gerald Albright ("Stop, Look, Listen to Your Heart"). I love David Sanborn, Boney James, Kirk Whalum, Gerald Albright, Steve Cole, Najee and George Howard on sax to name a few. All have influenced me in forming my sound on Alto & Soprano sax. Also Alex Bugnon and David Benoit do some cool stuff on keys. And Pieces of a Dream blends more of the R&Bish feel into the music. (I could go on lol). But anyway I agree "Standing Tall" (2002 I think) was a little crisper in the production sound.

You mention how the mood is key with Smooth Jazz and I agree, especially since a lot of it stems from an R&B influence which emphasizes soul and mood expression. I wonder if any particular function (maybe not) or maybe perhaps a mentality or life experience would cause a person to appreciate the smooth stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a black guy?

i love people taking the high road on the internet

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was browsing the net for new releases and I stumbled upon "Pieces of a dream"s new album - "Pillow Talk". Man, that's some great music... the guy on the keys is playin it bad. Mentioning Gerald Albright, you reminded me of "Pleasures Of the Night". What a great album! Rare stuff...

You mention how the mood is key with Smooth Jazz and I agree, especially since a lot of it stems from an R&B influence which emphasizes soul and mood expression. I wonder if any particular function (maybe not) or maybe perhaps a mentality or life experience would cause a person to appreciate the smooth stuff.
    Hm... I don't know. I was thinking maybe Si, Ne... but then there's Bob who we typed ENTj LOL... I guess any type can appreciate it but for different reasons and in differrent ways... Most of the guys I know who are into jazz(and I really don't know many, lol) find it hard to appreciate the smooth stuff. They just don't see the beauty of it :wink: ... It would be interesting if we manage to associate this thing with psychology somehow.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrumbles
    Thanks for another piece of "I-have-no-clue-about-socionics" wisdom, MrCrumbles. Here I was thinking that the guy's baldness and sunglasses meant that he was unquestionably an INFj.

*end of sarcasm*

Now, seriously, most people here are perfectly aware of the limitations of Visual Identification, especially by pictures, and above all by one single picture. We also know that it can be a useful tool if you understand it.

If you want to understand a bit about it, you could start here:

http://socionics.us/practice/visual_...fication.shtml
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was browsing the net for new releases and I stumbled upon "Pieces of a dream"s new album - "Pillow Talk". Man, that's some great music... the guy on the keys is playin it bad. Mentioning Gerald Albright, you reminded me of "Pleasures Of the Night". What a great album! Rare stuff...

Hm... I don't know. I was thinking maybe Si, Ne... but then there's Bob who we typed ENTj LOL... I guess any type can appreciate it but for different reasons and in differrent ways... Most of the guys I know who are into jazz(and I really don't know many, lol) find it hard to appreciate the smooth stuff. They just don't see the beauty of it :wink: ... It would be interesting if we manage to associate this thing with psychology somehow.
    Yeah James Lloyd is great on keys. He brings more of that gospel flavor into the music. That new "Pillow Talk" album is pretty hot, especially those songs "Forward Emotion", and "Wake up Call". I also liked that song "Night Vision" from their other album "Acquainted with the Night" among others.

Some jazz guys I know also find it hard to appreciate the smooth stuff. They seem to think it's too polished or this and that, but I can appreciate both. I enjoy playing straight ahead jazz and listen to a good amount, but there's something I can relate to with the Smooth stuff. I also listen to some R&B like Luther Vandross, Sade, George Benson, James Ingram, Patti Labelle, Michael McDonald, Will Downing, Anita Baker, Stevie Wonder, etc.

I don't know why but there's something about the richness of the chords and the rhythms which are usually deeper (as compared to straight ahead where there's mostly a swing or a walk and the groove doesn't "dig into the ground" if you will), that invokes reflection and sometimes expresses things that I wouldn't explicitly express otherwise. Especially on the more seductive songs I can relate to the passion and the soul and don't normally express those things outside of music, which is another reason I enjoy actually playing the music on my instruments.

Which just made me realize something else lol. When somebody plays music, people don't usually judge the way the person plays as an indicator of how they act, think, and relate to people in other contexts. I think music brings out something unconscious and something that we don't use in other situations. Maybe my desire for such soulful lines and deep grooves is my attempt to satisfy my Fe hidden agenda and wrap it around my dreamy thinking when listening. (I'm putting out Ne and Ti and getting back Fe and perhaps Si) (Si perhaps because of the way the melodies build on one another and take the song from one place to another over time.).

I think a reason some jazz "purists" have a problem with smooth jazz because some of them are very cerebral and academic. Traditional jazz is very much about being precise and theoretical and even more dissonant. Smooth Jazz invokes more of a "go with the flow" attitude which I think some of them have a problem with.