Thread: Acting

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Acting

Have you ever acted on stage or in front of a camera? What do you enjoy about acting?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've acted before and it was fun. The only part that was challenging was remembering lines. I am terrible with those things.

Stage fright was never that bad weirdly enough. I feel like with social anxiety you always feel on stage so not much was really that different.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in acting competitions when I was younger. I even wrote my own scripts. I only was able to win second place though. The kids who could do different accents always won 1st place. I got murdered by by a girl acting as a holocaust survivor with a polish accent.

It was fun. I enjoyed getting into character and studying my characters. Playing the cheshire cat was fun.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up with a dramatic art class in highschool, all I remember is when we had to learn some text and play it for the class. It was a man and a woman talking.
    I ended up playing the man with my female friend and the woman with a guy whose partner couldn't make it because he was in hospital iirc. No one else was willing to do it twice.

It's like repeating a world that doesn't exist for a little while, I find it strange.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed that I get anxiety when I was on stage at highschool although that wasn't the case before. So I enrolled myself to theatre to overcome that and it helped actually for a good time.

But I still had stage anxiety, if I used the rush I have in the stage, I did a great job, it was fun for me and others. If I supress it down, I sounded super monotone, I think I was super boring lol

I hated playing naive goody goody characters, they seemed one dimmensional to me, oh la la, I am good and I don't understand what goes around me even it is super obvious kind of a thing. They didn't seem real to me and I find it a bit cringe when I am being them. I generally liked to play crazy or out of box complex characters which generally require them to be evil to some level because they generally give more material for me to play with.

I also enjoyed to play some characters that have some opposite qualities from me. I was going through a period that I was even colder than my usual self in that period, but playing overly promiscuous character was fun to me.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my life is a stage im the actor
    mark zucc and jesus christ are my camera
    every inhale is repressing the urge to set everything on fire and every exhale is a panic attack
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money & Fame. That's the name of the game.
    Last edited by rizz; 04-21-2022 at 08:51 PM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've done a little bit. My first role was a tree when I was 8, then I was a murderous bear or something when I was 10, and then I was Duncan in Macbeth when I was 18. All through school

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately my acting career peaked before it began.

In second grade, my teacher decided that our class would put on a play for the school. A guy came in and had each student stand up and recite some lines. After I gave my performance, I overheard the guy tell my teacher that I was the only one who tried to act. Everyone else was just reading from the paper. They chose me to play the main character.

A few weeks later, my teacher pulled me aside and said that my mom had called the school. Our family was moving, and I would be going to a different school soon. She asked me who I thought should replace me in the play. The guy who was directing the play was always telling me to speak louder during rehearsals, so I gave her the name of a boy who spoke loudly and clearly during class.

Later that day, my teacher announced to the class that I was moving schools. She asked me to stand up and tell everyone who I wanted to replace me in the play. Kids shot up their hands and said "pick me, pick me!". I pointed to the boy, said his name, sat back down and tried not to cry. I was furious with my teacher for making me announce who I picked like this. I felt betrayed. Didn't she know that all my friends would be mad at me for not picking them? It turns out that I was wrong, none of my classmates cared or held my decision against me.

As I grew older, I grew more self-conscious and developed a fear of public speaking. But when my friends signed up for theater class in 9th grade, I signed up with them. I hated theater class and avoided performing on stage whenever possible. I told my teacher that I didn't memorize my lines, but sometimes she handed them to me on a piece of paper and told me to get up on stage anyway. I read my lines and returned to my seat as quickly as possible.

My theater teacher warned me that I was in danger of failing her class. The only way to avoid this, she said, was to complete the final assignment--a monologue on stage, in front of the class, by myself. She told me that reading my lines wouldn't cut it--I had to memorize them AND make an effort to act, too.

I didn't want to fail the class, so I picked a monologue where the character was sad and scared. During my final performance, my stage fright was so terrible that I was on the verge of tears the entire time and didn't have to act--my eyes watered and my voice trembled naturally out of fear. By the time it was over, my teacher had tears in HER eyes. She stood up and clapped and said it was the most moving performance that she had seen all day lol.

Anyway, I'm less self-conscious now than I was in 9th grade, and now acting sounds kind of...fun? I'm sure that I would still have some fear of performing in front of people, but I think it might be a good way to get out of my shell. Maybe I'll look into a local acting class.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! I was in my school's drama club from 7th grade through graduating high school! I still miss it so much. I've always been into cosplay and theatricality in general. I loved everything about it - making the costumes, sitting in a circle for our cold reads, casting auditions, rehearsals, and all the backstage drama and flirting that went on. Every girlfriend I had was through drama. I didn't end up with any boyfriends from it cause I don't think I was as open to my bisexuality then, but like half the guys there were totally bi or gay and we "jokingly" did plenty of flirting with each other too. It was so great though. My mom actually still teaches the costuming/tech department of the club
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ILI-H
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only did one play back in high school because they were mainly interested in musicals, which I was not. Later that same year I would join Forensics to get out of Phy Ed (don't ask me how that works), and I ended up taking back first in regionals for solo humorous (the monologue is called Nine Point Eight Meters Per Second Per Second by Pete Barry, if you are interested.) I remember that while I enjoyed the acting itself and improving at the roles, getting good feedback, I did not much care for my fellow performers and mostly ended up hanging out with the light/sound crew during rehearsals, but that was likely also to do with them being part of my DnD group at the time (also fun).

It is interesting to note that I've never had stage fright while doing these sorts of character performances, even though I am very plainly anxious when speaking publicly as myself.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I did some plays back in high school, really liked it, and went to an acting school a few years after graduating but stayed only one trimester.

More recently, I've done some work as an extra, a silhouette role in a student film (I was a barman) and a main role in another student film.

I honestly don't like acting in front of a camera much. I don't like having to repeat the same shots 45 times, and memorizing lines of text is annoying. When I was younger I wanted to be a film actor but my experience with acting in front of a camera, although mostly good in terms of human relations, made me realize it's not something I enjoy a great deal. I would still do theater, especially improv, for fun.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in school plays here and there.

Choirs, small groups. Singing Solo's eventually. I perform music best in front of a lot of people. The smaller the audience group, the more anxiety hits hard.

I liked acting, but found my sp likeness to know I'd have roles and parts that I wouldn't want and didn't want to go there ever. So no acting career for me. LOL

Speeches to any group, no way. I hate it.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)