Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: cool documentaries

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hesitant to post a clip because it's pretty dark yet so beautiful, and real, forcing the watchers to look at what is actually going on in the world... anyway the non-narrative documentary Baraka is beyond beautiful. It's dated now (1992), but... it's so good.

From wiki- "Baraka is a documentary film with no narrative or voice-over. It explores themes via a compilation of natural events, life, human activities and technological phenomena shot in 24 countries on six continents over a 14-month period."

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

There's a new Adam Curtis documentary - a series of 6 episodes about 75 minutes each.

I've seen one episode so far and it was generally as incoherent as his other stuff, but interesting nonetheless.

The episodes are on Youtube (although I notice at least one is unavailable due to a copyright violation claim by the BBC - that may just be a UK-thing. Maybe you can find missing episodes elsewhere).

Wikipedia: Can't Get You Out of My Head (TV series)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...nlZBDvaQ7baH7B

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    There's a new Adam Curtis documentary - a series of 6 episodes about 75 minutes each.

I've seen one episode so far and it was generally as incoherent as his other stuff, but interesting nonetheless.

The episodes are on Youtube (although I notice at least one is unavailable due to a copyright violation claim by the BBC - that may just be a UK-thing. Maybe you can find missing episodes elsewhere).

Wikipedia: Can't Get You Out of My Head (TV series)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...nlZBDvaQ7baH7B

I watched it and listened to some of his interviews (there's a very short one with Russell Brand and some hour-long ones).

His argument is that the rise of individualism has led to the decline in political participation. With politicians having lost their traditional support base, they had no choice but to turn to big business and the financial sector. We have more individualism now, but we are only free to express it within the limiting confines of the technocratic and managerial systems established by these entities.

Overall, he elaborates on the themes he introduced in "Century of the Self". He goes back-and-forth between the different stories a lot and doesn't tie up some loose ends, and I can see why some people might think it was incoherent.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    I watched it and listened to some of his interviews (there's a very short one with Russell Brand and some hour-long ones).

His argument is that the rise of individualism has led to the decline in political participation. With politicians having lost their traditional support base, they had no choice but to turn to big business and the financial sector. We have more individualism now, but we are only free to express it within the limiting confines of the technocratic and managerial systems established by these entities.

Overall, he elaborates on the themes he introduced in "Century of the Self". He goes back-and-forth between the different stories a lot and doesn't tie up some loose ends, and I can see why some people might think it was incoherent.
    Some episodes were stronger than others, including the last one, but overall, it didn't seem as good as some of his previous stuff.

I think watching this parody years ago verbalised some doubts I had about his style that I couldn't put into words.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not take a look at any of the other documentaries in this thread: I will however say that this is the most important documentary you can probably watch today.

The rest of the series can be found on Paul Grignon's channel's channel here.

For those of you who are literate I recommend the works of Richard Werner.

For those of you who are super literate I recommend the works of Ezra Pound.

TIM
    Intuitive
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything by Werner Herzog really. Grizzly Man, Into the Abyss, Encounters at the End of the World, Lessons of Darkness are all great ones. Very dark, but great.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not fully certain of my sociotype
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not fully certain of my sociotype
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)