1 5.56%
  • ENFp (ethical subtype)

0 0%
  • ENFj (ethical subtype)

2 11.11%
  • something else...

3 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different Type or Just Different?

Hybrid View

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Different Type or Just Different?

I am sort of reticent in posting this, the third thread in which I question my type. But I'm left with more questions than answers at this point from the other two threads, and it's been making me go more than a little insane. I promise, this will be the last of it.

A few people have mentioned that I seem somehow "different" from other INFps they know and have suggested I might be Delta NF (most likely INFj). I kind of want to flesh this out a little in order to further exploit the delineation between Ni and Ne/Fe and Fi. What do you guys think?

Like a lot of you, I frankly don't understand these functions as well as I thought I did. I mean, how can I be sure I haven't got it all backwards in my head? That I really am Ne dominant, but I've labelled it Ni? That I'm Fi dominant, but I've labelled it Fe? Or perhaps I've mistaken Fi-values for Ni-vision?

What I interpret as Ni within myself:
    This mostly is present in two areas of my life - spirituality and music, both very powerful influences on me (not necessarily exclusive from one another). I've played around with mysticism and organized religion (I've actually always been fascinated by rituals - aesceticism in Hinduism, Communion in the Catholic tradition, even to the burning of incense in Muslim mosques). Generally, I've found the philosophies that speak to me the most are those without this dogmatic baggage - the most barebones of them. Usually the kind of thing that can best be summed up in a sentence, perhaps even a word. Words themselves hinder and limit and confuse and distort. For me, that word is: balance - from the positive and negative charges in atoms to sex even to Socionics itself in the form of duality, I see the entire world as a struggle of two opposing forces to reach and maintain a state of balance.

What I percieve as Fi within myself:
    I have this morbid reservoir of memories locked away in my subconscious. Every single thing that's happened to me is there - each compliment, each insult, each cut at my self-confidence. But what comes to me, to me, is the undercurrent - what are those memories collectively telling me? They paint a pretty grim picture of humanity, overall. It emerges when another painful event needs to be locked away me my mind. It contributes to me ability to empathize.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

You're just different Darling. It is your absurd amout of lovely aesthetic that throws people off I think.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Different Type or Just Different?

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    I have this morbid reservoir of memories locked away in my subconscious. Every single thing that's happened to me is there - each compliment, each insult, each cut at my self-confidence. But what comes to me, to me, is the undercurrent - what are those memories collectively telling me? They paint a pretty grim picture of humanity, overall. It emerges when another painful event needs to be locked away me my mind. It contributes to me ability to empathize.
    I think this is indeed, but the way you describe it suggests to me that you're not .
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I think this is indeed
    Nope, this is dynamic. is the undecurrent collective uncoscious, the emotional states are

but the way you describe it suggests to me that you're not .
    Ah...I think you meant then, right?

Everything you say here sounds pretty to me.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Nope, this is dynamic. is the undecurrent collective uncoscious, the emotional states are
    I can see how that could be , but I'd like to know whether other INFps really relate to having a "morbid reservoir of memories locked away in my subconscious" - to the point of actually noticing it and caring about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like a lot of you, I frankly don't understand these functions as well as I thought I did. I mean, how can I be sure I haven't got it all backwards in my head?
    This is the million dollar question, I've wondered it myself too. Not just about me but about what other people on the forum think, too.

@Expat: as Fabio said, that is still debatable.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-pokeball

I think Fe is misrepresented.

Auvi, I wrote my Ni diddy after you-- Sir Muse.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see how that could be , but I'd like to know whether other INFps really relate to having a "morbid reservoir of memories locked away in my subconscious" - to the point of actually noticing it and caring about it.
    Let's look at what has to say about this a rather famous INFp, Marcel Proust.

A brief synthesis of the autobiographical work Remembrance of Things Past, which is basically a proof of the fact that they notice so much that they can write an entire book about it.

The novel begins with Marcel's childhood recollections, which come to the writer stilted and distant. The form of remembrance which he seeks, finally begins to blossom with the wanted warmth and intimacy of authenticity, when he tastes a madeleine cake dipped in linden tea such as he was given as a child. He returns via this precious flavour, and the reader embarks on a sumptuous journey with Marcel into the heart and mind of a precocious aesthete of turn of the century France.
    Superficially, the narration follows the lives of three families, Marcel's own, the aristocratic de Guermantes and the family of the Jewish bohemian dilettante Swann. Among the characters are faithless coquette Odette, whom Swann marries, Baron de Charlus (with a fetish for Balzac and Latin quotes), Duchess de Guermantes, Mme de Villeparisis, Robert Saint-Loup and Marcel's great love Albertine.
    The book follows Marcel through his experiences and his singular personality - a journey rife with a colorful agglomeration of dreams which are constantly thwarted by the inevitable disillusion of encounter with real life. The narrator's vision, both neurotic and exceedingly perspicacious, make this journey a compelling and unique one, bristling with humor, irony, pathos, charm, and infinite beauty. Remembrance remains a singular work in reference to this would-be hackneyed theme. This singularity resides in the fact that the cynicism garnered via age which casts its ominous shadow over most beings in the guise of severe negativity or inertia, never overtakes Marcel; he never stops searching and longing, is curiosity and love remarkably boundless .
    As you see the dream-like quality which is both strenght and weakness of INFps is actually a reinforcing factor which impels an even stonger boldness in feelings (related to instants(dynamic), though, not "absolute" like (static) ). After all, if reality never meets the expectations of dreams, how could the memories be anything if not morbid?

Though IMHO there's a different quality here than in . Memories are always linked to events whereas in they are linked to objects. That's why it's working in tandem with and not

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you see the dream-like quality which is both strenght and weakness of INFps is actually a reinforcing factor which impels an even stonger boldness in feelings (related to instants(dynamic), though, not "absolute" like (static) ). After all, if reality never meets the expectations of dreams, how could the memories be anything if not morbid?

Though IMHO there's a different quality here than in . Memories are always linked to events whereas in they are linked to objects. That's why it's working in tandem with and not
    That makes sense. Still, I'd like to see if other INFps relate to this as something significant in their psyche.

@Baby: yes that makes sense too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    This is the million dollar question, I've wondered it myself too. Not just about me but about what other people on the forum think, too.
    Same.

Okay, let's just assume that was my Fi up there, here is what I percieve as my creative function:
    Emotional expression for me is an art - it needs be eloquent, visceral, convincing, and apt. In my everyday speech and movement, in my writing, in my art, in (especially) my music I sort of get a sense of the "aura" of the circumstances and act from there. I find it actually very difficult (and pretty embarassing) to express emotion without having it go through a sort of "filter." If I lose composure (end up shouting, or fighting, or crying) I get an immediate sense of dread - "What have I done? What am I doing?" Fe for me is far from syrupy and gushy. Actually, it's quite the opposite much of the time - possibly even stoic.
    I hope you don't mind me going on about my type a bit in this thread, since it seems like you're more questioning functions/J-P in general.

As for what you said about you're feeling... I guess I could say that my thinking function serves a similar purpose, lol. You say that it's pretty "embarassing" to express your emotions in such a way. One thing that I noticed odd about my thinking function is that I don't do the whole ExTJ thing that they do. For example, I have noticed that ExTJs (dominant Te) generally like to "impress" people of their validaty by several "ranking" factors. These include age, education, family, credentials, and so on. Well, I find these things in an argument to be rather irrelevant and frankly even sickening. In addition, when I'm put on the spot to talk IRL, I often have a terrible time expressing myself and getting the right words to fit my thoughts (something ExTJs are supposed to be good at). This could be similar to what you said about you're feeling being "stoic", but it's always seemed odd to me.

Oh, and before I go on about this stuff (which I probably will later), I'd like to say that if I've missed typed my socionics J-P, then a lot of other people have, too. For one, there is NO WAY that I am the same (or even similar) type as (to) Hugo, Pedro-the-Lion, Dio, or Tcuadilllg. Also, the other ISTPs who have come and gone on this forum that have related to what I've said are probably mistyped, as well as the people who know real ISTPs (Schroodinger's Car, Nicky, etc...) who said that I seem/look/sound similar to their ISTPs (and those two are both ENFP... conflicts! Yay).
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. For one, there is NO WAY that I am the same (or even similar) type as (to) Hugo, Pedro-the-Lion, Dio, or Tcuadilllg.
    I doubt anybody ever said you're intj!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't identify with any of what baby wrote.

EDIT: Especially the Fi part.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@snegledmaca: yes that is what I was expecting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@snegledmaca: yes that is what I was expecting.
    Well a good guess.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. For one, there is NO WAY that I am the same (or even similar) type as (to) Hugo, Pedro-the-Lion, Dio, or Tcuadilllg.
    I doubt anybody ever said you're intj!
    Well, Hugo did when I got INTJ on his little test.

But what I was really saying is that if I have to switch my P to J, then those guys have to switch their J to P.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different is something I can be proud of.
    Not considering other things said this sounds a bit INFj to me. Reminded me of Darklord saying "I don't really fit in but it is not a problem since fitting in would feel like the worst crime against my self" or something. Can you relate to that statement? I don't remember how it exactly went but the basic idea was that INFjs don't "fit in" and are proud of that.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Not considering other things said this sounds a bit INFj to me. Reminded me of Darklord saying "I don't really fit in but it is not a problem since fitting in would feel like the worst crime against my self" or something. Can you relate to that statement? I don't remember how it exactly went but the basic idea was that INFjs don't "fit in" and are proud of that.
    NiFe's are pretty proud about not "fitting in" as well. I would think uniqueness is a common desire.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    NiFe's are pretty proud about not "fitting in" as well. I would think uniqueness is a common desire.
    I would like to hear FiNes and NiFes comment on this. Perhaps other NFs too. Do you "fit in" and if not do you see it as something that "makes you proud" or something that "bothers you"?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NeFi: Proud to be unique, but with a great love for harmony. Not fitting in = disharmony, strife, and botheration. BAD. I prefer some control over WHEN and HOW I don't fit in. Much better. Not fitting in altogether would feel too uncomfortable.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    NeFi: Proud to be unique, but with a great love for harmony. Not fitting in = disharmony, strife, and botheration. BAD. I prefer some control over WHEN and HOW I don't fit in. Much better. Not fitting in altogether would feel too uncomfortable.
    Ditto. I want to fit in, and need to fit in to some extent, but on my own terms.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost make a point of not fitting in.

A typical example of my social interactions is that I lunch with a group of radical vegans. But I love meat and my political views are vastly different than most of theirs. Other than them being nice, I learn a lot from them and myself since they test my opinions and I'd like to think they learn from me too.

I don't think I could stand being in a group that is much like myself, if I ever found one. In general, I find it hard to take on any kind of sub culture identity because I'm so much more complicated and unique than that. lol. (Yes, that's self-irony.) I would feel stagnant.
    INFj

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can fit in everywhere if I want to.

I don't like people calling me a freak, weird and other stuff that *real* alienation is all about. I like to be special, different, unique, but not alienated, a freak, weird and so on (As my darling mother at this very moment is telling me, just how weird, strange, abnormal, fucked up and wrong I am. She's a darling little thing).

If somebody really is a misfit it's because of a defect on their part in relation to group standards. An artist is a misfit in the military and vice versa.

Personally I initially try to fit in and see how it suits me. If I don't like it I go away. In the end I really don't care. Who I am is not determined externally so my exterior must match me or nothing.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auvi, you've always reminded me more of Diana than any of the INFps... except maybe vague. There's something about you that's too... ummm gentle and gracious to be INFp. But it could just be how you are. I'm interested in Diana and Vague's points of view of this. If they say they think you're a Beta NF rather than a Delta NF, I'll be satisfied.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Is vague INFj now? I wasn't aware.

I do identify with some of Auvi's post.

And I don't have the ability to fit in anywhere.
    And if it seems like I do, because I forcibly stick myself out and try to talk to people, its only on the surface. I'm rarely ever accepted. This is probably why I get so attached to the few who I actually feel accept me, and get paranoid when they act differently and think that they actually weren't accepting me all along, just using me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aurora_faerie
    And if it seems like I do, because I forcibly stick myself out and try to talk to people, its only on the surface. I'm rarely ever accepted. This is probably why I get so attached to the few who I actually feel accept me, and get paranoid when they act differently and think that they actually weren't accepting me all along, just using me.
    ME TOO!!!
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel detachment from the past and memories associated with it. Most of the feelings are completely gone and the memories seem almost foreign. Baby says his memories increase his empathy. If I see someone going through the same problem I went through a few years ago, I have trouble feeling empathy. I'm more likely to feel exasperation because it seems like something that should be easily overcome. I forget what it’s like to be in that situation.
    Exactly!

Creepy-pokeball

Are you away from your loved ones?

Creepy-pokeball

Bleh. Im sorry. Here is a meaningless text-smiley-flower to cheer you up!

---$--$--$--$--

Look, it's made from money lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snegledaca
    I can fit in everywhere if I want to.
    The question is... do I want to? In some ways, yes, in others, no. I want to at least be accepted by those around me - I don't enjoy being thought of as a "freak", or socially innept. In fact, I sort of pride myself in my ability to not come off as a total spaz (sometimes, when watching a less tactful/socially-aware person, secretly thinking to myself "what a spaz"). In fact... not fitting in is a very big fear for me. But... I'd rather fit in because of my freakishness as opposed to in spite of them. The idea of projecting the brooding, isolated, loner is sort of romantic to me.
    I'm very similar, I relate to it (Especially the "because of my freakishness" part. I also find the idea of the projecting the brooding, isolated, loner appealing. But I can't do it ).

Regarding the "not fitting in" fear, I do not have that. I do however have the "not fitting in causes undesirable consequences" fear.

Also perhaps my sentence came of a bit too strong. What I mean to say was that I can adapt rather successfully to my environment. I don't think this ability is dependent on type as much as it is on personality. For instance some people have the means but no motivation and so on. That was just a reference to myself, my personality.

lol, do you get the urge to rewrite entire sections because the "feel" is just not perfect enough? I do this over and over and over. Sometimes, I can't even begin writing because I can't come up with the perfect way to start off.
    OMG, I totally identify with that. It's because I have this preconceived vision in my head and I know while trying to present it in a form of some sort does the presented form match my vision. I can feel if it is off. I keep trying and trying until it is matches. People might view this as perfectionism but it's really about consistency of expressed thought.

A good example would be my posts. I edit my post during or after posting a minimum of 5 times a post and usually 8 or 9 times a post.

EDIT: Unless it's short.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baby, I can think of a couple positives of all this confusion!

One, the fact that we are all still splitting hairs about the functions and thinking about them so much, the fact that there are a few different systems still trying to describe 16 Jungian types, all hints that there is something behind all of this. The problem with most "personality" based theories is that, they all are pretty much paper thin. One guy may come around with one little system, then someone else will come around with a different idea, but none of these BUILD on what the others teach it, and after a short period of time they seem to fizzle away and people forget about them. The thing with Jung is that we have MBTI, socionics, and several different derivatives of each, *still* focusing on building a macroscopic model of Jung's original eight functions. We may not always agree on the specifics, but if you take a real look at all this and realize how close what we are all saying is to each other, especially compared to how other "personality" theories compare, we may be pretty close to reality.

Secondly, what we may be changing our minds on is not a real "deal breaker". I mean, there are some people who change their type from ISFP to ENTJ (*ehhmm*), so changing J/P only isn't so bad.

And lastly, it shows that we are actually using our heads and not just blindly following socionics to a tee just because it looks nice and shiny and great.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-aurora_faerie

snegledaca and vague, i don't relate with that detachment at all. i remember my past, pleastant and unpleasant things all the time and it greatly effects my mood. normally negativly. if its bad, then yeah, i remember how it was bad and i become afraid that it could happen again. or if its happy, then i am afraid it will never happen again.

-_-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upon thinking a little more... I think what what I'm afraid of is not so much not "fitting in" so much as being rejected and judged as someone who is undesirable. Even if I don't quite fit in, I want people to accept our differences, but still find me someone they want to hang out with, and don't feel uncomfortable and awkward and embarassing to be around. There's lots of people with whom I don't really "fit in" but who sort of see my quirks as mystique or some rare and endearing quality, although still think I'm cool. If I don't get that, I get somewhat erratic.
    Hmmm, well I just don't want to be perceived as "below" them in any way. I want to be on their level or preferably as you mention something exquisite possessing mystique and rare endearing qualities.
    You know... one person I kind of want to hear from is maizemedley. I'm convinced (as well as she) we're in the same quadra if not identicals.
    Well I'm convinced that she is my identical. I'm 100% certain. Her and Chibi. And scarletlux.

snegledaca and vague, i don't relate with that detachment at all. i remember my past, pleastant and unpleasant things all the time and it greatly effects my mood. normally negativly. if its bad, then yeah, i remember how it was bad and i become afraid that it could happen again. or if its happy, then i am afraid it will never happen again.

-_-
    Actually, thinking about it now, I think it's a different thing for me. The thing is that I practically have no memories. I remember going through a period, that I was doing something, but I just don't know what. People tell me about events that happened just a couple of years ago and I can barely remember it. Sometimes I remember the even but no specifics. Like for instance a while back one of my muscles tore. I was training athletics at the time and this was during one of the trainings. I can barely remember it, even though I happened 3 (or was it 4) years ago. My friends retell me what happened, how I snapped on a kid, how they almost pissed their pant laughing (For some reason people enjoy seeing me get hurt. Brings them immense joy). I can barely remember it. I remember running, a rock hitting me, stopping, drinking water, the coach telling me to run it off, which struck me as insane, going to the hospital and not doing anything for a while.
    It's even worse when I have no memory of the event. I'm like "WTF? I didn't do that! What are you talking about? When? I don't know, perhaps, I really don't remember..."

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

snegledmaca, it sounds like you have a Dissociative Disorder/PTSS.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    A what?

EDIT: is that PTSD?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca
    A what?

EDIT: is that PTSD?
    syndrome... disorder... it's all the same
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I've read it and that's not it. The problem is that I suffered no traumatic event. Usually the memories I don't recall (And other people do) are pleasant ones that they remembered but for some reason I completely forgot. Like when I made them laugh, when we had fun and so on.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you seen a doctor?
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you seen a doctor?
    Nope.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast