Thread: Favorite poems and quotations.

Ultrarevolutionary Omniversalism RaptorWizard XD001's Avatar
    TIM
    Bunny XD001 Lugia
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Unless you make yourself equal to God, you cannot understand God: for the like is not intelligible save to the like. Make yourself grow to a greatness beyond measure, by a bound free yourself from the body; raise yourself above all time, become Eternity; then you will understand God. Believe that nothing is impossible for you, think yourself immortal and capable of understanding all, all arts, all sciences, the nature of every living being. Mount higher than the highest height; descend lower than the lowest depth. Draw into yourself all sensations of everything created, fire and water, dry and moist, imagining that you are everywhere, on earth, in the sea, in the sky, that you are not yet born, in the maternal womb, adolescent, old, dead, beyond death. If you embrace in your thought all things at once, times, places, substances, qualities, quantities, you may understand God.”
    ― Giordano Bruno
    EagleFangKarate (webstarts.com)
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...logy-articles)
    Kara (the16types.info)
    Pokemon is somewhere fun over the Rainbow emblazoned by the Power of Forever. The clouds soar and the island escalates a Meganium petal dance tempest blizzarding ashes and sunshine. Evanescence sparkles glistening auroras of mirth and high frequency channels embarking with the winds of new beginnings. This magical adventure turns on at the dawn of time in 2000. Ceremony and enchantment dazzle the world with colors galore. Mania and extravagance shape shift and transform into the greatest show on earth, the evolution of Pokemon!!*
    resonate with the right intensity/mentality for the Pokemon Macroversal Tournament
    Loving Bunny more ups Her power

Mentioned
    891 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    SEI-Fe 6w7 Sp/sx
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Innocence is beauty. Ignorance is death" -Yana Toboso

Mentioned
    891 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ugh ffs. ya

“The arrogance of wanting to be loved had emerged only now it was unreciprocated—I was left alone with my desire, defenseless, beyond the law, shockingly crude in my demands: Love me! And for what reason? I had only the usual paltry, insufficient excuse: Because I love you.”
    ― Alain de Botton, On Love

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    ugh ffs. ya

“The arrogance of wanting to be loved had emerged only now it was unreciprocated—I was left alone with my desire, defenseless, beyond the law, shockingly crude in my demands: Love me! And for what reason? I had only the usual paltry, insufficient excuse: Because I love you.”
    ― Alain de Botton, On Love
    This guy's name sounds like something the French do behind closed doors.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Science Fiction. Or maybe from a long historical line of human apocalyptic stories:

It was said that a berserker could if required assume even a pleasing shape. But there was no such requirement here. Flashing through the billion-starred silence, it was massive and dark and purely functional in design. It was a planet-buster of a machine headed for the world called Corlano to pound its cities to rubble, to eradicate its entire biosphere. It possessed the ability to do this without exceptional difficulty, so that no subtlety, no guile, no reliance on fallible goodlife were required. It had its directive, it had its weapons.

It never wondered why this should be the way of its kind. It never questioned the directive. It never speculated whether it might be, in its own fashion, itself a lifeform, albeit artificial. It was a single-minded killing machine, and if purpose may be considered a virtue it was to this extent virtuous.

Almost unnecessarily, its receptors scanned far ahead. It knew that Corlano did not possess extraordinary defenses. It anticipated no difficulties on this count.

Who hath drawn the circuits for the lion?

-Roger Zelazny

TIM
    ILI? - Ne?
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You want me to understand your sadness? You think I'm gonna sympathize with you? I swore to protect my daughter and my friends. If someone puts them in danger, they must stand aside or be cut down!"

- Nier, to his tragic enemy.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I know when I'm on track
    that is, when every-thing is in a harmonious relationship to what I regard as the best I've got in me.
    Joseph Campbell. Reflections on the Art of Living [1991]

Mentioned
    891 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

26. Plants do not actually sleep. Nor do they lie or even bluff. They do, however, expose their genitalia.

Anne carson

TIM
    Bunny XD001 Lugia
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Albert Einstein on God
    Published on Feb 11, 2010

Your question is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's Pantheism. I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers, because he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and the body as one, not as two separate things.
    Kara (the16types.info)
    Pokemon is somewhere fun over the Rainbow emblazoned by the Power of Forever. The clouds soar and the island escalates a Meganium petal dance tempest blizzarding ashes and sunshine. Evanescence sparkles glistening auroras of mirth and high frequency channels embarking with the winds of new beginnings. This magical adventure turns on at the dawn of time in 2000. Ceremony and enchantment dazzle the world with colors galore. Mania and extravagance shape shift and transform into the greatest show on earth, the evolution of Pokemon!!*
    resonate with the right intensity/mentality for the Pokemon Macroversal Tournament

Mentioned
    891 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Roland Barthes

Mentioned
    891 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Jonas Mekas

Mentioned
    891 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Fariha Róisín

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'When a summit of life is reached, the bud unfolds and from the lesser the greater emerges...' Carl Jung

TIM
    Bunny XD001 Lugia
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O thou, my Will! Thou change of every need, MY needfulness! Preserve me from all small victories!

Thou fatedness of my soul, which I call fate! Thou In-me! Over-me! Preserve and spare me for one great fate!

And thy last greatness, my Will, spare it for thy last--that thou mayest be inexorable IN thy victory! Ah, who hath not succumbed to his victory!

Ah, whose eye hath not bedimmed in this intoxicated twilight! Ah, whose foot hath not faltered and forgotten in victory--how to stand!--

--That I may one day be ready and ripe in the great noontide: ready and ripe like the glowing ore, the lightning-bearing cloud, and the swelling milk-udder:--

--Ready for myself and for my most hidden Will: a bow eager for its arrow, an arrow eager for its star:--

--A star, ready and ripe in its noontide, glowing, pierced, blessed, by annihilating sun-arrows:--

--A sun itself, and an inexorable sun-will, ready for annihilation in victory!

O Will, thou change of every need, MY needfulness! Spare me for one great victory!---

Thus spake Zarathustra.
    Kara (the16types.info)

TIM
    ILI-D
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.

Rumi
    ​"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools." ―Thucydides

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“If someone is not treating you with love and respect, it is a gift if they walk away from you. If that person doesn't walk away, you will surely endure many years of suffering with him or her. Walking away may hurt for a while, but your heart will eventually heal. Then you can choose what you really want. You will find that you don't need to trust others as much as you need to trust yourself to make the right choices.”
    Don Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    Bunny XD001 Lugia
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anakin's One Dream Poem | The Phantom Menace 20th Anniversary.

What if dreams came true, and you could be who you wanted to be
    You could do what you wanted to do
    And you could help who you wanted to help
    What if dreams came true, and the world opened up
    And you were never, ever afraid
    What if dreams came true, but dreams do come true, don't they?
    Kara (the16types.info)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Periphrasis is the putting of things in a round-about way. "The cost may be
    upwards of a figure rather below 10m#." is a periphrasis for The cost may be
    nearly 10m#. "In Paris there reigns a complete absence of really reliable
    news" is a periphrasis for There is no reliable news in Paris. "Rarely does
    the 'Little Summer' linger until November, but at times its stay has been
    prolonged until quite late in the year's penultimate month" contains a
    periphrasis for November, and another for lingers. "The answer is in the
    negative" is a periphrasis for No. "Was made the recipient of" is a
    periphrasis for Was presented with. The periphrasis style is hardly possible
    on any considerable scale without much use of abstract nouns such as "basis,
    case, character, connexion, dearth, description, duration, framework, lack,
    nature, reference, regard, respect". The existence of abstract nouns is a
    proof that abstract thought has occurred; abstract thought is a mark of
    civilized man; and so it has come about that periphrasis and civilization are
    by many held to be inseparable. These good people feel that there is an almost
    indecent nakedness, a reversion to barbarism, in saying No news is good news
    instead of "The absence of intelligence is an indication of satisfactory
    developments."
    -- Fowler's English
    φιλοκαλοῦμέν τε γὰρ μετ᾽ εὐτελείας καὶ φιλοσοφοῦμεν ἄνευ μαλακίας.

It’s hard to translate this literally and poetically into English, but this is my attempt at a translation: “For we love beauty, that we attain good ends thereby, and we love wisdom, though not in a way that makes us soft, nor that causes us to value weakness.”

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

“This is a story about love and adventure...”
    -Frank Herbert, age eight.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it is in vain to fight them

But at least I can look myself in the eye

I will fall honorably like a field cavalry

I will not disappear quietly, I will at least bruise them

I know they have thick covers

But my word will leave a mark and reach them

I will defeat their hatred in my eyes

These lines fill me with hope whenever I listen to this song.

I am completely optimistic

Although the light at the end of the tunnel can be a train

Instead of a wall I will make a bridge

If you think the same, be my guest

No one will come, nothing will fall from the sky

We are the ones we have been waiting for

(taken from Gori by Frenkie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxxhGtgIeP8 )

The last quoted lines send a bittersweet theme of hope and optimism that resonate the most with me.

TIM
    ILE-pars pro toto
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anitigonish

"Yesterday, upon the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there!
    He wasn't there again today,
    Oh how I wish he'd go away!

When I came home last night at three
    The man was waiting there for me
    But when I looked around the hall,
    I couldn't see him there at all!
    Go away, go away, don't you come back any more!
    Go away, go away, and please don't slam the door...

Last night I saw upon the stair,
    A little man who wasn't there,
    He wasn't there again today
    Oh, how I wish he'd go away..

-William Hughes Mearns
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."

-Carl Jung

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718