Thread: Role functions and 2"x4"s

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Role functions and 2"x4"s

I'm trying to understand the way that I use my role function.

Incidentally, what got me thinking about it was this exchange from a different thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slava (at home)
    Btw Slava, haven't seen you on the forum much lately. You seem to pop on and start some some goofy new thread every once in a while, and then we don't hear from you.
    btw, thanks for using your to notice the trend, and then hitting my POLR, , by pointing out my poor relational ethics, and then making it sugar coated with a
    I was actually trying to him (so to speak) because I missed having him around. But unfortunately, I'm really bad at that and I screwed the whole thing up and hit his PoLR.

So, I'm thinking the role function is kinda like carrying a 6ft long 2x4 on your shoulder: you think you've got it ok, but everytime you turn around, you whack people in the head with it because you don't have good control.

Am I totally off here?

(BTW, all apologies to Slava for using him as an example.)
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice analysis, Transigent. Very insightful about how awkward it is for us T types to fold in the feelings in a way that engages . . . I don't know about excaliburgirl, but I hardly ever know the words to use that will bring about a positive emotional response in others.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    Does anyone else ever know the words but is just too tired to say them?
    Yeah, brings a whole new meaning to the phrase to "pay a compliment."

And I'll tell you why it takes energy.

Because we're all deep down insecure egotistical motherfuckers, and it is deeply rooted in our unconciousnesses that one man's gain is another man's loss. It's called the psychology of scarcity. Sounds horrible, but strip away the niceties of society and you find some pretty nasty stuff.

I'm the same as Pedro, he's just more honest than most, as am I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    I'm not exactly like that heh... I remember those days though. My advice: fall in love
    I don't mean to pick on you Pedro, but what then would be an alternate explanation to the phenomenon you previously described?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and love is need. Bah humbug!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be, could be. For you, since you seem to be a guy who is less self-involved than most. But in general I've found it to be true.

And because I like you people, my children, even though I don't know you very well, I am going to quote to you from a passage of a book I've just read and enjoyed called "Awareness: the Perils and Opportunities of Reality". From the level of insecurity I've seen here we could use some of this advice.

I'm going to write a book someday and the title will be I'm an Ass, You're an Ass. That's the most liberating, wonderful thing in the world, when you openly admit you're an ass. It's wonderful. When people tell me, "You're wrong." I say, "What can you expect of an ass?"

Disarmed, everybody has to be disarmed. In the final liberation, I'm an ass, you're an ass. Normally the way it goes, I press a button and you're up; I press another button and you're down. And you like that. How many people do you know who are unaffacted by praise or blame? That isn't human, we say. Human means that you have to be a little monkey, so everybody can twist your tail, and you do whatever you ought to be doing. But is that human? If you find me charming, it means that right now you're in a good mood, nothing more.

It also means that I fit your shopping list. We all carry a shopping list around, and it's as though you've got to measure up to this list--tall, um, dark, um, handsome, according to my tastes. "I like the sound of his voice." You say, "I'm in love." You're not in love, you silly ass. Any time you're in love--I hestitate to say this--you're being particulary asinine. Sit down and watch what's happening to you. You're running away from yourself. You want to escape. Somebody once said, "Thank god for reality, and for the means to escape from it." So that's what's going on. We are so mechanical, so controlled. We write books about being controlled and how wonderful it is to be controlled and how neccessary it is that people tell you you're O.K. Then you'll have good feelings about yourself. How wonderful it is to be in prison!
    Okay, so now it's okay to start baring your ass-ness. I'll be on the lookout.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh, fall in love.

just what I need, but probably will regret.

Yeah, we're all asses, goodnight :wink: