View Poll Results: Do you believe aliens/extraterrestrials exist?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll believe it when I see one

7 13.46%
  • I do believe in aliens

23 44.23%
  • I don't believe in aliens

2 3.85%
  • I think we have made contact with aliens, the government knows, and they aren't telling the public

7 13.46%
  • I've seen a UFO/alien

7 13.46%
  • The men in black told me I can't say anything

4 7.69%
  • I am an alien

14 26.92%
  • I think aliens could actually be gods, angels, demons in history

10 19.23%
  • Aliens could be responsible for missing link

3 5.77%
  • Aliens could be real/we haven't made contact and/or it's not intelligent

17 32.69%
  • Aliens have made contact/government isn't hiding anything

0 0%
  • Other

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Do you believe aliens exist

Hybrid View

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Of course it does, but not directly as you are insinuating.

Just by the improbable fact biological life has occurred on Earth means statistically speaking the spontaneous ordering of hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and carbon must have occurred numerous times on alien worlds throughout the Universe's history. Why? Because of the sheer volume of life supporting planets that actually exists in the known Universe. Some of them have been discovered in recent years.

If life arose here than in all likelihood it is actually a very common event, we just don't have the ability to perceive life's ubiquitous nature because we are limited by our natural faculties, such as sight, smell, intelligence as well as our technologies. These can extend our ability to investigate other worlds with vision never before seen, such as viewing the universe through a gamma ray, radio, or ultraviolet telescopes. Maybe some day we will have the capacity to directly observe organized organic matter on other worlds, but for now we rely on common sense: because life occurred on our planet, against all odds, then in fact it must be quite a resilient enough phenomenon to have occurred on other planets as well.

And when did I say human life exclusively? Why could not an alien life form evolve by process of natural selection and develop higher forms of intelligence, such as developing the ability to alter its own genetic destiny, or alter the physics of its planets and space to further their own evolution?

Humans are not the center of the universe, we are just a highly evolved form of great ape that likes to be clever. Is it not incredible that a form of life reaches out into space and ponders its own existence? Its incredible, actually.

Curiosity might not be the exclusive property of mankind.
    of course it doesn't....your argument is remarkably dumb.

picture an eskimo in the arctic saying: "there's polar bears here....that increases the likelihood of there being polar bears in other parts of the world."

see how stupid....your blind optimism isn't common sense and doesn't effect statistical likelihoods.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    of course it doesn't....your argument is remarkably dumb.

picture an eskimo in the arctic saying: "there's polar bears here....that increases the likelihood of there being polar bears in other parts of the world."

see how stupid....your blind optimism isn't common sense and doesn't effect statistical likelihoods.
    Polar bears are remarkably specific. Of course there are no polar bears in other parts of the Universe!

However, the basic chemistry that caused life to occur on Earth is extremely common. The base biological elements are found in abundance everywhere in the Universe. Astronomers are discovering planets that have liquid water, AND oxygen. Carbon and hydrogen are basically the most common form of matter in the Universe...so, you have all four of these elements, then no its not blind optimism, its realistic pragmatism that life exsists elsewhere.

Your stupid rebuttal is incredibly myopic.