• No. Only Connect. Only Socionics.

5 6.25%
  • No.

9 11.25%
  • otter

17 21.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you Believe in Global Warming?

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncli...tcallback=true

This study claims that almost two-thirds of the impacts related to atmospheric and oceanic temperature can be confidently attributed to anthropogenic drivers, or man-made causes.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mu4 View Post
    it's quite evident man can have a major effect on the environment.
    From Wiki:

North America has mixed perceptions on climate change ranging from Mexico and Canada that are both more concerned, and the United States, the world's second largest emitter,[7]that is less concerned. Mexico is the most concerned about climate change of the three countries in North America. 90% consider climate change to be a very serious problem and 83% believe that climate change is harming people substantially right now.[10] Canadians are also seriously concerned, 20% are extremely concerned, 30% are definitely concerned, 31% are somewhat concerned and only 19% are not very/not at all concerned about climate change.[11] While the United States which is the largest emitter of CO2 in North America and the second largest emitter of CO2 in the world[7] has the lowest degrees of concern about climate change in North America. While 61% of Americans say they are concerned about climate change,[12] that is 30% lower than Mexico and 20% lower than Canada. 41% believe that climate change could impact them personally. Nonetheless, 70% of Americans believe that environmental protections are more important than economic growth according to a Yale climate opinion study.
    I think public perceptions in the U.S. about the threat of climate change are partly due to the fact that the U.S. has basically outsourced a substantial portion of its pollution containment to countries like Mexico. Up until the point that the U.S. started passing legislation to curb pollutants and toxicants, many companies just let pollution float down stream into Mexico, where debris aggregated and posed public health concerns. So now, the Mexicans have a more substantial historical precedent for believing in climate change than the U.S. Which, I think, really says something about how perceptions about climate change really develop: if climate change has a perceptible impact on you, point blank, you'll be much more likely to believe in it than, say, if it's framed as a statistic. That's what climate scientists and environmentalists really need to understand in order to frame their message in a persuasive way. They need to demonstrate basic, common sense, concrete reasons for why climate change is a threat at least on par with the pollutants in Gwalior, India or Xingtai, China - illustrating why aspects of climate change are short term public health concerns.
    Last edited by Desert Financial; 12-02-2018 at 12:03 AM.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing to believe regarding this issue. There is evidence to be analyzed and there are conclusions that can be drawn from the evidence. To go against this is idiotic. To politicize this is idiotic.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know anything about global warming. I've read articles and looked at graphs, but that's the extent of my exploration. I can't test the idea myself, so assertion of ignorance is probably the only thing I can do while remaining intellectually honest.

Irrationally, I'm partial to the idea that global warming isn't a thing, or if it is, the mainstream misunderstands it somehow. For some reason, I'm disinclined to believe in the mainstream consensus view just because I feel like it's being shoved down my throat by force instead of through some better means. I just kind of automatically get the idea that there's some ulterior motive at play when that kind of thing happens.

Personally, I like entertaining the idea that we're going to experience a new mini ice age. But that's because I like cold weather and hate summer, except for the extended sunlight hours I can use to go outside.

There's something I read that indicated that all the increased warming cold actually set off/trigger a cooling cycle. How fun is that?

I think it would be exciting to have another Tambora event. Supposedly, the sunsets were spectacular after that.

Global warming discussions are interesting intellectual masturbation. The oligarchs don't care about what we think. It all amounts to free entertainment. Argue and bitch about the other side and do nothing.
    Last edited by Aramas; 12-02-2018 at 04:09 AM.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe in climate change existing as a thing. I also believe humans have a negative impact on the environment and should be trying their best to alleviate it ASAP. However, I’m unsure that the behaviour of humans has created most of the climate change effects that we’re experiencing currently. I’d need more information and convincing. Generally speaking I don’t believe in anything that I can’t test myself and that is from information from really distant sources which I’m not sure if I can trust or not yet. On the other hand, it is very hard to conspiracize things at a mass level... but we do have very rich and powerful people in this world, so idk...

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    I believe in climate change existing as a thing. I also believe humans have a negative impact on the environment and should be trying their best to alleviate it ASAP. However, I’m unsure that the behaviour of humans has created most of the climate change effects that we’re experiencing currently. I’d need more information and convincing. Generally speaking I don’t believe in anything that I can’t test myself and that is from information from really distant sources which I’m not sure if I can trust or not yet. On the other hand, it is very hard to conspiracize things at a mass level... but we do have very rich and powerful people in this world, so idk...
    You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get away with bullshit. Most people today are so concerned with their own lives that they don't explore anything that's outside their immediate daily lives. They have also been trained since early childhood to trust the government. It's impossible to understate how powerful that brain programming is. Even people who often claim to be anti-government don't know half of what the government has been up to. People don't know that it's proven fact (or at least "confessed fact") that the US government used weather modification technology decades ago during the Vietnam War to intensify monsoons and wash out the Viet Cong. What's possible today if they had that technology back then? The trillions of dollars that go missing in the government's budget are definitely going somewhere. At best, it's a good idea to get people to say, "You know, I don't think this is true, but I'm curious enough to look into it."

It used to be that they would spray certain chemicals into the sky like silver iodide (I think) to seed clouds and stuff like that. According to Michio Kaku, they can use lasers now, or that's a newer technology that might be on the horizon. And that's technology that someone can talk about publicly. Who knows what they're willing to do? Modify the weather a bit and make a few hard years so that people misconstrue weather for climate and end up giving the government more power so they can combat "climate change"? I don't know. But it's fun to just consider random thoughts even though we can't prove them.
    Last edited by Aramas; 12-02-2018 at 07:03 PM.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get away with bullshit. Most people today are so concerned with their own lives that they don't explore anything that's outside their immediate daily lives. They have also been trained since early childhood to trust the government. It's impossible to understate how powerful that brain programming is. Even people who often claim to be anti-government don't know half of what the government has been up to. People don't know that it's proven fact (or at least "confessed fact") that the US government used weather modification technology decades ago during the Vietnam War to intensify monsoons and wash out the Viet Cong. What's possible today if they had that technology back then? The trillions of dollars that go missing in the government's budget are definitely going somewhere. At best, it's a good idea to get people to say, "You know, I don't think this is true, but I'm curious enough to look into it."
    That’s exactly what I would ideally aim for. Using facts easily at hand already to point out questionable things and to get as deep as possible to make people curious and wanting to get more into the habit of questioning and looking into things themselves.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    That’s exactly what I would ideally aim for. Using facts easily at hand already to point out questionable things and to get as deep as possible to make people curious and wanting to get more into the habit of questioning and looking into things themselves.
    Yeah. People think they live in a free country. At the same time, there's this place called Area 51. If you go to Area 51 and cross a certain property line, you will very likely be shot on sight. And they will shoot to kill. A lot of people know that, but they don't connect the dots. "Yes, the government doesn't tell us certain things it does, but we still live in a free country." There are a lot of hidden discontinuities in the thought lives of most people.

There's a lot of pressure to vote that has begun on social media. Why does Facebook tell people to vote? Why does the dating website OkCupid point out the fact that they allow users to exclude matches who don't vote from their search results? Could it be that the act of voting itself makes an individual more likely to trust the government? Why do I have to pick a side? Could it be that both sides of the global warming debate are frauds? If so, why? What if global warming is true, but they still push both sides to mire people in a pointless debate over shit they have no control over?
    Last edited by Aramas; 12-02-2018 at 07:43 PM.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Yeah. People think they live in a free country. At the same time, there's this place called Area 51. If you go to Area 51 and cross a certain property line, you will very likely be shot on sight. And they will shoot to kill. A lot of people know that, but they don't connect the dots. "Yes, the government doesn't tell us certain things it does, but we still live in a free country." There are a lot of hidden discontinuities in the thought lives of most people.

There's a lot of pressure to vote that has begun on social media. Why does Facebook tell people to vote? Why does the dating website OkCupid point out the fact that they allow users to exclude matches who don't vote from their search results? Could it be that the act of voting itself makes an individual more likely to trust the government? Why do I have to pick a side? Could it be that both sides of the global warming debate are frauds? If so, why? What if global warming is true, but they still push both sides to mire people in a pointless debate over shit they have no control over?
    Critical thinking. Tfw unconscious gamma NT is on point.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do believe global warming is real. And it seems ridiculous to think, with the amount we've transformed the world, our emissions and consumption don't contribute to the climate.

But the proposed solutions that are continually brought up by the left, taxes on drivers (free movement) and increased power for global bodies, make me think skepticism is warranted. I'd prefer to solve it in a way that doesn't empower liberal bureaucrats and weaken national sovereignty, that's just replacing one bad trend with another.
    Last edited by Hela; 12-02-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Ugly grammar

https://youtu.be/JirvSuZQ-gA?t=225
    TIM
    IEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

probably not

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no need to believe in global warming, because there are too much collected data that supports the claim that it happens.
    Believe is for ideologies or religion, we have to deal with measurable effects here.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think global warming is real, probably part of it is man-made but there's surely a part of "normal" cycles.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah the winters are less harsh than 15 years ago here. Why would it not be real

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you "believe" scientists when they tell you about the weak nuclear force? Anyone educated "believes" in climate change. It's been known of for decades.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Let’s see the race to extinction
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I believe in warming in my tubes. They help to have lesser ice in a tea in winters.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I am looking forward to global warming personally. I live in a cold country and I'd like to see less winter and more summer personally. If that means I should do my part by driving more and using up more energy then I will do my part gladly. I also look forward to seeing our coastal cities being under water in the future because of rising sea levels. Most coastal cities are trash anyways so it will be helping the environment if they're submerged under water.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

global warming believes in you~

Banned
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Anyways, on a serious note, I wish people would be less dogmatic about climate change like it is a religion, fear mongering about the world or humanity ending because of global warming, promoting half-assed solutions like carbon taxes on gas for automobiles and heating for homes that profit the government and corporations at the expense of the public that does little to actually improve the environment and reduce emissions. It's true, the Earth is warming and humans have a role to play in it and there will be consequences, but screaming the sky is falling constantly isn't going to do any good.

Instead, we should be directing our energy towards promoting hybrid and electrical cars, phasing out gas automobiles, moving away from fossil fuel power plants towards alternative sources of energy like solar, wind, hydro and hopefully one day nuclear fusion power. It also needs to be done in a way that is economically feasible within a reasonable time frame. It's pretty pathetic that we need an end of the world scenario to care about the environment and that we promote terrible solutions instead of effective ones because that's what the social narrative demands of us instead of thinking for ourselves.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

The planet will be fine. There are lots of planets with nothing on them except gas rock and dust
    We are what might be in trouble
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

those who believe in Global Warming will not be harmed by it!

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

belief is for the religious..

What I see is trash and pollution and I don't like it. Protecting the environment is not a lefty exclusive thing.
    You can't just trash the house, burn the barn, shit in the middle of the kitchen and then hand it down to your kids to live in. Same goes for the planet.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Climate change is true. But I no longer care. With about just 30 more years to live and no children to leave behind, it's not really my problem, it's the problem of all those ignorant people, even those who live vegan lifes and drive Teslas. So, this September I'm going to fly to Ibiza again, buy some bottle of Amaretto at the local Lidl and fill up. Deo Volente...
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Global warming doesn't feel and 9/11 was an inside dog. Coronavirus is a government hoax that the government doesn't believe in and there is an endless supply of ice at the edge of the world.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Global warming doesn't feel and 9/11 was an inside dog. Coronavirus is a government hoax that the government doesn't believe in and there is an endless supply of ice at the edge of the world.
    An endless supply of ice and whiskey. And just enough tumblers for everyone.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Climate change is true. But I no longer care. With about just 30 more years to live and no children to leave behind, it's not really my problem, it's the problem of all those ignorant people, even those who live vegan lifes and drive Teslas. So, this September I'm going to fly to Ibiza again, buy some bottle of Amaretto at the local Lidl and fill up. Deo Volente...
    Get it while you can. The average person will not be living like this again for 500 years. If then.

We have built a huge pyramid of capabilities, and some parts of it are becoming harder to support.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but what about our species and other species? I honestly can't bear the loss of so many other species, as I feel I helplessly watch and participate in our destruction of everything. Death. And it's also sad because humanity has such great promise, god we can't fuck it up with this because we can't control ourselves. It's just profoundly sad.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    but what about our species and other species? I honestly can't bear the loss of so many other species, as I feel I helplessly watch and participate in our destruction of everything. Death. And it's also sad because humanity has such great promise, god we can't fuck it up with this because we can't control ourselves. It's just profoundly sad.
    Check out youtube for the PBS series The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers, then buy and read the book that want with that series. You might start seeing things the way I see them, which is that in the larger scheme of things, it doesn't matter att all.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out youtube for the PBS series The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers, then buy and read the book that want with that series. You might start seeing things the way I see them, which is that in the larger scheme of things, it doesn't matter att all.
    Er. I can easily see things in nihilistic, cynical, or detached ways. I'm really not interested in perceiving this differently if it means become apathetic. Apathy is the very problem. It's not usually deep ime.

And I'm not unfamiliar with Campbell and don't believe that reading Campbell is the path for all people to see the world the same way when it comes to climate change. Yes spirituality can help one cope, but what would be more helpful is if the thing we all have to cope with was actually transformed into something that is no longer such a self-defeating tragedy.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Get it while you can. The average person will not be living like this again for 500 years. If then.

We have built a huge pyramid of capabilities, and some parts of it are becoming harder to support.
    Actually, I am part of the solution, not the problem, although it is not my intention to be part of the solution at all. I live a fairly modest life. I'm not very much of a consumer, because in order to be able to consume, you have to work a lot. Instead, I consume less so I have to work less and have more time for the simple things in life.

My god, I sound like an SLI!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Er. I can easily see things in nihilistic, cynical, or detached ways. I'm really not interested in perceiving this differently if it means become apathetic. Apathy is the very problem. It's not usually deep ime.
    Actually, nihilistic is not the right word, the way Campbell makes it clear to us, it leads us far away from nihilism. But in order to get there, we need to get our heads out of our moralistic asses, and drop our assumptions about what is good and bad, even the notion that there are such things as good and bad. If we do what is truly 'good' for ourselves, we serve the planet while we are doing it. The how it is not new knowledge, the very first chapter of the Bible already explains to us how God meant for us to live our life. But a life in Paradise apparently wasn't good enough for Adam and Eve.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, nihilistic is not the right word, the way Campbell makes it clear to us, it leads us far away from nihilism. But in order to get there, we need to get our heads out of our moralistic asses, and drop our assumptions about what is good and bad, even the notion that there are such things as good and bad. If we do what is truly 'good' for ourselves, we serve the planet while we are doing it. The how it is not new knowledge, the very first chapter of the Bible already explains to us how God meant for us to live our life. But a life in Paradise apparently wasn't good enough for Adam and Eve.
    You said you don't care anymore earlier, that's what I was responding to. You did say as well that it's not your problem and people in the future can deal with it, which is a common apathetic mindset (screw it all, someone else can deal with it). Anyway, sure I could surrender my worldly concerns and just go back to me, but I don't feel that was really doing anything either. It's clearly better to just neurotically post about this stuff online.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said you don't care anymore earlier, that's what I was responding to. You did say as well that it's not your problem and people in the future can deal with it, which is a common apathetic mindset (screw it all, someone else can deal with it). Anyway, sure I could surrender my worldly concerns and just go back to me, but I don't feel that was really doing anything either. It's clearly better to just neurotically post about this stuff online.
    I don't expect people to understand, each and every single person has to work this out for themselves. But most people never will, and thus they are screwed.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Misanthropy, love it.

Like Sir Bowen from Brave Heart says "one must earn a living".

As long as you remain a good person, that's all that matters. We are here for such a short time, and forces far beyond an individual's choices are at work. Get it while you can, according to your own ethics and societies shame-rules. Build your own world, away from the crowds. Enjoy what we have now. Life will always continue. Even a comet couldn't stop it. Yes it's a shame to loose so much nature, but there is a collective bitchiness about it that isn't healthy.

Get outside into nature more. Get a mountain bike. Actually feel the stone under your feet as you fight gravity up a MTN side. Get your hands dirty. See outside the concepts. Look around. Does that rainbow circle around the sun look natural. Of course not. Embrace this or be prepared to fight a political battle front all the years of your life.

Sacrifice all the consumption, but don't be a miser. The rich are taking from you anyway. Also, don't be a slob either, for respect and it's lack is found in all things.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast