Thread: Types and Gender Differences

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Types and Gender Differences

Are there gender differences between people of same types?

For example are female INTps generally better at than male INTps? Where male INTps are pure and can't at all? Are these differences genetical or learned if they exist? Do you think individual differences are way bigger than any gender differences? Try to come up with examples of how gender differences could manifest in different types.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the theory is that we adopt to expections, then it depends on culture. So it would be hard to make a general rule that applies even across the Western world.
    INFj

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Types and Gender Differences

There exist general gender differences that are genetical (that is a proven fact). Women in general are better at than men, but individual differences are bigger than these general differences, and, at least in some respects, type differences are probably more important than the genetical gender differences.

The talk about E-brains (emotions) and S-brains (systems) correspond with the difference between F and T types. Women in general are more likely to have an E-brain and men more likely to have an S-brain. The brain structure of an INTp is without doubt more S than E. I don't know if female INTps are better at than male INTps, but perhaps we should expect that.

The most extreme version of an S-brain is probably Kim Peek's (the real Rain Man), who was born without a corpus callosum — the connecting tissue between the left and right hemispheres. In women the two hemispheres are more interconnected than in men, which is at least one of the causes of they typically having an E-brain. Kim Peek's brain also illustrates why Asperger's syndrome and other autism-spectrum disorders are much more frequent among men than among women.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a russian article I read recently that deals with this issue. It's not celarly comprehensible if english is your frist language and therefore you're used to clearness, but nonethless interesting.

SLE LIE -> most masculine
    IEI EII -> most femminine

if I recall correctly. The article...

here:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...and_femine.htm

It doesn't open right now though, at least from my pc.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the society around here, even if it is quite feminazi, still "forces" women and men to be a bit different. Or perhaps it is only natural.

I mean let's assume an INTp girl goes to a first date with a guy. If they are all then the guy will probably be a bit puzzled/annoyed and perhaps not go on a second date at all. It takes some time to learn to appreciate the fact that the girl can the guy to oblivion. So perhaps INTp girls learn that they must at least initially be a bit and/or and hide their . This may become a habbit or learned behavior.

Then if someone goes to a date with INTp guy and he uses a lot. The girl may think "Well he is a jerk but at least he seems intelligent and capable. I think I give him a chance.". So the INTp guy never learns to be more .

Ok this is one of the example I had in mind. It is about PoLR. INTps being better examples than ISTps here but could work for ISTps too.

I'm not sure how this would work with other types.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    The most extreme version of an S-brain is probably Kim Peek's (the real Rain Man), who was born without a corpus callosum — the connecting tissue between the left and right hemispheres. In women the two hemispheres are more interconnected than in men, which is at least one of the causes of they typically having an E-brain. Kim Peek's brain also illustrates why Asperger's syndrome and other autism-spectrum disorders are much more frequent among men than among women.
    This is based on one survey of a total of 14 brains and the gender differences were not statistically significant.
    INFj

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    I think the society around here, even if it is quite feminazi, still "forces" women and men to be a bit different. Or perhaps it is only natural.
    All cultural and behavioural differences are ulitmately caused by genetic, biological differences, so in a sense you could say that it is only natural.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pesto
    This is based on one survey of a total of 14 brains and the gender differences were not statistically significant.
    That is plain bullshit. There are countless of studies confirming that there exist statistically significant gender differences. That is common consensus among every serious neuro-scientist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is plain bullshit. There are countless of studies confirming that there exist statistically significant gender differences. That is common consensus among every serious neuro-scientist.
    Says who?
    INFj

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Says who?
    Says me, Phaedrus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Says who?
    Says me, Phaedrus.
    Exactly. And as far as we know you're not a "serious neuro-scientist". Neither am I. I don't have the time to back my words with a reliable source because I have a life. What your reason is is for you to say. But for you to call what I said BS is BS.
    INFj

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But for you to call what I said BS is BS.
    I find it extremely irritating when people, like you in this case, proclaim your opinions on various subjects without checking the facts first. Why don't you take a surfing tour on the Internet? You don't need to be a professional in these fields to know where the truth is. But you have to do some rudimentary homework and maybe get rid of some prejudices you might have, especially if you happen to suffer from having been brainwashed by feministic propaganda and pseudo-scientific balderdash, which has no scientific support what so ever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But for you to call what I said BS is BS.
    I find it extremely irritating when people, like you in this case, proclaim your opinions on various subjects without checking the facts first. Why don't you take a surfing tour on the Internet? You don't need to be a professional in these fields to know where the truth is. But you have to do some rudimentary homework and maybe get rid of some prejudices you might have, especially if you happen to suffer from having been brainwashed by feministic propaganda and pseudo-scientific balderdash, which has no scientific support what so ever.
    Read my last post. Repeat.
    INFj

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*blows the whistle* - back to subject!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Says who?
    Says me, Phaedrus.
    Exactly. And as far as we know you're not a "serious neuro-scientist". Neither am I. I don't have the time to back my words with a reliable source because I have a life. What your reason is is for you to say. But for you to call what I said BS is BS.
    Ahaha, your attempt at appearing menacing is absolutely laughable, and unsupported. Get it straight.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone above mentioned, I always understood that individual differences show a much greater range than all other behaviours etc that are related to something like gender difference, background, height, weight etc which have been show to individually constitute a small average shift in personality and behaviour.

Gender difference is interesting though, men and women clearly do differ quite a lot, but I remember from MBTI stats (sorry lol) that E/I S/N J/P ratio's are all the same for both sexes where as F - 66% women T - 66% men, which makes me wonder about the saying "men are more decisive than women". Any thoughts on that?

A friend said to me before that the reason why women tend to use more words on average per day and have better skill with sending and recieveing language (including body language) and usually have a interest in social dymanics is because its connected to the mechanism women use to weigh up a potential sexual partner, to judge whether he is suitable and genetically fit, whereas men get this information not through language but through things like symmetricity of a womans face etc.
    I wonder if the main differences from gender comes down to the incredibly strong biological drive to reproduce, and behaviour differences etc as a result of gender are just a reflection of this, either directly or indirectly.

any thoughs?
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've seen female ENTps and male ones seem quite different.

I know a lot of the behavior I had growing up was shaped because I was female.

Little emphasis on education (I was supposed to marry well);
    Be compassionate and 'feeling' towards others because its what women are supposed to be according to society standards;
    I was discouraged from taking risks more than a male would be;
    What is considered charming in male ENTps is seen as aggressive behavior in females;

So impacts, hmm I'd say males would be more likely to make a lot more money than me and have more exposure to more detailed and technical information but I may be a bit more ethical than them.
    Polly
    ENTp

I live in the USA, but my heart longs for England.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flower
    As someone above mentioned, I always understood that individual differences show a much greater range than all other behaviours etc that are related to something like gender difference, background, height, weight etc which have been show to individually constitute a small average shift in personality and behaviour.

Gender difference is interesting though, men and women clearly do differ quite a lot, but I remember from MBTI stats (sorry lol) that E/I S/N J/P ratio's are all the same for both sexes where as F - 66% women T - 66% men, which makes me wonder about the saying "men are more decisive than women". Any thoughts on that?

A friend said to me before that the reason why women tend to use more words on average per day and have better skill with sending and recieveing language (including body language) and usually have a interest in social dymanics is because its connected to the mechanism women use to weigh up a potential sexual partner, to judge whether he is suitable and genetically fit, whereas men get this information not through language but through things like symmetricity of a womans face etc.
    I wonder if the main differences from gender comes down to the incredibly strong biological drive to reproduce, and behaviour differences etc as a result of gender are just a reflection of this, either directly or indirectly.

any thoughs?

I really agree with you here. To me, yes, there is a trend when it comes to gender behavior, but individual differences mean a whole lot more.

I think that the whole sexual drive is a good explanation.
    Roboticist: Someone who conceptualizes, designs, builds, programs and experiments with robots.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polly
    I know a lot of the behavior I had growing up was shaped because I was female.
    I believe this is true for me 2. My parents always encouraged me to be independant and get well educated which suited me well given my type. I was definately subject to "Be compassionate and "feeling' towards others because its what women are supposed to be according to society standards" which is why I believe I am a passive 'soft' friendly person although I quietly believe strongly in my own convictions.

I tend to think from my own experience that male/female types are the same at birth, and a combination of social programming and a smaller amount of difference derived from different sexual drives make the difference in the final 'developed' adult human being.
    Friendly ISTp
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too. There's this gravitational pull towards being a "good little girl". At least that's what it felt like for me. Not that I wanted to be one; I wanted to be a singer or a dancer, if I recall that correctly. But the things that were encouraged and expected were politeness, being no-nonsense, being cleaner than a boy and dressing with more taste, and being "diligent and dutiful". I'd probably be more exuberant and flamboyant (and possibly more assertive) if I were a male ENFp. (Not that this would necessarily be a good thing...)

You know what's really the weirdest thing of it all? After I got married, suddenly people started expecting me to be the "good little girl" again. With a complete set of tupperware containers. And matching lipliner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    You know what's really the weirdest thing of it all? After I got married, suddenly people started expecting me to be the "good little girl" again. With a complete set of tupperware containers. And matching lipliner.
    Me too, which is why now I tend to act the opposite of what is expected. As an adult, I seem to have the confidence to do that.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my time, we used to do high-fives on such occasions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my time, we used to do high-fives on such occasions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be good girls now and behave!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friendly ISTp

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have felt the total different pull. To be Strong and unemotional.

My ISTj dad is like, feelings?? WTF are they?
    So i had to repress that side of myself to fit in with guys.

Thats why Nice guys may not be as attractive to women.

F = nice guy type.
    66% of women are searching for T type

There you have it
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An unemotional ENFp sounds just as bad as an un-flamboyant one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being good is no fun though lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    Being good is no fun though lol.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look who's talking. What are you doing indoors? Communicating (!) about social issues (!) while also talking about your own life and feelings (!!)? Go outside and shoot a mufflon, XoX.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look who's talking. What are you doing indoors? Communicating (!) about social issues (!) while also talking about your own life and feelings (!!)? Go outside and shoot a mufflon, XoX.
    Edit: After a second thought I think I leave it here I have been having too many arguments with ENFps lately. It is starting to get old

I live in the USA, but my heart longs for England.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with a lot of you all. I think that really there's just a tiny bit of biolgical personality-based differences in the majority of males and females, but because there are so many traditional people in our society and a lot of people care about what other people think of them, they may conform to the social standards and expectations set down for their gender, thus spreading the gap between the bahavior of males and females. Everyone expects one set of things from girls, and one from boys, and if anyone goes against the grain, then they're met with lots of opposition.

So, of course, I try to be as stereotypically nonconformist as personally possible.
    Roboticist: Someone who conceptualizes, designs, builds, programs and experiments with robots.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An unemotional ENFp sounds just as bad as an un-flamboyant one.
    I totally agree. I have returned to my natural state now but things are a little different with guys. In my school i had to be strong and tough or i would get preyed upon.

It does depend on how you use your feeling i suppose, just as long as you dont become all emotional and cry when something upsets you or when they show a puppy on television. If i did that i would have got stomped
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if you ENFP Women were ENFP men how do you think you would behave differently? What would you imagine an ENFP male's life to be like? I like these flip questions.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.