Thread: Tahliah Debrett Barnett (FKA Twigs)

Default Tahliah Debrett Barnett (FKA Twigs)

Just stumbled upon her the other day.

[
    Wikipedia] [Youtube] [Pictures] [Interview]
    Textures apply to everything I do. Even within my music, I like smooth things, and then hard and fluffy things, all giving them their place to shine.
    Being beautiful isn't everything... Sometimes it's interesting to show how you feel on the inside on the outside, just through expressing yourself.
    I'm appealing to people who want something different, but the world, on the whole, doesn't really embrace different things. Not on the whole.
    I don't know if I'm a tortured soul, but I was born heartbroken. I remember feeling it when I was so young. I was like, 'Mum, it hurts.'
    Vulnerability is the strongest state to be in. How boring would it be if we were constantly dominant or constantly submissive?
    I was never the pretty girl at school. I'm tiny and mixed-race. I grew up in a white area. I was always the loner.
    If you're an artist, you have to use everything to your advantage, even the pain.

Last edited by Moonbeaux Rainfox; 03-28-2016 at 09:57 PM.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any ethical type really going solely off her personal philosophies.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CREEPY.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

she looks like a friend I had back in teens - I'd guess sp/sx 9w1, not sure of her socionics type

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh, i really like her. aesthetically and thematically (love loss sex pain emptiness fullfilment martyrdom and victimization (and the power and magic in all that, in being in tune with feelings and vulnerability)), for me, she sort of harkens back to prince and how he was when he arrived on the music scene. for that reason, i'm inclined to say 4/3 and some IxFx Se valuing type; IEI works for me in any case because i'm getting an Fe vibe.

Last edited by phizzog; 07-20-2015 at 09:59 AM.

TIM
    ESI 6w7
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

bump

TIM
    EII-Fi, 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI-Ni: Tahliah Barnett

Last edited by toska; 08-11-2021 at 10:29 PM.
    Typing
    Gallery
    | Sedecology
    Network
    Tumblr
    Assessment (Beta)
    Socionics | Instinct

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she looks very similar to Janelle Monáe in my opinion, who is also an IEI.

my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

mb SEI

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both of those women are ESIs.

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by toska View Post
    She's pretty clear victim type. I can see why you would VI her ESI though.

"...being goofy and making light of things that are quite serious are a way of me processing trauma."

Sorry dude, you're in my wheelhouse now--ESI-Se enneagram 4w3s are my lifeblood. Lol Not only have I dated them, almost exclusively, my entire life, but the industries I frequently work in are saturated with them. Suffice to say, I know one when I see one and moreover I happen to be a big fan of Twigs.

So, where is it "clear" that she is a victim type, exactly?

1.) On that accord, Gamma victims and aggressors don't manifest in precisely the same ways as Betas. Gamma NTs see ourselves as independent, willful, and single minded, forms of "strength" in and of themselves, and so we're not trying to be utterly conquered, led or play support in the rear; we want someone with the power to stand up to us/stand their ground, and potentially beat us, but who is more interested in being our equal/standing by our side. We prefer more indirect, "softer" power grabs like this >

"I know that sometimes you wish I'd go
    Away, away
    I know that sometimes you wish I'd go
    Away, away
    But I wish that you would know that I'm here
    To stay, to stay
    Just nod your head and get up
    I'm not gon let you give up babe"

^Co-written by Twigs and called "Give Up," FFS. Lol And that was off the top of my head. In the song "Two Weeks," the main thesis is that it will only take her two weeks to fuck/seduce away the memory of her love interest's previous lover. Lol That's the type of Gamma aggressor tactics that appeal to Gamma NTs. I love that shit.

2.) It's not uncommon to confuse one's hidden agenda/mobilizing function for their lead function. And Twigs is an enneagram 4. IME, ESI 4s are dreamier and more "out there" than other types of ESI, which I think is probably related to accentuated (which speaks more to attention/focus than it does ability to differentiate) intuition. There are a subset of *SIs who are over indulgent/confident with their Ni, which is typical for the mobilizing function (used wrecklessly or not at all). In reference to the quote you highlighted, I believe that she's speaking to Ni related themes and metaphors undergirding her expression of "goofiness" in a Se physical, corporeal sense--Ni is "background music" sublimated to her usage of Se, which she uses powerfully to speak to Fi related traumas.

As a high D Ni user, I'm keenly in tune with the abstracted meaning behind images, themes or signs I creatively employ; I can't imagine being an artist and having a stage name that wasn't inherently imbued with Ni meaning. OTOH, Twigs was given that name during her stint as a background dancer because of how her bones cracked while dancing and according to her, the FKA "doesn’t stand for anything. It's just capital letters." I had wrongly assumed it meant "formerly known as," which might serve as an acknowledgement of her humble beginnings while signaling that she was now something else, something "more," perhaps. But she didn't care to make such a connection. Lol

3.) Lastly, I think people don't fully grasp the limitations of 1D Se, whether valued or not. Twigs started out as a dancer, a back up dancer at that--any professional dancer worth their salt has 3-4D Se, and usually but not always, valued Se. Excellent coordination, kinesthetic awareness, control over weight and balance in motion, awareness of space, a developed sense of rhythm, a strong ability to learn, mimic and retain movements when being taught, all of which point to high D Se and Si. Is it possible to be a good, professional level dancer with 1D Se? Sure, but I deal in likelihoods, not wild possibilities, and it simply isn't likely.

I know my duals. Lol

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3.) Lastly, I think people don't fully grasp the limitations of 1D Se, whether valued or not. Twigs started out as a dancer, a back up dancer at that--any professional dancer worth their salt has 3-4D Se, and usually but not always, valued Se. Excellent coordination, kinesthetic awareness, control over weight and balance in motion, awareness of space, a developed sense of rhythm, a strong ability to learn, mimic and retain movements when being taught, all of which point to high D Se and Si. Is it possible to be a good, professional level dancer with 1D Se? Sure, but I deal in likelihoods, not wild possibilities, and it simply isn't likely.

I know my duals. Lol
    Beta types have an exceptional control over their body, like every Se valuing type. in Gulenko's description, IEI makes graceful, aesthetic movements that are pleasing to the eye. here's a video of grimes dancing (starts @0:40). she is also an IEI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9SGYBHY0qs

she also has similar facial features.

maxresdefault.jpg

I also disagree with your typing of Janelle Monáe. I have been listening to her music for a long time now. Her album The ArchAndroid shows a clear preference for Intuition, and a lot of her songs have beta themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1xaya28by4

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@toska I think you may be right, afterall, and I am SHOOK. Lol I found a recent interview of hers (where she was being interviewed by another IEI and was vibing seamlessly) and she talked in-depth about her process and it all became clear > she begins with an overarching vision of what she wants to do, does a fuck ton of Ni perfectionist preparation and by the time she performs, the audience is receiving years of hard work applied well VS. someone learning something within 3 weeks time and flawlessly executing it, which is more typical of high D Se and Si. And, theoretically, 1D functions grow by way of experience and if she's been practicing ballet since 8 years old, then she could arrive at a certain level of competence even she isn't more naturally "gifted"/predisposed.

I also asked a SEE ballerina friend of mine what she thinks of her and the SEE was overall impressed but could spot Se related flaws (wonky gait, etc...) in her execution; but she said that her body/limb proportions grant her decent facility, which means that she can pull off certain movements and look elegant, even if they aren't flawlessly executed, which I agreed with upon closer inspection--this is why I'm somewhat critical towards low D Se assessments concerning Se (including my own). Lol Mine may often be more accurate than someone who is Se PoLR but I damn sure don't come close to a Se lead--I can still miss things.And though some IEIs look remarkably similar to ESIs, when I fine tooth combed Twigs with my IEI VI templates, IEI was a slightly better match.

Aside from a fidelity to informational accuracy, I also point this out to distinguish myself from Sol. Lol When Te receives new information, especially data that is empirical in nature and secondarily fits within an adequate enough Ti framework, it adjusts its assessments accordingly.
    @soundofconfusion I also think that you are correct in this instance. But you typed Bernie Sanders as IEI--that's an unforgivable mistype. Lol I can't see past that. Rethink that typing. We're all allowed to make mistakes but the type and degree of mistake matters, imo--typing someone so inaccurately can make your other typings highly suspect.

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo View Post
    Aside from a fidelity to informational accuracy, I also point this out to distinguish myself from Sol. Lol When Te receives new information, especially data that is empirical in nature and secondarily fits within an adequate enough Ti framework, it adjusts its assessments accordingly.
    @soundofconfusion I also think that you are correct in this instance. But you typed Bernie Sanders as IEI--that's an unforgivable mistype. Lol I can't see past that. Rethink that typing. We're all allowed to make mistakes but the type and degree of mistake matters, imo--typing someone so inaccurately can make your other typings highly suspect.
    I will look into Bernie Sanders again, but probably next year, since I will be very busy for the rest of this year. I've typed him a long time ago, so I don't remember him that well, maybe I will read more about him during the presidential election, or remove him from my gallery if he doesn't play an important role. in a theory like socionics, you can't always get an exact impression of a type through their behaviour depending on what you see or read about them, so of course I occasionally rely on my intuition to fill in the blanks if I feel confident enough, and there will always be mistakes, it happens. I appreciate your opinion Alonzo, and I wish there would be more postings like yours on this site.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she is ESI, enneagram 9, maybe sx/so. She does seem a little IEI in some interviews but I don’t think she is. I absolutely adore her to pieces..

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FKA Twigs is IEI and victim AF
    Janelle Monae is Beta irrational and aristocratic AF
    Grimes is not Beta

ESI R&B artists are like Lauryn Hill or Ashley Stevenson. ESI don't have to posture with aggressor rhetoric and body language like Beta NFs.

Play any FKA twigs performance or interview back to back against the first 5 seconds of anything by Ashley Stevenson and victim vs aggressor should jump out immediately.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashley there is not ESI. She does not lead with Fi. ^

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tahliah Debrett Barnett - Hamlet

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hard to tell- she does seem more IEI in some vids..hm yeah maybe! What a lovely IEI role model if she is.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought she was an SEI. But IEI makes a lot of sense as well.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".