Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beta Types and Compulsive/Mushy/Lovey-Dovey Affection

I've noticed this tendency in myself to really want to show affection in a way that puts a lot of people off - like, being hyper-aware of my need to hug someone, or put my arm around them, or possibly even lend them a kiss. I'm not as good with sharing warm feelings by talking - it's never enough to say "I love you." You have to say "I love you" a hundred times, while wrapping yourself around the person you love, in between an endless succession of kissing and petting and laughing and laying my head down on them. Trouble is, to most people, this is pure mush. With the less explicit shows of affection (arm around shoulder, etc.) it's at least an invasion of personal space, and/or just plain innapropriate and "weird."

This gets awkward when with someone in another Quadra. They're not as touchy-feely, and so I either have to tone it way down, or else make them feel dirty. Very dirty. (Teehee! )
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This made me laugh because it reminded me of my husband when we first met. I eventually had to tell him to lay off.
    My sister still does this to me when the mood strikes her.
    Its just hard for others to understand lol.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, my apologies on behalf of Beta. It's especially hard to get out of a tussle with an ESTp (and without at least a few bruises/scrapes/hickies).
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISFps are the same way, though they are sensative about who touches them.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm... is this rooted from a lack of confidence or something else?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably rooted in being Fp. Probably EFps, as they can be more outgoing. But ISFps can seem like E types sometime, too, and of course there's INFps like this one here.

!!!! I thought I edited that out the first time !!!
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    lol, my apologies on behalf of Beta. It's especially hard to get out of a tussle with an ESTp (and without at least a few bruises/scrapes/hickies).

Shocking but true lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    This made me laugh because it reminded me of my husband when we first met. I eventually had to tell him to lay off.
    So true! lol. ouchies.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I like it, so keep doing it.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I knew this INFp girl in my theatre class who would squeeze me tight in her arms whenever we said goodbye after class was over. She would be really shy, distant from me, then suddenly jump up and hug me as we said goodbye.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad is like this and I think it's annoying. But kids eat it up. My daughter, my niece, and my nephew radiate toward him and love all the hugs and kisses.

With adults - not so great. But kids adore all that attention.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maizemedley
    For example, if my brother comes to visit, and I'm feeling down and out, I stay away from him because I cannot imagine that he would want to spend any of his time next to someone who is sulking. When my spirits are up, I am freer to go up to him and punch him and smile at him and sit up close to him.
    I've noticed this in ISFP too.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall

Anyway... don’t worry about the way you show that you care for someone Baby.

A healthy & happy INFp is an affectionate INFp.

<3

I agree with maize on this. I think the Ni/Fe combination tends to make me prone to second-guessing people, and I get this vague expectation that people will forever remain at a safe distance from me. When someone pulls in and bridges the gap, I can freely express my appreciation. I can't do this if the person remains aloof.

Oddly enough, I tend to remain aloof until I get the greenlight from the person I'm dealing with, so...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes. EMS (English Major Syndrome). I know a friend in linguistics who basically told me not to worry about grammar and such and so forth in non-formal communication, so long as you get your point across. It's going against the grain of the evolution of language! Contemporize, man!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this thread. Now, whenever someone displays their enthusiasm in that manner, I'll go "right... Beta." Before I sort of went "AAAAK!!" and jumped up the nearest lamppost. I'm a little tense, sometimes.

EDITED TO ADD: But when I see a couple who is being Beta, I don't mind a bit. I find it rather cute.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I can't hug someone unless I know they'll react to it well. Or... if it's just someone I don't care to hug, lol. I can't hug anyone in my family... even my parents.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's so weird to me because giving hugs is compulsory in my family and they're the only group of people in which I feel comfortable complying.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to give him a hug and he'll react in a similar way as Rocky--Is something wrong with you? =p

I was just about to say how I don't like hugging my family member either, oh well...

As for the thread topic, are you sure this is all Beta? Because... can't ENFPs be emotional and bubbly and kissy and huggy and so on and so forth and et cetera? And are ISTJs into that kind of stuff? It seems like the opposite, ehh...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by maizemedley
    For example, if my brother comes to visit, and I'm feeling down and out, I stay away from him because I cannot imagine that he would want to spend any of his time next to someone who is sulking. When my spirits are up, I am freer to go up to him and punch him and smile at him and sit up close to him.
    I've noticed this in ISFP too.
    yeah, so have i.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Try to give him a hug and he'll react in a similar way as Rocky--Is something wrong with you? =p

I was just about to say how I don't like hugging my family member either, oh well...

As for the thread topic, are you sure this is all Beta? Because... can't ENFPs be emotional and bubbly and kissy and huggy and so on and so forth and et cetera? And are ISTJs into that kind of stuff? It seems like the opposite, ehh...
    Well actually yeah, I have observed ENFps being uber bubbly with friends. But again, they're not so much into doing all that stuff with their bf/gf in public.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think my husband and I get particularly affectionate in public. We seem to specifically hold back from showing a lot of affection in front of other people. But I'm a bit touchy so there's some. Still, it's more like a casual touch than anything really intense.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here, but only if the "other people" are people we know. If we're in a city where we're sure no one knows us, we can go OTT. Often it's a bit of fun, though, like "oh, let's be one of those nauseating couples. Let's lovey-dove a little."

Plus, we've got a little daughter. You'd all be surprised how that can diminish the time that's available for hugging and kissing. She either feels annoyed because she wants to play with us, and here we are kissing, yuck... or she'll feel left out of the hug and elbow her way in. (Literally.)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Plus, we've got a little daughter. You'd all be surprised how that can diminish the time that's available for hugging and kissing. She either feels annoyed because she wants to play with us, and here we are kissing, yuck... or she'll feel left out of the hug and elbow her way in. (Literally.)
    LOL yep we've got that too! "I want hugs and kisses too! Let me in!!"
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. When I feel confident, I feel this urge to show my affection. I like to pat or like stroke my ESFJ friend sometimes but she'd give me this look and tell me not to do that again which makes me laugh. But only when I feel comfortable. I don't hug strangers nor do I like them to hug me or touch me in any way. I'm better at showing than telling how I feel toward a person.
    INFP

Creepy-aurora_faerie

I might have posted here, but I don't feel like looking back right now. I have something new to add.

I am really really affectionate towards boyfriends and all, but more often than not, my affection is sexually geared. For instance, it's hardly ever "Lalala" type-feeling geared. It's more like, "Grawr c'mere I love you sexy person!" geared. If I can't get that feeling with a lover, then they normally arn't right for me.

Yeah...I get the "Lala" feeling too occasionally