Thread: the great gatsby

Hybrid View

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought Gatsby was an IEI, unsure of subtype, probably some 4/3 variant and sp-last. I don't see how his opportunism is prominent enough to be considered typologically relevant, let alone indicative of ILE. He just seemed skilled and relatively lucky.

Daisy was probably SLE, but I can see arguments for EIE. I think her kind of lazily removed airiness is more reflective of EP than EJ.

Tom was Te-LSE. imperiousness, overdone machismo, tasteless, aristocratic hauteur...

Jordan could be Se-LSI, or possibly Se-ESI, can't see much else.

Nick was probably ILI. intuitive, reflective, conservative, distantly admiring of gatsby's idealism.

Myrtle struck me as some some Se-dominant, and her husband was likely SLI.

Wolfsheim could be LIE.

the movie was decent, but I felt the 'old sport's' and dicaprio's enthusiasm were a bit overdone.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I always thought Gatsby was an IEI, unsure of subtype, probably some 4/3 variant and sp-last. I don't see how his opportunism is prominent enough to be considered typologically relevant, let alone indicative of ILE. He just seemed skilled and relatively lucky.

Daisy was probably SLE, but I can see arguments for EIE. I think her kind of lazily removed airiness is more reflective of EP than EJ.

Tom was Te-LSE. imperiousness, overdone machismo, tasteless, aristocratic hauteur...

Jordan could be Se-LSI, or possibly Se-ESI, can't see much else.

Nick was probably ILI. intuitive, reflective, conservative, distantly admiring of gatsby's idealism.

Myrtle struck me as some some Se-dominant, and her husband was likely SLI.

Wolfsheim could be LIE.

the movie was decent, but I felt the 'old sport's' and dicaprio's enthusiasm were a bit overdone.
    I pretty much completely agree with this except I'm not sure about Gatsby.

I never thought Gatsby was IEI. I figured something closer to SLI or LSI.

Nick may have been ILI in the book but I think in the movie he was definitely Fe creative. Plus I refuse any association with Toby Maguire.

I wasn't a huge fan of the book but I hated the movie. Almost every Delta I know loved the movie.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    I wasn't a huge fan of the book but I hated the movie. Almost every Delta I know loved the movie.
    I didn't like the movie at all and I usually really like Baz Luhrmann's movies. I like the Redford/Mia Farrow version better but still.... I don't get why this is such a classic. A story about awful people...

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epheme View Post
    I didn't like the movie at all and I usually really like Baz Luhrmann's movies. I like the Redford/Mia Farrow version better but still.... I don't get why this is such a classic. A story about awful people...
    I agree; I liked the older one better. I haven't seen any other Baz luhrmann's movies other than Romeo+Juliet, which seems to be something similar to what he did with the Great Gatsby. At least with the Romeo+Juliet movie he took the style so far out there that you can see the ridiculousness as like an interesting take on a classic whereas the modern Great Gatsby just seemed confused. I'm also am not for this useless mixing of CGI to dramatize scenes. It's like he expected the visual effects to carry the boringness of it. The personalities of the people were also rather lackluster and really just not worth watching. Just my opinion.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epheme View Post
    I don't see how it's a story about awful people. gatsby is self-deceptive and a little superficial, but ingenuous and redeeming in a kind of idyllic way; daisy is somewhat specious, but has a necessary feminine presence and inspires a certain lackadaisical hopefulness (thinking of the 'lightness' that underpins her character); jordan is kind of scandalous, but in a fitting, necessary way (one that I would argue is inversely redemptive, in light of the corruption of the times), and plays her part well; and tom is definitely depraved, but innocent and misguided in his own way. nick to me was a pretty stand up guy overall. tbh I think the moral faults and limitations of the characters were just an encapsulation of the mood of the times, not really something to pass a verdict on.

and I agree with solaris. it's one of a few books (along with The Catcher in the Rye and The Stranger) that I actually feel should be required reading.
    Last edited by strrrng; 10-06-2014 at 02:52 AM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@strrrng
    Is the writing style similar to The Stranger and Catcher in the Rye?

I never read this one. Saw half of the movie and didn't think it was all that amazing of a story, but I've heard it's a hard book to make into a movie.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lungs already knows, but just to chime in:

Gatsby: EIE
    Daisy: SLE
    Tom: LSI (although LSE isn't far off)
    Nick: IEI

i haven't revisited this book for a long while so i'm not definite about the typings, but i've always thought this book is beta as fuck.