Thread: Siddhartha and 1984

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Siddhartha and 1984

So, school starts tomorrow and here I am stalling from writing a personality sketch on the main characters of the two books.

I'm guessing that Siddhartha is INFp, only because of his search for enlightenment, but it doesn't seem totally right...

As for Winston, I'm completely clueless. What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a long time since I've read those. I'd agree that there's something about the book Siddhartha. Somehow, though, the character himself doesn't seem well-formed in the Socionics sense...That is, from my recollection, I get the sense that the character is maybe a combination of a few different types...maybe a projection of certain types Hesse admired.

In fiction, I think sometimes characters are very typable, because some authors think in terms of typology concepts...But Siddhartha's a hard one. For example, in the beginning, he seems somehow too "perfect," too much of a know-it-all to be an INFp. But his quest overall does seem to be the dream of many INFps.

As for 1984, I also get an feeling from the book. And again, I see the Winston character as someone who maybe isn't completely formed in a typology sense. I think George Orwell was purposely trying to use a somewhat unsophisticated character to help him make his points. If I had to guess...well, maybe Winston is a little bit a reflection of the author who I think is INTp, and is also intended to be a little more practical-focused (S) than the author is, so maybe sort of ISTp.

Keep in mind though that, as I said, it's been a long time since I read those books. As to 1984, when I read it I was thinking about what might actually happen in 1984...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Siddhartha was either INFp or ENFj, I incline towards ENFj.

I agree with Jonathan about Winston Smith, he's not really a fully developed character to be typed.

But somehow he strikes me as a quiet Delta, so ISTp or INFj.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric
    Winston Smiths girlfriend strongly strikes me as an ISTp who Winston in his meetings with her shrugs off all the practical things on her. Making me believe Winston is either a INFj or ENFp.

Also I don't think Orwell is a INTp, the in the book was a backdrop for a overwhelming amount of , far more than a INTp would add.
    Well, althought it's been a long time, I sure don't remember any ENFp vibes from Winston.

On a larger note, all N types (both and ) may have a tendency to try to delegate practical things to someone else, especially if they're with an S type. In fact, S types sometimes delegate practical things to others (even to N types) as well, but for different reasons.

Also, I don't think we should assume Winston and his girlfriend were Socionics duals.

As to the "overwhelming amount of " and the idea that INTps wouldn't express those....please explain.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'd have to read it again. A lot of Socionists think Jung was INTp, so at least they think that an INTp could be up on psychology.

But a lot of other writers I like have been typed as delta NF, so maybe Orwell was too. If so, I'd pick INFj, and if I had to choose between ENFp and INFj for Winston, I'd also have to go with the more introverted option....although your analysis makes me think all the more that his character doesn't really have a clearly formed type.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)