Thread: What is the difference between 5w4 vs 5w6?

TIM
    ILI-INTp E5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is the difference between 5w4 vs 5w6?

I have readdifferent descriptions of 5w4 & 5w6, and I think 5w6 fits me muchmore except in two areas which seems more of 4 wing than 6:

1- The 4 search foridentity: I think this can apply to me but if the 4 is searching fortheir unique selves and try to express that, for me it is more ofsearching for something that is unique for me (a passion, area ofexpertise, purpose ...etc) if that make sense, actually I learntMBTI, socionics and enneagram as a part of this search

2- The darker taste:I have noticed that I usually like the dark side for example I likedark characters in movies, animes, games … etc. My little brother(another ILI E5) doesn't seem to care much about that.

So, what do youthink can cause this? And what is the best way to differentiatebetween the two wings?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Personally I would look further into the tritypes than the wings. I knew an ILI 135 who could be very "dark". His humor often bordered on the bizarre and morbid but after reading all the tritypes I don't think he had that many 4 traits prominent even though he was interested in artistic things (he was very creative) but it felt more like he analyzed and perfected his music and didn't really feel art, music, etc... at least he didn't feel in the way I would feel it. He was more robotic than that, yet had a lot of anxiety.

He was what I consider an exemplar for the intellectual and technological. He only started looking at his intuitive side more closely after meeting me. He pretty much took his "gifts" for granted and was clearly not in search of identity or close connection with others. I can't think of a time where I would have described him as "floaty" in any way. He was sort of repelled by people who wanted to get too close. Except for me.

I found this which sums it up pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

Originally Posted by lifexplore
    Fives

Five With a 4 Wing
    The difference between the 4 wing and the 6 wing in Fives is like the difference between Art and Science. 4 wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them. When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliché of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing. Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

Real-Life Fives With a 4 Wing: Laurie Anderson, Samuel Beckett, Paul Bowles, Tim Burton, David Byrne, Agatha Christie, Daniel Day-Lewis, T.S. Eliot, Albert Einstein, Jeremy Irons, Philip Kaufman, Gary Larson, George Lucas, David Lynch, Peter Matthiessen, Ian McEwan, Thelonious Monk, Georgia O'Keefe,

Movie Fives With a 4 Wing: Jeff Bridges, The Fabulous Baker Boys; Kerry Fox, An Angel At My Table; Glenda Jackson, Turtle Diary; Gena Rowlands, Another Woman; Dean Stockwell, Tucker - A Man And His Dream.

Five With a 6 Wing
    The 6 wing brings an orientation to detail and technical knowledge, along with the tendency to think in logical sequence. Especially intellectual, far more analytical than Fives with a 4 wing. Can be loyal friends, offering strong behind-the-scenes support. Kind, patient teachers, skillful experts. May have a sense of mission and work hard. Sometimes project an aura of sensitive nerdiness and have clumsy social skills. When defensive, they can be unnerved by the expectations of others. May like people more but avoid them more. Especially sensitive to social indebtedness. Could have trouble saying "thank you." Fear of taking action, develop "information addiction" instead. Ask lots of questions but don't get around to the decision at hand. When more entranced, they develop a suspicious scrutiny of other people's motives but can also be blind followers. Misanthropic and Scrooge-like when defensive. More able to keep their feelings cut off in a constant way. Can be cold, skeptical, ironic, and disassociated. A Five's 6 wing can be phobic or counterphobic. Counterphobic 6 wing brings courage and antiauthoritarian attitudes. When defensive they may mock authority, or angrily tell others off. Tend to "push the envelope," experiment, find what the limits are.

Real-Life Fives With a 6 Wing: Michael Crichton, Bobby Fischer (counterphobic), Jane Goodall, H.R. Haldeman, Arthur (The Amazing) Kreskin, John le Carré, Vladimir Lenin, Leonard Maltin, Sam Neill, Michelle Pfeiffer (counterphobic), Oliver Sacks, Ebenezer Scrooge, B. F. Skinner, George Stephanopoulos, Madeleine Stowe.

Movie Fives With a 6 Wing: Bernard Pierre Donnadieu, The Vanishing; Ben Kingsley, Turtle Diary; Peter O'Toole, Goodbye, Mr. Chips; Ally Sheedy, Only The Lonely; James Spader, sex, lies and videotape; Hugo Weaving ("Martin"), Proof; Robin Williams, Awakenings
    1- The 4 search foridentity: I think this can apply to me but if the 4 is searching fortheir unique selves and try to express that, for me it is more ofsearching for something that is unique for me (a passion, area ofexpertise, purpose ...etc) if that make sense, actually I learntMBTI, socionics and enneagram as a part of this search
    He was also like the bolded part. He was always in search of a new passion to perfect and once he had drained the experience out of it he would move on to something else. I have never met anyone able to gain so much expertise on something then just let it go and move on to something else. I often wondered why he would acquire so many skills and not want to use them. :/ I suppose I have done the same but under different circumstances and for different reasons.

Edit: Reconsidered that the ILI's tritype is probably 5w6-14>513
    Last edited by Aylen; 06-22-2017 at 01:47 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ILI-INTp E5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Personally I would look further into the tritypes than the wings.
    actually I was planning to read about tritypes after I am done with the wings issue, but maybe I should do as you say.

I knew an ILI 135 who could be very "dark". His humor often bordered on the bizarre and morbid but after reading all the tritypes I don't think he had that many 4 traits prominent even though he was interested in artistic things (he was very creative) but it felt more like he analyzed and perfected his music and didn't really feel art, music, etc... at least he didn't feel in the way I would feel it. He was more robotic than that, yet had a lot of anxiety.

He was what I consider an exemplar for the intellectual and technological. He only started looking at his intuitive side more closely after meeting me. He pretty much took his "gifts" for granted and was clearly not in search of identity or close connection with others. I can't think of a time where I would have described him as "floaty" in any way. He was sort of repelled by people who wanted to get too close. Except for me.
    So basically what you're trying to say is that being "dark" maybe cause by something else. it can be since everything has a dark side so different types can be dark in their own way but I just don't like it

I found this which sums it up pretty well.
    thanks a lot but I have read it before

He was also like the bolded part. He was always in search of a new passion to perfect and once he had drained the experience out of it he would move on to something else. I have never met anyone able to gain so much expertise on something then just let it go and move on to something else. I often wondered why he would acquire so many skills and not want to use them. :/ I suppose I have done the same but under different circumstances and for different reasons.
    having 3 in his tritype can also mean that his search for new passions is for the sake of accomplishment or to be admired for being a know-it-all guy, this can explain why he keep learning something else.
    for me it is not about accomplishment, it can be anything I like to do. and I described the thing I want as a passion or purpose so I can do it continuously so I don't want something that I will let go of it and move on.

since anyone would be interested in searching for a passion, maybe the best way to describe what I am looking for is as something when I am doing make me feel the same as when I watched "Death Note"

a side note: I think your old avatar was better

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OSG View Post
    actually I was planning to read about tritypes after I am done with the wings issue, but maybe I should do as you say.

So basically what you're trying to say is that being "dark" maybe cause by something else. it can be since everything has a dark side so different types can be dark in their own way but I just don't like it

thanks a lot but I have read it before

having 3 in his tritype can also mean that his search for new passions is for the sake of accomplishment or to be admired for being a know-it-all guy, this can explain why he keep learning something else.
    for me it is not about accomplishment, it can be anything I like to do. and I described the thing I want as a passion or purpose so I can do it continuously so I don't want something that I will let go of it and move on.

since anyone would be interested in searching for a passion, maybe the best way to describe what I am looking for is as something when I am doing make me feel the same as when I watched "Death Note"
    He definitely didn't come off as a dark person, maybe a bit antisocial if anything, but he was drawn to darker things when it came to humor and to a certain degree sex but nothing too far out and nothing gross/repulsive. He wasn't much into watching movies or TV since he found it boring, especially horror. He was more into developing his interests and the range was vast. He definitely didn't pursue things like art, music, martial arts, computer programming and library science for others recognition. He did it purely for his own reasons. His 3 came into play in a more subtle way so it would have been more of a 513 order of the tritype. On the enneagram test he got 5w6.

He did not want me to discuss our lives, good or bad things, with anyone or tell anyone what he was doing. I think that was where his 3 came into play a lot because he was raised in a family who were constantly warning him about image and privacy . He was into bodybuilding and looking physically attractive (I guess that might be 3 related too since he didn't want people to see us together and wonder why I was with him) but he was very private about things he enjoyed doing. Like he would not play his guitar for anyone but me after he left the musicians institute but he was so good. He didn't want me to praise him on his playing in front of others or even mention he played. I think it had to do with not feeling good enough. It was weird in a way but I learned to be more discreet because of him. I don't think he planned to move on to new things but it happened when a new passion took hold. That could probably apply to any type though.

a side note: I think your old avatar was better
    Me too. I went all emo for a minute. hahah I was going to change it back but then got distracted fixing an old computer and working on my network. Thanks for the reminder.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5w4s are more emotionally absorbed and tend towards the artistic, 5w6s are typically pretty detached and mechanical. they both seek specialization, but with the former it's about reshaping themselves according to whatever template they've projected onto the pursuit, whereas with the latter it's about performing a function and potentially (especially with so influence) filling a role. the introspection is more dry and desolate with 5w6s; in contrast to 5w4s who are just intrapersonally estranged, they appear to lack a certain component of self (but always manage to compensate for it relatively well). identity issues don't really occur, and depersonalization is relatively common in 5w4s.

sounds potentially 4-ish
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

if you're not detached, mechanical, and functionally filling up a social role ... as Simone ...you ain't 5w6, dude.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

btw OP smells like 4%5 combo ... NiFe just as possible as NiTe atm ... due to Ti-seeking interrogations online.

TIM
    ILI-INTp E5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reminder.
    you're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    they appear to lack a certain component of self
    Can you explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    if you're not detached, mechanical, and functionally filling up a social role ... as Simone ...you ain't 5w6, dude.
    detached: yes
    mechanical: half yes
    functionally filling up a social role: no, but isn't this soc related more than 6 related?

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    btw OP smells like 4%5 combo ... NiFe just as possible as NiTe atm ... due to Ti-seeking interrogations online.
    you didn't have to go as far as to smell my post, but since you did it anyway which smell better 5w4 or 5w6's posts?

TIM
    ILI-INTp E5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the below quotes from this link Typewatch Enneagram Type Descriptions

4 vs 6: Fours are comfortable with their elitism as they just know they have insight and creativity others lack. Sixes don't like it when people place themselves above others due to it being unfair.
    5w4s tend to be more subjective than 5w6s. Their thinking process is less incremental and has more "illogical leaps". They search for that one angle of looking at things that magically makes everything make sense to them. They have a bias towards seeing underlying patterns that fit together aesthetically and elegantly as more real and therefore closer to the truth. They see a plethora of nonrandom things that just happen to line up towards a single conclusion as evidence of some "higher meaning" to support their conclusion, or even an indication of fate. Such a lining up of tells amidst random chaos couldn't be chance or random. There must be something there that isn't obvious but no less significant if not more so.
    I guess this makes me 5w4

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have readdifferent descriptions of 5w4 & 5w6, and I think 5w6 fits me muchmore except in two areas which seems more of 4 wing than 6:

2- The darker taste:I have noticed that I usually like the dark side for example I likedark characters in movies, animes, games … etc. My little brother(another ILI E5) doesn't seem to care much about that.

So, what do youthink can cause this? And what is the best way to differentiatebetween the two wings?
    If youre a young person, the search for identity is commonplace and probably a red herring.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you explain this?
    there's sometimes a semi-schizoid quality to the 5w6 style of detachment... essentially, as if the self is implicitly stepped over and subserved to whatever internalized construction is serving as the basis for a more pointed, systematic expansion or consolidation. I've known heavily detached/depersonalized 5w4s, and while there was always a subjective 'gap' in their self-expression, some inner substance was always implicitly referred back to, manifest or not. 5w6s are more willing to set aside this intrapersonal element.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

5w4 intellect is more imaginative...ex. stephen king, stanley kubrick, tim burton. They're more in tune with their unconscious, much quicker to pick up on the symbolic. The 5w6 intellect has a more practical, problem-solving bent....they're more dismissive of the unconscious and like to apply their knowledge/classifications to real world problems....examples: bobby fisher, karl marx, bill gates, sherlock holmes. 5w6s engage more in intellectual war games.

Functionally, 5w6 is more like the owl up in the tree, that picks up on what they consider potential threats/problems not too far out in the horizon, but before anybody else does, and then has a whole dossier put together on it before the threat approaches 'camp', including a strategy for dealing with it. That's what made a great chess player, like say bobby fischer. 5w4 thinkers are better at unlocking entirely new bodies/modes of thought (ex. nietzsche, sartre)

TIM
    ILI-INTp E5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I would look further into the tritypes than the wings.
    Last few days I have been reading about tritypes, and I identify with 593 the thinker archetype, it was really insightful so thanks for the advice.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5w4 is more withdrawn than the 5w6 subtype, though both are outside observers. 4-wingers also are in-touch with their emotional side, and when it comes to becoming an expert in certain areas, are interested in creativity/the arts.

5w6s are solidly a headtype while 5w4s have a heart wing. 5w6s are usually more interested in science/math, and with the 6 wing, like to be very prepared. On an inward level, 5w6s are more out-of-touch with their emotional core. 5s in general have a certain sensitivity which is why they build a fortress of knowledge, to keep out the scary aspects of the world.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

TIM
    Extrovert and Happy.
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The difference between 5w4 and 5w6 is that all 5w4s are mistaken for 4s and 5w6s are not known/identified/recognized by most.
    Except for impaired empathy, an ordinary guy who's looking for down-to-earth, loving, loyal friends and a geeky, warm, voluptuous girlfriend!