Thread: Inspirational quotes

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“Man may reproach women for their dissimulation, but his complacency must be great indeed for him to be so constantly duped.”
    Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” ~ William Gibson

I believe strongly in this.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

~ Brian Cox

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“If I didn’t define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people’s fantasies for me and eaten alive.” (Audre Lorde)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Music is liquid architecture; Architecture is frozen music." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"If Architecture is frozen music, imagine what would happen in a thaw." ~ Matt Dixon

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

The company you keep not only defines you but binds you...Panache Desai
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” ~ William Gibson
    I've never been crazy about this one since couldn't being surrounded by assholes lead to that especially the latter?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no, not me
    We never lost control
    You're face to face
    With the man who sold the world
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“Like anybody can tell you, I am not a very nice man. I don't know the word. I have
    always admired the villain, the outlaw, the son of a bitch.

I'm more interested in perverts than saints.

I don't like laws, morals, religions, rules. I don't like to be
    shaped by society.” (South of No North)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At some point the world's beauty becomes enough. You don't need to photograph, paint or even remember it. It is enough. (Toni Morrison)

“I used to think that I could never lose anyone if I photographed them enough. In fact, my pictures show me how much I’ve lost.” (Nan Goldin)

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” ― Oscar Wilde

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."
    Robert Frost
    Last edited by Moonbeaux Rainfox; 07-12-2015 at 09:06 AM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“We each have our own mixed bag of neurosis, insecurities, perceptions and qualities. Therefore, there is not one way that works completely for us all. Nobody can tell us what to accept; what opens up our world, and what to reject; what seems to keep us spinning in some kind of repetitive misery. This practice (meditation, mindfulness, awareness – whatever you want to call it) helps us know this basic energy very well, with tremendous warmth and honesty, and we begin to figure out for ourselves what is poison and what is medicine” –Pema Chödrön
    Last edited by Aylen; 01-19-2015 at 06:44 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

• Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic.
    • Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.
    • Friendship is like peeing in your pants: Everyone can see it but only you can feel its warmth.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“It’s hard to hear the music behind the words when their meanings get in the way,” she told me once.”

“Mono no aware, my son, is an empathy with the universe.”

Ken Liu, Mono no Aware

TIM
    α-ω
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The spirit of resistance to government
    is so valuable on certain occasions,
    that I wish it to be always kept alive.
    It will often be exercised when wrong
    but better so than not to be exercised at all.
    I like a little rebellion now and then.
    It is like a storm in the atmosphere."
    Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

“We each have our own mixed bag of neurosis, insecurities, perceptions and qualities. Therefore, there is not one way that works completely for us all. Nobody can tell us what to accept; what opens up our world, and what to reject; what seems to keep us spinning in some kind of repetitive misery. This practice (meditation, mindfulness, awareness – whatever you want to call it) helps us know this basic energy very well, with tremendous warmth and honesty, and we begin to figure out for ourselves what is poison and what is medicine” –Pema Chödrön
    Shows you mentioned this to me and oddly reminds me of a poem I sent to someone about pain recently which I first heard bits of from the guy in my avatar.

On Pain
    Kahlil Gibran

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
    Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.
    And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy;
    And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.
    And you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief.

Much of your pain is self-chosen.
    It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
    Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquillity:
    For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen,
    And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morningthaw View Post
    Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.
    Haha, that is actually a statement in an MBTI test in one of my books where the question is "which slogan better captures your point of view?". It's supposed to be more of a thing for those with a preference for Feeling. The thinking one was "People are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument."

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

"Question how does a girl who falls, no actually jumps eyes wide open, down a rabbit hole, plummeting into chaos come out unchanged?
    Answer, she doesn't."

"A clean break is easier. You can reset it, and it heals, and you move on, but if you leave things messy, and things don't get put right, then it just hurts, forever."

"Perhaps luck exists somewhere between the world of planning, the world of chance, and the peace that comes from knowing that you just can't know it all."

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Stop giving a shit and the shitheads won't keep you at their level.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

People living deeply have no fear of death.
    Anais Nin

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

"Try your hand at predicting future events. In the beginning, it does not matter whether or not your predictions are true. You will be stretching your consciousness into areas usually unused."
    The Nature of the Psyche
    Session 764, Page 48

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

"Knowledge automatically changes the personality and the camouflage structure through which it flows. Knowledge, in other words, is action."

YWIMW

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“I don't feel that it is necessary to know exactly what I am. The main interest in life and work is to become someone else that you were not in the beginning.”

“From the idea that the self is not given to us, I think there is only one practical consequence: we have to create ourselves as a work of art.”

Foucault

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Rimbaud
    My turn now. The story of one of my insanities.

For a long time I boasted that I was master of all possible landscapes and I thought the great figures of modern painting and poetry were laughable.

What I liked were: absurd paintings, pictures over doorways, stage sets, carnival backdrops, billboards, bright-colored prints; old-fashioned literature, church Latin, erotic books full of misspellings, the kind of novels our grandmothers read, fairy tales, little children's books, old operas, silly old songs, the nave rhythms of country rimes.

I dreamed of Crusades, voyages of discovery that nobody had heard of, republics without histories, religious wars stamped out, revolutions in morals, movements of races and continents: I used to believe in every kind of magic.

I invented colors for the vowels! - A black, E white, I red, O blue, U green. - I made rules for the form and movement of every consonant, and I boasted of inventing, with rhythms from within me, a kind of poetry that all the senses, sooner or later, would recognize. And I alone would be its translator.

I began it as an investigation. I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I hypothesize that in science, there is no truth. Everything is a belief.
    A fact has the benefit of past events as a foundation of proof, yet the further into the future you look, the likelihood of that fact becoming disproven approaches 1. So it can be said that all current knowledge isn't factual, but rather a collection of knowledge that's currently believed to be factual. Therefore, everything is a belief.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"This is life, we suffer and slave and expire that's it"

"I am a quitter, I come for long line of quitters, it's suprsing that I am here at all."

Dylan Moran/ Bernard Black with all the love he has for life < 3

"My new catchphrase is 'I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!'"

"Let's see. Giant star in the sky, oxygen rich atmosphere, giant testicle monsters. Yeah we're good; let's keep this party going!"

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Last edited by mu4; 09-11-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Trolling, ****** is banned

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Weird things have been happening to me for a couple days. I do believe in magic.

Everything seems so dreamy. hahaha
    Last edited by Aylen; 09-11-2015 at 01:39 AM.

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Now I am thinking of all that energy I spent climbing in and out of windows.

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I actually found this more amusing than inspiring but the "peerless poet of passionate perfection" was genius.

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/4326...f-being-creepy
    Last edited by Aylen; 09-28-2015 at 06:47 PM.

YWIMW

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"The fact is you cannot be intelligent merely by choosing your opinions. The intelligent man is not the man who holds such-and-such views but the man who has sound reasons for what he believes and yet does not believe it dogmatically. And opinions held for sounds reason have less emotional unity than the opinions of dogmatists because reason is non-party, favouring now one side and now another. That is what people find so unpleasant about it. In education, pupils ought to be made to admit one unpleasant opinion everyday, and no person whose views form a self-consistent whole should be allowed to teach. Then, perhaps, the virulence of orthodoxies might diminish." ~ Bertrand Russell

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"beware of anything that you hear yourself saying often." - susan sontag

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Of course not … but I am told it works even if you don't believe in it." - Niels Bohr: a reply to a visitor to his home in Tisvilde who asked him if he really believed a horseshoe above his door brought him luck, as quoted in Inward Bound : Of Matter and Forces in the Physical World (1986) by Abraham Pais, p. 210

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast