TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type me

Hi there!

I got to thinking about making a typing thread after noticing how often mistyping is mentioned in different threads throughout the forums. I'm reasonably sure I'm an ILE of some description, but I'd be quite grateful if I could get an outside opinion

So I guess that I'd say that I like to understand the characteristics of things, and how those characteristics interact to form the thing itself, whether those be perceptual phenomena or the narrative elements of a novel or the ingredients and preparation of a meal. But I also like to consider how those characteristics are things in themselves, and that each thing can be abstracted into a component characteristic of a larger thing, and then thinking about the interaction between different levels of those structures. So basically how emergent phenomena arises through the interactions of component parts, which are themselves emergent phenomena, and how the qualitative nature of said phenomena is dependent on the nature of the interactions between the components and the qualities of those components, the qualities of the components being dependent on the interaction and qualities of their components, and so on forever. All of those emergent phenomena are dynamic systems as well of course, because I'm pretty sure nearly everything is most accurately described as a dynamic system. Maybe I'm getting a bit sidetracked here though.

I would probably describe my thought process as collecting lots of impressions and then congealing those impressions into an idea, and then moulding that into something communicable.

I enjoy having involved conversations about things. I don't particularly like small talk or conversations about relationship problems or the state of the world or ideology or whatever, just because those sorts of things don't particularly matter to me and they tend to depress me(though of course that doesn't mean they're devoid of worth, just that I don't appreciate them for whatever reason). I generally have a straightforward way of talking, but in casual conversation with friends I like to play with the flow of conversation and the different sensations/impressions words have, just because it's fun.

I'm kind of fidgety, look around a lot, twitchy but in a lazy way. I pay attention to my appearance but if I look like shit it doesn't particularly bother me unless I'm going to be in a situation where I know I'll be evaluated negatively for it by people who's opinions have influence over my life, like my landlord or my professors. My expression is often completely irrelevant to the immediate external situation, mainly because it's dependent on thoughts that I'm having, which also usually have nothing to do with the immediate situation. I tend to dissociate a lot from my immediate surroundings.

But yeah that's all I can think to say for now. Any input is appreciated

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Hello and welcome.

Can you describe your perception of the characteristics of this image?

*Question inspired by your username.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So I guess that I'd say that I like to understand the characteristics of things, and how those characteristics interact to form the thing itself, whether those be perceptual phenomena or the narrative elements of a novel or the ingredients and preparation of a meal. But I also like to consider how those characteristics are things in themselves, and that each thing can be abstracted into a component characteristic of a larger thing, and then thinking about the interaction between different levels of those structures.

I don't particularly like small talk or conversations about relationship problems or the state of the world or ideology or whatever, just because those sorts of things don't particularly matter to me and they tend to depress me(though of course that doesn't mean they're devoid of worth, just that I don't appreciate them for whatever reason). I generally have a straightforward way of talking, but in casual conversation with friends I like to play with the flow of conversation and the different sensations/impressions words have, just because it's fun.

duuuuude. possibly Ti dominant. Alpha , ofc.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ILE
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about, and I had to re-read this 5 times at least, therefore Ti.

Welcome to the forum!

It wasn't so hard for me to read this but like I said before it is the heavy Ti and Te that does that to me.

I decided today that I might offer up, what I feel, are little tests of functions when people want to be typed. This is a trial run, although I have done it before, I don't think I kept up with the results. It seems like a reasonable thing to do when someone already has a self-type in mind. Not sure if the one I gave in this case was right for a self-typed alpha but I guess we'll see. I just don't see how the questionnaire here is enough to show how people use their base function, to start with...

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I've seen many do the pictures before to draw functions from it, and it usually is pretty informative as long as they elaborate a bit. I'm not a huge fan of the current questionnaire. I like this one better, which is a shortened version of an 80 question, improved and whittled down to a 40Q test, from the WSS Facebook page evidently: 40q
    So maybe some of these questions could help, for ideas of what to ask, too?
    Thanks! I took a look at the Ni questions and I just can't imagine how one would determine a base function of Ni from those. Time is only an element of introverted intuition but those question are so general and unrelated to Ni, imo. The Si questions didn't seem any better. :/ I am going to have to create my own quiz, in my next hypomanic state. I wonder what to do to bring one on.

1. How people change? How do you feel about those changes? Can others see the changes?
    2. What is time? How do you feel time? Can you waste time?
    3. Do you need help creating forecasts and determining how something will end? Do you trust those forecasts?
    4. Are you normally late? How do you react if someone is late?
    5. Imagine the situation where you agreed to meet with someone. Your feelings and actions:
    a) 20 minutes before the meeting starts,
    b) 5 minutes before the meeting starts,
    c) it is time for the meeting to start, but the person is not here,
    d) 20 minutes after the meeting start time and the person is not here,
    e) more time and the person is still not here…

I guess this had something to do with an obvious SEI being typed IEI in one of their videos.

Edit: Can I blame @Ananke for sparking me into thinking about testing functions. It was something she said that really made sense and got me thinking about better ways to do this. Maybe @Limitless can help me.

I might use some of this as my guidelines for function testing.

type name type characteristics
    Extraverted Thinking analytical, strategic, plans, implements, organises others
    Introverted Thinking contemplative, discovering, theoretical, seeks self-knowledge
    Extraverted Feeling sociable, sentimental, seeks personal and social success
    Introverted Feeling inaccessible, enigmatic, self-contained, seeks inner intensity
    Extraverted Sensation practical, hands-on, pleasure-seeking, hard-headed
    Introverted Sensation intense, obsessive, detached, connoisseur, expert
    Extraverted Intuition adventurous, innovative, seeks novelty, proposes change
    Introverted Intuition idealistic, visionary, esoteric, mystical, aloof
    Last edited by Aylen; 04-01-2015 at 06:55 PM.

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI 4w5 2w1
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Aylen I've been wondering that (about finding other ways to type people) since before I joined the forum and I actually have a couple thoughts on it. Are you planning on starting a new thread for this?
    Last edited by Limitless; 04-02-2015 at 08:30 PM.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Hello and welcome.

Can you describe your perception of the characteristics of this image?

*Question inspired by your username.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was exhausted from an exam I had yesterday and I came down with a cold :/

There's a lot of things going on in that image, and I didn't know where to start, so I google image searched it; turns out it was done by a guy called Francisco de Holanda, a Portuguese artist and philosopher. He was seriously preoccupied with the geometric organisation of the cosmos, and he had a particular proclivity towards the relationships between triangles and circles and cones and spheres.

This picture specifically is supposed to be a representation of god creating the universe. The most prominant things, I would think, are his arms, and the words written on them, pointing towards Alpha and Omega. On the right arm, oriented towards Alpha, is written piety, and on the left, to Omega, reason, possibly implying that you have to start from a pious perspective to arrive at a rational one? I love art but I've never taken a course in it or anything, so I might be off the mark, but the beauty of postmodernism is that it's basically impossible to say whether or not my interpretation matches up with the intent of the artist, so I guess it's fine

fiat firmamentum is probably a reference to genesis, you know, "let the firmament be between the waters, and seperate the waters from the waters, those lower from those higher", so that swirly blue stuff in the middle of the picture might be the undifferentiated chaos of the darkness before creation or whatever. The white concentric sphere thing at the bottom of the painting I think is supposed to represent the essence of god or something, and the light cone that projects out of it is god's essence, a logical and pure and ordering essence, projecting itself onto those dark chaotic waters and imposing order and structure, hence the starry night sky radiating outwards from that point of contact at the top. Also god is just loving this shit, because he's god and that's what he does. I'm not any sort of religious though and I'm not well versed in theology, so I'm really just guessing based on slivers of offhand knowledge.

But yeah have you seen more of that guy's paintings? They're super cool. Thanks for letting me know of his existence, in reciprocation, look this cool painting I found on that google arts thing http://tinyurl.com/artsygreeklyre

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what you are talking about, and I had to re-read this 5 times at least, therefore Ti.

Welcome to the forum!
    Hahahah, thank you!

Though I'm sorry I wasn't able to explain myself in a clearer manner, I was a bit out of it at the time due to stress and sickness and sleep deprivation. I suppose a better way to say it would be that I like to look how how anything and everything is composed of interacting systems of ridiculous complexity on a near infinite amount of levels which aren't strictly hierarchical, and losing myself in that feeling of something like awe when you can taste the depths of it in your mind? And then trying to communicate it to other people, feeling how their perspective of the world works so you can effectively communicate what you're trying to get across in the most effective way possible by shaping the idea to the person. It's fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Amber
    duuuuude. possibly Ti dominant. Alpha , ofc.

Yeah, maybe, but the LII description kind of implied a more central level of structure than how I think I think. I tend to just absorb information and then piece together ideas after the fact, it's more like a fluid process of continuous adjustment and synthesis thing than a construction and modification of an idea thing. The LII description on the wiki mentions a predilection for unifying, central ideas, underlying reasons, that sort of thing, and I don't really empathise with that; things just sort of happen and it's fun to see how things connect to each other and build conceptual structures and compare them against each other and find new concepts as a result, but I don't necessarily expect there to be some sort of underlying cause for anything, and I don't need there to be. It's just fun and useful to see how things and ideas interact with each other.