Thread: Why do we type?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Why do we type?

Everyone seems so determined to figure out others type and clarify their own? Why? Does it do more good or harm in the long run? Sometimes, we just type people for the sake of doing it even if we won't ever see again, is it to fulfill our curiosity? To type or not to type, that is the question. :wink:
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In most cases, just curiosity.

Occasionally I wonder if it might give some clues as to why someone and I don't get along so I can get some ideas about how to make things better.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone seems so determined to figure out others type and clarify their own? Why?
    For a better understanding of themselves and the people they interact with on a regular basis.

Does it do more good or harm in the long run?
    Depends on how well you know it and the purposes to which you use it.

Sometimes, we just type people for the sake of doing it even if we won't ever see tgen, is it to fulfill our curiosity?
    If you're curious about it, yes. If not, it is probably more of a field exercise.

To type or not to type, that is the question.
    Type.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I know this seems like a pretty simple question. However, everyone types people because they wish to gain an understanding of the world around them. I want to know why people type eachother for independent reasons. Also, a lot of people just want to type someone to reveal a truth that is waiting to be revealed, however the hole only gets deeper and the truth becomes dimmer.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For clearer understanding and information filtering through bias removeal filters, and for causation solving leading to other implications.
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To understand socionics better. Now like others discussed recently this is only a model. It's all it can be since there are more than 16 people in this world. The benefit is that it can give us a better understanding of ourselves and others by providing a language and logic for social interactions.

Personally I have no problem indulging in this and stepping out of it at any moment, because modelling is what I'm trained to do. But (this is were I sound like an ass) if you can't separate models from reallity, which is a harder lesson to learn than one might think, it can indeed be harmful. It will give you false expectations, good or bad, that people won't live up to. It wil only be an organized system of prejudice.

/Takes my ass out of this thread. :wink:
    INFj

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that people who make/improve models are always open to inconsistencies in the system, in order to break it down into more detail.
    -Slava

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the main problems with modelling though is chosing the right scale. A theory describing 6.5 billions current and an infinite number of possible minds cannot cover every aspect. It will not give a complete view on each specific person. We just have to live with that. And adding more details may just as well make the model more complicated to use without adding any significant information. Much like Occams razor.
    INFj

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, it's just a part in growth that everyone goes through, and this is one fashion of such.

Just like anything, you learn it, learn the rules, understand, and the break the rules. Go full circle, gain a new perspective, new outlook. Etc etc etc.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is an elaboration of semantic meaning. trying to better your understanding by creating a shared language with which you can discuss shared observations. same problems as all language, it replaces observation with symbols that do not exist.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    it is an elaboration of semantic meaning. trying to better your understanding by creating a shared language with which you can discuss shared observations. same problems as all language, it replaces observation with symbols that do not exist.
    That's pretty much the way it is when naming any abstract phenomenon.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To take over the world and kidnap all the ISFp's.
    -Slava

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(That shouldn't be too hard, refering to the second one....)

I was waiting for someone else to say "taking over the world".... so that way, when I say it now, people will just think I'm copying you.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

notice that the puzzles with the outline on the cardboard is easier to figure out than those without outlines? :wink:
    INFP

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    However, everyone types people because they wish to gain an understanding of the world around them.
    Er, not really. Knowing someone's type ultimately results in increased understanding, but the typing phenomenon itself is more like along the lines of following celebrities' lives, taking drugs, or doing sudoku puzzles. It's easy, it's interesting as hell, and you'll never run out of things to do with six billion people in the world.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I just needed to talk about something scientific...well, though it's only soft science or pseudoscience.

But it now seems to get around to a bunch of who's the boss games, or agony columns.
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because if I type I can guess the best strategy to get into a girl's pants, of course. :wink:
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit