Thread: Type and handwriting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type and handwriting.

Could there be connection between type and handwriting? For example my introverted acquaintances are writing with a smaller handwriting than extroverted ones and intuitives have more illegible handwriting than sensorics. (thats what i have observed; because the sample size is too small to make any conclusions, i wanted to ask from you about that)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have also noticed that Fs have their handwriting more slanted and Ts have more vertical handwriting

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Type and handwriting.

There are always going to be exceptions but in a general sense I agree with what you're saying. I've also noticed that introverts tend to have larger spacing between words- more distance between themselves and others. Feelers tend to have more rounded handwriting than thinkers. Sensing types are more likely to have all of the letters connected- intuitives may have what looks more like a mix of cursive and print. Judgers handwriting looks more regular- consistent slant and baseline, and perceivers less so.

Laura INTj

Quote Originally Posted by omrat
    Could there be connection between type and handwriting? For example my introverted acquaintances are writing with a smaller handwriting than extroverted ones and intuitives have more illegible handwriting than sensorics. (thats what i have observed; because the sample size is too small to make any conclusions, i wanted to ask from you about that)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What laura said about intuitive types is true, my handwritting has always been a mixture between cursive and rpint, and I have trouble writting specifically print and specifically cursive ,,,

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I studied graphology a couple of years ago. I tried to find a corralation between type and handwriting, however I did not find any. Type may have something to do with it, but if it does it is not obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion SFs are most likely to have calligraphical handwriting, or atleast they are concerned with writing like that. I am not saying that if someone writes with a calligraphical handwriting then he/she is a xSFx, but i have observed that they have tendencies to write like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about type and legibility, any connection there (I have pretty messy handwriting, especially printing w/ lowercase, I dislike cursive immensely, it takes too much time to read and is harder to correct mistakes in.)? I write in all caps, is that more common in certain types? Do certain types write quicker than others? Hmm, maybe this is a poll idea.

SFs do seem to spend a lot of time making their handwriting cute or artistic. Especially the female SFs, but I suppose male SFs do the same thing, I don't personally know any (actually, my mom is ISFJ), I try not to associate with SFs in general. (No offense meant to SFs out there).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think intuitives have less legible handwriting than sensorics. And that people who have less legible handwriting write all caps (like me)

Creepy-.____.

I've been told by many different people that my writing is neat, legible, and some what mechanical . If the S function dominates 75% of the population and only 2 of 65 students has writing whose quality is comparable to that of mine and if the S type are supposed to have a more legible writing than I could fairly conclude that one's writing style does not determine their second function[S/N].

INTX

Creepy-.____.

But I do agree that Sensing types care more about writing aesthetics than intuitives may.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fairgeek
    How about type and legibility, any connection there (I have pretty messy handwriting, especially printing w/ lowercase, I dislike cursive immensely, it takes too much time to read and is harder to correct mistakes in.
    My handwriting is exactly like yours, except I dislike all-caps for aesthetic reasons, and I write quickly. My handwriting hasn't evolved much since I was in grade school.

And come to think of it, I knew an ENTp who would write slowly and neatly, and also was heavily perfectionistic. One mistake and he would erase and rewrite the entire word.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have lots of spaces within the words. Some of the letters are completely separated. My handwriting is quite bad. I looks awful, but most people can read it.
    I never write in caps. When I have to, I automatically switch back to lowercase. It makes writing forms very difficult and slow. Acquires immense concentration.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree - intuitive handwriting is worse than sensing. People regularly say they can't read my writing, which is a combo of cursive and printed letters. I don't like to go back to cross t's and dot i's - I stop writing and cross and dot them right away. This results in the combo cursive/printed look. I'm also lazy, don't want to take the time to carefully make each letter, so I have that typical -ing thing where it all looks like a long dash with a loop at the end.

Sometimes I can't read my own handwriting! Thank god for word processing - now I just type everything.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, my hand writting is so sloppy it is better to type them. I am left handed and tend to write slanted, but I usually write as fast as I could. Cursive writting is also very bad.
    ISFP, SEI

Creepy-

Default Graphology

Graphology being a rather developed technique for personality analyzing and, if, and only if, both socionics and this other knowledge are "true", should indeed show strong correspondence.

Theoretically many characteristics as phobia, disorders, anxiety, self-preservation, selfishness, agressivity and such are prone to be found on handwriting and long studies have been done so far in this field...

I wish i had a scanner or a camera around but centuries can pass by before I want one for anything but this in particular.

As for my own, two persons who made studies on graphology have analyzed my handwriting and found strong signs of self-preservation,shyness, fantasy, intuition and selfishness. (Insane decorations, ilegible)

Such conclusions were reached by people who weren't aware of socionics and they did many years ago.

A correlation between that an the infj's profile is likely to be feasible so researches on this field would grant easy results I can imagine.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Graphology...

Me idiot.... it was me there, I always forget to log...
    Balzac

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing around looking for graphology links on the internet and bumped into this little article:
    http://www.handwriting.org/main/articles/JF_Art1.html
    Apparently if someone has been associating handwriting to focused development of of brain zones taking HBDI tests we may be able to contrast this to the BrainTypes findings in order to find a correlation between the motor effects on written script and development of jungian functions. They even mention statistic correlation on MBTI's extraversion/intraversion asset, so this looks like fresh land to explore.

I'm too busy working right now so I shouldn't be playing on the forum but I'll do when I get home for sure. Meanwhile who feels like playing theories on these ?

Balzac

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems to line up pretty well except for a couple things. They claim that Left Brain is Exteriour focused and Right Brain is Interiour focus, but I don't think Interior/Exterior correlates to Left/Right brain. Also, they say Left Brain is secondary and Right Brain is primary. I think this is true for percievers but inverted for judgers.

Again, this is what I believe to be true for E/I:

"Extraversion and Introversion—measuring the focus and levels of energy
    Extraversion (E): activated principally in front of forebrain—anterior to central sulcus

--personality—the prefrontal cortex is the most significant area for creating one’s outward “personality”.

--Expressing language through conversation/speech (activated by Brocas [left anterior forebrain]). In general, Extraverts speak more and louder than Introverts. (Nurturing, environment, and genetic variances also affect speech patterns; thus explaining most speech differences among Extraverts [and Introverts].)

A University of California medical school used PET scans to examine brain regions of people while speaking. They looked at the brain while they (1) made nonsense syllables, (2) recited the months of the year, and (3) recited a briefly memorized prose passage. While both the "mindless" recitation of the months and the prose passage used Wernicke's area (the top back part of the temporal lobe), ONLY the prose showed activity in Broca's area. The conclusion: rote memorized verbal tasks require little thought or sophisticated cortical activity. Bookheimer, S., et al. 2000. Neurology, Vol 55(8), 1151-1157.

--voluntary motor movements (activated by primary motor cortex—anterior to central sulcus). Moving the body is an Extraverted (energy-expending) function, activated by the motor cortex.

--high degree of “attention” to outside world (principally a function of the anterior forebrain—especially right superior frontal gyrus)

--expressing emotion (left anterior forebrain)

--dopamine (a neurotransmitter that says “do it” is primarily in anterior forebrain.

--cingulate gyrus—regarded as the volition and will center (located in anterior forebrain); it causes humans to act. In addition, Extraverts are innately designed to expend energy whereas Introverts conserve it.

--planning—an integral part of taking action and expending energy.

Planning involves maintaining one main goal while working on sub-goals for that main goal. This is apparently one of the unique human brain functions. The National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland has published findings that show that that particular task is performed in the most anterior part of the frontal lobes called the fronto- polar prefrontal cortex. Koechlin et. al, Nature 1999, vol 399(6732) 148-151.

Introversion (I): activated principally in back of brain—posterior to central sulcus

--understanding and comprehension of language (processed in left temporal lobe—Wernickes)

--5 senses (taking in world around self)

--touch and pressure (parietal lobe—which controls the primary sensory cortex.

Behind the primary sensory cortex is a large association area that controls fine sensation—weight, size, shape, etc.)

--smell and sound (temporal lobe)

--sight (occipital lobe)

--long-term memory—stored primarily posterior to central sulcus

--neuroscientists now suspect there are 4 separate memory systems in the brain (rather than one as long believed). Conscious memory of facts and events—hippocampus; associative learning (like Pavlovian conditioning)—cerebellum; emotional memories—amygdala; memories of learned skills—basal ganglia. These are posterior brain regions.

--In Alzheimer’s disease, long-term memory fades as the posterior brain cells die

--self awareness (parietal lobe)

--Introverts conserve energy whereas Extraverts expend it.

--reading (posterior region)

Dr. Kenneth Pugh, Psychiatrist and Medical Researcher at Yale, has been studying the neural pathways which are generated in good readers. When the brain is asked to go from the listening and speaking modes to the visual spatial, yet abstract production of reading, new relationships between regions in the cortex are formed. This is true for all written languages. Skilled readers have engineered neural networks, which take the visual sensory input from "eye to meaning" in about 150 milliseconds. This is done through the dominant path of the eye to three posterior gyrus (areas in the back half of the cortex). The lingual, fusiform and angular gyrus collaborate to convert letters into meaning."

~ BrainTypes.com
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.cambourne10.com/cogniive_preferences.pdf

Here's i just found a study about correlation of HDBI test results with MBTI indicators.... MBTI does not has to fit socionics anyhow but never heard of anyone who couldn't match their socionic Club with their MBTI "Club" as well.

...The conclusion it comes to in the end is that Clubs have a correlation, so if any extensive research takes place about Socionics and Handwriting an interesting spot to start by is by relating scripts to Clubs.

NT = A-D
    ST = A-B
    SF = B-C
    NF = D-C

But this doesn't really relate I/E assets... Maybe INTx are more A-biased and ENTx are more D biased...? I'm not sure what this would mean.. or if it can be contrasted properly with BT results... The associated functions of the HDBI are contradictory with the BT ones. I sort of trust BT a little more...

I'm starting reading my graphology book right when I get home
    Balzac

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.geocities.com/player2000g..._functions.htm

According to this, Ni is found in the left brain, BUT she is using MBTI definitions for functions. If that's the case, than what she really tested was that the dominant functions for INTJs and INFJs (what she would think of as Ni) is in the left brian. And if socionics is right, than an INTJ would have Ti for a dominant function and INFJ would have Fi for a dominant function. This would make me believe further that both T anf F dominant types are strongest in the left brain.

NOTE: She claims left brain is introversion and right brain is extraversion, which is the opposite of the handwriting table above. This would suggest that neither is right in placing E/I in the left and right hemispheres, but E/I relates to Front/Back.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Koneko
    NT = A-D
    ST = A-B
    SF = B-C
    NF = D-C
    If...
    A= Thinking
    B= Sensing
    C= Feeling
    D= Intuition

then all thinkers and sensors would be left brain, and all intuition and feelers would be right brain? This doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Or ENTP would be D followed by A.... but then they are ignoring I/E. Also, an ISFP (Fi and Se in MBTI) would be right brained according to this (and me) but Fi is NOT an ISFPs dominant function in socionics, it is Si. That would make sense, but then why would they consider ESFP left brained....
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a rough model of this...

ENTP

Left||Right
    | Fe || Ne | Front
    | Te || Se | Brain

| Ti || Si | Back
    | Fi || Ni | Brain

INTJ

Left||Right
    | Fe || Ne | Front
    | Te || Se | Brain

| Ti || Si | Back
    | Fi || Ni | Brain

INTP

Left||Right
    | Te || Se | Front
    | Fe || Ne | Brain

| Fi || Ni | Back
    | Ti || Si | Brain

ENTJ

Left||Right
    | Te || Se | Front
    | Fe || Ne | Brain

| Fi || Ni | Back
    | Ti || Si | Brain

Dominant
    Creative
    Dual-Seeking
    Hidden Agenda
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right Brain= Perseptive, adaptable, process-oriented, rythmic
    Left Brain= Judging, ordered, sequential, control
    Front Brain= Extravert
    Back Brain= Introvert

ExxPs are strongest in the right, forebrain.
    IxxPs are strongest in the right, back brain.
    ExxJs are strongest in the left, forebrain.
    IxxJs are strongest in the left, back brain.

This all seems to correlate to Socionics.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My handwritting sucks about as bad as any other intuitive ... mixture between print and cursive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what would happen after a lobotomy to the hidden agenda area
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

//

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NFp-
    My handwriting resembles that of Globus Pallidus' with a bit of Brain Stem's.
    Same here >.>
    Balzac

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taz I write slanted also... It depends though, my writing really can differ depending on the expediancy required. I think ISTPs maybe have the most varied type of writing. Mine has always been messy even though at times I could put in effort to be neat.

My Dad is ESTJ... When he writes traffic tickets the writing is flawless.

Absolutely flawless. Hidden agenda is to be perfect after all!
    {♠x<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸IcEPiCk¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>x♠ }

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edited

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

editedd

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can write reasonably nicely, but for the most part, my hand writing is aweful. Growing up I was told by other students that I had "boy" handwriting. Now I think it almost looks like 10 year old handwriting most of the time. I should do something about that....
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My handwriting is not all that neat but easily read, and is a mix of cursive and non-cursive. I write quicky and sometimes miss letters.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm my handwriting is odd. I can write comparably neat (but it still irregular and impulsive), but it will inevitably degenerate after a page into readable but fairly sloppy style. If I take notes, then it might border on "illegible" though.

I can't understand those SF girls in school though that wrote very neatly. Unbelievable. Oh and cursive is for people who want to prove our ancestry with the chimps I have not used cursive since my first two or three years in school. I write faster and better without it so...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    And come to think of it, I knew an ENTp who would write slowly and neatly, and also was heavily perfectionistic. One mistake and he would erase and rewrite the entire word.
    Hey I do that! INFp. Only I don't write slow or fast, just normal.
    <--- Me pouring out all my love on you!

Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My handwriting is very messy, very bad. If I can get up a scanner, I will give you the perfect example: A poem I wrote when I was supposed to be doing work in English class. Full of scratched-out words, letters replaced by printing the correct letter very heavily over it, writing that looks like the lines are trampolines, cramping at the end of the lines...
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

(Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)