Thread: Questions for IEIs-INFps

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Questions for IEIs-INFps

I can't really decide whether I'm INTp or INFp and so I want to ask some questions of INFps to see if they can relate to any of this.

1. Do you generally feel unemotional and "balanced" on the inside until something happens externally to trigger an emotional response from you? Would most people describe you as being somewhat robotic, disinterested, withdrawn, or are you seen as having a soul, warm, etc.?

2. Can you think of ways to easily differentiate yourself from INTp?

3. Do you tend to see yourself as being more logical than emotional? Are you ever in a situation where you're surprised to see that you perhaps aren't as logical as you believe you are?

4. Would you say you tend to be drawn to the "darkside" of things?

5. Anything else you have to add

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) I'm not robotic but I am very withdrawn around people I don't know. Around people I know well I can fluctuate from being chill to impassioned depending on the topic of conversation or the activity we're involved in. I tend to be pretty bad at hiding my emotions but can put on a good poker face if need be. I'm more approachable than I'd like to be because strangers talk to me on the bus and train when I just want to be left alone lol.

2) I would say go by the PoLR; Te and Fe PoLR are worlds apart. Others often point out when I'm doing something in the least efficient way possible, but I don't care and keep doing it in the way that works for me. I'm also terrible with my finances.

3) I see myself about equally split between logic and ethics. I'd guess it has to do with being an Ni subtype. My focus is on perceiving information through first and filtering it through later.

4) Yes, very much so. I hate when things are light and fluffy for too long; it gets irritating and boring, and I either will actively start to change the mood of the conversation to something more intense or will zone out.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

tmi
    Last edited by Aylen; 08-17-2015 at 06:15 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncivilized View Post
    I can't really decide whether I'm INTp or INFp and so I want to ask some questions of INFps to see if they can relate to any of this.

1. Do you generally feel unemotional and "balanced" on the inside until something happens externally to trigger an emotional response from you? Would most people describe you as being somewhat robotic, disinterested, withdrawn, or are you seen as having a soul, warm, etc.?
    I think there was a time when I would have described myself as unemotional and balanced on the inside. I'm an Fe subtype, which to me just means that I've been in a lot of situations in which how I made others feel was as important (to me) as what I thought. But Ni in and over itself can be extremely dispassionate, disinterested (not uninterested, but not feeling any particular way about who wins or what outcome happens), even sort indifferent to the morals of the situation. So yes, if I were a more Ni-subtype and if I still believed that Dispassionate Cognition Is The Road To Truth, then I could see how I might describe myself both as "balanced til something happens" and as "robotic, disinterested, withdrawn). As it is though, I am generally seen as a pretty warm person. It is something that I "turn on" rather than something that is innately true.

INTps are, I think, turned off by shows of gushy and dramatic emotionality, whereas I enjoy it within reason. Basically, if you're capable of hanging out with a group of performers under the age of 25 without feeling uncomfortable or feeling disoriented or detaching, IEI > ILI is a decent bet.

I mean basically test your Fe vs. Te. Are you more turned off by external or physical or paperwork-y things that seem to have no inherent meaning or interaction with interesting ideas? Or are you more turned off by loud, dramatic people whose actions and reactions seem to have no inherent meaning or interaction with interesting ideas? I find that Ni is bored unless it can see how x relates to y relates to z. And of course that boredom/irritation is exacerbated if what the IXI/INXp has to focus on is connected to the polr in some way.

3. Do you tend to see yourself as being more logical than emotional? Are you ever in a situation where you're surprised to see that you perhaps aren't as logical as you believe you are?
    Most people would probably say the former is true of me. Especially for IEI males or IEIs who derive personal pride from academic success, focusing on the Ni capacity for abstract thinking, and then applying it to the Fe realm of how humans influence each other's internal worlds indirectly, bears great dividends, much more than being that cute, fragile, lovely thing over there that constantly changes its mind and has no constancy but w/e it's endearing. I mean just about no one goes in for that anymore because infantilization is not so big right now (at least in the circles I run in). As for the second question: no, I don't think so because I think my expectations of myself are pretty accurate, lol. I know that I'm going to react with mild panic when I have to go from inactive to active quickly, that i will be irrationally paralyzed sometimes when I should be eager and active, that I will react emotionally to certain kinds of criticism, etc.

I mean, I wouldn't say that but I guess it's true, especially, again, when I was younger. But I would say "turbulent" more than dark. I'm very attracted to sublimity (or was), which doesn't have to be dark per se. I think that insofar as it is type related, IEIs are attracted to the "dark side" insofar as without a bit of unpredictable activity, there are no interesting hard-to-predict patterns to analyze, and therefore nothing for Ni to do.

5. Anything else you have to add
    If you're a guy or if you have generally been someone praised for intellect rather than affect, and you're questioning if you're IEI or ILI, good chance you're the former. Life circumstances make you tend to push the more intellectual detached side to the forefront and push the demonstratively emotional side to the back, especially if you haven't spent a significant amount of time participating in some kind of group artistic endeavor.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

INTps: Deeply feeling, but not keen on emotional expression, becomes expressive with difficulty, monotonal, does not enjoy being touched or consoled by others, feels awkward using smilies, feels hugs and handshakes aren't necessary in most situations, does not like to be manipulated through emotion/persuasion, feels awkward around boisterous people
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the responses, gave me a lot to think about. What TJay says seems to fit me well in that I'm not emotionally demonstrative and don't fit well with people who seem over the top with their enthusiasm. However, I would describe myself as deeply feeling in a hidden manner. I think I kept thinking I was an F type because of my whimsical side, but that probably has more to do with Ni. I won't discount INFp being a possibility still, but I think I'm probably INTp.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask for Them to provide a specific example of a point their making. IEI will flounder a bit and choose to give a generalization type of answer. ILI wont struggle to get into specifics.
    But yeah, darker material appeals to me. I am viewed as warm even to people that have said I appear detached emotionally. Robotic is absolutely ILI > IEI.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncivilized View Post
    Love the responses, gave me a lot to think about. What TJay says seems to fit me well in that I'm not emotionally demonstrative and don't fit well with people who seem over the top with their enthusiasm. However, I would describe myself as deeply feeling in a hidden manner. I think I kept thinking I was an F type because of my whimsical side, but that probably has more to do with Ni. I won't discount INFp being a possibility still, but I think I'm probably INTp.
    Deeply feeling in a hidden manner works well with Ixtp. Ts have strong emotions, they just dont have as much control or cunning navigating them. Intp doubly so with Fi hidden agenda.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PistolShrimp View Post
    1) I'm more approachable than I'd like to be because strangers talk to me on the bus and train when I just want to be left alone lol.
    Thank you FB for finally giving me the solution to this problem. I thought to of you when I saw it.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never feel balanced on the inside, I'm always on edge and extremely self conscious. I do tend to act somewhat withdrawn and robotic, especially when I'm in an uncomfortable situation where I haven't been made to feel welcome. I like to be sure of where I stand and know what to do in unfamiliar situations.

Umm I think they are probably less ditzy than me but maybe that's stereotypical. When I'm excited I come off a lot more emphatic than I would imagine an INTp to; I also would imagine that they would be the types to laugh at me and assume me to be stupid, bc some people have in the past.

3. Do you tend to see yourself as being more logical than emotional? Are you ever in a situation where you're surprised to see that you perhaps aren't as logical as you believe you are? I tend to be quite logical in my inner analyses of things because I overthink everything and if I don't understand why somebody did what they did I get mad (if it's negative). But I am also pretty impulsive and that's an emotion thing.

Yes constantly and I have been for as long as I can remember. In 4th grade I was fascinated by witchcraft and bought a book about it. I love horror movies, reading about the occult, esoterica, and anything creepy or not well known.