Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the scariest book or film that you've encountered?

Creepy-male

Default What is the scariest book or film that you've encountered?

I'm getting into a horror mood lately. What has scared the shit out of you recently or in the past?

When I was a young kid probably that awful Jeff Daniels film Arachnophobia scared me the most. I slept with the lights on for a number of years because I thought spiders would eat me alive.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a children's book that got me too.

Attachment 4001

Lately, I don't really scare too easily but I'd say David Lynch's Inland Empire was one of the few films in recent memory where I had a moment of pure terror -- during the Phantom scene.

Attachment 4002

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Das Capital by Karl Marx and The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by John Maynard Keynes.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

It´s been years I don't watch or read horror genre..
    I am easily scared and have horrible nightmares afterwards last time it was clown killers something.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jacques Derrida, Specters of Marx.

No joke, hauntology itself terrifies me, it makes my blood freeze.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you guys get enjoyment that I have to put my hand in front of the screen while I scroll? Cos your scary photos are terrifying.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    I'm getting into a horror mood lately. What has scared the shit out of you recently or in the past?

When I was a young kid probably that awful Jeff Daniels film Arachnophobia scared me the most. I slept with the lights on for a number of years because I thought spiders would eat me alive.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a children's book that got me too.

Attachment 4001

Lately, I don't really scare too easily but I'd say David Lynch's Inland Empire was one of the few films in recent memory where I had a moment of pure terror -- during the Phantom scene.

Attachment 4002

I think this is what you meant

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Das Capital by Karl Marx and The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by John Maynard Keynes.

Oooooh, you so smart and political Aqua.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooooh, you so smart and political Aqua.
    Okay, okay I'll play.

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Blair Witch Project was frightening when I watched it for the first time.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Okay, okay I'll play.

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.
    Excellent.

Attachment 4005

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm TERRIFIED of the japanese horrors. their theatrical and ott acting is really laughable but for some reason gives me the chills ---- i still occasionally see in my mind that woman from the grudge descending the stairs holyyyy
    anyway,
    books wise - idk really- even the strangest book can't give me the creepy chills cause i tend to read those books in the funny voice haha

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Um, I can't decide for only one....

Book: King's Pet Semetary scared the living crap out of me as a child.

Movies:

Inside - the most terrifying thing I've seen

Female-Killers-La-Femme-Inside-horror-movies-26155514-1024-683.jpg

Martyrs, Sinister, Ju-On, The Shining, Session 9, Funny Games, Antichrist.

70's horror for some reason freaks me out a lot: The Last House on the Left, I Spit on Your Grave, The Omen, Deliverance.

Honorary gross mentions: Cannibal Holocaust, Salo, Audition.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The movie that scared me the most of all time was The Strangers http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482606. I literally felt like I had to walk out of the theater as the premise was getting set up. I think a lot of it had to do that's sort of like my worst nightmare, just having these random people mess with you for no reason and you're with a loved one. Supernatural horror doesn't bother me as much but I remember being extremely scared of that movie as I was seeing it in theaters.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@darya did you watch stephen kings "it" series about demented psychopath clown that ate kids?
    well i have.
    when i was 5.

needless to say i'm not very fond of clowns now

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryoka14 View Post
    The movie that scared me the most of all time was The Strangers http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482606. I literally felt like I had to walk out of the theater as the premise was getting set up. I think a lot of it had to do that's sort of like my worst nightmare, just having these random people mess with you for no reason and you're with a loved one. Supernatural horror doesn't bother me as much but I remember being extremely scared of that movie as I was seeing it in theaters.
    This Spanish movie Kidnapped (Secuestrados) has a similar theme and I found it quite disturbing, although it's not some huge masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by miss BabyDoll View Post
    @darya did you watch stephen kings "it" series about demented psychopath clown that ate kids?
    well i have.
    when i was 5.

needless to say i'm not very fond of clowns now
    Ofc I did. Pennywise had a charming smile . I watched so many horror movies as a child, I don't understand how come my parents let me.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    I watched so many horror movies as a child, I don't understand how come my parents let me.
    been asking myself this right here for years now haha

TIM
    SLI-N 9W1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was 11 I read some R L Stein book, where some chick killed and cooked a person and served them to guests and I freaked out.

Creepy-male

This Spanish movie Kidnapped (Secuestrados) has a similar theme and I found it quite disturbing, although it's not some huge masterpiece.

Ofc I did. Pennywise had a charming smile . I watched so many horror movies as a child, I don't understand how come my parents let me.

I didn't watch too many horror films as a child but I watched like Terminator 2 every day almost when I was 5 or 6.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't watch too many horror films as a child but I watched like Terminator 2 every day almost when I was 5 or 6.
    lol mcbain you too? i still do that - at least once a month

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Movies:

70's horror for some reason freaks me out a lot: The Last House on the Left, I Spit on Your Grave, The Omen, Deliverance.

Antichrist messed me up for weeks....just the thought of some of the scenes still creeps me out.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    Antichrist messed me up for weeks....just the thought of some of the scenes still creeps me out.
    I wondered about it when I saw this thread, but it kind of transgresses the genre imo. It´s more psychological and it doesn´t make use of a predictable set of conventions, nor does it try to stir almost standard reactions in the audience. Anyway it´s ofc a very good one. I cannot say it creeps me out, coz I went fast-forward over the exact cutting scene that I had already heard about. The rest was totally chill.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    I wondered about it when I saw this thread, but it kind of transgresses the genre imo. It´s more psychological and it doesn´t make use of a predictable set of conventions, nor does it try to stir almost standard reactions in the audience. Anyway it´s ofc a very good one. I cannot say it creeps me out, coz I went fast-forward over the exact cutting scene that I had already heard about. The rest was totally chill.

I generally do not care about genre anyway. If something terrifies or horrifies me then whether or not it follows convention doesn't really matter to me.

Cemetary Man though, I've NEVER heard of that film and I cannot believe why that is so, given my love of Re-Animator and Evil Dead.

Creepy-male

lol mcbain you too? i still do that - at least once a month
    I absolutely loved that movie baby -- I just watched the first one a couple days ago for the first time in ages. So dark and moody and grimy -- loved it. Which one do you think is better?

Creepy-male

Movies:

Salo is pretty damned disturbing. Yeah 70s horror has like an incredibly creepy vibe to it. I think mainly because it lacks a lot of the campiness and stylized popcorniness of 80s horror -- and the like fantastical practical effects/makeup are less predominant.

I'd say Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the king of 70s horror.

Attachment 4007

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely loved that movie baby -- I just watched the first one a couple days ago for the first time in ages. So dark and moody and grimy -- loved it. Which one do you think is better?
    lol i misread that you watched it for the first time and was like whaat?? haha YES! I love the 1 part but the 2nd one is my favourite. you can't not love sarah connor's toughness and robert patrick as t1000

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

The Exorcist is the only scary movie that has left it's mark on my psyche and to this day I am filled with anxiety whenever I see it mentioned, or in a commercial. I will close my eyes and hum to myself until I can change the channel. I was too young to watch it and it left me terrified, leaving me with a full year of dreams where I walked into my bedroom and there she was, heading spinning and all. Sometimes it was me in the dream possessed as she was in the movie. I slept on the couch for a year because the dreams left me with the worst feeling that something "bad" would happen in my bedroom.

Also, I read a book called "The Demonologist" when I was 12 and it just reinforced the terror of the Exorcist. That coupled with some forced religious, you are going to hell, beliefs made my childhood an ongoing nightmare.

But now I can laugh about it, sometimes. Maybe the imprint this made on me manifests in a constant underlying battle of, do I believe in good and evil within me and why I get pulled to the darkside so often.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Creepy-male

lol i misread that you watched it for the first time and was like whaat?? haha YES! I love the 1 part but the 2nd one is my favourite. you can't not love sarah connor's toughness and robert patrick as t1000

Both the T1000 and badass Sarah Connor in T2 are great -- I won't knock that movie -- but the first Terminator is by far the best. I think that the character arc of Sarah is a bit more dynamic in the first. T2 does a lot of new and interesting things -- and totally blows away the first one in terms of action scenes -- but a lot of the plot is a callback to how awesome the first film was. It could just be that T2 is like emblazoned into my childhood memory -- the grass is always greener --- and that I just have a deeper fondness for 80s practical special effects and dark synth music. I like that style a lot.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both the T1000 and badass Sarah Connor in T2 are great -- I won't knock that movie -- but the first Terminator is by far the best. I think that the character arc of Sarah is a bit more dynamic in the first. T2 does a lot of new and interesting things -- and totally blows away the first one in terms of action scenes -- but a lot of the plot is a callback to how awesome the first film was. It could just be that T2 is like emblazoned into my childhood memory -- the grass is always greener --- and that I just have a deeper fondness for 80s practical special effects and dark synth music. I like that style a lot.
    haha I know so many people that bash T2 and I, lol, agree that it doesn't have the strength the T1 has especially production and screenplay wise but I still prefer it over T1 cause I first saw T2 and then T1 lol yes haha I saw T2 when I was like 12 for the first time and T1 when I was 14 cause vhs and lol the awkwardness to find it. but I still agree that T1 is the freakin masterpiece - music is everything, rough effects and the whole trashiness vibe is off the hook but for me it can't beat T2 no way no how - it's the emotional bond
    Last edited by miss BabyDoll; 08-01-2014 at 11:22 PM.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    It´s been years I don't watch or read horror genre..
    I am easily scared and have horrible nightmares afterwards last time it was clown killers something.
    You did not get nightmares over Killer Klowns from Outer Space. It's one of my favorite flicks.

"[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    You did not get nightmares over Killer Klowns from Outer Space. It's one of my favorite flicks.

You nerd, that's hawt as fuck.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post

Well I was 9 or 10 I did get nightmares over it... Should be a sissy

Creepy-male

haha I know so many people that bash T2 and I, lol, agree that it doesn't have the strength the T1 has especially production and screenplay wise but I still prefer it over T1 cause I first saw T2 and then T1 lol yes haha I saw T2 when I was like 12 for the first time and T1 when I was 14 cause vhs and lol the awkwardness to find it. but I still agree that T1 is the freakin masterpiece - music is everything, rough effects and the whole trashiness vibe is off the hook but for me it can't beat T2 no way no how - it's the emotional bond
    I have to admit I wore my T2 vhs out back in the day -- I hear you on the emotional bond, what other films have their hooks in you?

Creepy-male

Well I was 9 or 10 I did get nightmares over it... Should be a sissy
    Killer Klowns is too campy to get nightmares -- this guy is way more frightening:

Attachment 4009

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Killer Klowns is too campy to get nightmares -- this guy is way more frightening:

Attachment 4009
    I hope my night will be nightmare free...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Drink a stupid amounts of coffee to the point your shaking with heart palpitations.
    2. Watch any scary film.It's now 45546456536234231233667454 times scarier.
    3. Done.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit I wore my T2 vhs out back in the day -- I hear you on the emotional bond, what other films have their hooks in you?
    this is the toughest question you can ask me tbh haha - but if i have to choose I'd say falling down and fight club-- there's just sth about people who snap and experience catharsis haha Also! ---> complementary witty beta oneliners ha, right? what about you?
    p.s. that pennywise you posted up there left permanent emotional scars in the form of sleeping with the lights on till age 10 haha

Creepy-male

I hope my night will be nightmare free...
    Attachment 4010

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Killer Klowns is too campy to get nightmares

I'm suffering from sleep paralysis at least twice a week lately. After all this years it still terrifies me more than any horror movie can.

sleep p.jpg

Creepy-male

I'm suffering from sleep paralysis at least twice a week lately. After all this years it still terrifies me more than any horror movie can.

sleep p.jpg
    There, there, darya I'll tuck you in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast