Thread: Two friends compared

Hybrid View

A man chooses, a slave obeys MensSuperMateriam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    EDIT: Also, just for the record, I just read this thread, and I identify a lot with what you have said.
    I'm curious, which points/aspects specially?

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MensSuperMateriam View Post
    I'm curious, which points/aspects specially?
    Let me just start by saying that there were quite a few so I will just pick ones that stand out to me the most.

-I'm a hypochondriac too. I'm usually wary of pretty much any strange sensation in my body, but my LSE father who is a doctor usually just says it's nothing and I shut up. I also have the need to understand all of my quirks, psychological or otherwise, so I end up giving myself all kinds of diagnoses.

-My texts don't sound overly Ni either. Ni in communication is something that someone almost has to activate in me for it to really come out. IEIs do this for me rather easily.

-I feel the need to "transform something that already exists or to build something that has yet to become".

-I live inside my mind.

-I don't find it hard to express my ideas in a way that can be grasped by everyone. You mentioned that ILIs can have a tendency to almost start talking to themselves when they are relaying ideas. Usually when that happens it's because I'm hashing out the idea for the first time, and I start to pay attention to my own thoughts, which are often visual in nature. Once I'm done understanding it myself I don't have a problem with relaying it in a simple fashion.

-Your comment on mental states and symbolism, I understand also.

This entire post of yours really strikes a chord with me:

But the truth is I can be really
    polemicist when I'm in a heated discussion and I know many people dislike this aspect of myself (if not myself as a whole) both here and IRL.

I have not said inflexible (neither I think I am), but I tend to state my opinion as it is, usually without too much consideration about being politically correct. If I have to be disliked because of this well, so be it. But I do not try to impose my POV; when I do this is usually because the other person is not debating in a neutral way.
    I'm notactively unpleasant as long as the other person isn't either, but I have little patience with those who see themselves as "right by default" (or other forms of bullshit, like I see things you cannot because X function) and interact with me in such way. Then I'll try to smash them as hard as I can.

With those who are more or less neutral, I usually have no problem.
    I realize a lot of types could probably identify with these points, but, whatever, here you go.

Considering how much you already know about Socionics, I'm actually a little surprised that you haven't found type descriptions helpful enough to make a typing (I assume).
    Last edited by Contra; 07-16-2014 at 05:10 AM.

A man chooses, a slave obeys MensSuperMateriam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    -I'm a hypochondriac too. I'm usually wary of pretty much any strange sensation in my body, but my LSE father who is a doctor usually just says it's nothing and I shut up. I also have the need to understand all of my quirks, psychological or otherwise, so I end up giving myself all kinds of diagnoses.
    Good to know that I'm not alone... Even if I'm quite skeptical about his dichotomies, Reinin has made imo a good work in his type descriptions, pointing some aspects in them which are quite consistent. ILIs are supposed to be more hypochondriac than the average person, and also in a way that they're difficult for being diagnosed, with all sort of unusual, hard to be described, symptoms. It fits with Si being simultaneously unvalued but conscious, but not too weak for being "ignored", hence Role. True that a particular characteristic could manifest in many individuals for different reasons, but some statistical deviation should usually manifest.

-I don't find it hard to express my ideas in a way that can be grasped by everyone. You mentioned that ILIs can have a tendency to almost start talking to themselves when they are relaying ideas. Usually when that happens it's because I'm hashing out the idea for the first time, and I start to pay attention to my own thoughts, which are often visual in nature. Once I'm done understanding it myself I don't have a problem with relaying it in a simple fashion.
    Makes sense. I guess some ILIs just do not care if understood or not, and do not take the time and effort in it (ignoring people). Sociability and enneagram factors could contribute to this; a 5w6 will usually write/speak in a more understandable style than a 5w4, for example.

Considering how much you already know about Socionics, I'm actually a little surprised that you haven't found type descriptions helpful enough to make a typing (I assume).
    If I focus in type descriptions, ILI fits better than the alternatives.

But you know, there are individuals who are quite close to the archetype, and individuals who are not so close. Most people are full of contradictions; they will manifest a set of behaviors which are not internally consistent. In this case some people opt for choosing a particular coherent set and they stablish their self-type accordingly, but in this process they are ignoring what doesn't fit. I see this a bit arbitrary and prone to bias. Add to this that the correlation supposed cause->supposed effect depend on a particular interpretation of the topic. Proving the accuracy of one interpretation above the other is usually not possible, except in the most senseless cases.

As there's no way of objectively determining a solution, I prefer assigning a degree of confidence to potential types than picking one of them as the answer. In the process, I like to gather as much data as I can.
    Last edited by MensSuperMateriam; 07-16-2014 at 01:24 PM.