Thread: cool documentaries

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Forces of Nature

"Forces of Nature is a four-part television documentary series presented by physicist Brian Cox. The series was co-produced by BBC Studios, PBS and France Télévisions and originally aired in the United Kingdom weekly from 4 July 2016 at 21:00 on BBC One. The documentary series couples high-definition cinematography with calm and methodical narration, uncovering how some of our planet's most beautiful sights and events are created by the underlying forces of nature."

1. The Universe in a Snowflake
    2. Somewhere in Spacetime
    3. The Moth and the Flame
    4. The Pale Blue Dot

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@thehotelambush recently started a thread about one of Adam Curtis's documentaries (The Century of the Self). His latest documentary (HyperNormalisation) seems to have appeared on the BBC's iplayer just yesterday (it probably hasn't appeared on live TV yet). Someone has posted it to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFtsrjlsclQ (...I imagine it is far more likely to get taken down soon after the "official" release...)

For some reason, it is 5 minutes shorter than the iplayer version, even though the very beginning and the very end sections are the same (no idea why).

(I've not seen it yet myself!)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Lost Tribes Of Humanity

"Alice Roberts explores the latest discoveries in the study of human origins, revealing the transformation that has been brought about in this field by genetics.

Traditional paleo-anthropology, based on fossils, is being transformed by advanced genome sequencing techniques. We now know that there were at least four other distinct species of human on the planet at the same time as us - some of them identified from astonishingly well-preserved DNA extracted from 50,000-year-old bones, others hinted at by archaic sections of DNA hidden in our modern genome. What's more, we now know that our ancestors met and interacted with these other humans, in ways that still have ramifications today. Alice uses these revelations to update our picture of the human family tree."

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i don't know if this has been posted in here yet but i just watched this on netflix and holyyyy shittt. the stuff on the arizona side of the border isn't all that interesting but the stuff about the autodefensas and the corruption is insane.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Gravity And Me: The Force That Shapes Our Lives - presented by Jim Al-Khalili.

The last five minutes were especially interesting. Rather than Gravity affecting Time, Time may be the cause of Gravity: "Everything likes to live where it'll age the most slowly, and gravity pulls it there." ~ Kip Thorne

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I probably watched this in January when it was on TV, but I just found a link that has it (it has Russian subtitles on though, which may be a nuisance):

David Bowie: The Last Five Years (2017)

Info about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/...6-a22f1353c8cf

It is a follow-up to the BBC documentary David Bowie: Five Years (2013), although it isn't really necessary to watch that first.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I just watched I Am Jane Doe on Netflix. It's about sex trafficked teen girls being sold on Backpage and the legal battle against the website. It raised question marks in my mind about freedom on the internet...the law protecting Backpage has to do with websites having immunity from things posted by third parties even if it's illegal or harmful, which i would have been unequivocally in favor of if you asked me yesterday. I don't know what the ramifications of amending the law would be, but sure enough when I googled "amend 203" after watching, all that came up was companies wanting to be able to have bad reviews taken down, which, whatever fuck them. In the case of Backpage the argument is that they implicitly encourage pimps to sell underage girls with the wording of their rules. And with the way the law currently stands, they can totally get away with that.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MONDO CANE (1962)

"A "shockumentary" consisting of a collection of mostly real archive footage displaying mankind at its most depraved and perverse, displaying bizarre rites, cruel behaviour and bestial violence."

"All the scenes in this film are true and are taken only from life. If often they are shocking it is because there are many shocking things in this world"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5U8UbWqsk

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had a rough time with the first 30-45 min, but then started getting into it and was enthralled through the second half (although full disclosure: the pot showed up about an hour through it ).

ends up being an interesting weaving of what's happened in the Middle East with Western society digitally crawling up it's own ass.
    Last edited by bgbg; 07-18-2017 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    @thehotelambush recently started a thread about one of Adam Curtis's documentaries (The Century of the Self). His latest documentary (HyperNormalisation) seems to have appeared on the BBC's iplayer just yesterday (it probably hasn't appeared on live TV yet). Someone has posted it to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFtsrjlsclQ (...I imagine it is far more likely to get taken down soon after the "official" release...)

For some reason, it is 5 minutes shorter than the iplayer version, even though the very beginning and the very end sections are the same (no idea why).

(I've not seen it yet myself!)
    doh, i didn't bother to scroll up.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

soviet union

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Art of Japanese Life presented by James Fox

1. Nature
    2. Cities
    3. Home

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HBO Risky Drinking Documentary (Alcoholism in America)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    snip
    Quote Originally Posted by bgdjf View Post
    snip
    I just finished watching Adam Curtis' excellent Bitter Lake from 2015. Definitely worth taking a look at, if only to get a sense of why the West has effectively lost in Afghanistan, what the Taliban really are, and why the Taliban have never been (or will ever be) defeated.

But the most interesting part was the stark similarity in the propaganda espoused by both the Soviets and the West during their invasions, i.e. that they were imposing a modern political-economic system (their own) to help uplift these oppressed, pitiable people. His conclusion is that the vision we offered Afghanistan of an ideal future was as vacuous and as overly-simplistic as the Soviet Union's, the not-so-subtle implication being that what we attempted to create was a reflection of our own nihilistic and increasingly dysfunctional society.

It's also worth noting, since few media outlets bother pointing it out, that this fourth Anglo-Afghan war has also been the fourth British defeat in that unforgiving country -- the deservedly nicknamed "graveyard of empires."

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post

the audio on this version is really bad (I was wondering at all the dramatic silent video it kept going to until about 40 minutes in when the narration straight up cuts out in the middle of a sequence.) I need to find a better version of this one to watch.

edit: after the first few minutes this one has better audio but it's 15 minutes shorter and the letterboxing shimmies around in parts like a tweaker on his 5th day being up .

Last edited by bgbg; 07-18-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just finished watching Adam Curtis' excellent Bitter Lake from 2015. Definitely worth taking a look at, if only to get a sense of why the West has effectively lost in Afghanistan, what the Taliban really are, and why the Taliban have never been (or will ever be) defeated.

But the most interesting part was the stark similarity in the propaganda espoused by both the Soviets and the West during their invasions, i.e. that they were imposing a modern political-economic system (their own) to help uplift these oppressed, pitiable people. His conclusion is that the vision we offered Afghanistan of an ideal future was as vacuous and as overly-simplistic as the Soviet Union's, the not-so-subtle implication being that what we attempted to create was a reflection of our own nihilistic and increasingly dysfunctional society.

It's also worth noting, since few media outlets bother pointing it out, that this fourth Anglo-Afghan war has also been the fourth British defeat in that unforgiving country -- the deservedly nicknamed "graveyard of empires."
    jesus, that last quarter of it when he explained the clusterfuck that the brittish got into by assuming anyone who shot at them was taliban . also, i cringed for western society when that woman is teaching the afgan women about the urinal art piece.

I've read woodwords books about the american administrations (bush and obamas) inner workings of the post 9/11 wars, this video was a good filling in of some of the historical background and what was happening on the ground there.
    Last edited by bgbg; 07-20-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jesus, that last quarter of it when he explained the clusterfuck that the brittish got into by assuming anyone who shot at them was taliban . also, i cringed for western society over that woman teaching the afgan women about the urinal art piece.

I've read woodwords books about the american administrations (bush and obamas) inner workings of the post 9/11 wars, this video was a good filling in of some of the historical background and what was happening on the ground there.
    cool... I haven't read it; will probably check it out. and yes, "clusterfuck" is the right word for the past sixteen years of foreign policy total skullfuckery.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool... I haven't read it; will probably check it out. and yes, "clusterfuck" is the right word for the past sixteen years of foreign policy total skullfuckery.
    they aren't very exciting. both i've read are basically step by step recallings (sometimes laboriously) of the meetings, political moves, and mindsets from interviews of the primaries of both administrations, but i did come out of them with a better sense of what was happening at the top level behind the scenes through those eras.
    Last edited by bgbg; 07-18-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they aren't very exciting. both i've read are basically step by step recallings (sometimes laboriously) of the meetings, political moves, and mindsets from interviews of the primaries of both administrations, but i did come out of them with a better sense of what was happening at the top level behind the scenes through those eras.
    Sounds like every academic history book, ever.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have liked more on the counterculture side of this, but it still held my interest.
    Last edited by bgbg; 07-24-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The Secret Life of Chaos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0OJ7ICgr04

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Harry Potter: A History of Magic

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x66r6yq

"It is 20 years since JK Rowling's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone first cast its spell on readers across the globe. But Rowling's fantastical creation wasn't entirely make-believe.

In the run up to the exhibition Harry Potter: A History of Magic, JK Rowling ventures behind the scenes of the British Library, revealing the real-life counterparts to her fantastical world. From shrieking mandrakes and Elizabethan invisibility spells to the mystery of ancient Chinese oracle bones and the real life search for the Philosopher's Stone, it is the start of a warm, playful and inventive journey round some of the most magical places in the land - from wizarding wandmakers in the English forest to the beguiling witchcraft of Boscastle, Cornwall.

The film features readings by actors from the Harry Potter films, including David Thewlis, Evanna Lynch, Warwick Davis, Miriam Margolyes and Mark Williams, while Rowling's illustrator Jim Kay illuminates her imaginary world. Narrated by Imelda Staunton."

All Potterheads will like this. The last ten minutes were especially incredible.
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 10-14-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never really believed in UFOs, but this this documentary swayed me in the belief direction. It contains numerous first-hand non-contradicting accounts from govermenet officials. It seems someone or something is watching us so that we do not get out of hand (in regards to nukes). If you are undecided about the issue like I am, I highly suggest you watch it.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enhanced footage of everyday Germans following Germany's surrender (part of this documentary).

I don't want this to turn into a German-bashing thing; it's just interesting watching ordinary people get on with their lives after apocalyptic levels of destruction (people often forget that Germany suffered a great deal during the war as well).

I imagine you could draw up many similarities with the mood in ISIS-liberated towns and cities; from what I gather, northern Iraq likewise feels like a defeated nation owing to the fact that many people supported ISIS for sectarian reasons.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Joy of Winning

How to have a happier life and a better world all thanks to maths, in this witty, mind-expanding guide to the science of success with Hannah Fry.

Following in the footsteps of BBC Four's award-winning maths films The Joy of Stats and The Joy of Data, this latest gleefully nerdy adventure sees mathematician Dr Hannah Fry unlock the essential strategies you'll need to get what you want - to win - more of the time. From how to bag a bargain dinner to how best to stop the kids arguing on a long car journey, maths can give you a winning strategy. And the same rules apply to the world's biggest problems - whether it's avoiding nuclear annihilation or tackling climate change.

Deploying 'The Joys Of...' films' trademark mix of playful animation alongside both oddball demos and contributions from the world's biggest brains, Fry shows how this field of maths - known as game theory - is the essential key to help you get your way. She reveals ways to analyse any situation, and methods of calculating the consequences of getting what you want. Expect tips on taking advantage of what your opponents do, but also pleasing proof that cooperation might get you further than conflict. Fry also hails the 20th-century scientists like John von Neumann and John Nash who worked out the science of success. They may not be household names, but they transformed economics, politics, psychology and evolutionary biology in the process - and their work, Hannah demonstrates, could even be shown to prove the existence and advantage of goodness.

Along the way the film reveals, amongst other things, what links the rapper Ludacris, a Kentucky sheriff, a Nobel Prize winner and doping in professional cycling. And there's an irresistible chance to revisit the most excruciatingly painful and the most genius scenes ever seen on a TV game show, as Hannah unpacks the maths behind the legendary show Golden Balls and hails Nick Corrigan, the contestant whose cunning gameplay managed to break the supposedly intractable 'Prisoner's Dilemma'.

Other contributors to The Joy of Winning include European number one professional female poker player Liv Boeree, Scottish ex-pro cyclist and anti-doping campaigner (banned for 2 years in 2004 for doping) David Millar, Israeli game theory expert Dr Haim Shapira - who shows why it is sometimes rational to be irrational - and top evolutionary game theorist Professor Karl Sigmund from the University of Vienna.

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tyke Elephant Outlaw

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Joy of AI

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ttgfe

Professor Jim Al-Khalili looks at how we have created machines that can simulate, augment, and even outperform the human mind - and why we shouldn't let this spook us.

He reveals the story of the pursuit of AI, the emergence of machine learning and the recent breakthroughs brought about by artificial neural networks. He shows how AI is not only changing our world but also challenging our very ideas of intelligence and consciousness.

Along the way, we'll investigate spam filters, meet a cutting-edge chatbot, look at why a few altered pixels makes a computer think it's looking at a trombone rather than a dog and talk to Demis Hassabis, who heads DeepMind and whose stated mission is to 'solve intelligence, and then use that to solve everything else'. Stephen Hawking remarked 'AI could be the biggest event in the history of our civilisation. Or the worst'.

Jim argues that AI is a potent new tool that should enhance our lives, not replace us.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

ended up watching this docu after seeing a series of police interrogation videos - the extent people will go to to deny and compartmentalize doing some really awful things is amazing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8mByf4CRis
    Last edited by silke; 10-28-2018 at 05:43 AM.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

March of the Penguins

Channel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast