Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default James Byron Dean

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dean

Quotes by James Dean:

"Only the gentle are ever really strong."

"If a man can bridge the gap between life and death, . if he can live on after he's dead, then maybe he was a great man."

"To grasp the full significance of life is the actor's duty; to interpret it his problem; and to express it his dedication. Being an actor is the loneliest thing in the world. You are all alone with your concentration and imagination, and that's all you have. Being a good actor isn't easy. Being a man is even harder. I want to be both before I'm done."

"Dream as if you'll live forever.
    Live as if you'll die today."

"Studying cows, pigs and chickens can help an actor develop his character. There are a lot of things I learned from animals. One was that they couldn't hiss or boo me.
    I also became close to nature, and am now able to appreciate the beauty with which this world is endowed."

"How can you measure acting in inches?!?" (when told he was too short to be an actor) James Dean's actual height was 5'8"

"Trust and belief are two prime considerations. You must not allow yourself to be opinionated. You must say, 'Wait. Let me see.' And above all, you must be honest with yourself."
    — to Hedda Hopper

"There is no way to be truly great in this world. We are all impaled on the crook of conditioning. A fish that is in the water has no choice that he is. Genius would have it that we swim in sand. We are fish and we drown."

"An actor must interpret life, and in order to do so must be willing to accept all the experiences life has to offer. In fact, he must seek out more of life than life puts at his feet. In the short span of his lifetime, an actor must learn all there is to know, experience all there is to experience, or approach that state as closely as possible. He must be superhuman in his efforts to store away in the core of his subconscious everything that he might be called upon to use in the expression of his art."

"The gratification comes in the doing,
    not in the results."

"When an actor plays a scene exactly the way a director orders, it isn't acting. It's following instructions. Anyone with the physical qualifications can do that. So the director's task is just that - to direct, to point the way. Then the actor takes over. And he must be allowed the space, the freedom to express himself in the role. Without that space, an actor is no more than an unthinking robot with a chest-full of push-buttons."

"It was an accident, although I've been involved in some kind of theatrical function or other since I was a child - in school, music, athletics. To me, acting is the most logical way for people's neuroses to manifest themselves, in this great need we all have to express ourselves. To my way of thinking, an actor's course is set even before he's out of the cradle."

"Since I'm only 24 years old, guess I have as good an insight into this rising generation as any other young man my age. And I've discovered that most young men do not stand like ramrods or talk like Demosthenes. Therefore, when I do play a youth, such as in Warner Bros. Rebel Without A Cause, I try to imitate life. The picture deals with the problems of modern youth. It is the romanticized conception of the juvenile that causes much of our trouble with misguided youth nowadays. I think the one thing this picture shows that's new is the psychological disproportion of the kids' demands on the parents. Parents are often at fault, but the kids have some work to do, too. But you can't show some far off idyllic conception of behavior if you want the kids to come and see the picture. You've got to show what it's really like, and try to reach them on their own grounds. You know, a lot of times an older boy, one of the fellows the young ones idolize, can go back to the high school kids and tell them, "Look what happened to me! Why be a punk and get in trouble with the law?Why do these senseless things just for a thrill?" I hope "Rebel Without A Cause" will do something like that. I hope it will remind them that other people have feelings. Perhaps they will say, "What do we need all that for?"If a picture is psychologically motivated, if there is truth in the relationship in it, then I think that picture will do good.
    I firmly believe Rebel Without A Cause is such a picture."
    — from an interview at a preview of Rebel Without A Cause
    Quotes About James Dean

Quoted about James Dean

"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."
    — Elizabeth Taylor

"[Dean's] death caused a loss in the movie world that our industry could ill afford. Had he lived long enough, I feel he would have made some incredible films. He had sensitivity and a capacity to express emotion."
    — Gary Cooper

"I didn't know what to do. How do you tell an eight-year-old boy his mother's going to die? I tried. In my own stumbling way I tried to prepare Jim for it. Nowadays, he lives in a world we don't understand too well, the actor's world. We don't see too much of him. But he's a good boy, my Jim. A good boy, and I"m very proud of him. Not easy to understand, no sir. He's not easy to understand. But he's all man, and he'll make his mark. Mind you, my boy will make his mark."
    -Winton Dean

Source and more quotes at http://www.jamesdean.com/about/quotes.html
    Last edited by Aster; 11-11-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LSI- Se sp last

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot as fucking hell and smart as shit.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no idea how insightful, understanding, astute, and philosophical he was. Seems like the kind of guy I'd want to get to know.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy... I'm in love.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESFp - the exact opposite of me; smart in the exact opposite way, sensitive in the exact opposite way, and really strong-willed (maybe in the exact opposite way). I would say too empathic to be LSI or SLE and too strong-willed to not be Se-ego. And for the 'haters' out there who don't get my typing system: Dean is not my LSI: but this is:

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI 4w5 sx/sp

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    LSI 4w5 sx/sp
    I am trying to look at this objectively here. In other words, where's the Ti? I see it in Spock. I honestly don't see it in James Dean at all...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I am trying to look at this objectively here. In other words, where's the Ti? I see it in Spock. I honestly don't see it in James Dean at all...
    James Dean IS ​Ti, that's all he speaks. Where do you see Ti in Spock?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just watched an interview with James Dean and I see more of it in real life; it's not his vocation or his insights that are 'Ti', but his reserved soft-spoken demeanor. I agree; strong-willed but too reserved to be ESFp or ESTp. It's more like how I could come across as 'inventor' to a lot of people because my ideas are so 'Ne' - but the fact of the matter is that I'm way too reserved to be an ENTp or ENFp - just like Dean with Se! (And I'm clearly not reserved the way ILEs like Einstein or Daniel Dennett are either...)

As for Spock: logic seems to be his most definitive trait, but not like someone who is business logic like Milton Friedman or Bill Gates. Therefore, I type him as Ti-leading. He is also quite strong-willed and has weak emotions. This leads me to believe LSI. The only clear argument against LSI is his disdain for emotions in general. Therefore, he could be SLI, but I simply see much more Se in him than Si, and ESTp simply isn't a possibility...

I guess the bottom line is that as LII, both Dean and Spock (as LSIs) rub me a little bit the wrong way, but not in a big way like ESTp Marlon Brando (who I confused Dean with before)...
    Last edited by jason_m; 12-03-2016 at 05:06 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI Sx/So. Not too good with Enneagram

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI-Ni 4w3 sx/so

Yeah that feels like it.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LSI-Se works.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EII
    Last edited by vesstheastralsilky; 12-01-2018 at 01:38 AM.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI Se. Out of all celebrities, this one is my doppelganger.

I see myself when I look into his eyes.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James Dean - ESFP - Napoleon

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way to type him is through documentaries and based off of the people who knew him the most, sounds like SEE. He was known to those who knew him to be present (Se) and have visceral emotions (Fi). He loved thrills and speed like with racing but he was also poetic and artistic because his mother gave him those interests (suggestive Ni). He was well loved by her and watched her die when he was 9. Her death was something he never emotionally recovered from and he used that sense of vulnerability to push with his realistic acting. He had an obsession with how he appeared on camera and would not allow anyone to photograph him unless he approved of how he appeared and it had to “mirror” how he saw himself (demo Fe in support of creative Fi).

https://youtu.be/jVQKc0avl2Q

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was a probable LSI-Se, one that was depressed and precocious (i was physically, but not intellctual precocious as I'm a Gamma not subtyped towards Beta; Deltas are the least intellectual). I don't really find much value or accuracy in his statements though (other than that only the gentle are ever really strong).
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.