Thread: Reinin Dichtomies (NOT machine translated!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reinin Dichtomies (NOT machine translated!)

Episodic (Static) (IJ EP):
    1.Perceive events in an episodic manner – discrete states rather than continuous changes.
    2.Describe events in a general manner and by comparing them to other similar events.
    3.The stories of statics usually involve one constant main character, and are most focused on states and conditions. Transitions are 'jumps' from one state to another.
    4.“Usually, we celebrate Christmas by [...], but this year we stayed home”
    Continual (Dynamic) (IP EJ):
    1.Perceive events in a continuous sequences – continuous changes rather than discrete states.
    2.Describe events in a specific and concrete manner, and may give the appearance of being at the center of events no matter their real involvement.
    3.Anyone – or anything – can be (and often is) one of multiple main characters in their stories, and descriptions of ongoing processes dominate.
    4.“This Christmas we gathered together, sangs songs, [...]. While Bob was [...], Sandy drank [...]”

Interrogative (N:1,2 S:3,4):
    1.Tend to use interrogative intonations – much of what they say sounds like a question.
    2.Inclined to repeat a question asked of fthem, or to voice other questions (eg, “Where should I start?”) before answering. These questions are not truly asked of anyone, just voiced, and often used to help the 'flow' of a conversation.
    3.Prefer speaking in 'question and answer' dialogues, and may actively (though perhaps not consciously) work to turn the conversation to this form. They may have a real or imaginary interlocutor with whom they carry out this dialogue.
    4.When interrupted with a question while speaking, will answer immediately and then return to where they left off, and often feel compelled to interrupt in such a manner.
    5.(when asked a question) “Is there more than one way to do that? Of course. But what is the best way? Well, [...]”
    Declarative (N:3,4 S:1,2):
    1.Inclined to speak in a declarative manner – even their questions may sound like statements.
    2.Usually use questions solely for the purpose of receiving an answer.
    3.Prefer speaking in 'alternating monologues', wherein each speaker takes turns speaking, and may attempt (though perhaps not consciously) to convert the conversation to this form.
    4.When interrupted with a question while speaking, they ask the questioner wait until they are finished speaking. They may also ask the questioner to 'be patient', and subsequently work the answer to the question into their speech. Accordingly, they prefer to wait until the speaker has finished before asking questions.
    5.“On my way to St Ives, I met a man with seven wives. These seven wives had seven sacks, and the seven sacks held seven cats, and these seven cats had seven kits. Kits, cats, sacks, wives – How many were going to St Ives?”

Optimistic (Positivism) (E:1,3 I:2,4):
    1.Focus on the 'positive' aspects of a situation: what has gone and could go right, what is correct and plentiful.
    2.Best in 'positive' situations – seizing the day. Inclined to 'find the silver lining'.
    3.Speak in a 'positive' manner, minimizing the negative. Irritated by excessively negative conversations.
    4.Give instructions largely by describing how something SHOULD be done.
    5.“I don't talk about what could go wrong – why should I get people down when everything may still go right?”
    6. More likely to praise than criticise (Ed.: tentative)
    Pessimistic (Negativism) (E:2,4 I:1,3):
    1.Focus on the 'negative' aspects of a situation: what has gone and could go wrong, what is missing or deficient.
    2.Best in 'negative' situations – dealing with problems. Inclined to 'look a gift horse in the mouth'.
    3.Speak in a 'negative' manner, minimizing the positive. Irritated by excessively positive conversations
    4.Give instructions largely by describing how something should NOT be done.
    5.“I foresee what can go wrong, and I try to help by making people aware of it.”
    6. More likely to criticise than praise (Ed.: tentative)

Tactical (NP SJ):
    1.Focus on the actions to be performed, with the goal unsettled.
    2.a. Their goal is defined by how well it fits with their methods.
    b. Their goal is modified according to their methods.
    3.All possibilities are given equal weight.
    4.Avoid setting long-term goals, and if they find their actions directed towards a specific goal, they may feel 'down' upon reaching it. Accordingly, they are not inclined to have a specific purpose for what they do (other than, e.g., “curiosity”).
    5.Manipulate methods – examine and compare methods to find the best.
    6.“For each choice you make, there are several more to come. There is time to find a purpose along the way.”
    Strategic (NJ SP):
    1.Focus on the goal to reach, with the actions to get there unsettled.
    2.a. Their methods are defined by how well they fit their goal.
    b. Their methods are modified according to their goal.
    3.What DID happen is given more weight than what COULD have happened, and more weight is given to those events that had the most effect on the current situation.
    4.Feel uncomfortable if forced to deviate from their goals, or if they find themselves without purpose. Accordingly, they rarely function without a purpose.
    5.Manipulate goals – examine and compare goals and put them into a hierarchy.
    6.“The point is not whether a task is important or not, but the reason for its doing.”

Constructivist (FJ TP):
    1.Tend to minimize the emotional elements of interaction, preferring to focus on the 'business' elements.
    2.Have emotional 'anchors' (eg, books, films, places) which they use to support their internal emotional state.
    3.Can become 'emotionally hooked', and can have a strong reaction to a particular part or section regardless of their feelings towards the entirety.
    4.Have greater difficulty disassociating from others' emotions and experiences than from requests for action or consideration.
    5.“I prefer when people offer concrete solutions instead of comfort or sympathy.”
    Emotivist (FP TJ):
    1.Tend to concentrate foremost on the emotional background of interaction, with 'business' a secondary concern.
    2.Prefer the new and novel over the old and known.
    3.Information perceived as unprofessional or low-quality can leave them indifferent.
    4.Have greater difficulty disassociating from requests for action or consideration than from others' emotions and experiences.
    5.“If a conversation is emotionally negative, I consider it wasted.”

Process (NTp NFj SFp STj):
    1.Feel themselves 'immersed' in a process, and therefore have a difficult time multitasking.
    2.Tend to view a process as a whole, indissoluble, and have a difficult time coming starting and stopping in the middle of a process, preferring to finish it in one go.
    3.“I have a hard time stopping what I'm doing – like when I'm reading a book, but know I have to go to sleep. I'll continue right through the end of the chapter and several pages into the next before I finally stop. It's just that the idea of something ending kind of frightens me.”
    Result (NTj NFp SFj STp):
    1.Feel themselves on the 'outside' of a process, and thus easily multitask.
    2.Tend to perceive a process through their estimations of its progress/results, and may not notice something is wrong until it shows up in these estimations.
    3.“I feel like a juggler, with processes for knives. Each has a beginning and an end. The most terrible thing would be if a process never ended.”

Resource-Protecting (Compliant) (ET IF):
    1.Resources are 'sacred', but ideas are freely shared and manipulated.
    2.Easily aware of the boundaries between their and others' interests.
    3.Protect their resources to the point of conflict, and their reaction may be unduly strong.
    4.“If I know I can't do something, I won't and will forget all about it.”
    Interest-Protecting (Obstinate) (IT EF):
    1.Ideas are 'sacred', but resources are freely shared and manipulated.
    2.Easily aware of the boundaries between their and others' resources.
    3.Guard their interests from intrusions, and their reaction to such intrusions may be quite sharp.
    4.“I won't abandon my interests just because my resources are inadequate, but simply work towards improving my resources until they ARE adequate.”

Incidental (Careless) (EN IS):
    1.Inclined to solve problems by primarily using that information which is 'at hand'. Accordingly, their solutions are likely to be particular to that situation.
    2.The search for the solution is implied in the answer.
    3.“You cannot prepare for everything.”
    Farsighted (IN ES):
    1.Inclined to solve problems by primarily using that information which they possess through knowledge and experience. Accordingly, their solutions are likely to be of a general nature.
    2.The search for the solution is explicit in the answer.
    3.“It is best to prepare in advance.”

Relaxed (Reasonable) (I IV):
    1.Natural state is relaxed.
    2.Work best when they can relax beforehand, and are mobilized only for the duration necessary.
    3.Have an easy time going from 'mobilized' to 'relaxed', but not from 'relaxed' to 'mobilized'. Thus, they may need external stimuli to become mobilized.
    4.Tend to divide up matters into smaller stages during which they are mobilized, relaxing between each stage.
    5.Become aware of their own mobilization as soon as it manifests – i.e., as soon as they start considering an action. However, they are often poorly aware of the periods of maximal mobilization – i.e., the time of action.
    6.Focuses and places the most importance on the preparatory stage – the 'action' stages are considered implicit and given less attention.
    7.Consider their working conditions (e.g., comfort, freedom, and convenience) more important than the possible results and rewards (e.g., how much they are paid).
    8.This attitude is strengthened by introversion.
    9.More aware of when they are mobilized than when they are relaxed.
    10.“Consideration is very nice, that time during which you still don't have to make a decision. It's even better when it isn't necessary to do anything afterwards.”
    Readied (Resolute) (II III):
    1.Natural state is readiness.
    2.Work best if they are able to tart mobilizing in preparation for what they must do.
    3.Easily go from 'relaxed' to 'mobilized', but not from 'mobilized' to 'relaxed'. Thus, they may need external stimuli (like a movie) to relax.
    4.Tend to perform an entire task at once, and to maintain their internal 'readiness' between tasks.
    5.Become of aware of their own mobilization at its maximals – i.e., when it is time for action. However, they are often poorly aware of when the mobilization firsts manifests – i.e., when they first start considering an action.
    6.Focuses and places the most importance on taking action – preparation is considered implicit and given less attention.
    7.Consider the possible results and rewards of their work (e.g., how much they are paid) more important than the working conditions (e.g., comfort, freedom, and convenience).
    8.This attitude is strengthened by extroversion.
    9.More aware of when they are relaxed than when they are mobilized.
    10.“I will not get stuck in the process of consideration – it always ends in a decision being made.”

Merry (Fe) and Subjective (Ti) (I II):
    1.Good at noticing emotional background and perceive the emotional aspect (particularly 'fun') separate from the activity.
    2.'Getting to know someone' happens naturally, and they are well aware of the purpose(s) for which they are meeting. The proper emotional distance is easily established, adapted/regulated, and manipulated, and they easily decrease distance through their emotional 'brilliance'. A person's name (and other formalities) are peripheral to their relation with and interest in them, and thus they don't care much about formal introductions..
    3.Not inclined to deduce 'objective truths' from their own and others' experiences – everything is relative. This relativity is perceived as an extenuation of the differing beliefs, opinions, intentions, etc. of each person. Accordingly, another person's actions are judged as correct or incorrect according to a set of subjective criteria. They attempt to compare others' views to their own, and to explain their own views in order to make sure that all parties understand the concepts being spoken of.
    4.They are inclined to propose (or impose) another conception of the situation ('look at it this way'). If they think something is done incorrectly, they will ask WHY it was done that way. When talking about optimums, they are inclined to do it subjectively ('optimum compared to what?').
    5.“Fun is involvement, active participation; a state of constant excitement that one cannot confuse with leisure or rest.” “I have my own ideas about how things should be done – a 'mind of my own' – but so does everyone else.” [Ed.: Fun appears to be connected with Fe]
    Serious (Fi) and Objective (Te) (III IV):
    1.Bad at noticing emotional background and do not separate the emotional aspect (particularly 'fun') from the activity.
    2.Acquaintance with others is established by ritual (e.g., introduction), and they prefer if the context of interaction is externally set (eg, by a mediator (think 'arranged marriages') or situation) so that they can skip the first phases and begin closer interaction. They approach others through stages defined by 'rules' and 'rituals', which may be created by themselves and/or already existing; thus, they are very aware of the stages of the process of acquaintance – e.g., when a person is no longer a stranger. The title, name, and any other information about the other person are considered important, and for this reason formal introduction is important.
    3.Inclined to believe there are 'objective truths' – the truth is not always relative. Therefore, they believe that there are two types of actions/perspectives: those which are subjective (connected with personal preferences and motivations) and those which are objective (only one 'correct' or 'best' way of doing something). Whether something is correct or not is judged by comparing it with what they see as 'objectively correct'. In disagreement, they first attempt to make sure that the other person understands the concepts and terms 'correctly'.
    4. They are inclined to offer (or impose) what they see as the 'best' or 'correct' way of doing something ('it should be done like this'). If they think something is done incorrectly, they ask WHO did it that way. When speaking of optimums, they are inclined to do so objectively (the 'absolute' optimum).
    5.“It is difficult for me to differentiate between activity/work and fun; work is necessarily fun – without an element of entertainment, it would be impossible” “If something is being done the wrong way? Oy! IMO, there is only one proper way to 'hammer a nail'” [Ed.: Fun appears to be connected to Te]

Democratic (I III):
    1.Perceive self and others primarily through individual qualities – 'I am myself'
    2.Likely to ignore or not be aware of what groups another belongs to when interacting with them, and discinlined to speak of (social) groups and group features.
    3.Consider the individual more important than the society.
    4.“I'm not interested in a person's group or social distinctions – their personal, individual qualities are the important ones.”
    Aristocratic (II IV):
    1.Perceive self and others primarily through the groups they belong to – 'I am a xxxx'
    2.Likely to be influenced by what group(s) another belongs to when interacting with them, and inclined to speak of (social) groups and group features.
    3.Consider the society more important than the individual.
    4.“You are my friend, but my friends don't steal toilet paper from McDonalds! [...] Oh no, please don't misunderstand me, I'm not an aristocrat! I'm not!”
    INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Notes:
    *Unless noted otherwise, functions are assumed to be in ego block.
    *'and' means both, 'or' means either
    *The notation (#) or (#, #) denotes positions according to model A
    *At the moment these are just roughs, but they should give you an idea of what's going on.

Reinin Dichotomies
    Episodic & Continual
    Episodic: Introverted Judgement and Extroverted Perception
    Continual: Extroverted Judgement and Introverted Perception

Interrogative & Declarative
    Lost my note on this, so I'll get back to you later (since I now have some sleep, school, and work)

Optimistic & Pessimistic
    Optimistic: (-+) series and (+-) series
    Pessimistic: (+-) series and (-+) series
    (I'll get to what these 'series' mean when I get back, and this is much more hypothetical than the others)

Tactical & Strategic
    Tactical: Strong, Accepting N (1, 7) or Strong, Producing S (2, 8)
    Strategic: Strong, Producing N (2, 8) or Strong, Accepting S (1, 7)

Constructivist & Emotivist
    Constructivist: Strong, Producing T (2, 8) or Weak, Accepting T (3, 5)
    Emotivists: Strong, Producing F (2, 8) or Weak, Accepting F (3, 5)

Process & Result
    This takes some pretty imagery I'm going to have to produce.
    But, for now, let's assume that the conscious block flows this way: 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 1, and the unconscious block flows 5 -> 6 -> 7 -> 8 -> 5 (starting point is arbitrary)
    Then,
    Process: N -> T -> S -> F -> N
    Result: N -> F -> S -> T -> N

Resource-Protecting & Interest-Protecting
    Resource-Protecting: Accepting, Valued ( or ) or Producing, Valued ( or )
    Interest-Protecting: Accepting, Valued ( or ) or Producing, Valued ( or )

Incidental & Farsighted
    Incidental: Accepting, Valued ( or ) or Producing, Valued ( or )
    Farsighted: Accepting, Valued ( or ) or Producing, Valued ( or )

Relaxed & Readied
    Relaxed: Values Si > Se, Ne > Ni
    Readied: Values Se > Si, Ni > Ne

Merry & Serious
    Merry: Values Fe > Fi
    Serious: Values Fi > Fe

Subjective & Objective
    Subjective: Values Ti > Te
    Objective: Values Te > Ti

Democratic & Aristocratic
    Democratic: NT, SF
    Aristocratic: NF, ST

Gulenko's Erotic Attitudes
    Aggressor & Victim
    Aggressor: Strong, Conscious
    Victim: Weak, Subconscious

Caring & Infantile
    Caring: Strong, Conscious
    Infantile: Weak, Subconscious

Temperaments
    EP

EJ

IJ

IP

Clubs
    Researchers
    NT

Socials
    SF

Pragmatists
    ST

Idealists
    NF
    INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[reserved - yeah, I might just put this much in here. Maybe more (hurricanes give lots o' free time)]
    INTp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

Creepy-pokeball

Thanks!

Tie for Static/Dynamic.
    Questioner.
    Negativist.

...for what it's worth.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for interrupting, I wanted to add an observation which seems to counter a specification of Neg/Pos.

IME, it's Negativists that react worse to any negative observation. Because they tend to already see what is lacking in a certain point in time, and therefore an additional load of shit isn't exactly what they expect.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly. For the moment I'm mostly concentrating on translating it all, and I'll check the correctness of the correlations, etc later. (esp. since I just did strategic/tactical and it was in much danger of giving me a nasty headache [though fortunately I seem rather immune to those..])

//EDIT: ...and apparently is also infecting my grammar.
    INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, today I finished up through obstinate - compliant. Kind of. I'm having trouble with the examples for this last one, esp. the exact intended meaning of "interests" and "matters". I'll be away for most of today and unable to work further on these, so I'd appreciate if some suggestions could be brought up for these.
    INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, well first off THANKS to smegledmaca for finishing up the dichotomies (which means I can move along that much faster).

Secondly, I've changed my first post to a somewhat summarised version of the translations - should be much more readable now. Also, my second post (formerly 'reserved') now contains functional correlations of the dichotomies, and a few others.
    INTp