• No. Only Connect. Only Socionics.

5 6.25%
  • No.

9 11.25%
  • otter

17 21.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you Believe in Global Warming?

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where have all the frogs gone?

Haha all you science worshipers and it's dissents...forgetting you also have eyes a brain and memory, or has science also taught you not to trust your own instincts as well?

It's not real until a double blind observational experiment is done in this narrow band of parameters with these specific variables without sticking to one formal conclusion for fear of being to desisive.

And then all the rest who need to fight that process in and of itself for wtv personal reasons you've decided makes the most sense to you, because science is not always one hundred percent.

I just don't care anymore. We are going to use every last drop of this planet and no authoritarian system of Government is going to stop it in the low run without giving up what makes us human in the first place to the collective Institutional hedgemony that back door benefits the oilagarchs anyway.

Again, go outside and see things with your own eyes. Get sunburned and feel the pastures drying in the heat. Make your own observations and stop relying on outsourced experience from a scientific paper, or a opinionated YouTube vlogger.

It's not an either or issue.

It's a yes and ...

Yes global warming is happening now and I'm still going to keep living and using resources because that is a right given to all free people.

Like I said a misanthrope about this topic.
    Last edited by timber; 06-26-2020 at 11:58 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where the historical high is about 84 F and it rarely reaches 91 F. My house is 81 years old and it’s never had air conditioning. Never needed it.

This year, we’ve had weeks when the temperature was in the nineties. I installed air conditioning.

I was just talking to my buddy in Bozeman, Montana, where the historical highs have been around 84 F. This year, he’s seeing day after day in the nineties. His house has never needed air conditioning before, but now he’s installing air conditioning.

Between us, we’re making the temperatures worse, but the alternative is to be unable to work productively. I can only imagine what life is like in countries where the temperatures are in the hundreds and they can’t afford air conditioning.

There has to be a solution to this global warming problem, and I think it begins with the word “nuclear”.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nuclear is what almost all LIE push nowadays now that they are slowly realizing that free market capitalism is nearing its end. Anyway, it's already too late to do anything. We ain't getting out of this one alive. Climate Change will be THE topic of this century and even the most close-minded conservatives will start to realize what mess we are in soon. Humanity has discovered fossil fuels 300 years ago and has been in a constant extraction mode since and our whole economic system depends on infinite growth or collapse. The only real future I see is a collective move to the delta quadra which means we will live an extremly simple life for quite a long time, or we face extinction.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course not, it still snows in New York.
    Trump said so.

It's like we are being cooked in our own stupidity.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The inspiration for two of the poll options:

"Only Connect!" is from an E.M. Forster quote.

"otter" is what I used to put on every poll instead of "other".

TIM
    ILE-H
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The great thing about science is that it's still true even if you don't believe in it.
    [Today 03:36 AM] anotherperson: this forum feels like the edge of the internet

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveYouDrZaius View Post
    The great thing about science is that it's still true even if you don't believe in it.
    The problem that we have is that most politicians and corporations think they can negotiate with physics

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than LIE push "Nuclear" ... ILI and SEE in our house think it's smart to go "Nuclear" --as in, power plants should be such.

They are being built around the US in some places still. That's good.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

totally normal, nothing to see here. the climate has always been changing blah blah

The total amount of carbon dioxide emitted since the beginning of industrialization largely determines the extent of geothermal heat. That's because most of the warming is caused by CO₂, and CO₂ stays in the atmosphere for a very long time, sometimes tens of thousands of years. Because global warming depends on the total - i.e. cumulative - amount of emissions, each climate target means a certain residual amount that we can still emit. This is the global emissions budget, which can be found in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change reports. According to the latest report from this year, we can still emit around 500 billion tons of CO₂ from the beginning of 2020 in order to remain below 1.5 degrees with a roughly 50 percent probability. By 2020, humanity has already emitted 2,400 billion tons, with an uncertainty of plus or minus ten percent. Since around 40 billion tons of CO₂ are currently emitted per year, mankind would have used up this budget in 10 years from now if the emissions were constantly high, with a linear decrease in 20 years. According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), emissions should therefore be halved worldwide by 2030.

Now, from a psychological perspective, how do we achieve that? Globally, we are deeply controlled by Gamma values, which means individualism, freedom, democracy, which gives us the ability to do whatever we want as long as we have the financial means. How do you now decrease emissions without violently surpressing everyones freedom? well, you don't. Quadra changes don't happen like that. We won't change our whole structure of society over night, which means that we will head straight to 3 degrees of global warming without doing anything about it.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The isotopic signature of fossil fuel carbon (high concentration of carbon-12, low concentrations of carbon-13 & carbon-14) is a strong match for the changing isotopic signature of atmospheric carbon (rising concentration of carbon-12, falling concentrations of carbon-13 & carbon-14 relative to carbon-12).

You can't prove anything in science, obviously, but the similarity between the two compositions is highly suggestive, and outright discarding the possibility is inattentive to say the least.

What are isotopes? https://www.energy.gov/science/doe-explainsisotopes

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I "believe"* in cyclic phenomena, global warming is one of them. It precedes and annonces a new age (no pun intended) like global cooling precedes and annonces Ice ages. I think that natural things are always in transition from one state to another, that's a given. Now, what about our contribution to the so called "acceleration" of global warming ? Although greenhouse gas emissions have certainly an influence on that acceleration, I don't know to which degree that influence is impacting the acceleration phenomenon. For instance, If a plane crash (in land) is inevitable to which degree do the safety informations presented by the flight attendant can be relevant ? How many people would survive such a crash because they have applied those safety informations to the letter ? The answer is probably none of them. Another example would be the 2004 tsunami, we all remember that guy in the beach facing the wave (god bless his soul), to which degree did his body contribute to the deceleration of the monstrous wave ? To an insignificant degree, in fact it's as if that man was not there. I think, that we can "limit the damage" to a certain degree by reducing greenhouse gas emissions, but we can not avoid the phenomenon. Furthermore, some people think that global warming is a direct consequence of human activity meaning that it would not have happened at all without human presence on earth. Well, that's nonsense. Some even blame overpopulation because breathing contribute to global warming (carbon gas emission). Well, that's true in theory (and incidentally insignificant) but a better global living space distribution could solve the problem, in theory. I think reducing the deforestation of the Amazon rainforest would not hurt either, but I digress. Anyways, all that makes regret the good old time when we were worried about that Ozone hole, I think it's the real killer in this cosmic crime novel...

* things are either true or false and rarely both, I love paradoxes though...

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alive View Post

totally normal, nothing to see here. the climate has always been changing blah blah

The total amount of carbon dioxide emitted since the beginning of industrialization largely determines the extent of geothermal heat. That's because most of the warming is caused by CO₂, and CO₂ stays in the atmosphere for a very long time, sometimes tens of thousands of years. Because global warming depends on the total - i.e. cumulative - amount of emissions, each climate target means a certain residual amount that we can still emit. This is the global emissions budget, which can be found in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change reports. According to the latest report from this year, we can still emit around 500 billion tons of CO₂ from the beginning of 2020 in order to remain below 1.5 degrees with a roughly 50 percent probability. By 2020, humanity has already emitted 2,400 billion tons, with an uncertainty of plus or minus ten percent. Since around 40 billion tons of CO₂ are currently emitted per year, mankind would have used up this budget in 10 years from now if the emissions were constantly high, with a linear decrease in 20 years. According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), emissions should therefore be halved worldwide by 2030.

Now, from a psychological perspective, how do we achieve that? Globally, we are deeply controlled by Gamma values, which means individualism, freedom, democracy, which gives us the ability to do whatever we want as long as we have the financial means. How do you now decrease emissions without violently surpressing everyones freedom? well, you don't. Quadra changes don't happen like that. We won't change our whole structure of society over night, which means that we will head straight to 3 degrees of global warming without doing anything about it.
    I think that day was the hottest ever recorded in the UK, and it was the busiest day for London firefighters since World War 2.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. It wouldn't normally be a big deal, because people did it, so they can undo it. And people are not killing the planet. The planet was hotter when the cyanobacteria caused climate change in prehistory and it's still here. No, what I think is hard for people to really just look straight at is the fact that climate change is not killing the planet in any sense, it is only really humans killing themselves collectively.

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I think that day was the hottest ever recorded in the UK, and it was the busiest day for London firefighters since World War 2.
    global warming is really the ultimate black pill. we live in a global gamma economy that is focused on individualism, money, freedom, where the worth of a person is determined by their income. there's not enough time and we don't have the structures to face this issue that requires global cooperation. we are simply not going to do anything. the devastating news is that shooting over 2 degrees means that there could potentially be feedback loops kicking in that would easily put us around 4-6 degrees of warming without humanity even being able to do anything about it. Like 4-6 degrees is something that humanity simply can't survive. imagine the carnage that is going to happen.

the only optimistic outlook on this issue is that somewhere on the road to 3 degrees, the global economy will completely collapse because supply chains will not be functioning anymore. at the moment we are on track for 8! degrees of global warming, the most pessimistic scenario of the IPCC report. life in 20 years will simply not be the same as it is right now, whether we do something or not.

you really need to see it from this perspective: humans as we now them have been around for 300k years and roughly 300 years ago, we discovered fossil fuels, which we have been mindlessly using since. there wasn't enough time for humans to develop a responsible use for them. it's unfortunate that it's going to happen, but maybe a small number of humans will survive and move on.
    Last edited by on a peaceful hiatus; 08-08-2022 at 12:01 AM.
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not really a matter of belief, it's happening, this isn't disputable. How quickly may be up for debate, but doesn't seem that important in the grand scheme of things. But addressing it just isn't actually the top priority for saving the planet, or even that high of one... top priority is ending deforestation & water pollution, those are the two things driving mass extinctions. Destruction of habitat makes the planet uninhabitable... Animals & plants can adapt to changing temperatures, they have before - rising sea levels are more of an inconvenience to human beings than anything.

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sir that's my emotional support gremlin ApeironStella's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-Ne 5w4 594 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is always odd to see people arguing about this as someone living outside US tbh

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm optimistic (somewhat irrationally, I'll admit) that we'll find success with newer technologies (new forms of energy generation, carbon capture, massive geo-engineering projects, etc.) and avoid the most catastrophic outcomes. But life will probably get harder, we may have to revert to basics in some unpleasant ways, and important things will nonetheless be lost.
    Last edited by xerx; 08-08-2022 at 11:00 PM. Reason: ...

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's best to mentally toughen up. don't get used to comfort that you don't need.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've read, the second law of thermodynamics seems to have a lot of empirical evidence in its favor -- so temperatures in the long run probably approach 0 K, substantially cooler than the current global average.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    From what I've read, the second law of thermodynamics seems to have a lot of empirical evidence in its favor -- so temperatures in the long run probably approach 0 K, substantially cooler than the current global average.
    The laws of thermodynamics only apply to a closed system. I don't even think the universe is a closed system, much less the planet. The fact it seems to have begun from what is normally referred to as nothing seem to be strong evidence that it is an open system. Additionally, there are purportedly gravitational effects and similar that astronomers refer to as being somehow past the edge of the universe, which also seems to suggest the visible universe is very much an open system.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    The laws of thermodynamics only apply to a closed system. I don't even think the universe is a closed system, much less the planet. The fact it seems to have begun from what is normally referred to as nothing seem to be strong evidence that it is an open system. Additionally, there are purportedly gravitational effects and similar that astronomers refer to as being somehow past the edge of the universe, which also seems to suggest the visible universe is very much an open system.
    I posted that as a joke, but do you have any articles/information on that?

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but I'm in no position to do anything about it, so I don't worry about it. I'm sure humanity will figure things out eventually. I get tired of people trying to make me worry about it because all that does is generate senseless anxiety which is destructive in its own right
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I posted that as a joke, but do you have any articles/information on that?
    Yes! Sadly this is the most reputable of the pop-sci sources but you can go find the academic ones. I generally consider the universe to be an open system and don't think it'll end in a heat death. Big Crunch probably but as long as it doesn't repeat the exact same way it's still a thermodynamically open system not subject to entropy.

New Proof Unknown "Structures" Tug at Our Universe (nationalgeographic.com)

I think the best explanation is sort of a "braneworld" theory to be honest, but those aren't very fashionable. The only one that's even kind of fashionable is M-theory and that's just because people like theories to have as many dimensions as possible. I also think a braneworld theory is a better explanation than dark energy and dark matter, though I wouldn't rule out the effects of a braneworld also actually being somehow material or energetic in some sense (it's probably energetic at least by definition,) but I also literally got banned from r/Physics for posting about braneworlds even with academic citations so there's that.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! Sadly this is the most reputable of the pop-sci sources but you can go find the academic ones. I generally consider the universe to be an open system and don't think it'll end in a heat death. Big Crunch probably but as long as it doesn't repeat the exact same way it's still a thermodynamically open system not subject to entropy.
    What's a Heat death ? I don't have a heavy astronomical knowledge, but according to Stephen Hawking, Black holes do evaporate and when they do information (matter ? reality ?) is lost. If we consider the whole universe as a pure information, wouldn't be possible that in the end the whole universe will evaporate. I mean, if we consider the universe as an "ecosystem" we could say that out of all the predators in that ecosystem Gamma-Ray bursts and Black holes are at the top of the food chain. I can see that eventually after the long competition over matter due to astrophysical laws, all the universe will eventually look like (so to speak in fact we couldn't see it) an aggregate of black holes. At the end of this cosmic cannibalism "there can be only one" which eventually will evaporate. I like this scenario even if it doesn't make sense !

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    What's a Heat death ? I don't have a heavy astronomical knowledge, but according to Stephen Hawking, Black holes do evaporate and when they do information (matter ? reality ?) is lost. If we consider the whole universe as a pure information, wouldn't be possible that in the end the whole universe will evaporate. I mean, if we consider the universe as an "ecosystem" we could say that out of all the predators in that ecosystem Gamma-Ray bursts and Black holes are at the top of the food chain. I can see that eventually after the long competition over matter due to astrophysical laws, all the universe will eventually look like (so to speak in fact we couldn't see it) an aggregate of black holes. At the end of this cosmic cannibalism "there can be only one" which eventually will evaporate. I like this scenario even if it doesn't make sense !
    You are describing a closed system. Heat death refers to thermodynamics more than astronomy, but it's mostly referred to in the context of the cosmological idea that the Universe will just whimper out due to entropy. Black holes aren't predators. Many people think that black holes lead out to white holes or wormholes, and Stephen Hawking says black holes do give out radiation (Hawking radiation.) I tend to think they probably "lead out" to just regular stars or nebulas nowadays (perhaps only specific kinds.) People like Stephen Hawking seem promoted by the pop-sci channels and publishers more for their cynicism than that they know what they're talking about in many cases. However, the idea that there wasn't really "nothingness" before the Universe is probably something very spot-on that got through the usual sieve of cynicism and politics.

Edit: I also think probably the "gravitational objects beyond the universe" is most likely to match the description of black holes and that the opposite would be a point where things entered the universe. I don't think of it as this Darwinist thing, indeed, I don't think Darwin had a good model even of evolution, much less pseudoscientifically applying Darwin's version of evolution to astronomy. I brought up braneworlds because it seems more describable in terms of low-dimension topology than anything (which M-Theory is not but other less popular models like Randall-Sundrum 2 are. Yes, three-dimensional surfaces of four-dimensional objects are covered by low-dimensional topology and not high-dimensional topology.) I think it's mostly related to the speed of light being finite and surfaces curving in a 4-dimensional space interacting with that. We already see things "move faster than the speed of light" too, but that doesn't break relativity because it is considered to be space that is moving.
    Last edited by Metamorph; 08-09-2022 at 08:42 AM.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are describing a closed system. Heat death refers to thermodynamics more than astronomy, but it's mostly referred to in the context of the cosmological idea that the Universe will just whimper out due to entropy. Black holes aren't predators. Many people think that black holes lead out to white holes or wormholes, and Stephen Hawking says black holes do give out radiation (Hawking radiation.) I tend to think they probably "lead out" to just regular stars or nebulas nowadays (perhaps only specific kinds.) People like Stephen Hawking seem promoted by the pop-sci channels and publishers more for their cynicism than that they know what they're talking about in many cases. However, the idea that there wasn't really "nothingness" before the Universe is probably something very spot-on that got through the usual sieve of cynicism and politics.

Edit: I also think probably the "gravitational objects beyond the universe" is most likely to match the description of black holes and that the opposite would be a point where things entered the universe. I don't think of it as this Darwinist thing, indeed, I don't think Darwin had a good model even of evolution, much less pseudoscientifically applying Darwin's version of evolution to astronomy. I brought up braneworlds because it seems more describable in terms of low-dimension topology than anything (which M-Theory is not but other less popular models like Randall-Sundrum 2 are. Yes, three-dimensional surfaces of four-dimensional objects are covered by low-dimensional topology and not high-dimensional topology.) I think it's mostly related to the speed of light being finite and surfaces curving in a 4-dimensional space interacting with that. We already see things "move faster than the speed of light" too, but that doesn't break relativity because it is considered to be space that is moving.
    I'm aware of Hawking Radiation. I learned about it very recently. I don't understand much of your "Edit" paragraph cause I'm not familiar with those concepts (sorry). However about the speed of light, If I understand correctly, the universe expansion is faster than the speed of light, if we consider space as the field in which light travel. So expansion must be "ahead" so to speak for light to travel in it. I might be wrong though, I'm just an aficionado.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm aware of Hawking Radiation. I learned about it very recently. I don't understand much of your "Edit" paragraph cause I'm not familiar with those concepts (sorry). However about the speed of light, If I understand correctly, the universe expansion is faster than the speed of light, if we consider space as the field in which light travel. So expansion must be "ahead" so to speak for light to travel in it. I might be wrong though, I'm just an aficionado.
    That's not actually necessary. Light doesn't have to have space moving ahead of it to exist as far as anyone knows. It seems just as coherent for it to bounce off or for it to just be extinguished when it hits a boundary, or for it to keep circling around a topologically round and continuous surface. The fact of space moving ahead of light is kind of vaguely-suggestive of the Kaluza-Klein theory though. Not indicative, just suggestive.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a silver bullet or anything, but this looks promising: Ammonia as a hydrogen-based fuel store. The nice thing is that it can be burned inside existing coal-fired power plants.

https://cen.acs.org/business/petroch...l-future/99/i8

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debatable whether we should call it global warming or climate change, but anyone who says nothing is happening is living under a rock.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    Debatable whether we should call it global warming or climate change, but anyone who says nothing is happening is living under a rock.
    Well, "global warming" implies a change in the climate because of the elevation of temperature on a global scale.

"Climate change" is less precise it doesn't specify the causes of the change, the nature of it ( is it warmer or cooler ) nore the scale (global or local).

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish climate here was warmer.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, "global warming" implies a change in the climate because of the elevation of temperature on a global scale.

"Climate change" is less precise it doesn't specify the causes of the change, the nature of it ( is it warmer or cooler ) nore the scale (global or local).
    I get it, but the term "global warming" is oft misunderstood because some people thinks it means there cannot be local cooling. I see what you are saying and I think from a purely logical standpoint, the definition makes sense, but it's also easy to misinterpret by laypeople so I don't know which term is better.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I wish climate here was warmer.
    This is interesting, because while I think some areas will experience some benefits (warmer winters in extremely cold places), the consequences of global warming will mostly be disastrous everywhere. Melting ice caps means more rain, which means more precipitation in areas susceptible to floods, rising sea levels means ports (which the economy is heavily reliant on) will be engulfed and damaged. Siberian cities have many older buildings which are susceptible to collapsing due to less stable terrain from melting permafrost. And some parts of Australia will become inhabitable.

I think the cons of gloabl warming outweight the pros, based on the evidence I have.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting, because while I think some areas will experience some benefits (warmer winters in extremely cold places), the consequences of global warming will mostly be disastrous everywhere. Melting ice caps means more rain, which means more precipitation in areas susceptible to floods, rising sea levels means ports (which the economy is heavily reliant on) will be engulfed and damaged. Siberian cities have many older buildings which are susceptible to collapsing due to less stable terrain from melting permafrost. And some parts of Australia will become inhabitable.

I think the cons of gloabl warming outweight the pros, based on the evidence I have.
    But don't you think, that we live in the ending of the Little Ice Age and such changes are quite natural?

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

But don't you think, that we live in the ending of the Little Ice Age and such changes are quite natural?
    If you consider CEO2 emissions caused by pollution, de-forestation, and so forth natural, yes.

Saying "it is natural" is often a way to make people apathetic and cynical. "It is natural, so let's just relax and do nothing about it".

I am not a climate expert but I don't think we are considered to be living in any ice age, little or not.

The problem is that this also a question of economics. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. Our economic model has consequences that are destroying that planet (with global warming being largely a consequence of ceo2 emissions and de-forestation), so it's up to us to decide if we want to double down or try a different economic model.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbh climate change sounds more plausible than gravity. Like wtf is this mysterious and invisible force and why does it exist? Does anyone really know?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you consider CEO2 emissions caused by pollution, de-forestation, and so forth natural, yes.

Saying "it is natural" is often a way to make people apathetic and cynical. "It is natural, so let's just relax and do nothing about it".

I am not a climate expert but I don't think we are considered to be living in any ice age, little or not.

The problem is that this also a question of economics. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. Our economic model has consequences that are destroying that planet (with global warming being largely a consequence of ceo2 emissions and de-forestation), so it's up to us to decide if we want to double down or try a different economic model.
    Yes, of course living creatures have some impact on climate. Humans are the kings of this planet and they surely has had huge influence on the planet. It would be stupid to argue differently.

Yet, this whole climate change thing is a religion made by business to benefit business.

Also, this past month was amazing here. Everyday was +30C. I could ride a bike twice a day every day. (j/k of course)

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we had a better timing in terms of previsions, impacts and speed of the phenomenon, we could have a better idea about the regions which could benefit from the change.This will probably make some once inhospitable areas look like heaven and vice versa. If we could have an idea of where those areas are right now, I'm sure that some Businessmen and real estate companies would be interested ahah. Maybe it's time to buy some cheap land in the sahel region or in Alaska ahaha !

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes, of course living creatures have some impact on climate. Humans are the kings of this planet and they surely has had huge influence on the planet. It would be stupid to argue differently.

Yet, this whole climate change thing is a religion made by business to benefit business.

Also, this past month was amazing here. Everyday was +30C. I could ride a bike twice a day every day. (j/k of course)
    Why do you think that (bolded)? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I am curious as to the reasoning here.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast