Thread: Synesthesia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Synesthesia

So my sister, Oyburger, said that a lot of you have synesthesia...the involuntary joining in which the real information of one sense is accompanied by a perception in another sense. I.e. tasting colors, seeing sounds, hearing smells...etc.
    My sister and I both see sounds, and see words (letters and numbers)...
    To me, A is red, B is blue, C is pink, D is brown...and so forth...

What does everyone else's synesthesia do? Just curious

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Synesthesia

Quote Originally Posted by your problem now
    I think mine does pretty much nothing Actually I have never even heard about that stuff. Except I think once there was a guy in tv who saw buildings as numbers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Synesthesia

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Quote Originally Posted by your problem now
    I think mine does pretty much nothing Actually I have never even heard about that stuff. Except I think once there was a guy in tv who saw buildings as numbers.
    That's weird...I'v never heard of that one...
    I was just discussing with someone...Math to me is blue-the word and the subject, and history is red. English is pink, Science is green...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have synesthesia, most likely because of my lack of imagination. You people are wierd.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    I can sort of hear colors, but that might be a direct consequence of the fact that I have perfect (absolute) pitch.
    Yeah, we can see music...esp. textures.
    Primus music is EXTREMELY textured music

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your color corelations are all wrong callie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    Your color corelations are all wrong callie
    no, i'm always right...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have no idea what these absurd correlations are based on

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking about actually seeing colors as in a color actually appears in front of your eyes as clear as looking at an actual color?

Because otherwise, I have (had) colors for words and numbers, but I don't see them.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Are you talking about actually seeing colors as in a color actually appears in front of your eyes as clear as looking at an actual color?

Because otherwise, I have (had) colors for words and numbers, but I don't see them.
    I see them, but some are stronger than others. For instance "R" will tinge a word brown because its such a brown letter. Some letters almost seem clear like "B".

What is strongest for me is 1-9. I used to talk about it all the time until my mother gave me a weird look and I realized that she didn't see it.
    She, however smells songs, which I think is weird.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... ????

this thread is making me shake my head

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see them, but some are stronger than others. For instance "R" will tinge a word brown because its such a brown letter. Some letters almost seem clear like "B".

What is strongest for me is 1-9. I used to talk about it all the time until my mother gave me a weird look and I realized that she didn't see it.
    I don't actually SEE the colors...but I can feel it. It's difficult to explain. It's like, when I think of the letter "B"...I think of blue. And if it's in the beginning of a word...most of the time, the colors mix and generally the first letter is predominant over the whole word-so the word would be a shade of blue.

The thing I love about mom's synesthesia is that the song smells bad...however she hasn't been able to smell since she was a preteen. 35-40ish years...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's almost like some of these people dont believe you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I sometimes wish i had this. It could be funky
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the clinical name for this is autism
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I believe the clinical name for this is autism
    synaesthesia != autism

You can read more about it in the link meatburger posted.
    NiTe | Socionix

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my post != statement of fact
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you = !(facts)

what is described here has NOTHING to do with autism.

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    you = !(facts)

what is described here has NOTHING to do with autism.

What I remember about this subject from looking at it like 6 years ago was that is was predominately anglo female from UK descent. Whereas Autism obviously does not share that strength.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a wire crossing issue. Aparrently all babies are born this way, but as the brain develops, the wires get uncrossed for most. The only correlation seems to be that its genetic and is predominant in women, but famous people like Jimmy Hendrix had it too.

At any rate, we don't realize that anything is different until we try to match up our experiences with other people and they give us looks like we're crazy. It in no way hinders normal life though I liked to blame my horrible math grades on the way the colors would get horrible mixed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feelings have colors for me. Actually I described it all here:

http://the16types.no-ip.info/forums/...pic.php?t=5479

At any rate, we don't realize that anything is different until we try to match up our experiences with other people and they give us looks like we're crazy. It in no way hinders normal life though I liked to blame my horrible math grades on the way the colors would get horrible mixed
    This is very true. “Got I feel white” “No that is obviously rectangular and gummy” and so on. I keep quiet because I don't want people to think I'm insane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca
    This is very true. “Got I feel white” “No that is obviously rectangular and gummy” and so on. I keep quiet because I don't want people to think I'm insane
    I don't usually tell anyone about a lot of my weird OCDs or phobias because people usually give me the weird look or do the things that bug me...i.e. scratching paper. Usually if I tell this to a guy, he'll scratch paper to see my reaction. But most people don't know that it'll make me vomit if I'm around it too much.
    'S usually why I keep my mouth shut

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me make sure I completely understand you. You mean to say that the sight of the letter "R" actually sends a signal from your brain to your eye that if a scientist were able to see the neurons in your retina in real-time, that along the neurons that fire the image of the letter "R" that there would also be neurons there that are firing the color brown?
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me make sure I completely understand you. You mean to say that the sight of the letter "R" actually sends a signal from your brain to your eye that if a scientist were able to see the neurons in your retina in real-time, that along the neurons that fire the image of the letter "R" that there would also be neurons there that are firing the color brown?
    she's not on anymore, but i'm sure she'd say yes...only because she thinks she knows everything...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton
    I can make voluntary synaesthetic-like sensory cross-connections between stimuli. When I was little, it was automatic... now I can only do it when I consciously will it. For example, different sounds have different tactile sensations to them for me, as well as different colors and visual patterns. Perceptions via different modalities can even have smells to them. And vice versa for all of that. My emotions are often best expressed to me through metaphorical imagery. Also, around 4-5, I would get a lot of intense imagery associations when I heard even the simplest of words. Like "hour" was an evergreen bush at night, "stupid" was a bowl of soup spilling, "nerd" was a pig on a teeter-totter. Bizarre stuff.
    That's interesting...I'm sure I was that way when I was little, I was rather odd. Mine's not quite that intense now...but mine probably did something along those lines when I was younger.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cone-yes

Callie-Shut up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i cannot wait until we can make and break these associations at will

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when we can i will fill my life with weird little music as in the movie punch drunk love

http://damienfree.fr.free.fr/videos/eat_tomorrow_(punch_drunk_love_excerpt).mov

(for some reason it won't linkify. you have to copy/paste the whole url)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that movie comes to mind when i think of synesthesia. i, a non-synesthete, can only hope that that is what synesthesia is like.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes an unidentifiable stimuli will trigger music in my head. Its never music I've ever heard, bu tits always pleasent. If only I could figure out what that stimuli was

Some people can recreate synesthesia in the form of acid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's precisely why we can't take acid...we'll be fucked forever

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a very mild form of synesthesia. I didn't know it was called that. When my senses mix it's not always the same each time. A isn't always red, B isn't always brown, etc. Sometimes it stays the same over a period of time (right now, 5 is a light sparkly blue), but it's not really predictable. Music is the strongest stimulant.

It's also easy for me to voluntarily mix sense perception.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    I don't have synesthesia, most likely because of my lack of imagination. You people are wierd.
    just to Reiterate.