Thread: Game of Thrones TV/book series discussion

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Game of Thrones TV/book series discussion

discussion thread for the Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire series. for talking about the show/books, or posting links, pictures, videos, etc. related to the series.

GoT typings go here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...read.php/35880

Last edited by glam; 06-21-2015 at 10:06 PM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah I don't think its a stretch to say the sparrows are authoritarian thugs whose method of punishment is 10x worse than anything else.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

some really good analysis/theory videos that use info from both the books & show (shared with me by @krieger ) warning: major spoilers

Jon Snow's parents:

Littlefinger's scheming:

Who will save Westeros from the Others (White Walkers)?:

Last edited by glam; 06-22-2015 at 11:08 PM.

This is long and just a big ramble. I have watched bits of Season 1 and 2. Season 3 I have followed till episode 7 or so. Idk. I don’t remember anymore. I read some spoilers for this Season by accident. I’m not really up to date. I found some characters interesting. I don’t like violence just for some show effect. Hell, I don’t like any glorification of it at all. But idk the whole show portrays how power and violence affect people. It’s not too off, I guess. I mean it’s still fantastical and everything, but it’s also grim and bleak. E.g. Tywin who ordered the Death of Elia and her kids. How she got raped and she and her kids got killed in the most horrible way and how he probably thought it was necessary. If they survive, they would always pose a threat to his claim and his family. You raise to power and these are the choices.

I think the show is also about survival and who can survive. You just can’t carry around a lot of illusions when you are faced with these kind of choices. But it’s human to have illusions and for me the characters who felt the closest; or the most realistic had this human quality. They had hope. They hoped things, even when their situation pointed to a different outcome. Or they had ideals, they thought they knew what was right and what was wrong, but then life played a trick on them and they got into dangerous situations and then it was adapt and live - or die. They had to do things, that went against what they thought was right. Like when John had to kill Qhorin. He did it because he wanted to gain the wildlings trust, he thought it was his duty - protecting the realm. He had his ideals and he killed, because he thought it served a purpose. But in the end, the ones who think there might be purpose, a point in all this, are vulnerable. Like Sansa said 'it’s always the monsters who win in life'. Vulnerabilities can always be exploited. Illusions don‘t measure up to reality and ideals can lead them to make dumb decisions - ‚the road to hell is paved with good intentions‘.

I think a lot of things just got stripped away from them. Some tried to mindlessly survive, tried to escape the violence, and turned numb inside, because it all became normal, part of their everyday life. Others again were cold blooded enough, and could deliver the blow to others, so that no one had the upper hand over them. In the end, they all lost something, that they had before. Purpose, meaning or sth else. It’s quite like the price you pay for survival in GRRM world - it's kinda shitty.
    ‘As Faulkner says, all of us have the capacity in us for great good and for great evil, for love but also for hate. I wanted to write those kinds of complex character in a fantasy, and not just have all the good people get together to fight the bad guy’. 'I’ve always preferred writing about grey characters and human characters. Whether they are giants or elves or dwarves, or whatever they are, they’re still human, and the human heart is still in conflict with the self.’ - GRRM

Re. characters that I find interesting: Sansa (in the books). Yeah there is a part of me that roots for her and wishes that she is going to make it. Idk why. It’s just that she is this young girl and she is practically defenseless. But there is something in her. The monster comment; she understands that you can’t run around having a lot of illusions about the situation. Her development was just realistic for me, like how she turned... flexible so to speak. How she learned to deflect and act her part and she is still living, while harder, ‚tougher‘ types got killed. Like not survival of the toughest, but survival of the one who is best adapted.

But the opposite, like in Stannis, was also interesting. He, who would rather break than bend. So rigid and tense. Bet, if you could get him to sit on a piece of coal, you could retire early. He was that character who really didn’t wanted to compromise anything in himself and you can get these ideas that this might be a quality needed in a good king. But maybe that was also all before the thing with his daughter. The character that I didn’t like, because I found her development somewhat off, is Daenerys. I mean it’s like she and Tyrion are GRRM favourite kiddos and he got some illusions about these two. Like she says the right things, raises above all challenges and like she is written as the character, that is still somewhat ‚decent‘. The whole thing with her dragons is too deux ex machina for me. Her fierce Dragon ruler, mother of everything schtick is also doing nothing for me. She is to off. Like a fantasy, not a real person.
    Last edited by Moonbeaux Rainfox; 07-18-2015 at 07:02 PM.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The past is already written, the ink is dry.

Official teaser 2016.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something off about this season 6..it has a canned feeling to the scriptwriting.

The flashbacks add an interesting element although when TV shows start in with flashbacks it usually means the beginning of the end for the show. Fun to see young Ed Stark & Co.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    There is something off about this season 6..it has a canned feeling to the scriptwriting.

The flashbacks add an interesting element although when TV shows start in with flashbacks it usually means the beginning of the end for the show. Fun to see young Ed Stark & Co.
    i've felt like this new season has been pandering/teasing to the fan theories way too much.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    i've felt like this new season has been pandering/teasing to the fan theories way too much.
    yeah..cough cough jon snow cough.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yeah..cough cough jon snow cough.
    That was one sexy rising from the dead...
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    That was one sexy rising from the dead...
    his shape is just wow.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

And am I the only one who finds Daenerys' storyline utterly boring? And now even Tyrion is wasted on her useless storyline...
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And am I the only one who finds Daenerys' storyline utterly boring? And now even Tyrion is wasted on her useless storyline...
    I love her story line and her character arc.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked her up to the point that she chained up her dragons. Wtf!?!
    As 'Mother of Dragons', it's her responsibility to learn from her dragons how to best guide their natures for living in the world D lives in. I'm hoping Tyrion will start working with them. He could be the 'true' Father/Mentor of Dragons.

Daenerys keeps reminding me of a child playing at being an adult.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I liked her up to the point that she chained up her dragons. Wtf!?!
    As 'Mother of Dragons', it's her responsibility to learn from her dragons how to best guide their natures for living in the world D lives in. I'm hoping Tyrion will start working with them. He could be the 'true' Father/Mentor of Dragons.

That's because that's what she is. Most of the central characters are teens and pre-teens.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Exactly! I didn't dislike her at first (although I was always bored with her storyline), but now she is just annoying (and seems to constantly hold up her "mother of dragon" thing for status, not out of concern for the dragons). I have high hopes for Tyrion and the dragons, too. At least then it makes sense for him to be there...

@wacey, ikr re: shape. That shot of him sitting up is just too sexy for words...
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never realized how dark everything is. I can barely see anything unless I turn the brightness on my TV up because every scene seems to be in the dark.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    I never realized how dark everything is. I can barely see anything unless I turn the brightness on my TV up because every scene seems to be in the dark.
    yeah very true.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was happy to see D getting her mojo back. Great last sequence of 5/15 episode.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-bg

I was happy to see D getting her mojo back. Great last sequence of 5/15 episode.
    I like her storyline for those moments, she has the epic turn around moments of "oh fuck!" like tonight or when she took the unsullied. I quite liked the Sons of the Harpy attacks from last season too on the other end of spectrum. she herself though, yeah i agree with other people about her being boring personally.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I really love watching sansa grow and come into her own.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    I really love watching sansa grow and come into her own.
    Me too I loved her from the start and now she is this very complex and dynamic character, more-so then many others. She really does steal every scene she is in, you cant look away from her.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spoiler ahead.

Lest we forgot.

Attachment 7639

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Spoiler ahead.

Lest we forgot.

Attachment 7639
    Too soon....
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too soon....
    GOT is merging into the walking dead

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite Theory so far is the Arya becomes Batman and becomes the Hero Westeros deserves.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite Theory so far is the Arya becomes Batman and becomes the Hero Westeros deserves.
    Not the one it needs though.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold the door :'(

I was watching a couple of reaction videos to that scene and the obvious thinking types got me a bit upset because they were stuck at trying to understand how it all happened (with their stupid vacant faces). While I myself managed to understand right away and could go on to appreciating more squishy functions.
    Last edited by Tonatiuh; 05-26-2016 at 05:10 PM.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season 7

Jamie Lannister EIE
    Cersai Lannister LSI
    Daenerys Targaryen EIE ---> to big picture mission focused and organized for IEI.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Lyanna Mormont? Maybe LSI?
    <333

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much to go off for Lyanna Mormont except qualities tough and determined.

Olenna Tyrell SEE-Fi

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sansa Stark - ESE?

Her going on that quality control cruise through winterfell with her underlings, "that armour needs leather padding for the winter"...tipped me off. Fallen from grace ESE? Just wanted to be a magical princess turned jaded ice Queen?

Second hint: Bran tells her he is now three eyed raven and she was like "what does that even mean?!"

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I remember discojoe or someone arguing esi for Sansa and being kinda peeved because I didn't like her at first. But at some point it hooked into my brain and I can't really unsee it now, except maybe to consider eii. She seems a bit removed and introverted for ese imo. Maybe I'll look out for reasons to support this next time I watch, nothing is coming to mind offhand.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read all the books at the time, long ago, long before the show. I never did read the LAST book, when it finally came out, yes, bought it but never read it.

I liked the series when I first was reading it, but not as much as it went on .... then later, I watched part of an episode of the first season and hated it so much, I never tried to watch it from the beginning or any other part of it again and will not. I just didn't like how the show was, it wasn't what I read and imagined.

Song of Fire and Ice ... very nice in the 2000's. So yesterday trashy to me now. Not worth re-reading at all. I should sell my books. (I never sell books I love/loved.)
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

davos: LSI > SLI
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to cap off this thread by saying GoT series ended up as utter fucking garbage.
    Last edited by valhalla; 12-06-2019 at 07:21 PM.