View Poll Results: I would like to...

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • live forever (till the end of time?)

18 41.86%
  • live a reasonably long life (couple thousand years or so) but die eventually

10 23.26%
  • die at the normal average human lifespan

10 23.26%
  • other

5 11.63%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Immortality

Banned
    TIM
    ILI-DC™
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maromi View Post
    WTF? No it's not. Death is the worst possible thing in the universe.
    I've learned in my travels that some people are really into snuff.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

These arguments where lack of imagination is substituted for wisdom are annoying

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I'm not sure if immortality is technically possible. You could live to the end of the age of the universe. In the end, death still reaches you.

Maybe you could explore all possible worlds and live to the beginnings and ends of infinite universes. I think even then, still, you will thirst for more, be it experience, knowledge, or something else. You may even chase after the experience of death after a long enough time.

But really, you will die just like everyone else, knowing that there was much more to experience than you had.

my guru said i can do sadana to see i was never born and will never die

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Immortality sees death everywhere. You are doomed to feel an eternal grief. If you can have children, you'll be the witness of the perpetual agony of your own lineage and the people you love. I think one can not survive immortality especially if one is the only one. Anyway, even if we as a species could survive the next mass extinction, and even if we could escape the solar system apocalypse, there will come a time where nothing of which has ever been on this earth will remain, not even the memory that it has ever existed. Unless we find a way to travel through the multiverse....

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Who is this, sadhguru?
    no but he too has that in his repertoire one way or another. it is not really guru territory anymore though. looks like the flame gets passed on from normie to normie.

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    our universe isn't infinite in time - it had a beginning and it will have an end - thus immortality is not something feasible. those who want to live forever, sorry, your "forever" is only temporary ;P
    Time is just a metric unit for causality, which is in turn one of the principles through which consciousness orders the noumena into an understandable phenomena (like space, form...) The current "material" world is just one of the potential configurations of phenomena that consciousness can create in order to interact with it, including non-existence. The past does not exist and memory is just your imagination of a causality.

Reality is probably more like a big painting than like a clockwork.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    entropy will probably prevent the preservation of mental integrity beyond a certain point. how long the mind can live in a non-degrading body is an open question as far as i'm concerned though.

I see no evidence this is true. Entropy only applies to closed systems, but the universe itself appears to be an open system.

Quote Originally Posted by miss BabyDoll View Post
    wouldn't want to be immortal - I could and would never commit to anything infinitely!

By the nature of simply existing you are forced to. Eternal life or eternal death, you can understand these and we seem to live in an eternalist universe by virtue of 1. determinism being necessary for all our science 2. the universe appearing to be an open system not subject to the laws of entropy. There are no other options besides to make one infinite choice or another.

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    i think we achieve option 2 by gradually replacing nerve tissue from the brain with electronic circuitry until it is completely rendered synthetic.

then we watch theologists debate at what point in the gradual process the soul died. laff.

I don't think it's even possible to replace brain tissue with electronic circuitry and have it still be functional. The brain and the circuitry would probably electromagnetically interfere with each other in irreconcilable ways, producing pure noise and just reducing overall function.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveYouDrZaius View Post
    Living forever, yes... but not in this physical universe. Here everything is a finite combination of atoms and quantum states which means over an eternity you're going to repeat everything over again and again. Your attention span and ability to understand media are bounded (you can't enjoyably read a 100,000 page novel, you're generally speaking going to want to read material around ~300 pages; you can't enjoyably listen to a 30hr song, generally speaking you're going to want 3:00 minutes songs) which means you're going to cover ever possible book and song over an eternity and so there will be nothing new. You would be bored out of your mind.

I would like to live forever in a universe where information is infinitely dense and not the product of being a finite combination of words, atoms and quantum states, so that you can't exhaust your options. There would be an infinite number of 3:00 songs (or 2:00 songs, or even 1:00 songs) you could listen to and make. An infinite number of 280 character tweets you could make, etc.... And if you really wanted to write that 30hr song, yes, you could do that too! That would be Heaven.

It's fully possible to get an infinite number of states from an initial finite set of objects, if you assume that's what this universe is (a fair assumption.) Look into set theory.

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I think it's a fairly realistic prediction that at some point in the future we'll be able to cure all diseases and elongate life, perhaps indefinitely. Plastic surgery techniques could advance to the point where a sixty year old can be made to look twenty. Given the choice, would you want to live as a twenty year old for the rest of existence?

I doubt the Illuminati will be able to do this with anything resembling ordinary technology. I also doubt they will be able to do this at all, but I think they are trying to do this in a way that doesn't use what's recognizable as ordinary technology. I do think humans would be biologically immortal simply in their natural state, though, free from all the poisons, and that would undo all the worst parts of aging to make plastic surgery not necessary. I don't want any part in what people like Aubrey de Grey are pushing, because I think they completely misunderstand things. I think living forever is not only desirable, it is the only option. However, I think all the transhumanist types misunderstand what it should mean and what humanity is. I think there is probably some sort of satanic agenda behind transhumanism, honestly. I support cybernetics, AI, etc. just not the ideology that usually goes with it. Why do they think technology will make them other than human, and why do they think that's a good thing?

Additionally, the "Singularity" sounds like a fake god and I am completely wary of that despite thinking AI is a good idea. I have a different conception of how I think AI should work based on what I think intelligence is. I don't think AI necessarily has to be conscious to be intelligent, and I think most people have trouble visualizing how that would really work. Even if some AI is conscious, that doesn't mean it has to be anything like the "Singularity," which I don't think is even possible the way they want it. The "Singularity" just sounds like the old myth of wanting a demon, faerie, djinn, etc. to solve all your problems. As we all know, that tends to go wrong. The wishes are always taken really literally, which sounds uncannily like something a malfunctioning computer that only uses its very literalistic programing code would do.

That being said, I think there is no other option besides immortality. We as humans are consciously aware of the idea of an infinite amount of time, and the only options are eternal life, and eternal death, which sounds like a form of torment, though eternal physical life could probably also be turned to the purpose of torment. However, eternal physical life in some form or another is a necessary precondition I think for beings who can understand infinity to achieve happiness, which makes it puzzling that we don't apparently get it. Either there is no supernatural or religious realm and there should be no obstacles to my eternal existence, in which case the state of the world is quite baffling with all the people who do not seem to realize their conundrum at all and are not doing anything about it despite the supposed complete lack of obstacles, or there is one and the eternal life is hidden, which makes things make more sense metanarratively but is also extremely unnerving. In the latter case, the main issue is really the active obstruction by hidden forces, not that the eternal life in that narrative must be something scientifically inexplicable rather than say maybe God gives humans technology to live forever. That is what there appears to be. Something appears to be obstructing the attempts at eternal life for humans despite the fact it is logically necessary for humans to enjoy happiness, and the agenda looks kind of satanic without any particular conspiracizing, though some people worshipping satanic entities does not itself have too many metanarrative implications for reality, we all know some people really do those things including many famous and powerful people.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I do not wish to be around when I'm a hypothetical fuming pile of ashes. So if can not have the suicide option (suffering due to the end of times) I pick only few thousand years.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by two View Post
    I would honestly only care about this once I find a perfect husband for me and if we can be both immortal together. I think living this life for eternity is just sad. Either death or eternal companion for me.

I also don’t really like to be stuck at early twenties. Late 20s or early 30s must be the ideal for me. I wouldn’t mind looking very old though with my partner if we won’t have problems walking and all.
    50s look like peak human from my perspective right now. Still physically able, wise (or at least have had the chance to be by now), not relegated to the old people's corner yet.

Something about 60s makes people take you less seriously.

TIM
    EII/SLI- HN
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I think it's a fairly realistic prediction that at some point in the future we'll be able to cure all diseases and elongate life, perhaps indefinitely. Plastic surgery techniques could advance to the point where a sixty year old can be made to look twenty. Given the choice, would you want to live as a twenty year old for the rest of existence?
    Basically, my viewpoint on life is that it's better to live than not to live. I also happen to be an atheist.

Probably the best option would be to be ageless but be able to kill yourself I guess. You never know when your perspectives about immortality will change.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123