Thread: Dialectical-Algorithmic thinking

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    It is kind of like a balancing act. For me, it's about weighing different facts before I draw conclusions. Enough facts get weighed and I have the impetus to act on them. I kind of visualize it as two ribbons that converge at a certain point, and the point of convergence is where the conclusion is drawn. The OP kind of helps me understand EIE better.

This is really interesting that you say that, this is close to how I visualize it. I have said in the past that DA is like a Möbius strip. Two opposites linked together.

The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It is kind of like a balancing act. For me, it's about weighing different facts before I draw conclusions. Enough facts get weighed and I have the impetus to act on them. I kind of visualize it as two ribbons that converge at a certain point, and the point of convergence is where the conclusion is drawn. The OP kind of helps me understand EIE better.
    That's very similar to how I tend to make important decisions. Once enough data has been gathered the "choice" is essentially made for me. It all points towards the "correct" course of action and thus all that's left is to just do it.

I may not like that conclusion and/or wish there was some other way to get the job done but the data doesn't lie and it says do X if you want to get Y with any reasonable degree of certainty. Thus, I can shall do X. Well, unless X is a categorically immoral act in my mind. is a hell of a drug and I'm a man of principles if nothing else...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaemonia View Post
    This is really interesting that you say that, this is close to how I visualize it. I have said in the past that DA is like a Möbius strip. Two opposites linked together.

The only difference is that a Mobius strip is one complete unit, while DA cognition stems from two units.

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, wouldn't it more look like this or maybe no?

Neraca-Ohaus.jpg
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only difference is that a Mobius strip is one complete unit, while DA cognition stems from two units.

A strip with two sides and a single boundary curve.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to learn about 'cognitive styles' but when I hear words like 'Dialectical-Algorithmic' my brain goes 'ew' and shuts down. Dialectical-Algorithmic thinking, whatever it is- definitely doesn't need to be called that and can be explained in a way which satisfies my Ni. Can't wait until socionics becomes mainstream. Would make school so much better.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by None View Post
    I would like to learn about 'cognitive styles' but when I hear words like 'Dialectical-Algorithmic' my brain goes 'ew' and shuts down. Dialectical-Algorithmic thinking, whatever it is- definitely doesn't need to be called that and can be explained in a way which satisfies my Ni. Can't wait until socionics becomes mainstream. Would make school so much better.
    LOL I agree ‘dialectical algorithmic’ sounds wacky as hell. The cognitive styles could use a revamp

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

'Algorithmic' is enough to understand what the cognitive style is about, if you know how an algorithm works, then this is what this style is about. 'If'-'then'-'else' statements are the basis of any algorithm. (Google what a Turing machine is if you do not know)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12